'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rebuild Assumptions  (Read 27913 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Rebuild Assumptions
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2020, 09:31:12 PM »
I would say the Wojo dumpster fire was started by him when he ignored the Hausers valid complaint. No team wins with a one man offense.

Agreed.

Options two, three, and four have been terrible the last three weeks. Onus is on them to turn it around.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2020, 09:38:19 PM »
Agreed.

Options two, three, and four have been terrible the last three weeks. Onus is on them to turn it around.

This roster is composed of the Big East POY and a bunch of guys who shouldn’t be more than 10-15 mpg players in the Big East. The onus was on the head guy to do better than that. He failed.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2020, 09:44:01 PM »
This roster is composed of the Big East POY and a bunch of guys who shouldn’t be more than 10-15 mpg players in the Big East. The onus was on the head guy to do better than that. He failed.
Damn Buzz!!! I can't wait until 2025 when all of Buzz's players are gone. We can start to get a slight feel for how Wojo can coach then.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2020, 09:58:44 PM »
Gameplan to beat Marquette

Defense:
Trap or double team Markus Howard on every possession. Triple team if required. Force other guys on the floor to make open shots.

Offense:
Run high ball screens and dribble penetration for your best scorer, mixed with Pick and roll.

The things the team does not do well are not secrets at this point.

I didn’t mean the way to beat MU wasn’t evident to non-BigEast teams. I meant that, until you actually face Markus on the floor, he’s hard to simulate, because of the way he attacks. Very few guards have mastered the hesitation dribble to the extent he has. How he creates separation both downhill and in reverse (I know the step back is common today, but not how quickly he executes it). You can say he’s easy to plan for all you want. Other than Ners, the best athlete on this board in his prime would be hopelessly confused AF trying to guard him. Now put him against a D1backcourt/wings that can guard but doesn’t face his style often, and I like our chances in an NCAA matchup.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2020, 10:00:12 PM »

That's a different discussion irrelevant to my post.

Anim, McEwen, and Bailey have produced worthy supporting performances at different points this season. All three have been bad the last three weeks. They're leaving Markus on an island. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2020, 10:04:17 PM »
I didn’t mean the way to beat MU wasn’t evident to non-BigEast teams. I meant that, until you actually face Markus on the floor, he’s hard to simulate, because of the way he attacks. Very few guards have mastered the hesitation dribble to the extent he has. How he creates separation both downhill and in reverse (I know the step back is common today, but not how quickly he executes it). You can say he’s easy to plan for all you want. Other than Ners, the best athlete on this board in his prime would be hopelessly confused AF trying to guard him. Now put him against a D1backcourt/wings that can guard but doesn’t face his style often, and I like our chances in an NCAA matchup.

We’re 0-2 in NCAA games using your theory, but you like our chances this year?!? Ok then.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2020, 10:05:25 PM »

Anim, McEwen, and Bailey have produced worthy supporting performances at different points this season. All three have been bad the last three weeks. They're leaving Markus on an island.
Player talent or player development, both point to the head coach. (unless you think the game plans have been bad, then it's Wojo's fault)

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2020, 10:07:49 PM »
Now put him against a D1backcourt/wings that can guard but doesn’t face his style often, and I like our chances in an NCAA matchup.
I like my chances in the PowerBall.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 10:19:11 PM by WhiteTrash »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2020, 10:18:05 PM »

Mediocre players are capable of producing worthy supporting performances from time to time. They can even be really good in short spurts. But at the end of the day when you add up the really good, really bad, the worthy and the unworthy you get who they are. And that’s mediocre, back up quality. You (and Wojo evidently) think the “answer” is hoping guys who should be back ups go through a good stretch and “step up”. I think the answer is recruiting legitimate starters to help carry the load.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2020, 10:21:40 PM »

I know right? alone on that island to be hog tied on D by WhiteTrash and Hutch. Yep. Let’s get this triumvirate going! The timing is right for some good basketball. We know what we’re gonna get with Markus. The minnow is lost with the others right now.

