'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ben Howland  (Read 2302 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Ben Howland
« on: March 23, 2014, 11:22:11 AM »
As much as everybody thinks he would be great for MU, I am not sure.  The players at UCLA and Bill Walton were not happy with his style of play, not sure MU fans would be as well.  Is he to
old at 56 to recruit as hard as Buzz did.  As hard as Buzz recruited, Buzz had many misses.  More misses than you think.  Is it the University, located in cold Milwaukee.  Not sure they got that
break out recruit from Chicago, and do you really think Buzz would have left if Diamond Stone told him he was coming to MU or even John Ellenson?  Lose all the top recruits in your state.  Kevon Looney this year, so maybe Buzz was not as liked as you think?  Pressure on Buzz would be intense then, another reason why he left.  So in saying that, I will throw the name in the ring,
Archie Miller.  Up and comer, young, I think it is a young mans game in recruiting and MU has the resources to get it done.  Howland might be a safe pick, but to me his career is over.

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Ben Howland
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 11:23:12 AM »
lol
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 11:25:29 AM »
A lot of "old" coaches who recruit very well and have great success.
Recruits wants to develop and win.  Howland does both.
I prefer a few other coaches but I dont thnink he is a bad choice.

I would hate Miller.  Only because he would bolt at any better offer.  His stay at MU would be extremely short.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 12:03:39 PM »
Recruits want the coach to help them get to the Association. Age means nothin' else.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 12:06:28 PM »
Larry Brown is doing well. He is over 70 years old.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 12:08:07 PM »
Recruits want the coach to help them get to the Association. Age means nothin' else.

This. It's why Larry Brown has attracted talent to the wasteland that was SMU basketball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 12:10:40 PM »
As much as everybody thinks he would be great for MU, I am not sure.  The players at UCLA and Bill Walton were not happy with his style of play, not sure MU fans would be as well.  Is he to
old at 56 to recruit as hard as Buzz did.  As hard as Buzz recruited, Buzz had many misses.  More misses than you think.  Is it the University, located in cold Milwaukee.  Not sure they got that
break out recruit from Chicago, and do you really think Buzz would have left if Diamond Stone told him he was coming to MU or even John Ellenson?  Lose all the top recruits in your state.  Kevon Looney this year, so maybe Buzz was not as liked as you think?  Pressure on Buzz would be intense then, another reason why he left.  So in saying that, I will throw the name in the ring,
Archie Miller.  Up and comer, young, I think it is a young mans game in recruiting and MU has the resources to get it done.  Howland might be a safe pick, but to me his career is over.

You mean like Michigan State in East Lansing?

Or Maybe Syracuse New York.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 12:12:53 PM »
"Marquette should hire Saul but they are going hard after Shaka Smart and he is listening. a source with in the process says 60% percent this happens !"

could be blowing smoke but his would be a dream
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

nyg

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 12:13:49 PM »
After reading various threads, articles, etc.  I firmly believe Howland is option #2 or #3 for MU right now.  Howland is interested in MU and MU is interested in Howland.  Interest is not wanted at this point.  That is why no offer yet.  If he was the one, then the presser is Monday.

I believe MU is waiting for an answer from Smart or interest answer from Marshall's camp/agent or an off the charts coach.  If they declined, then its Howland.  Everyone will have their thoughts, we'll see what happens.  

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 12:14:47 PM »
Howland is my second choice, but very solid choice if it happens. Impressive resume and well known name. This is not a guy who needs to be reintroduced to college ball scene.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 12:16:12 PM »
Uhhhhh...ok
No Finish Line

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 12:22:34 PM »
NYC

With you across the board.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 12:25:38 PM »
After reading various threads, articles, etc.  I firmly believe Howland is option #2 or #3 for MU right now.  Howland is interested in MU and MU is interested in Howland.  Interest is not wanted at this point.  That is why no offer yet.  If he was the one, then the presser is Monday.

I believe MU is waiting for an answer from Smart or interest answer from Marshall's camp/agent or an off the charts coach.  If they declined, then its Howland.  Everyone will have their thoughts, we'll see what happens.  

I hope that's the case, what a great position to be in.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 12:27:56 PM »

+1 - my thoughts exactly...no reason to not offer it to Howland right now, if MU felt other potential candidates were still in play:  Shaka, Marshall, Saul Phillips..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

nyg

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »
I hope that's the case, what a great position to be in.

I can only base my thoughts on logic at this point and it appears to be the scenario. MU is vetting this properly and not jumping like last time.  Everybody will have their own thoughts, but I will stick to this and hope it works out for all, especially the current and incoming players. 

BTW, Marshall has had this success with one stars, two stars and walk-ons at WSU.  Can't imagine what he or Smart would do with four star recruits.  

feedback