Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ben Mills Anecdote  (Read 5335 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Ben Mills Anecdote
« on: April 15, 2010, 08:25:36 PM »
Ben Mills uncle was Al McGuire's first seven foot player, Mike "Spider" Mills. He was a member of MU's, 28 -1, 1970-71 team.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bilsu

• All American
Re: Ben Mills Anecdote
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 08:44:43 PM »
Mike Mills was 6'9" or 6'10". Butrym was his first 7'.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 09:03:29 PM »
So, in 1977 at the FF in ATL I was staying at a Howard Johnson's across from 6 Flags. MU cheerleaders were also there. The Warrior team was headquartered elsewhere. Returned to the motel after UNCC game and Craig "Big Buck, Motherf__k" Butrym was there spending a lot of time with his future wife, Kelly, a cheerleader.
So much time in fact, he was there on Sunday as well. I along with several friends ventured into the city on Sunday prior to championship Monday. Toured Underground Atlanta where I ran into Rick Majerus and some others in the entourage. Having worked side by side with Rick a few summers earlier, I felt comfortable going up to him and saying, "Rick, Butrym's been spending the entire weekend at our motel, aren't you concerned?" Whereby Majerus answers, "4ever, if we have to rely on Craig to beat UNC tomorrow, we're in trouble."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 09:08:30 PM »
So, in 1977 at the FF in ATL I was staying at a Howard Johnson's across from 6 Flags. MU cheerleaders were also there. The Warrior team was headquartered elsewhere. Returned to the motel after UNCC game and Craig "Big Buck, Motherf__k" Butrym was there spending a lot of time with his future wife, Kelly, a cheerleader.
So much time in fact, he was there on Sunday as well. I along with several friends ventured into the city on Sunday prior to championship Monday. Toured Underground Atlanta where I ran into Rick Majerus and some others in the entourage. Having worked side by side with Rick a few summers earlier, I felt comfortable going up to him and saying, "Rick, Butrym's been spending the entire weekend at our motel, aren't you concerned?" Whereby Majerus answers, "4ever, if we have to rely on Craig to beat UNC tomorrow, we're in trouble."

I bet you felt stupid.

Great story, thanks for bringing it up.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

swedishlumpyrudy

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:36:07 PM »
Did Majerus have a towel with him?

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 06:07:19 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 06:38:26 PM »

Craig had a major impact in that championship game per the box score.

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/ncaambask1977.shtml#boxs

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:18:27 PM »
This pretty much sums up what he did his entire MU career.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 09:55:18 AM »
He was one of about 5-6 guys on that team (actually all of Al's good teams were so structured) who knew he wouldn't be part of Al's 7-8 man rotation and was OK with that-----however he worked hard in practice to make the others better.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 10:11:18 AM »
Just one more way the game has changed.    Those guys who used to be content to be Al's practice squad now know they can still play D1 basketball for free at UWGB, UWM, Cleveland St.,  UIC, etc.   As evidenced by Roseboro, a modern recruit who arrives on campus and sees no chance of ever starting has options. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 02:33:58 PM »
Look at UNC's box score.  Dean Smith played everyone.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 06:44:04 PM »
Look at UNC's box score.  Dean Smith played everyone.

And still could find no answers.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 07:01:34 PM »
Butrym was there spending a lot of time with his future wife, Kelly, a cheerleader.

Kelly Linebarger was one beautiful coed. I bet she has aged well, too.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 06:19:52 AM »
i see craig around waukesha quite often-his kid-patrick went to catholic memorial with my kids-played football and basketball-is now starting linebacker/nose tackle for the badgers.  craig still looks like he could do some intramural ballin damage though

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 07:51:54 AM »
Just one more way the game has changed.    Those guys who used to be content to be Al's practice squad now know they can still play D1 basketball for free at UWGB, UWM, Cleveland St.,  UIC, etc.   As evidenced by Roseboro, a modern recruit who arrives on campus and sees no chance of ever starting has options. 

I don't know about you, but if I were given a choice between getting major minutes at UWGB or being basically a practice player at MU, I'd be Green Bay bound.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 08:05:06 AM »
Exactly my point, which is why I think that Murf's theory about Al's structure would not work today.    According to Murf, Al would recruit 7-8 solid players, and then fill the rest of his roster with guys who were never likely to be much more than practice fodder, making the stars better.   I don't think you can recruit a kid today by telling him that he will be practice fodder for 4 years, but at least he will get an MU education.    Not when that kid can go and actually play at UWGB, UWM, UIC, IUPFW, Wayne St, Wright St, etc.   Al's practice squad was made up of guys we now call low-major or mid-major talent.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 08:06:02 AM »

I don't know about you, but if I were given a choice between getting major minutes at UWGB or being basically a practice player at MU, I'd be Green Bay bound.

THAT is a great point.

How many more teams are out there now than in 1977? Many more options for kids.

Also, with the tournament expanding, you might see even less kids willing to "ride the pine" if they think they can go to a mid-major, play, and make the tournament.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 09:01:13 AM »

Generally agreed, but there are those who want an MU like experience.  If you  had grad school aspirations....or were looking for Cura Personalis, maybe MU is the place for you.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 10:56:48 AM »
Generally agreed, but there are those who want an MU like experience.  If you  had grad school aspirations....or were looking for Cura Personalis, maybe MU is the place for you.

I'd say those people are in the extremely small minority. 

Just because you go to UWGB doesn't mean you can't go to grad school at MU, also.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 02:43:17 PM »
I'd say those people are in the extremely small minority. 

Just because you go to UWGB doesn't mean you can't go to grad school at MU, also.

I agree that there are only a few of these guys, but you probably only want 1 per year, maybe 1 every other year.

I'm thinking David Diggs..Bart Mueller types...real Brainiacs who know they aren't going to the NBA.

Grad school comment was going anywhere to grad school, not necessarily MU.

feedback