[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What do you hope for as MU enters the BE tournament?

Win it all (Championship is great though 4 games in 4 nights might exhaust team ala Syracuse last year).
19 (27.9%)
Lose in semis (no shame in losing 3rd game in 3rd night and team might be better prepared for NCAAs).
32 (47.1%)
Beat SJU, lose to Pitt (no shame in losing to Pitt after beating Pitt twice already).
16 (23.5%)
Lose to SJU (if this is chosen, you clearly are not a fan).
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: BE Tournament  (Read 6735 times)

AlumKCof93

• All American
BE Tournament
« on: March 05, 2007, 09:20:12 AM »
The poor performance of Syracuse in the NCAAs after winning the BE tournament makes this a relevant question.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: BE Tournament
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 09:33:11 AM »
The poor performance of Syracuse in the NCAAs after winning the BE tournament makes this a relevant question.

Well, Cuse lost to Texas A&M (didnt spit the bit against a crummy team) --  largely because Gerry McNamara was injured and did not hit a shot from the field. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 09:40:48 AM by NYWarrior »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 09:41:32 AM »
Syracuse's performance in the NCAA is almost universally blamed on their playing 4 games in the BET. The simple fact of the matter is that they were not a very good team. They were in the wrong side of the bubble prior to the BET, got hot at the right time (particularly McNamara), and won those games. I have a hard time saying they lost that game because they played all those games, when a few days earlier they were headed for the NIT. Particularly seeing what Texas A&M  has done since then (lost to eventual FF participant LSU by 1 point, and we all know what they've done this season.). Syracuse was seeded too high and lost to a lost to a better team that was seeded too low. I have a difficult time concluding that the 4 BET games had much to do with the outcome of that game.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 11:36:38 AM »
I can't believe there were votes for anything but winning the BE tournament.  Are you saying that you'd actually be rooting against MU at some point in the tourney?  Really?  I don't believe you.  Winning the tournament would be a great accomplishment.  This is the Big East!!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 11:41:04 AM »
I can't believe there were votes for anything but winning the BE tournament.  Are you saying that you'd actually be rooting against MU at some point in the tourney?  Really?  I don't believe you.  Winning the tournament would be a great accomplishment.  This is the Big East!!

Good point, but I did vote to lose in Semi's.  Not that I *want* us to lose, but in my mind - we should beat SJU, and then of course I'd like to go for the 3fer against Pitt.  After that - it's all gravy.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 11:46:01 AM »
I will NEVER root against this team. I want to beat ND, I want to beat Louisville, I want to beat Syracuse and that punk Devendorf. (Can we make this 5 rounds?)

4 games in 4 days is rough, but we would then have 4 or 5 days off.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 11:51:47 AM »
Win it all.  Get a much higher seed.  Do some damage in the NCAAs.

That said, there's no way in hell DJ plays 4 games in 4 days without some serious crampage. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 11:53:01 AM »
I'm kind of hoping that we will bow out of the NCAA tournament in the round of 32 or maybe the sweet 16.  I want these guys to be hungry for next year.  If they win the National Championship, they'll get complacent.

Ummmm...are you kidding me?  I want Marquette to win every game.  I'll gladly take one additional game this weekend in exchange for the BET championship.  I think the momentum and confidence the team gains from winning the BET (or being the runner up) will more than compensate for the extra game.

Question for those who are voting for a loss in the semis:  is this assuming that they'll have a Friday game in the 1st round of the NCAAs?  Because if they have a Thursday game, you might want them to lose in the quarters just so that they can get their rest.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 11:57:11 AM »
Question for those who are voting for a loss in the semis

Like I said, I voted for that, but clearly I want Marquette to win every game they play.  Maybe I should retract my vote, it was really based more on how I thought it would shake out rather than a game-by-game analysis.

Anyhow...moving on - I don't think many here actually want Marquette to lose.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 12:07:24 PM »
I'm with whoever said they can't believe anyone would choose something other than win BET championship.  You take your championships where you can get them.  It's not like if we lose in the semifinals we aren't guaranteed a Sweet 16 or anything.  A Big East Tournament Championship would be huge.  You think if Syracuse lost in the BET semis last year and managed to win one NCAA tournament game as a result of the extra rest they would be happier than what they actually did?  I sure don't.  They'll remember the BET run for a long time.  Besides, from all I hear about TC's practices, I'm not sure games are any tougher on the kids than practices, anyway.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 12:07:54 PM »
Anyhow...moving on - I don't think many here actually want Marquette to lose.

