collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Brady Suspended 4 Games, Serious Question ... When Does Rodgers Get Suspended?  (Read 12496 times)

Warriors10

• All American
Yes!!!

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2015/the-new-england-patriots-prevention-of-fumbles-is-nearly-impossible

The New England Patriots Prevention of Fumbles is Nearly Impossible

The 2014 Patriots were just the 3rd team in the last 25 years to never have lost a fumble at home!  The biggest difference between the Patriots and the other 2 teams who did it was that New England ran between 150 and 200 MORE plays this year than those teams did in the years they had zero home fumbles, making the Patriots stand alone in this unique statistic.

Based on the desire to incorporate full season data (not just home games, as a team theoretically bring “doctored footballs” with them on the road) I performed the following analysis:

I looked at the last 5 years of data (since 2010) and examined TOTAL FUMBLES in all games (as well as fumbles/game) but more importantly, TOTAL OFFENSIVE PLAYS RUN.  Thus, we can to determine average PLAYS per FUMBLE, a much more valuable statistic.  The results are displayed in the chart below.  Keep in mind, this is for all games since 2010, regardless of indoors, outdoors, weather, site, etc.  EVERYTHING.

Always gotta dig deeper...

http://regressing.deadspin.com/why-those-statistics-about-the-patriots-fumbles-are-mos-1681805710/1702950988/+kylenw

🏀

• All American
In all actuality, no one knows if Rodgers cheats the inflation higher or if it's within the 13.5 psi limit

However, I do not think he would incriminate himself in an interview about it. So, I bet Rodgers is clean and the league has already spoken to him.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
In all actuality, no one knows if Rodgers cheats the inflation higher or if it's within the 13.5 psi limit

However, I do not think he would incriminate himself in an interview about it. So, I bet Rodgers is clean and the league has already spoken to him.

Or, he was defending is good Buddy Tom Brady by saying "I do it too" never thinking in a million years the penalty for improperly inflated footballs would be what was handed down today.

And had he known on January 21 (the day he made his comments) would he have so easily jumped into the middle of this mess?

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
Or, he was defending is good Buddy Tom Brady by saying "I do it too" never thinking in a million years the penalty for improperly inflated footballs would be what was handed down today.

And had he known on January 21 (the day he made his comments) would he have so easily jumped into the middle of this mess?

You're really reaching on this quest to get views. You should write some mystery books with all these theories and observations you seem to have. Did you suffer from lack of attention when you were young, or maybe still do?

🏀

• All American

Very well could be that as well. I'm kinda with you, Rodgers shouldn't have said crap. I don't believe any NFL team isn't trying to cheat every game. Well, except for the Browns.

brandx

My theory is that everybody cheats at everything. Never seen proof refuting the premise, so it is true.

GGGG

• All American
Probably ... Rodgers bragged he cheated so it probably happened to the Bears.   Or do you think Rodgers was lying to Simms and he did not violate the now sacred ball inflation rule?

Look I get it, your a Packer fan and your plays don't cheat.  All I'm asking is if they established a standard today for violating the ball inflation rule, and Rodgers bragged he violated it too, why isn't he getting punished the same as Brady?

Rodgers said something to Simms that Simms may have repeated correctly.  That's all you got.

No opposing teams complained.  No referee to my knowledge has had issues with the balls the Packers use.  Absolutely zero hard evidence of any sort.

Look, I get it.  Your a Bears fan and the last 20+ years has been hard on you.  Someday you'll get your quarterback and someday you'll be able to beat the Packers consistently without contorting ways to get their quarterback suspended.

StillAWarrior

• All American
They are very familiar ... just a bunch of blinded packer fans here. 

The NFL set a standard today.  4 games, loss of draft picks and fine for violating the ball inflation rule.  Brady claims he never did, Rodgers freely admitted he did.

