[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander disses Derrick Wilson for a slap of 5 on bench...  (Read 55464 times)

avid1010

• All American
Re: Vander disses Derrick Wilson for a slap of 5 on bench...
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2012, 06:08:04 PM »
With the ball in his hands, we see TOs, blown lay ups, blocked shots, and kick outs that force the offense to reset.

We also saw him create and put pressure on the defense.  He and Junior are asked to do very different things on offense, and the offense ran very well when Vander, Mayo, and DJO were the three guards in the game.  My guess is Buzz hates to move Vander to the point because his rebounding ability is so valuable (especially with CO out) that Buzz doesn't want him to have to be back on defense or on the perimeter, but coming from someone who thought Junior would have a breakout year, he's not doing much to help this team.  His defense is average at best, and I don't see him creating for others in the half-court. 

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2012, 06:08:56 PM »
This thread is ridiculous and completely unnecessary. Its not a great showing by Wander and an even worse showing by whoever started the thread.

Sometimes the word "stupid" just fits.

EDIT: "Wander" Blue. Ha. Love auto-correct.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:34:19 PM by MUCam »

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2012, 07:12:44 PM »
GROW UP, TROLLS. THIS THREAD DEMEANS US ALL.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 07:16:05 PM by lab_warrior »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2012, 08:27:48 PM »
I thought Vander played a pretty solid game today

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2012, 08:58:28 PM »
I'm convinced under Tom Crean's tutelage that Vander would be averaging 20 ppg and a lottery pick in this year's NBA draft. Tom Crean is a master in player development and sports psychology.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »
Jamail Jones high fives everybody.

Too bad he's not good at basketball.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2012, 12:43:32 AM »
I think Mike Kelley brought it up because he's still ticked VB ended up at MU!  If you'll notice Wilson tapped VB on the shoulder at the end of the clip.  I don't really think it's a big deal.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2012, 12:51:20 AM »
Jamail Jones high fives everybody.

Too bad he's not good at basketball.

I wish I was not good enough at basketball to be playing in the Big East on scholarship.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2012, 12:55:16 AM »
I wish I was not good enough at basketball to be playing in the Big East on scholarship.

You're right.

My intent was to illustrate Vander seems to be a whipping boy for some, while Jamail seems to get a free pass.

Jamail didn't even play a minute, and Vander is the one who is getting ripped on for failing to high five.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2012, 01:47:28 AM »
You're right.

My intent was to illustrate Vander seems to be a whipping boy for some, while Jamail seems to get a free pass.

Jamail didn't even play a minute, and Vander is the one who is getting ripped on for failing to high five.

I do agree with this.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2012, 09:36:15 AM »
When did the the hi-five incident happen? I want to go back and see it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »
Late second half....after he missed two FTs.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2012, 09:57:33 AM »
Late second half....after he missed two FTs.
He was taken out on Crowder's 4th foul at the 2:15 mark.  They showed it at the 1:37 mark.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2012, 11:39:38 AM »
You're right.

You get a free pass when you get very little PT. if you get the PT and show no progress, then we can say he is not progressing. There is nothing wrong with that.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2012, 12:07:20 PM »
You get a free pass when you get very little PT. if you get the PT and show no progress, then we can say he is not progressing. There is nothing wrong with that.

In some cases, I would agree. I still like Jamail's potential.

However, when you consistently complain/rip a single soph., yet have no commentary on guys who are the same age and can't even find the court, it appears like a witch hunt.

Put it another way: Jamil Wilson has not met expectations, but you don't have 25 posts about him air-balling 3's. He's a year older than Vander and has spent the same amount of time in the MU program.

YET... people say nothing.

For whatever reason, Vander has become the whipping boy for some people, and I just don't get it.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2012, 12:17:41 PM »
For whatever reason, Vander has become the whipping boy for some people, and I just don't get it.

First, I am not saying it is right.  However, Vander is the whipping boy because he is perceived to have a bad attitude.  I am not saying he does.  But he does tend to have a mopey look on his face at times.

You add that in with the announcers concentrating on his ignoring a high five, some off the court incidents last year, and the high expectations coming out of high school...

And Voila! You have your team whipping boy.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:19:12 PM by MarquetteDano »

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »
First, I am not saying it is right.  However, Vander is the whipping boy because he is perceived to have a bad attitude.  I am not saying he does.  But he does tend to have a mopey look on his face at times.

You add that in with the announcers concentrating on his ignoring a high five, some off the court incidents last year, and the high expectations coming out of high school...

Vander reminds me a lot of Dom James. A great talent with A lot of detractors for some on and off the court reasons

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2012, 12:52:11 PM »

You are probably right, and that just proves to me that the average fan is an idiot.

The players spend a TON of time together. To pretend like we can see/know if a guy is a good teammate or has a good attitude from the 3-4 hours per week that we watch him on the court is insane.

For whatever reason, some people just don't like Vander, and they are going to find things every week that they don't like about him.

Has anybody even mentioned the 1 handed defensive rebound Vander had in the second half when the game was getting tight? Nope. How about the block?

