[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ben-Eze not coming to practice?  (Read 2947 times)

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
Ben-Eze not coming to practice?
« on: August 27, 2007, 04:06:22 PM »
According to Yahoo sports section Ben-Eze will not get to Marquette until Wednesday?

Quiet start in the Big East

Big man Frank Ben-Eze of Virginia's Bishop O'Connell High School isn't making a trip this weekend to Marquette. Instead, he'll arrive at the Wisconsin school on Wednesday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=rivals-153569&prov=rivals&type=story_recruiting

Not sure how accurate it is?  Anyone have any update?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 04:10:17 PM by Strokin 3s »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Ben-Eze not coming to practice?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 04:08:06 PM »
According to Yahoo sports section Ben-Eze will not get to market until Wednesday?

More perplexing - did you really just type "market" for "Marquette"???

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 04:10:47 PM »
Long day and have been watching futures pricing go up.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 04:42:07 PM »
He will be here on tues and weds

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 08:52:48 AM »
A certain big from Racine will also be there tonight.

And Mbwake will be practicing with the team, so he must be cleared, although not officially through the press yet.  Hate to say I told you so, but to those few who doubted the numerous reports, I told you so.

http://gomarquette.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/082707aae.html

The Golden Eagles took to the Al McGuire Center court Monday afternoon for the first time as a complete unit. MU's trio of freshmen, Scott Christopherson, Patrick Hazel and Trevor Mbakwe (33 in the picture), made their respective debuts and were quickly introduced to the fast-paced workout session.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 09:02:31 AM »
A certain big from Racine will also be there tonight.

McIlvaine?

Or do u mean a certain combo forward, roughly 6-7 and headed to Horlick this fall?

:D

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 09:22:28 AM »
And Mbwake will be practicing with the team, so he must be cleared, although not officially through the press yet.  Hate to say I told you so, but to those few who doubted the numerous reports, I told you so.

Remember that the NCAA often clears players to practice with a team before they clear them to actually play a game.  This happened with Lazar last year.  I imagine this is what is going on with Mbakwe.  You probably will not see an official press release until he is completely cleared (i.e. cleared to play in an actual game).

Lazar was cleared for practice for about 2 weeks before he was finally cleared for actual game play competition.  The good news is that this means things are moving along pretty well in the clearinghouse.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 09:39:12 AM »
Yeah, some Horlick player, I don't see what all the fuss is about.... ;D

The Lazar thing and Mbwake thing are different situations, they appear to be the same, but when it comes down to it they are not.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:41:37 AM by Djgoldnboy »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 09:57:51 AM »
Yeah, some Horlick player, I don't see what all the fuss is about.... ;D

The Lazar thing and Mbwake thing are different situations, they appear to be the same, but when it comes down to it they are not.

I think you are probably right about them being different... the problem is fans always relate one players situation to another's without knowing the specific circumstances (just the nature of being a speculative fan, I guess).

This why we need to trust the University President, AD, head coach, and the NCAA to make smart decisions regarding this kid's eligibility and future with MU. MU's track record with players and academics is pretty solid, so that's why I'm not too concerned about it.

Obviously the NCAA's rules can be a little bit confusing sometimes, so thats why its especially important to have competent staff in place at MU that knows the rules and knows how to enforce them with MU's best interest in mind.

The best case scenario would be for Trevor to become eligible and have a successful athletic and academic career (crossing my fingers).

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 10:15:33 AM »
This why we need to trust the University President, AD, head coach, and the NCAA to make smart decisions regarding this kid's eligibility and future with MU.

WHAT?    Clearly, internet forum dwellers have a lot more .. collective intelligence .. than that group.  We should be in charge.

Be gone, blasphemer!

;)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 10:34:18 AM »
Be gone, blasphemer!

Can a plagiarist post here?  ........I thought this bit was spot-on

"10 extra practices, +4 games, +1 open practice + recruits = HUGE!

;D

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 10:52:52 AM »
This why we need to trust the University President, AD, head coach, and the NCAA to make smart decisions regarding this kid's eligibility and future with MU.

WHAT?    Clearly, internet forum dwellers have a lot more .. collective intelligence .. than that group.  We should be in charge.

Be gone, blasphemer!

;)

:)

Like I said, I think MU's track record has been pretty good in this area for a long time, so I'm not too concerned about MU taking a chance on a recruit. Obviously if several players every season were having problems qualifying and subsequently graduating, I would be much more concerned. MU hasn't been without issues that past couple of seasons, but as long as the graduation rate stays up there, I don't think there is really a problem.

Most of MU's players have done pretty well academically once they are in the program, and if they don't, they don't play (Trend).

If/when Trevor qualifies and becomes a decent student and player... this will all be forgotten quickly.

As it stands now, the current MU administration should be trusted to do the right thing regarding recruit eligibility.

I don't want to always look through gold colored glasses, but I think you also have to temper all of the skepticism given MU's history with student athletes. 

feedback