You either don't understand what the NFL did today, or you're being intentionally obtuse.  Doesn't really matter which.  The NFL didn't set the standard for violation of the ball inflation rule, they set the standard for tampering with balls after the initial check (and for trying to cover it up).  According to the report, two of New England's balls were under-inflated prior to the initial check.  The officials simply pumped some air into them and deflated them down to 12.5 which is what they knew Brady wanted.  It was the tampering after that (as well as the lying and cover-up) that led to the penalties.  Neither Brady or the Patriots would have been disciplined for those under-inflated balls at the initial check.

If Rodgers and the Packers submitted balls that were over-inflated, they haven't violated the rule.  If the officials see that they're over inflated, their actions at the AFC Championship game (when the added air to two of NE's balls) would suggest that they would bleed air out until they comply.  The result, of course, would be that Rodgers gets his balls at the upper limit of what is allowed.

Since there is absolutely no evidence suggesting that Rodgers or the Packers ever tampered with balls after the check, there is no reason to conduct an investigation.

/Not a Packers fan.  At all.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
I know that there has been some statistics cited showing that the Patriots had one of the lower turnover rates in the League.  Has anyone seen anything addressing whether there was any material difference between their home games and road games?  I haven't.  If, as some are suggesting, the under-inflated balls were a contributing factor to the low turnover rate, I'd expect to see a noticeable difference when they are on the road.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
You're really reaching on this quest to get views. You should write some mystery books with all these theories and observations you seem to have. Did you suffer from lack of attention when you were young, or maybe still do?
I'm willing to be corrected, but does Heisenberg get paid for views, or is this a free forum for him just like everyone else?

There are other examples of inconsistencies with the NFL and equipment tampering, for example the Minnesota Vikings heating up game balls on the sideline during the game on live TV. I believe the penalty there was $25k for the organization.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
I know that there has been some statistics cited showing that the Patriots had one of the lower turnover rates in the League.  Has anyone seen anything addressing whether there was any material difference between their home games and road games?  I haven't.  If, as some are suggesting, the under-inflated balls were a contributing factor to the low turnover rate, I'd expect to see a noticeable difference when they are on the road.
Don't both teams provide their own balls regardless of venue? If that's the case, road and home games wouldn't make a difference with balls
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

GGGG

• All American
I'm willing to be corrected, but does Heisenberg get paid for views, or is this a free forum for him just like everyone else?

So you forgot to sign up for the Scoop Rewards Program?  Earn enough "reply points" and the mods get you stuff like a seat cushion or a new car. 

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
I think the 3rd team in 25 years to have 0 fumbles at home is more interesting to the case than anything else, and isn't even the focus.
Penalty was probably too harsh.  All Tom Brady had to do was downplay it from the beginning and admit to it and the story would have been a lot different.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:23:26 AM by RushmoreAcademy »

GB Warrior

• All American
If the Packers over inflate the balls and in the pre game check the officials allow those balls for play, then there is no problem. If, however, as the Patriots did, deflate the balls surreptitiously, after they had been checked by the refs, well, that's another matter.

This - let's stop being stupid. It's a lot harder to tamper with the ball to add air midgame than vice versa. There have been no reported chain of custody issues with the Packers. And to be frank, the Packers could beat the Bears with Brett Hundley right now.

This being send - F*** Roger Goodell. I'm no Pats fan and I'm POSITIVE there is wrongdoing here. However, the report doesn't prove that, plain and simple. And likewise, this arbitrary justice stuff should be a primary arguing point of the new CBA, because Brady was just put on the shelf for refusing to incriminate himself. The NFL can keep thinking it is a lawmaker, but it will keep getting called out in court if it does.

StillAWarrior

• All American
Don't both teams provide their own balls regardless of venue? If that's the case, road and home games wouldn't make a difference with balls

Yes, but the issue here isn't how the balls are when they get to the refs.  The issue here is what is being done with the balls after the refs check them.  In the report, it is (at least) implied that New England might have been tampering with the balls on more occasions than just the AFC Championship game.  The attendant in the officials' locker room (McNally) is the guy who is alleged to have tampered with the balls.  The report indicates that for a normal game, McNally was generally alone with the balls for plenty of time to adjust the pressure.  This is in the officials' locker room while the officials are doing their pre-game walk through.  On the night of the AFC Championship game, there were a lot of extra people around and the report suggests this is why McNally had to take the unprecedented step of taking the balls early and taking them to the rest room.

