Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ben Howland  (Read 13508 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Ben Howland
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2015, 12:48:11 PM »
I'm with Chitown.  The season needs to start.  But I will say the most ridiculous thing I've read here is that somehow #mubb is separate from the core university is some way and should therefore be held to a lower standard. That's pure horse crap.  In some ways,  as visible representatives of the school,  standards should begin there. Part of the problem with our two coaches before Wojo is that they believed themselves to be bigger than the university.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2015, 12:50:16 PM »
This is the strangest debate I have read on Scoop yet.

Howland is the coach at Mississippi State. Let's all wish him well, just not too well. And will there be the hand-wringing if Cuanzo Martin at Cal does really well too?

Here's the reality. Wojo is our coach. He has an absolutely outstanding recruiting class with a wonderful headliner recruit building on the core of what was already here (which wasn't much, but a little). And we're doing things the right way that we hope reflects our values as a people and as a university.

We need to see what Wojo can do as a floor coach and motivator. And, his long-term highest level success depends on how well Henry Ellenson does this year -- and maybe for all or parts of the next two -- and whether he puts his players in the NBA.

I expect Wojo to be here for many years and I am optimistic that the banner in the NE corner of the Bradley Center soon will have some friends. I don't care about Howland, Cuanzo or Tommy Crean and the Hillbilly for that matter. You Scoopers shouldn't either unless you are Bulldog, Bear, Hoosier or Hillbilly fans.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2015, 03:23:34 PM »
I'm with Chitown.  The season needs to start.  But I will say the most ridiculous thing I've read here is that somehow #mubb is separate from the core university is some way and should therefore be held to a lower standard. That's pure horse crap.  In some ways,  as visible representatives of the school,  standards should begin there. Part of the problem with our two coaches before Wojo is that they believed themselves to be bigger than the university.

There have been people here (some) that have believed this for many years.  Win at all costs, academics mean nothing, basically a minor league sports situation.

Blows my mind, but just win baby is it for many

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »
There have been people here (some) that have believed this for many years.  Win at all costs, academics mean nothing, basically a minor league sports situation.

Kind of remind me of what's going on at Bloomington.  Only hold kids responsible when the public/media gets a hold of the police reports.

Blows my mind.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2015, 03:31:00 PM »
I need to defend myself and take some shots. First, same story from the two managers at different times. I think, based on the description, this would be the right game. Second, for God's sake, the nitpickers failed to understand the purpose of the story--Al could get away with this stuff and it was not even questioned and entirely normal. Now, it raises the hackles of the resident puritans. Again, lighten up.

Calm down.

I thoroughly understand the purpose of the story.  I also understand that it occurred 40 years ago when there was a lower drinking age, no social media and a different understanding of what the responsibilities were between students and employees of a university.

So it wasn't just Al that could get away with this stuff.  Many coaches could.  Many coaches did.  Al would never get away with this stuff now.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2015, 03:55:42 PM »

+1

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2015, 05:31:38 PM »
@jeffborzello: This is the fourth straight week that Mississippi State has landed a four-star prospect -- third straight week getting an ESPN 100 prospect.

@jeffborzello: With Abdul Ado in the fold, Mississippi State now has the No. 6-ranked recruiting class in the country.

Howland paying kids $$$? Starksville is crap

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2015, 05:34:09 PM »
Could you imagine if DePaul had nabbed him?
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback