'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by 🏀
[Today at 04:02:44 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 02:26:40 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:42:55 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bench Koby  (Read 8422 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Bench Koby
« on: February 02, 2021, 06:16:40 PM »
I'm tired of it all. I'm tired of the TOs. I'm tired of the useless dribbling. I'm tired of the out-of-control play.

jesmu84

• All American
This is D1 basketball?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 06:17:33 PM »
Where are the good instincts? Where are the fundamentals? Where is any semblance of on-court IQ?

JakeBarnes

• All American
Is Basketball?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 06:18:21 PM »
I dunno. I just wanted to join the jesmu84 thread starting train.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: This is D1 basketball?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 06:18:54 PM »
My favorite is Wojo’s press break. Inbound to the corner then hope you can make a cross court pass. Grade school stuff right there
No Finish Line

Johnny B

• All American
Re: Bench Koby
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 06:19:32 PM »
thing is who else ya got

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 06:19:51 PM »
You could literally see the approach and energy change after Jamal's dunk.   They acted like it was over
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 06:20:08 PM »
thing is who else ya got

Dexter's mixtapes.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 06:20:55 PM »
And Koby made a nice defensive play late.  Yes, the chronic dragging of feet is frustrating.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 06:24:34 PM »
You could literally see the approach and energy change after Jamal's dunk.   They acted like it was over

The turns Tower are  95% totally unforced.  That's what's so maddening.  5-7 traveling violations?  WTF?

dyckesville

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 06:26:17 PM »
And his useless dribbling, his feeling with <7 sec left he has to shoot, his 1' passes and his attitude

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 06:29:54 PM »
I guess I'm odd.  Koby is about the only consistently confident player MU has.  He waves people off on presses, is the only one to drive when the shot clock is winding down.  We need more of that.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 06:34:58 PM by rocky_warrior »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 06:31:24 PM »
I guess I'm odd.  Koby is about the only consistently confident player MU have.  He waves people off on presses, is the only one to drive when the shot clock is winding down.  We need more of that.

Agreed Koby drives me insane but given our current cast I'd take him over anybody on the bench and two of five of our starters
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 06:33:25 PM »
The options we have if we benched him are worse.  I can't remember the last time Torrence made an outside shot and Elliott seemingly can't defend at all.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 06:35:58 PM »
I can't remember the last time Torrence made an outside shot

Speaking of - he must MURDER the 3s in practice.  I can't explain why he's launching them all the time otherwise.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 06:38:51 PM »
Yeah, start Symir.  He will shoot 1 for 8 from field, miss both of his front end free throws and have five turnovers.

Yeah, start Dexter.  He won’t score, will travel 7 times but will play good defense.

Yeah, start Elliott.  He subs for Cain, but is really, really deep in the doghouse now.  He made one bad turnover in first half and sat. Played one minute in first half and no time in second half. 

Live or die with Koby.  But Wojo has problem for next year, he needs to get some quality transfers. 

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 06:40:54 PM »
is 12% from 3 bad? last time he hit one was a last second prayer against uconn i think

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 07:00:32 PM »
Live or die with Koby.  But Wojo has problem for next year, he needs to get some quality transfers.

Yeah, agreed.  I'm certainly not trying to claim Koby hasn't been making lots of mistakes.  But he's about our most consistent guard in terms of scoring, and certainly defense.  His handle is about as good as anyone else (right now) too. 

Koby is essentially what I'd hoped Dex would be this year.  I guess I have to to now hope Dex is what Koby is this year.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 07:07:37 PM »
Agreed Koby drives me insane but given our current cast I'd take him over anybody on the bench and two of five of our starters

Our bench with a healthy Justin?!?!?!
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 07:11:11 PM »
Piling on but yes, who replaces Koby when he is benched? Sy can't dribble, penetrate, distribute or shoot and is in a close debate with Greg for worst defensive player on the team. Dex? Jose?

Koby is frustrating but has improved his penetration and shooting. He also defends the opponents top scoring wing. Without DJ this year we'd be hard pressed to advance the ball to front court but Koby is the third or fourth best player on a five or six player team.

Here's hoping Stevie can contribute next season. I'd expect Cam to sit on the end of the bench unless he's much better than advertised. We need one from the transfer portal to compete and if DJ leaves we need another one of the top PG's in the portal to simply stay the course.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 07:14:28 PM »
Yeah, agreed.  I'm certainly not trying to claim Koby hasn't been making lots of mistakes.  But he's about our most consistent guard in terms of scoring, and certainly defense.  His handle is about as good as anyone else (right now) too. 

Koby is essentially what I'd hoped Dex would be this year.  I guess I have to to now hope Dex is what Koby is this year.

Dex has scored eight points the entire year with seven turnovers.  Almost a match.  He is basically a sophomore.  He has not made one three pointer.  You really do not want me to tell you what Symir has done in his second year. 

Dickie brought up the fact Koby could actually return next year.  He is not NBA, heck probably not even Euro/Asian league capable.  Not going to happen though.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2021, 07:17:58 PM »
Dex has scored eight points the entire year with seven turnovers.  Almost a match.

Just said I'm hoping!  A man can dream  :P 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2021, 07:40:18 PM »
Koby has to play.   There aren't options.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2021, 07:47:46 PM »
Sorry jes, but this is an absolutely ridiculous thread.

And that's saying something for Scoop.

As frustrating as he can be sometimes, Koby plays hard, plays defense, plays with passion, usually makes FTs. He had the winning bucket in our previous win with a great, aggressive drive.

And, as a number of our fellow Scoopers say, there simply isn't a better option.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2021, 07:58:46 PM »
The options we have if we benched him are worse.  I can't remember the last time Torrence made an outside shot and Elliott seemingly can't defend at all.

Greg has never been the same physically since his surgeries. That should be obvious to the most casual observer. Greg's role is best shooter on the team, 3's, FT's, anywhere, and to come off of the bench and provide just that.

He is also the most basketball smart player on the team. His problem is physically he can only move like he is running through sand, slow. He'd be one of MU's best players without the injuries and surgeries. But he is permanently, physically limited in his movement.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2021, 08:02:07 PM »
I guess I'm odd.  Koby is about the only consistently confident player MU has.  He waves people off on presses, is the only one to drive when the shot clock is winding down.  We need more of that.

7 turnovers is unacceptable any time. With that said, Koby is the best 2/3 player on the team. In the thread hypothetical of which player would you like back next year, Koby was an easy choice. This team is not strong at the 2/3 and that only looks to be worse next year.