I know, Rocky.  Ever since the thing counting the smileys, I've refused to use them.  This would have been a good time for one, though.

I can appreciate that no one hear really wants MU to lose a game.  I'm just responding because the poll asks, "What do you hope for as MU enters the BE tournament?"  I could never bring myself to respond with anything other than "Win it all."  This is largely because I don't think 4 games in 4 days (concluding with the championship) is that much more draining than 3 games in 3 days (concluding, by definition, with disappointment).

The option that we all really want is "Win the BE Tournament and then win the NCAA."  I recognize that, and was just giving you "semis" voters a hard time.  (Still no smiley as a matter of principle.)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 12:13:17 PM »
You guys are crazy. Winning the Big East tournament would be huge...an accomplishment that would take a backseat only to making the Final Four.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 01:03:59 PM »
I guess I read the question as "what do you expect" rather than "what do you hope for." Obviously we all want MU to win every game, but that's probably not a reasonable expectation.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 01:08:57 PM »
There are plenty of examples of teams going deep in their conference tournament and then losing in the first round of the NCAAs.  People say it was because they were burned out.  Maybe.

There are also penty of examples of teams going deep in their conference tournament and riding that momentum with deep runs into the NCAAs as well.

There is no universal answer.  Mostly has to do with the matchups you are given in the NCAA and how that dictates what you can do.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 01:27:34 PM »
I posted this question b/c I think the broadcasters will mention the 4 games in 4 days for MU throughout the tournament especially since Syracuse did look burned out in their loss in the NCAAslast year (we are much better than last years Syracuse, by the way).  Anyway, I figured some would vote for losing in the semis.  I'm surprised by the amount of votes for losing to Pitt - are those Pitt fans?

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 01:43:25 PM »
Maybe I'm reading this poll differently than others, but I'm taking it as what I want to have happen, which is why I picked that I want them to take the BE tourney championship.

If others are reading this as what's the minimum MU has to do for you to be satisfied, then I understand the responses .

WhereisGeraldPosey

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 01:47:34 PM »
Anyone remember 10 years ago?  MU won 4 games in 4 days to win the CUSA Tournament and get in the NCAA (probably would not have gotten in without that run)  MU looked flat and got "Croshered" in the 1st round by Providence 81-59.  Big East Tournament means nothing in the big picture, would be nice to win 2 games, but I am not overly concerenced about how MU foes in MSG.  Anything to avoid the dreaded 5 seed.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 01:52:44 PM »
The only thing from the BE tourney that will change our seed is winning it.   While I would, of course love a BE tourney title, I do not want it at the expense of having nothing left for the big dance.  Also, I doubt we can win it without Jerel and absolutely do want him brought back early if it means risking losing him for the dance.   No one would ever root against this bunch, but the question is, is it better to win the BE and get smoked, a la 'Cuse last year, or win 2, lose 1 and have an extra day of rest?  As thin as our team is....... Aw, heck, win it all and worry about next week next week.  Can I change my vote?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 02:26:51 PM »
Most of the examples I've seen about runs through the conference tournaments were regarding teams who otherwise wouldn't have made the NCAAs.  We are a good team, and I'd love a BE tournament win and I'll take my chances on the NCAAs.

I guess if Florida, Kansas, UW, Ohio State, UCLA, Texas A&M, or UNC win their conference tournaments, we should pencil them in as first round NCAA losses.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 03:01:34 PM »
I want MU to win the BET.  But here are the posibilities that could happen and the order i want them to happen
1) MU wins it all
2) MU loses to pitt
3) Mu Loses in the semi's
4) MU loses on wednesday.
4) MU loses in the finals.

So in a way I would go to bed content thursday night after a loss because it was the 2nd best way to go out of 5.  I don't think this makes me a bad fan.  Hope we win the next 10.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2007, 03:18:15 PM »
I would like to see them win every game they can the the BE tourney.  Any win is a good win, plus the seeding/location improvement would negate the "being drained" factor, which isn't exactly proven.  Among better teams, I don't think there is an inverse correlation between the number of conference games played and success in the NCAAs.  (sorry if I got a little to "engineering." :P)

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2007, 09:38:54 PM »
I wonder if the results of the poll would change if the option was losing to Louisville in the semis.

Virginia Warrior 77

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 12:21:09 PM »
Win it all.  Carry the momentum into the NCAA Tournament.  We tried the save-yourself-for-the-tournament approach last year - no momentum, one and done. Yuk.