[Today at 04:43:45 PM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by tower912
[Today at 01:46:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1112161 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #2700 on: March 29, 2020, 06:01:40 PM »
Honesty, sincerity, and empathy.

You, Galway, forgetful and I have essentially said the same thing in different ways.

Regrettably, things like honesty, sincerity, empathy, humility and nonpartisanship are likely too much to ask for these days.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2701 on: March 29, 2020, 06:03:18 PM »

Death on call

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2702 on: March 29, 2020, 06:07:51 PM »
Legit question to liberal, democratic Scoopers:

What exactly would you want our President to do right now, that you believe is not being done to help all Americans get through the pandemic and its economic fallout?

1. Stop bragging about the ratings of his news conferences.
2. Stop attacking governors who aren't "nice enough" to him.
3. Stop lying. We are NOT opening things up by Easter.
4. Shut up and get out of the way. Let governors make the decisions.
5. Let the Federal Gov't coordinate the buying and shipping of medical equipment. They SHOULD BE our shipping clerks. Right now we have governors ordering supplies and the feds are outbidding them.
6. Stop lying.
7. Stop the name calling. You're 73 years old - not 12.
8. Stop destroying the bureaucracy. It would have been great to have the early warnings that many of his fired people could have given us.
9. Stop bragging about yourself. You're 73 years old - not 12. You are not the smartest person alive. You don't have the biggest brain.
10. Stop lying.
11. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. It is what real leaders do.
12. Rebuild the public-health cooperation with China that Bush and Obama built and the Trump administration destroyed. When SARS occurred, Bush had the CDC send 40 experts to China. SARS was contained and 0 Americans died. Obama increased the cooperation with H1N1 and Ebola. Trump destroyed the cooperation so we were caught flat-footed with COVID.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #2703 on: March 29, 2020, 06:23:04 PM »
Goose, Keefe and 4ever:

What do you think he has done well, and not so well?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2704 on: March 29, 2020, 06:34:34 PM »
Legit question to liberal, democratic Scoopers:

What exactly would you want our President to do right now, that you believe is not being done to help all Americans get through the pandemic and its economic fallout?

I'm not as liberal as some on here seem to believe, but here's my thoughts (apart from "stop being an pretty boy" - which he appears to have made progress on this weekend).

- Work with states to make sure healthcare workers can cross state lines to help out as needed - immediately
- Expand the national guard and corps of engineers support immediately.  I see only 15k of the 450k are moving.  Bring in more military if needed.  There need to be rapid repose centers setup near every metro area next week.
- Work with private enterprise (Amazon/WalMart/Grocery Chains) to staff up to get essential deliveries scaled up.  Nearly impossible to schedule those - all slots full - forcing people to go out.
- Ramp up social productivity programs(think, modern day CCC).  If we're going to be handing out trillions, lets get some public good out of those people - not just pay unemployment / send checks.
- In conjunction with that - every household needs access to high speed internet.  It's an online world, lets monetize it for everyone - not leave folks out.

I'm sure there's lots more.  But hey, I'm not in office, I just delete posts whenever I goddamn feel like it.

edit: for those kiddos unfamiliar with the CCC - here you go
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:54:01 PM by rocky_warrior »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2705 on: March 29, 2020, 06:34:58 PM »

This.

I don't hung up on the press conference ratings tweets.  That's is who he is and irrelevent to the issue at hand. 

But telling people we are in a war at one point, then saying a couple days later that he wants everything back open by Easter is at best sending mixed signals.  At worst it validates what his harshest critics say about his attention span and his attention to detail.

His administration took awhile to get going, but it is doing a number of very good things now.  But here is what he should do.  Tell the governors to shut stuff down.  Tell Americans to help one another, that the government will help in the short run and show that we can be the City on the Hill.

IMO, if he would lead in his way, he would be a shoo-in in November.  I have no doubt about that. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2706 on: March 29, 2020, 07:07:52 PM »
Long ass wait, Mother Goose

Well, that aged well especially since someone answered immediately before you posted this.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2707 on: March 29, 2020, 07:11:44 PM »
John Prine critical. On ventilator.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2708 on: March 29, 2020, 07:13:45 PM »
Myself and many friends caught it. It's like a very mild flu - headache, body ache, low grade fever, dry cough, and lethargy.

We were all told that if there was a temperature spike or shortness of breath then get to a hospital. But otherwise, self quarantine while taking fluids and resting.