High fives? Oh yea, we got that covered.

unnatural carnal knowledgeing insane.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2012, 01:40:04 PM »
In some cases, I would agree. I still like Jamail's potential.

However, when you consistently complain/rip a single soph., yet have no commentary on guys who are the same age and can't even find the court, it appears like a witch hunt.

Put it another way: Jamil Wilson has not met expectations, but you don't have 25 posts about him air-balling 3's. He's a year older than Vander and has spent the same amount of time in the MU program.

YET... people say nothing.

It really isn't all that complicated. I don't care about the high five thing as much. My problem is Blue continues to make the same mistakes. If Jones was on the floor and he continually made terrible decisions with the ball, people would be jumping on him too. As for Wilson, I am a little disappointed simply from the preseason reports and reports from last season. But when you think about it, he really hasnt had a ton of live action. And from his limited time on the floor, I see him making improvements.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2012, 01:51:21 PM »
Vander reminds me a lot of Dom James. A great talent with A lot of detractors for some on and off the court reasons

it's the mustache.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2012, 01:53:37 PM »
Yall need to go back to work
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2012, 01:56:41 PM »
It really isn't all that complicated. I don't care about the high five thing as much. My problem is Blue continues to make the same mistakes. If Jones was on the floor and he continually made terrible decisions with the ball, people would be jumping on him too. As for Wilson, I am a little disappointed simply from the preseason reports and reports from last season. But when you think about it, he really hasnt had a ton of live action. And from his limited time on the floor, I see him making improvements.

I'm sorry, but this just reads to me like:

"I like Jamil. I don't like Vander."

I guess at this point we will just have to agree to disagree.

I think there are some people that already have their mind made up that they don't like him, so they find faults in his game to support that point of view.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2012, 09:56:09 PM »
Simply put, many fans don't like Vander because he's making them look bad.

When Vander dissed Wisco and came to Marquette, many fans touted him as Wade 2.0 (or should I say Wade 3.0 since Dameon Mason was annointed Wade 2.0?). He's a 6'4", athletic, all-around stud and he was coming to our school to follow in Wade's footsteps. MU fans mocked Badger fans because one of the most highly ranked in-state recruits in recent memory didn't want to stay in Madison. He wanted to be a Warrior. Currently, Blue is a valuable role player at Marquette and many MU fans are ready to label him a complete bust because, 1.5 seasons into his career, he hasn't been the All-American they were unfairly expecting him to be. In other words, Blue is making them look bad because they had talked him up and had built him up to an impossible-to-attain level and he's not even close to reaching that level so they're taking it out on him. If Vander was a 4-star recruit from Texas, you'd barely hear a whisper about his offensive struggles. Jamail Jones, for example, was ranked just outside the top 50 as a recruit and he can't even get on the floor consistently yet you don't constantly see threads popping up ripping his game or his high-fiving prowess.

Dominic James was a similar situation to Blue. He was a freshman stud and appeared to be on his way to the NBA Lottery. Unfortunately, he peaked as a freshman and many fans never "forgave" him for that. He was going to be the next big thing at MU and instead ended up with a disappointing career, finishing 2nd in school history in assists and 3rd in scoring.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:59:20 PM by MerrittsMustache »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2012, 07:39:41 AM »
Simply put, many fans don't like Vander because he's making them look bad.

When Vander dissed Wisco and came to Marquette, many fans touted him as Wade 2.0 (or should I say Wade 3.0 since Dameon Mason was annointed Wade 2.0?). He's a 6'4", athletic, all-around stud and he was coming to our school to follow in Wade's footsteps. MU fans mocked Badger fans because one of the most highly ranked in-state recruits in recent memory didn't want to stay in Madison. He wanted to be a Warrior. Currently, Blue is a valuable role player at Marquette and many MU fans are ready to label him a complete bust because, 1.5 seasons into his career, he hasn't been the All-American they were unfairly expecting him to be. In other words, Blue is making them look bad because they had talked him up and had built him up to an impossible-to-attain level and he's not even close to reaching that level so they're taking it out on him. If Vander was a 4-star recruit from Texas, you'd barely hear a whisper about his offensive struggles. Jamail Jones, for example, was ranked just outside the top 50 as a recruit and he can't even get on the floor consistently yet you don't constantly see threads popping up ripping his game or his high-fiving prowess.

Dominic James was a similar situation to Blue. He was a freshman stud and appeared to be on his way to the NBA Lottery. Unfortunately, he peaked as a freshman and many fans never "forgave" him for that. He was going to be the next big thing at MU and instead ended up with a disappointing career, finishing 2nd in school history in assists and 3rd in scoring.

Well stated.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2012, 09:18:09 AM »
You are dead on, Stache. Some of us tried to temper expectations after Vander's lackluster senior year at Memorial, but the idea of the next DWade, especially one from Madison who decommitted from UW, was too irresistable for many. He's a very young sophmore who's starting and contributing on a top 20 team, but that's not nearly enough for those who expected a Messiah.

feedback