[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BE vs. SEC Invitational  (Read 3253 times)

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
BE vs. SEC Invitational
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:53:23 AM »
Apparently, this is the last year of the event. Thank god. ACC vs. B10 is the best conference battle (only because the ACC and old BE stopped their showdown).

This year's riveting match-ups:

Arkansas vs. Seton Hall
Kentucky vs. Notre Dame
Auburn vs. Rutgers
Tennessee vs. Pittsburgh

bilsu

• All American
Re: BE vs. SEC Invitational
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:03:44 AM »
Why would you not want this to continue? My only complaint is that it included only 4 teams a year.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:32:44 AM »
Your forgetting the marquee matchup, Marquette vs. Vanderbilt

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
ACC vs. Big Ten is a battle?

More like a slaughter.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 11:49:22 AM »
Your forgetting the marquee matchup, Marquette vs. Vanderbilt

That's not part of the Invitational.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 11:53:11 AM »
Apparently, this is the last year of the event. Thank god. ACC vs. B10 is the best conference battle (only because the ACC and old BE stopped their showdown).
Arkansas vs. Seton Hall
Kentucky vs. Notre Dame
Auburn vs. Rutgers
Tennessee vs. Pittsburgh

I guess I don't understand this at all.  Tenn vs. Pitt is a pretty damn good game.  UK vs. ND is a nice match up also and has the added Indiana/Kentucky state border battle angle.  The other 2 are nothing special, but they're just as interesting to me as any of these riveting match-ups from the Big Tweleven/ACC (outside of UNC/Illinois and MSU/Duke):

Virginia @ Minnesota
Ohio State @ Florida State
Michigan @ Clemson
Georgia Tech @ Northwestern
Iowa @ Wake Forest
Purdue @ Virginia Tech
North Carolina State @ Wisconsin
Indiana @ Boston College
Maryland @ Penn State

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 12:12:32 PM »
Why would you not want this to continue? My only complaint is that it included only 4 teams a year.
Agreed.  Why not expand the "event"?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 08:10:25 PM »

Arkansas vs. Seton Hall
Kentucky vs. Notre Dame
Auburn vs. Rutgers
Tennessee vs. Pittsburgh

Where are they playing the games at?
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

TJ

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 10:31:16 PM »
Count me in as another that doesn't understand why we would want the event to end.  It was silly that they made it only 4 games a year, but expand it to 8 or 12 and it could have been a great thing.  You only think the ACC/Big 10/1/2 thing is good because it's got history behind it.  It's certainly not because of the "riveting" games it produces each year.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 12:02:39 PM »
I'm glad to see it end because the conferences don't matchup numbers wise.  What makes the ACC/Big 10 cool is that the conferences line up, and the best gets to play the best and on down the line.  The symmetry makes it easy and appropriate to keep score and determine a conference winner and makes for a unique little event.

The BE is just too big however, and if you matchup from the top, the depth of the conference could/would overwhelm the smaller conferences, so it doesn't mean much.  The four team idea is even worse.  It just doesn't have the same appeal for me.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 07:53:40 AM »
I'm glad to see it end because the conferences don't matchup numbers wise.  What makes the ACC/Big 10 cool is that the conferences line up, and the best gets to play the best and on down the line.  The symmetry makes it easy and appropriate to keep score and determine a conference winner and makes for a unique little event.

The BE is just too big however, and if you matchup from the top, the depth of the conference could/would overwhelm the smaller conferences, so it doesn't mean much.  The four team idea is even worse.  It just doesn't have the same appeal for me.

It doesn't work with the SEC not just because the numbers don't match up, but simply because they're not as good a basketball conference the past couple years. Three NCAA teams in 2009, four in 2010, whereas the Big East is consistently sending around eight teams. If they want a real challenge type atmosphere, line us up with the Big 12 (or whatever they're calling it now) because they seem to be able to consistently send close to as many teams to the Big Dance as we do.

Of course, if the SEC can return to their old standards of sending 5-6 teams a year, it really wouldn't be that unbalanced even if you did an 8 team challenge.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 08:29:12 AM »
Marquette vs. Vanderbilt is a home and home with this year's game at Memorial Gym in Nashville (a tough place to win).

I don't think that's part of the invitational. Marquette played Tennessee in Nashville as part of it two years ago.