So, it would make a difference whether it is a home or an away game.  Since the home team provides the attendant for the officials' locker room, the road team would not likely have any opportunity to tamper with the balls after the initial check.

By the way, a very quick and unscientific look at box scores on ESPN doesn't support that NE had more fumbles on the road.  At best, it shows that it was almost even (looking at all fumbles -- whether the other team recovered or not).  Also, if you look at the period after the NY Jets game (when Brady is alleged to have blown up at the attendants because the balls were over-inflated), there were actually a lot more fumbles at home (8) than on the road (1).  Note:  there were seven home games and only four road games.

MerrittsMustache

• All American

So you forgot to sign up for the Scoop Rewards Program?  Earn enough "reply points" and the mods get you stuff like a seat cushion or a new car. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.

What's the exchange rate of Schrute Bucks to Stanley Nickles?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
So the Bears organization holds the fate of the Rodgers?  If they call the NFL, Rodgers is cooked?

I would be happy with a 1 game suspension for A Rodg.  Quick Dish, get someone on the phone at Halas Hall.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Tugg Speedman

• All American
You either don't understand what the NFL did today, or you're being intentionally obtuse.  Doesn't really matter which.  The NFL didn't set the standard for violation of the ball inflation rule, they set the standard for tampering with balls after the initial check (and for trying to cover it up).  According to the report, two of New England's balls were under-inflated prior to the initial check.  The officials simply pumped some air into them and deflated them down to 12.5 which is what they knew Brady wanted.  It was the tampering after that (as well as the lying and cover-up) that led to the penalties.  Neither Brady or the Patriots would have been disciplined for those under-inflated balls at the initial check.

If Rodgers and the Packers submitted balls that were over-inflated, they haven't violated the rule.  If the officials see that they're over inflated, their actions at the AFC Championship game (when the added air to two of NE's balls) would suggest that they would bleed air out until they comply.  The result, of course, would be that Rodgers gets his balls at the upper limit of what is allowed.

Since there is absolutely no evidence suggesting that Rodgers or the Packers ever tampered with balls after the check, there is no reason to conduct an investigation.

/Not a Packers fan.  At all.

Nice version of events.  Too bad the NFL press release says none of this

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492190/article/nfl-releases-statement-on-patriots-violations

"Based on the extensive record developed in the investigation and detailed in the Wells report, and after full consideration of this matter by the Commissioner and the Football Operations department, we have determined that the Patriots have violated the NFL's Policy on Integrity of the Game and Enforcement of Competitive Rules, as well as the Official Playing Rules and the established guidelines for the preparation of game footballs set forth in the NFL's Game Operations Policy Manual for Member Clubs.

-----
The highlighted part means mere act of submitting an improperly inflated footballs is a violation of the rule.  Until yesterday the penalty was the ref would add/take out air out of the ball until it complied with the rules.

Today the penalty is suspension, fine and loss of draft picks.

Only one active player in the NFL has admitted to violating the Official Playing Rules and the established guidelines for the preparation of game footballs set forth in the NFL's Game Operations Policy Manual for Member Clubs.

That player is Aaron Rodgers

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:53:23 AM by Heisenberg »

GGGG

• All American
Nice version of events.  Too bad the NFL press release says none of this

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492190/article/nfl-releases-statement-on-patriots-violations

"Based on the extensive record developed in the investigation and detailed in the Wells report, and after full consideration of this matter by the Commissioner and the Football Operations department, we have determined that the Patriots have violated the NFL's Policy on Integrity of the Game and Enforcement of Competitive Rules, as well as the Official Playing Rules and the established guidelines for the preparation of game footballs set forth in the NFL's Game Operations Policy Manual for Member Clubs.

-----
The highlighted part means mere act of submitting an improperly inflated footballs is a violation of the rule.  Until yesterday the penalty was the ref would add/take out air out of the ball until it complied with the rules.

