'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bench starting from Pitt game  (Read 5488 times)

MarquetteDano

• All American
Bench starting from Pitt game
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:39:58 AM »
I will probably be lambasted for this, but we need more bench time starting from the Pitt game.  After the Pitt game there are no major breaks.  Cincy is only two days off after and it doesn't get easier after that.

Yes, I know that after Buycks off the bench there is a bit of a dropoff.  And even though we could hope for a blowout a some point to give some bench time, it may not happen for the rest of the year.  However, I really fear what happened to us in the Florida State game late... we looked tired.

Our bench had the following min recently...

USF: 24 min
PC:  31 min
Dep: 40 min
UConn: 26 min

Would like to see at least 35 min for Pitt preferably more.  Even at 35 min that still leaves an avg of 33 min per starter.

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Bench starting from Pitt game
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:08:53 AM »
I would not expect to see much, if anything, from Junior or EWill.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »
This game is too big.  all depends on the score, but expect buzz to stick with the 7 player bench.  Fulce should see more time, though because they don't really have anyone that can abuse him in the post.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »
I agree in theory that we need more production from the bench, but the reality is this just isn't a very deep team.  Maybe more of Fulce, but he often looks overmatched and struggles defensively.

I think Buzz has done a good job of managing the short bench and controlling tempo to give guys some in-game breathers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 11:20:22 AM »
They've played one game in the last 11 days.  Two games in four days shouldn't be a problem.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 11:21:28 AM »
It doesn't seem like it's any less downtime than what they got from Dec 29-Jan 9, and they ended up going 1-3 against three of the top ten teams in the country.  

Not to mention the team has, arguably, improved since then, is coming off of playing only two games in the last 14 days, and is playing against teams of a much lower caliber (compared to G-Town, Nova & WVU).

Florida State is not a fair comparison.  That was three games in four days.  Apples and oranges, my friend.

If Buzz thinks that 20 minutes from the bench will get the job done, so be it.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

LON

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 11:32:48 AM »
I want a W.  Any minutes from the bench is icing on the cake.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 11:37:09 AM »
They've played one game in the last 11 days.  Two games in four days shouldn't be a problem.

They also will not have a road game for two weeks.  Feb 6th to the 21st at home.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:39:18 AM by SaintPaulWarrior »

CDK

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 11:47:09 AM »
Judging from some of Buzz's interviews, the effort put out in practice each day is equal to or even greater than that expended in games.  Rather than play inferior bench players during important games I would rather see Buzz cut back some on practices and weight lifting.  I'm not advocating less practice time but perhaps fewer sprints or drills that require full out exertion.   Maybe less intense game day practices or more film watching the day after games would keep us fresh later into the season. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 11:51:15 AM »
Judging from some of Buzz's interviews, the effort put out in practice each day is equal to or even greater than that expended in games.  Rather than play inferior bench players during important games I would rather see Buzz cut back some on practices and weight lifting.  I'm not advocating less practice time but perhaps fewer sprints or drills that require full out exertion.   Maybe less intense game day practices or more film watching the day after games would keep us fresh later into the season. 

I'm sure Buzz knows what he is doing...at least more than we do.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 12:43:58 PM »
I did hear Buzz state in a recent interview that they've scaled back a lot in practice, as far as total time spent going all out in scrimmage.  Lots of drill work, situational work, etc.  Buzz also has an exact number of possessions he wants MU to have offensively - and you do see him running some isolation for DJO where they basically do nothing on offense until the 10 second mark of the shot clock - particularily when playing without Hayward or Jimmy, largely before media timeouts.  I don't think we'll see much more than a 7 man rotation the rest of the way - Buycks and Fulce the rest of the way - probably not much EWill or Junior.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 12:52:21 PM »
They also will not have a road game for two weeks.  Feb 6th to the 21st at home.

And no major holidays like over winter break where players may eat too much and sit around.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 03:59:21 PM »
I think at this point in the season the rotation is pretty well set.  I'd love to see us get up 10-12 points and give EWill, Fulce and Cadougan some minutes, but if we don't, we've got to go with the tighter 7-man roto we've been using and winning with.

CDK

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 04:04:41 PM »
It's going to take a lot more than 10-12 points for EWill and Junior to get any minutes, unless you're counting the last 15 seconds of the game. 

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 07:54:29 AM »
Well, I was hoping for 35 minutes from the bench.  We got 33.  The loss though...  :(

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 10:10:16 PM »
48 minutes from bench tonight vs. St. John's.  Yes it was an overtime game and there was foul trouble but what happened to everyone saying 35 minutes is too much?

48 pretty productive minutes too.  Cincy game we didn't have much minutes from bench but Buycks was injured.

With two overtimes in a row and quick turnarounds in game Buzz is being very smart using more bench.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:14:32 PM by MarquetteDano »

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 10:14:42 PM »
48 minutes from bench tonight vs. St. John's.  Yes it was an overtime game and there was foul trouble but what happened to everyone saying I was "way off" for saying we need 35 minutes from bench each night?

48 pretty productive minutes too.  Cincy game we didn't have much minutes from bench but Buycks was injured.

With two overtimes in a row and quick turnarounds in game Buzz is being very smart using more bench.

I think the bench played well tonight.

Buycks solid in first half.
JC looked under control and made a few plays.

I can't say enough about Fulce the past few games.  He did not take a step backward after his performance in Cincy.  I believe he will continue to turn in these types of performances if not better.
Marquette University, Spring '08

mviale

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »
I will probably be lambasted for this, but we need more bench time starting from the Pitt game.  After the Pitt game there are no major breaks.  Cincy is only two days off after and it doesn't get easier after that.

Yes, I know that after Buycks off the bench there is a bit of a dropoff.  And even though we could hope for a blowout a some point to give some bench time, it may not happen for the rest of the year.  However, I really fear what happened to us in the Florida State game late... we looked tired.

Our bench had the following min recently...

USF: 24 min
PC:  31 min
Dep: 40 min
UConn: 26 min

Would like to see at least 35 min for Pitt preferably more.  Even at 35 min that still leaves an avg of 33 min per starter.
In addition to more bench play, I think we should pay off the national debt. 
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259