Also, take Ben Hogan’s word for it: the harder you work, the luckier you get. The secret and the answers are in the dirt. Trust what you’ve trained. Have a source who said they’re working like it’s indeed condition critical.

I was absolutely shocked at how we didn’t show up pissed at the NCAAs after the Seton Hall BET referee debacle. It’s because of what we didn’t know was brewing or reaching a nadir with team chemistry. Well, guys, cue up 2020 and just about everyone including me (for the first time) is close to giving up on you. Time to prove us keyboard warriors wrong. Remember that great chemistry we had just a few weeks ago? Find it. This team should have a huge chip on its shoulder. Play loose and who gives a chit, as the meaties like to say. I hope in a few weeks Wojo and boys can say F all y’all. How you like me now?!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2020, 10:39:13 PM »
Time to prove us keyboard warriors wrong. Remember that great chemistry we had just a few weeks ago? Find it. This team should have a huge chip on its shoulder. Play loose and who gives a chit, as the meaties like to say. I hope in a few weeks Wojo and boys can say F all y’all. How you like me now?!
From your lips to God's ears. Yes, please. Wojo, please prove us wrong and shut us MU fans up. I supported his extension last summer and now I feel like a fool. Please Wojo, make me look smart.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2020, 10:49:09 PM »
From your lips to God's ears. Yes, please. Wojo, please prove us wrong and shut us MU fans up. I supported his extension last summer and now I feel like a fool. Please Wojo, make me look smart.

Wrong. I can admit when I’m wrong. I was wrong. We took a good stretch of basketball and stagnated off it.  Listen, I know we don’t have any influence on how this team is gonna prep or play. Why not reserve judgment until the end of the season? I just don’t understand all the dick swinging on this board combined with negativity. I truly thought our fan base was better than this. If any of you are rooting for an MU loss at St. John’s, F#&K You and the lame horses you rode in on.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2020, 10:58:51 PM »
Wrong. I can admit when I’m wrong. I was wrong. We took a good stretch of basketball and stagnated off it.  Listen, I know we don’t have any influence on how this team is gonna prep or play. Why not reserve judgment until the end of the season? I just don’t understand all the dick swinging on this board combined with negativity. I truly thought our fan base was better than this. If any of you are rooting for an MU loss at St. John’s, F#&K You and the lame horses you rode in on.
I agree about anyone rooting against MU. Not my kind of fan. Look I love MU, flew halfway across the country with my family and spent $800 on 4 tickets to the Depaul game this year. If I was incharge of Wojo's future I would wait for the season to end before making any decisions.

BUT, this is fan board and shouldn't fairness allow fans to post supportive and crazy predictions of success while winning and be allowed to vent and point to Wojo's faults when we are having our second straight year-end melt-down?

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2020, 11:20:07 PM »
I agree about anyone rooting against MU. Not my kind of fan. Look I love MU, flew halfway across the country with my family and spent $800 on 4 tickets to the Depaul game this year. If I was incharge of Wojo's future I would wait for the season to end before making any decisions.

BUT, this is fan board and shouldn't fairness allow fans to post supportive and crazy predictions of success while winning and be allowed to vent and point to Wojo's faults when we are having our second straight year-end melt-down?

No worries. Wish all alums showed that kind of support. Yes. And Yes. It IS frustrating.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2020, 04:59:25 AM »
Lenny is spot on. Outside of Howard, this team is made up of role players for any upper level team. These role players are capable of having big nights and they have done it, but that does not make impact players over the long haul. The level of talent on this team, and all of Wojo’s teams, is not where it needs to be for the program to have real success.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2020, 10:11:11 AM »
Lenny is spot on. Outside of Howard, this team is made up of role players for any upper level team. These role players are capable of having big nights and they have done it, but that does not make impact players over the long haul. The level of talent on this team, and all of Wojo’s teams, is not where it needs to be for the program to have real success.