We all stayed home while continuing our work productivity. If you are fit, healthy, and maintain situational awareness it is the same as managing a cold. The elderly and those with immunity issues are the ones at risk.

The degree of hysteria around this is decidedly over the top.

Yeah, not so simple
https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/fit-healthy-33-year-old-recounts-falling-ill-to-coronavirus

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2709 on: March 29, 2020, 07:22:25 PM »
Trump would need to do what is impossible for him. He would have to say he was wrong.
He needs to correct some of the crap he’s said in his daily rallies. I still see people spouting the things he’s even walked back. It is leading to deaths.
But he is incapable of saying he was wrong.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2710 on: March 29, 2020, 07:22:49 PM »

So, the impossible.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2711 on: March 29, 2020, 07:25:48 PM »
John Prine critical. On ventilator.

If he goes the same day as Joe Diffie, my FIL might have an emotional meltdown.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2712 on: March 29, 2020, 07:30:47 PM »
I would like to see trump become the face of the response.  Proactive - get ahead - get accused of doing too much on the health response side.

BTW - this is happening on the economic side.  So don’t fault the admin one bit for the first waves. 

PS the thing he plays up as being proactive (China travel) was done by my company well prior.  In fact we shut off global and domestic travel way before.  It’s these things that seemed drastic at the time but now seem appropriate on the health side that I would like more examples of. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:34:42 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2713 on: March 29, 2020, 07:53:11 PM »
I would like to see trump become the face of the response.  Proactive - get ahead - get accused of doing too much on the health response side.

BTW - this is happening on the economic side.  So don’t fault the admin one bit for the first waves. 

PS the thing he plays up as being proactive (China travel) was done by my company well prior.  In fact we shut off global and domestic travel way before.  It’s these things that seemed drastic at the time but now seem appropriate on the health side that I would like more examples of.

?

What Trump needs to do is step aside and let the people that know what they are doing and saying do their job and handle the briefings and interviews. We all know that isn't going to happen. So it is very simple, don't televise the daily briefings. Only later show on television and online the honest, helpful, and accurate information.

Today for example, he denied saying NYC didn't need the quantity of ventilators they asked for. Fauci said they do need them. So tonight Trump says he never said that. It's on video for the world to see. This happens daily. It doesn't help anyone and often times makes the situation much worse and more dangerous unnecessarily.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2714 on: March 29, 2020, 07:55:23 PM »
?

What Trump needs to do is step aside and let the people that know what they are doing and saying do their job and handle the briefings and interviews. We all know that isn't going to happen. So it is very simple, don't televise the daily briefings. Only later show on television and online the honest, helpful, and accurate information.

Today for example, he denied saying NYC didn't need the quantity of ventilators they asked for. Fauci said they do need them. So tonight Trump says he never said that. It's on video for the world to see. This happens daily. It doesn't help anyone and often times makes the situation much worse and more dangerous unnecessarily.

That’s my point.  He is making it seem confusing, haphazard and uncoordinated.  I did not make a comment on whether I believe he is capable of this as I was answering 4evers question.

• All American
« Reply #2715 on: March 29, 2020, 08:12:34 PM »
Goose, Keefe and 4ever:

What do you think he has done well, and not so well?

Long ass wait, Mother Goose

Irony
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2716 on: March 29, 2020, 08:34:59 PM »
This.

I don't hung up on the press conference ratings tweets.  That's is who he is and irrelevent to the issue at hand. 

But telling people we are in a war at one point, then saying a couple days later that he wants everything back open by Easter is at best sending mixed signals.  At worst it validates what his harshest critics say about his attention span and his attention to detail.

His administration took awhile to get going, but it is doing a number of very good things now.  But here is what he should do.  Tell the governors to shut stuff down.  Tell Americans to help one another, that the government will help in the short run and show that we can be the City on the Hill.

IMO, if he would lead in his way, he would be a shoo-in in November.  I have no doubt about that.

Pretty much agree with everything here.

He literally can do nothing to change the minds of those who so self righteously love him or hate him but there are people capable of giving him honest blame or credit for how this unfolds.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2717 on: March 29, 2020, 08:36:28 PM »

Irony

They were overwhelmed with too many completely reasonable answers...things that should be easy, but which they know are impossible for POTUS.

Honesty, sincerity, empathy, nonpartisanship, humility, consistency.