Only one active player in the NFL has admitted to violating the Official Playing Rules and the established guidelines for the preparation of game footballs set forth in the NFL's Game Operations Policy Manual for Member Clubs.

Even by your standards this is just a load of bunk.

StillAWarrior

• All American
Nice version of events.  Too bad the NFL press release says none of this

-----
The highlighted part means mere act of submitting an improperly inflated footballs is a violation of the rule.  Until yesterday the penalty was the ref would add/take out air out of the ball until it complied with the rules.

OK, so intentionally obtuse it is.  I had my suspicions, but you seem to be going out of your way to remove all doubt.

First of all, I don't agree with your interpretation of what that highlighted text means (i.e., tampering with footballs after they've been inspected would also qualify as a violation of the guidelines for the preparation of footballs).  Second, you omitted the next sentence, which makes clear that it is the issues addressed in the report (i.e., the post-inspection tampering) that led to the discipline.  Third, the next paragraph (which you also don't quote) refers to deflating footballs in a secretive manner (which occurred post-inspection).  Fourth, the next paragraph also talked about "deliberate actions" by Patriots employees which, based on context, is clearly relating to the post-inspection deflation.  Fifth...the next paragraph, refers to the fact that the footballs were "intentionally deflated."  Oh, and let's not forget the opening sentence (which you also didn't quote) that refers to the punishment being "the use of under-inflated footballs" (and not "submitting" under-inflated footballs).

But I'll give you credit, you seem to have identified and highlighted one of the few sentences in the entire statement that is ambiguous enough to arguably support your position.  Kudos.

brandx

How do we know this? Was their an investigation?  Like I said above investigate and clear him.  

And if they do investigate, you're positive no assistant trainer ever snuck a few pumps into the balls after they were inspected?

Why would anyone investigate anything if there are no allegations of wrongdoing?

I would like you to give me any instance where Rodgers has been accused of cheating  - by another player, another coach, another GM.

It's stunning how you have more knowledge of cheating by Rodgers than anyone else anywhere. Just apologize for trolling (again) and move on to your next outrage.

• All American
Why would anyone investigate anything if there are no allegations of wrongdoing?

I would like you to give me any instance where Rodgers has been accused of cheating  - by another player, another coach, another GM.

It's stunning how you have more knowledge of cheating by Rodgers than anyone else anywhere. Just apologize for trolling (again) and move on to your next outrage.
Rodgers admitted in the article to over inflating balls.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Again, I think this entire deflate-gate is way overblown.  But since the NFL set a new standard (again I don't agree with it) why not apply it evenly.  Rodgers admitted to breaking the rule.  Eli Manning uses a glove.  Should that be banned too?

I understand their are a lot of packers fans here torturing words to say what Brady did and what Rodgers did are two different things.  Not everyone agrees.  Below are two commentaries of many that say what I've been saying.  Many more are asking about Rodgers from a consistency standpoint.

BTW, the Wells report never found "proof" the balls were intentionally deflated.  The best they have is a video that of an assistant trainers taking them into the can for 100 seconds.  They don't know if we was really taking a leak, or did they explain how one can deflate 12 balls in 100 seconds.  Again, they have more on Rodgers than they do on Brady.

----------------

Deflategate punishments are NFL’s weak attempts to right its own wrongs
The Washington Post
May 12, 2015
Sally Jenkins

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/deflategate-punishments-are-nfls-lame-attempts-to-right-its-own-wrongs/2015/05/12/c1b2d2be-f8b1-11e4-9ef4-1bb7ce3b3fb7_story.html

If you dock Brady four games, then you have to dock Aaron Rodgers, too. Rodgers admitted to CBS analyst Phil Simms last season that he “pushes the limit” on how much air is in the ball. Rodgers has large hands and likes an extremely hard ball. He told Simms that he tells his equipment guys to “even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take the air out of it.” Simms reported this on national television, and no one called it a ‘Gate’ — for the simple reason that it’s not cheating. It’s a preference. And it comes with an equalizing downside. If a softer ball is easier to grip, it also decelerates when you throw it, loses velocity and doesn’t travel as far. If it’s overinflated the way Rodgers likes it, then it travels farther, faster.