Correct. We have a nice roster of role players who occasionally deliver a great performance. There is no consistency. Hoping we can win Saturday and finish 9-9 in BE.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2020, 10:14:24 AM »
Mediocre players are capable of producing worthy supporting performances from time to time. They can even be really good in short spurts. But at the end of the day when you add up the really good, really bad, the worthy and the unworthy you get who they are. And that’s mediocre, back up quality. You (and Wojo evidently) think the “answer” is hoping guys who should be back ups go through a good stretch and “step up”. I think the answer is recruiting legitimate starters to help carry the load.

My post is specific to this iteration of Marquette basketball. In these 30 games, we have a guy getting 13 and 4 at a 42% clip who has virtually disappeared the last three weeks. We have a Sophomore starter getting 7.5 and 4.5 playing off an All-American who has virtually disappeared the last three weeks. We have a starting guard who's in such a slump as to be benched nearly the entire second half of the Hall game.

Your reaction is the extreme. You take their poorest form and call their overall purpose "mediocre". I'm not asking for the opposite to your extreme. I'm not asking for all-conference performances from all three. I'm simply stating that those three players have been fine as supporting characters excepting these last three weeks. Pointing out they need to step up from terrible to adequate is not an earth shattering set of words.

A discussion we can have May through September is on Wojo's (in)ability to flesh out a program. Even if that shares the overall connection of Wojo, that's a different topic from my point here in this thread.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2020, 06:42:35 PM »

I agree with you on talent.

If this team is made up of role players and is picked to make the NCAA tournament does that not mean the coaches are pulling everything they can out of average role player talent?

Is not the level of talent from a recruiting rating increasing exponentially next year?   If he is making average role players into NCAA tournament participants, what will the staff do with 4 and 5 star players?   
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2020, 08:56:13 PM »

If this team is made up of role players and is picked to make the NCAA tournament does that not mean the coaches are pulling everything they can out of average role player talent?

Is not the level of talent from a recruiting rating increasing exponentially next year?   If he is making average role players into NCAA tournament participants, what will the staff do with 4 and 5 star players?
Well this is the first time I've ever heard a claim that Wojo and his staff are great coaches that are superior at player development. Never from ProJo's or any independent press articles of MU or Wojo.

I guess if enough posts are written on MUScoop, we will hear everything.

Can you also enlighten us on Deane's superior recruiting?

panda

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2020, 09:01:08 PM »
Is there any credence to this McEwen thumb injury that’s been discussed elsewhere?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2020, 10:02:54 PM »
Is there any credence to this McEwen thumb injury that’s been discussed elsewhere?

Yes. He sat out the first game of Big East play because of it. Was wearing a brace and playing for awhile. Haven't been paying attention to see if he's still playing with the brace. No idea how much if at all it is impacting him now. I still think the bigger issue is mental.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2020, 10:06:12 PM »
I have long felt that Wojo was underrated as a game coach and overrated as a recruiter. Not saying he's an elite game coach or a crappy recruiter....just that he's average in both. On paper it looks like the recruiting is improving going forward.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2020, 10:08:11 PM »
I have long felt that Wojo was underrated as a game coach and overrated as a recruiter. Not saying he's an elite game coach or a crappy recruiter....just that he's average in both. On paper it looks like the recruiting is improving going forward.
On paper the recruiting has been good. Just a lot of guys not lviing up to the hype

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2020, 10:08:24 PM »

I cannot find fault with any of this.  Marquette simply does not have a good roster.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2020, 10:08:58 PM »

Recurring rankings don’t matter. Top 100 recruits don’t matter. At least they didn’t matter when Wojo took over the program from Buzz. Wojo’s also had a fair amount of Top 100 recruits here. Unfortunately most transferred out..other than Markus and Bailey.

feedback