[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ben McCollum  (Read 8923 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Ben McCollum
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2020, 10:27:15 PM »
If a guy can coach and recruit, he’ll succeed. Ryan had a cup of coffee at UWM and started winning in Madison from day 1

So cause he coached well at D2 he can recruit? Again, McCollum hasn’t experienced a single minute of D-1 basketball as a player, assistant, or HC.

Bo Ryan was a D1 assistant before Platteville, and still spent 2 full seasons at UWM. False equivalency

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2020, 10:27:38 PM »
Whatever!! So you think they would have bombed and been losers had they done so? Asinine

Thanks for playing Cher, you’ve made you’re point.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2020, 10:29:04 PM »
So cause he coached well at D2 he can recruit? Again, McCollum hasn’t experienced a single minute of D-1 basketball as a player, assistant, or HC.

Bo Ryan was a D1 assistant before Platteville, and still spent 2 full seasons at UWM. False equivalency

Go back and read my first reply. I’m not advocating for the guy. Just saying it shouldn’t be completely discounted.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 10:30:06 PM »
Whatever!! So you think they would have bombed and been losers had they done so? Asinine

I didn't say that. I think their experience at lower levels helped them to succeed though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 10:36:53 PM »
Go back and read my first reply. I’m not advocating for the guy. Just saying it shouldn’t be completely discounted.

That’s fine. Find an example of it working and report back.

Otherwise it’s like looking for gold in a coal mine cause it’s still a mine and it might work, shouldn’t totally discount it!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2020, 10:39:02 PM »
Chris Beard, Bo Ryan, John Beilein, etc.  starting and succeeding in d II shouldn’t just be discounted as no way the coach will prosper in d I.  He would be a gamble but a winner with a high ceiling potentially imo.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2020, 10:51:04 PM »
Chris Beard, Bo Ryan, John Beilein, etc.  starting and succeeding in d II shouldn’t just be discounted as no way the coach will prosper in d I.  He would be a gamble but a winner with a high ceiling potentially imo.

Are you purposefully ignoring everything here in which McCollum or guys at the UW schools mentioned have nothing in common with Beard or Ryan, background wise, and Beilein made the jump 30 years ago at a school that is a buy game for us.

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2020, 10:52:10 PM »

UWGB hired the head coach of the D2 champions a couple years ago. Guy with Midwest roots and everything. And he’s been...OK.

The outliers are usually just outliers.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2020, 11:00:11 PM »
Are you purposefully ignoring everything here in which McCollum or guys at the UW schools mentioned have nothing in common with Beard or Ryan, background wise, and Beilein made the jump 30 years ago at a school that is a buy game for us.

So coaches that took teams to the Final Four would have otherwise all been failures had they made immediate jump from sub D-1 directly to a P6 program? They would have all been irrelevant were it not for stops at low or mid majors?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2020, 11:14:13 PM »
So coaches that took teams to the Final Four would have otherwise all been failures had they made immediate jump from sub D-1 directly to a P6 program? They would have all been irrelevant were it not for stops at low or mid majors?

Those coaches you mention.

1) spent time at high major programs as an assistant for nearly a decade each.

2) these coaches cut their teeth at a non-P6 school

McCollum has neither. He was a D2 assistant. We gave the most recent example of someone who has number 1 and not number 2, and how it failed. Having neither is a recipe for disaster

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2020, 11:27:30 PM »
Those coaches you mention.

1) spent time at high major programs as an assistant for nearly a decade each.

2) these coaches cut their teeth at a non-P6 school

McCollum has neither. He was a D2 assistant. We gave the most recent example of someone who has number 1 and not number 2, and how it failed. Having neither is a recipe for disaster

Yes, point taken that zero high D-1 experience of any type is not going to be a recipe for success at a program like ours.

Ryan had been away from major D-1 a long time though before making his way back though, pretty sure all the way back to failed Coefield regime!  Otherwise  Platteville and UWM for only two years.  So it wasn’t way off from being a straight jump.  And that’s why I go back if a guy can coach and run a program, he’ll have success no matter the path. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2020, 11:40:06 AM »
Lol. There’s more talent on AAU teams then DII, should Scholl look there?
Scholl better be looking before a freight train hits him blindside.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2020, 11:45:19 AM »
UWGB hired the head coach of the D2 champions a couple years ago. Guy with Midwest roots and everything. And he’s been...OK.

The outliers are usually just outliers.

Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2020, 11:49:04 AM »
However you slice it .. Marquette needs a coach who can make something with nothing .. increase the value beyond the sum of their parts.   

MU needs a coach who knows his way around a junkyard.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2020, 11:53:20 AM »
I suggest one look at Linc Darner's resume prior to taking the job in Green Bay.
After five years he's 91-79 in the Horizon League.

Usually the D2 guys are best served by proving it at a lower D1 level.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2020, 12:00:37 PM »
Hologram Al benefits...

-No threat to get Coronavirus
-Reasonably inexpensive
-Stan can do Stan things still
-Can literally recruit at infinity places at once
-Appeals to sweater vest crowd
-No other program has a hologram coach

Just sayin...

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2020, 12:01:16 PM »
However you slice it .. Marquette needs a coach who can make something with nothing .. increase the value beyond the sum of their parts.   

I agree with this analysis.  All the successful coaches at MU, minus Crean, have been brash renegades.  Maybe Wojo would be better somewhere else, but he’s been a poor fit for MU.  Unfortunately, he was exactly the type of guy MU was looking to hire when he got the job, and the kind they still seem to want in place.  I’m not sure we’ll see another “stick it to the man” type of coach at Marquette anytime soon.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2020, 12:10:52 PM »
Name one who went right to the high major level and had success

Wags

Beilein went from D II to DI and quickly turned around a theretofore uncompetitive Canisius.

But Beilein is likely the exception.

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2020, 12:21:40 PM »
Some weird cats out tonight including some amateur psychologists...must have stayed at a holiday inn last night. 

Let me know when you have a good reason why this guy killing it nationally in d II is a bad choice.

A good reason?  How about three?

1. Dawson Garcia  (6'11")
   2. Justin Lewis      (6'7.5" with a 7'2" wingspan)
   3. Osasere Ighodaro   (6'9")

With Markus and Sacar having to score from the wing, Marquette could be neutralized by players with great length.   Wojo noticed and that's why we have the above three coming in and why MU will be awfully hard to score on starting next year.  Unless, of course,  we fire Wojo and they're most likely all gone, and we will have something very close to DePaul while the new guy figures out what's needed and how to recruit it, if he ever can recruit it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 12:23:31 PM by 4everDawson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2020, 01:09:17 PM »
Wags

Beilein went from D II to DI and quickly turned around a theretofore uncompetitive Canisius.
But Beilein is likely the exception.

Agreed he's likely an exception, but even with Beilein, he went 10 years and 6 postseason (2 NCAA, 4 NIT) berths before he got to a level that coaching at Marquette would be at.  And again, I think high level D-1 and D2 are different by even greater scales than they were in the early 90s.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2020, 01:15:13 PM »
A good reason?  How about three?

1. Dawson Garcia  (6'11")
   2. Justin Lewis      (6'7.5" with a 7'2" wingspan)
   3. Osasere Ighodaro   (6'9")

With Markus and Sacar having to score from the wing, Marquette could be neutralized by players with great length.   Wojo noticed and that's why we have the above three coming in and why MU will be awfully hard to score on starting next year.  Unless, of course,  we fire Wojo and they're most likely all gone, and we will have something very close to DePaul while the new guy figures out what's needed and how to recruit it, if he ever can recruit it.

Maybe we’ll be hard to score on, but more likely the freshmen will be freshmen and take awhile to adjust to playing defense at the college level.  And the guard situation next year does not look great at the moment.  We plugged one hole and another’s opening right up.

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2020, 02:03:49 PM »

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2020, 07:04:33 PM »

Yep. That’s our brand. We’re so off brand right now it’s unrecognizable. Do not like.
No Finish Line

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2020, 08:20:50 PM »
Yep. That’s our brand. We’re so off brand right now it’s unrecognizable. Do not like.

Bo Ryan is for hire....

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2020, 08:27:16 PM »
Maybe we’ll be hard to score on, but more likely the freshmen will be freshmen and take awhile to adjust to playing defense at the college level.  And the guard situation next year does not look great at the moment.  We plugged one hole and another’s opening right up.
I have a feeling our starting guards will be Symir and Greg. Not bad, but we need depth. If Mane signs, we will have a decent backcourt. Cain or Bailey have to step up and lead the youth at the 3. Garcia at the 4, and John at the 5. Lewis and Osa to be brought along slowly. That's not a bad team.

Wojo has my vote for another year.