A bridge too far....

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2718 on: March 29, 2020, 08:44:49 PM »
I've heard two stories this week of Trump slurpers who said they are completely done with him after this.  One is a medical worker reusing masks and the other has a Trump flag in his office and ripped down stating he's killing people.
Both indicated they are either voting Biden or not at all.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2719 on: March 29, 2020, 08:49:30 PM »
?

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. Where is our president?  Oh, he needs to get out of the way...he needs to listen to the “experts”, blah blah

There are many things he didn’t say that they say he did say.  He’s trying to be upbeat. Everyone needs to use a little critical thinking instead of laying on his every word. How many times do we need to hear, wash your hands, keep safe distances, stay at home if you can...?? 

The people here who do not like this admin, there is nothing, let me repeat, NOTHING he can say or do to change their minds about him.  So if you are in this category, get a squeeze ball, try yoga, meditate, and take care of yourselves cuz the president obviously is doing nothing more for you than p!ssing ya off anyway.

Don’t watch anymore news, ya know what to do-wash your hands, practice....when this all starts subsiding(hopefully soon) ya’ll will know.
don't...don't don't don't don't

• All American
« Reply #2720 on: March 29, 2020, 08:55:47 PM »
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. Where is our president?  Oh, he needs to get out of the way...he needs to listen to the “experts”, blah blah

There are many things he didn’t say that they say he did say.  He’s trying to be upbeat. Everyone needs to use a little critical thinking instead of laying on his every word. How many times do we need to hear, wash your hands, keep safe distances, stay at home if you can...?? 

The people here who do not like this admin, there is nothing, let me repeat, NOTHING he can say or do to change their minds about him.  So if you are in this category, get a squeeze ball, try yoga, meditate, and take care of yourselves cuz the president obviously is doing nothing more for you than p!ssing ya off anyway.

Don’t watch anymore news, ya know what to do-wash your hands, practice....when this all starts subsiding(hopefully soon) ya’ll will know.

In the span of a week, he’s said we are “at war,” open everything up by Easter because the cure can’t be worse than the disease, and today he suggests social distancing last until April 30.

I mean, don’t you see a problem here?

Yes. He should listen to experts. (No idea why you put that in quotes. Apparently you’re a medical professional who doesn’t believe in medical science. Which is weird.) And he should be a leader who puts aside the pettiness and leads.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2721 on: March 29, 2020, 09:01:23 PM »
I've heard two stories this week of Trump slurpers who said they are completely done with him after this.  One is a medical worker reusing masks and the other has a Trump flag in his office and ripped down stating he's killing people.
Both indicated they are either voting Biden or not at all.

That settles it, I guess. Biden in a landslide!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2722 on: March 29, 2020, 09:11:25 PM »
I truthfully am too busy to spend time on here tonight, but sounds like everyone wishes he had a different style. Almost every criticism stems from his style, not the work being done. I will try and respond to the request of what I like about the job he is doing, but no time at the moment.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2723 on: March 29, 2020, 09:17:49 PM »

Hmm nowhere in here does it mention the specifics of Cuomo asking for 30k ventilators and Trump saying he doesn't believe they are needed. Fauci then says they are needed. Trump gets asked a legit question about it and he denies he said it and then attacks black female journos, one of his frequent target groups. Rinse repeat. 1,2,3,4 enjoy the four links in order. Gee I don't know, my expectations are significantly  higher than the below example (pick your poison daily) of make outlandish statement without facts, get corrected by a more informed expert, blame the black lady for it, and celebrate your expert's dire death prediction as a success.

(My favorite today may be Trump trying to sell that 100k plus deaths would be a good thing instead of a few million.  ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND. The U.S. admin response has been a daily colossal disaster of the highest levels.)

https://twitter.com/morethanmySLE/status/1243573770436128769?s=19

https://twitter.com/DenbrotS/status/1244424991095042048?s=19

https://twitter.com/girlsreallyrule/status/1244400596649742337?s=19

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1244436463644823552?s=19

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2724 on: March 29, 2020, 09:19:36 PM »
The time in which he could have made a real difference is long past. It was frittered away through a concerted effort to minimize the seriousness of the situation. .

It's glaringly obvious he is incapable of leading the country through this. But he can still do something useful - get out of the way. Go play golf, tune into Fox & Friends and let the people who know what they're doing run the show.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:09:43 PM by Pakuni »