10 Reasons Why an Appeal Overturns Tom Brady’s Suspension

by Daniel J. Flynn12
May 2015

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2015/05/12/top-10-reasons-why-an-appeal-overturns-tom-bradys-suspension/

#5 The NFL Doesn’t Punish for Ball Tampering

Brady denies tampering. Another, some might argue better, quarterback, admits it. “I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football,” Aaron Rodgers told CBS’s Phil Simms pre-Deflategate, “even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it.” Aside from the rule-breaking admission, the Green Bay Packers QB’s preference for bigger footballs brings into question whether a lack of pressure provides an advantage or caters to a preference. Additionally, Fox’s cameras caught the Minnesota Vikings and Carolina Panthers heating balls this past season in frigid Minneapolis. NFL officiating guru Dean Blandino told the teams to knock it off. Rodgers has thus far escaped both the tongue lashing and the $25,000 fine. Rule 2, Section 1 states: “The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications…. the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.” This didn’t happen. “In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted,” Rule 2, Section 2 holds, “the Referee shall secure a proper ball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball.” This didn’t happen.

GGGG

• All American
Again, I think this entire deflate-gate is way overblown.  But since the NFL set a new standard (again I don't agree with it) why not apply it evenly.  Rodgers admitted to breaking the rule.  Eli Manning uses a glove.  Should that be banned too?

I understand their are a lot of packers fans here torturing words to say what Brady did and what Rodgers did are two different things.  Not everyone agrees.  Below are two commentaries of many that say what I've been saying.  Many more are asking about Rodgers from a consistency standpoint.

BTW, the Wells report never found "proof" the balls were intentionally deflated.  The best they have is a video that of an assistant trainers taking them into the can for 100 seconds.  They don't know if we was really taking a leak, or did they explain how one can deflate 12 balls in 100 seconds.  Again, they have more on Rodgers than they do on Brady.

----------------

Deflategate punishments are NFL’s weak attempts to right its own wrongs
The Washington Post
May 12, 2015
Sally Jenkins

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/deflategate-punishments-are-nfls-lame-attempts-to-right-its-own-wrongs/2015/05/12/c1b2d2be-f8b1-11e4-9ef4-1bb7ce3b3fb7_story.html

If you dock Brady four games, then you have to dock Aaron Rodgers, too. Rodgers admitted to CBS analyst Phil Simms last season that he “pushes the limit” on how much air is in the ball. Rodgers has large hands and likes an extremely hard ball. He told Simms that he tells his equipment guys to “even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take the air out of it.” Simms reported this on national television, and no one called it a ‘Gate’ — for the simple reason that it’s not cheating. It’s a preference. And it comes with an equalizing downside. If a softer ball is easier to grip, it also decelerates when you throw it, loses velocity and doesn’t travel as far. If it’s overinflated the way Rodgers likes it, then it travels farther, faster.

10 Reasons Why an Appeal Overturns Tom Brady’s Suspension

by Daniel J. Flynn12
May 2015

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2015/05/12/top-10-reasons-why-an-appeal-overturns-tom-bradys-suspension/

#5 The NFL Doesn’t Punish for Ball Tampering

Brady denies tampering. Another, some might argue better, quarterback, admits it. “I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football,” Aaron Rodgers told CBS’s Phil Simms pre-Deflategate, “even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it.” Aside from the rule-breaking admission, the Green Bay Packers QB’s preference for bigger footballs brings into question whether a lack of pressure provides an advantage or caters to a preference. Additionally, Fox’s cameras caught the Minnesota Vikings and Carolina Panthers heating balls this past season in frigid Minneapolis. NFL officiating guru Dean Blandino told the teams to knock it off. Rodgers has thus far escaped both the tongue lashing and the $25,000 fine. Rule 2, Section 1 states: “The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications…. the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.” This didn’t happen. “In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted,” Rule 2, Section 2 holds, “the Referee shall secure a proper ball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball.” This didn’t happen.

Well done.

Both articles you quote say that Rodgers didn't break the rules.

feedback