'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[Today at 01:04:46 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why arent we talking about the game this week?  (Read 8886 times)

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
Why arent we talking about the game this week?
« on: December 04, 2012, 08:39:16 AM »
Why is nobody talking about the game?

GGGG

• All American
Re: Why arent we talking about the game this week?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:52:37 AM »
I was going to be snarky, but honestly I thought the same thing.  I still think we are a little shell-shocked over the Florida game and have no idea what to expect.

I think it is going to be a very difficult, hard-fought game.  Wisconsin has trouble scoring against quality defense, but man if they get hot, they have some shooters that can really light it up.  Here is how I would play it.

**Junior can guard Traevon Jackson or George Marshall.  Don't pick up dumb fouls.
**Put Vander on Brust and smother him.  He is their one streak shooter.
**I think Lockett can handle Brusewitz or Dekker...same with Jamil on Evans
**Here is the real question though...can our bigs handle Bergren?  Especially if he steps out to the three.  I wouldn't double him until he can show that he can make some shots underneath though.

UW is going to sag on defense.  This might be the game that Thomas finally shows his worth.  But there aren't going to be many driving lanes, and the ones that exist might be fool's gold.

All and all, I think MU wins a very close, very ugly game.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:11:50 AM »
I see this going a lot like two years ago. UW sags, MU can't get to the hoop. UW stretches the floor with their shooters, MU can't get a defensive rebound.

UW by 7.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
I see this going a lot like two years ago. UW sags, MU can't get to the hoop. UW stretches the floor with their shooters, MU can't get a defensive rebound.

UW by 7.

Sheesh...You'd think this was a great UW team?? This is Bo's LEAST Talented UW team since he's been there(they will be lucky to make the NCAAs), and they may be a lot of things, but one thing they are NOT is good defensively. Virginia drove at will on them, and beat them easily at the Kohl. MU wins this one handily.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:22:16 AM »
Its fair to say UW is no great team.  It is however equally fair to say MU isnt a great team either.

MU needs to pressure all over the floor.  UW has terrible ball handlers all over the place.  Even with Gasser who isnt really a PG to begin with, that is what I would do.  Dont allow UW to control the game with their deliberate half court "swing".  Have them running that thing 25 feet from the basket and dont let them get into it for 10 seconds after you have full court pressed them.

This would also apply pressure on the 3pt shooters which is key.  Its not like UW is gonna drive past them to the basket...

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:32:42 AM »
There is a good reason that no one really is excited about the game as both teams are average at best.  Badgers should win as they can shot the ball, MU can not.  If MU is going
to win, Jamil Wilson has to play much better.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 09:33:29 AM »
Never thought I would say this but "thank you KenoshaWarrior".  Let's get back to basketball.

My sincere hope is that after a week of Buzz riding the guys in practice, we come out like a bat out of hell and beat the crap out of them.

That said, it will probably be an infuriatingly ugly, slow, close game that we pull out in the end.

MU by 5.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 09:39:33 AM »
If they are going to pack it in, I think MU needs to have confidence in Jamil and Blue to make their jump shots.

Get Jamil to the elbow, let blue create a shot. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 09:43:27 AM »
Sheesh...You'd think this was a great UW team?? This is Bo's LEAST Talented UW team since he's been there(they will be lucky to make the NCAAs), and they may be a lot of things, but one thing they are NOT is good defensively. Virginia drove at will on them, and beat them easily at the Kohl. MU wins this one handily.

I hope you're right, but MU's lack of shooting scares me. UW will pack it in, and flop on contact. If those get called, MU could be in some big foul trouble.

Berggren is a matchup nightmare. I don't want Otule or Gardner that far from the hoop defensively, but I don't know who else would check him.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 09:43:59 AM »
I like Lockett's game in this one.  UW will sag and dare us to shoot from the outside.  However the sagging will allow some penetration, just not all of the way to the basket.

Lockett is quite good at that mid-range shot.  I say Lockett is the leading scorer in this one.

Marquette by 7.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 09:48:46 AM »
I like Lockett's game in this one.  UW will sag and dare us to shoot from the outside.  However the sagging will allow some penetration, just not all of the way to the basket.

Lockett is quite good at that mid-range shot.  I say Lockett is the leading scorer in this one.

Marquette by 7.
Lockett is basically a player that scores inside of 2 feet. I do not see how he does well against UW's size.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 09:53:44 AM »
I hope you're right, but MU's lack of shooting scares me. UW will pack it in, and flop on contact. If those get called, MU could be in some big foul trouble.

Berggren is a matchup nightmare. I don't want Otule or Gardner that far from the hoop defensively, but I don't know who else would check him.

Otule did a nice job last year against Berggren. Now, he's certainly not moving as well as he use to, but he has experience defending him.

I think MU can force some turnovers against UW and get some baskets in transition.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »
Lockett is basically a player that scores inside of 2 feet. I do not see how he does well against UW's size.

Disagree.  He has a nice mid-range game which will work well against the Badgers sagging.  We will see on Saturday.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 10:03:33 AM »

Interesting point. This game will likely be more at his pace than Florida was.

As far as Otule/Berggren goes... I'm not as worried about the ability to cover. I'm more worried about pulling a rebounder 20 feet from the basket.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 10:09:29 AM »
We are going to win it.

We are going to win it for Rick.

Badgers won't know what hit them.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 10:30:39 AM »
So what is the over/under on the number of flops the Badgers will have when Gardner has the ball?

Along that note, I hope we don't post up Gardner too much in the game.  Their flopping will get him in foul trouble.  I like the idea of Gardner receiving passes off of drives to the basket however.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:37:45 AM by MarquetteDano »

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »
I'm glad the game is at home before finals which should translate into a pretty raucous crowd.
Anyone going to the Denver Alumni watching party at Stoneys? Send me a DM as I'm considering going and have always dreamed of meeting a fellow scooper ;)

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 10:33:32 AM »
After the Florida game, who wants to. Don't know why we never went after Showalter and Dekker.
May not be all flash but they are cash and hustle and smarts.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 10:33:56 AM »

As far as Otule/Berggren goes... I'm not as worried about the ability to cover. I'm more worried about pulling a rebounder 20 feet from the basket.

Chris really isn't much of a rebounder. If he AND Bergeren are both 20 feet away from the basket when UW shoots I'm OK with it.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »
Marquette by 11.  Marquette has to play tough defense on the Badger shooters.  Marquette has much more talent and depth than UW.  If fouls are called, MU will win because of their depth and the Badgers lack' of depth. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 10:48:02 AM »
Big indicators I'll watch for early:

- MU offensive fouls.
- Badger shooting and offense rebounds.

If MU doesn't pick up fouls on offense, and rebounds well on defense, I think they could win pretty easily.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 10:49:15 AM »
After the Florida game, who wants to. Don't know why we never went after Showalter and Dekker.

I understand Dekker - he was a great get by Bo.  But Showalter?  Cmon....limited talent with limited upside.  Hustles his ass off and is smart, but that's about it.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 10:54:53 AM »
For me, all this nonstop conference b.s. has really drained my passion for college hoops—including MU. I'm tuning it out more and just don't care as much.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:17:33 AM by Groin_pull »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 10:55:37 AM »

Hustle and smarts? Why not call them scrappy traditionals while you're at it?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »
For me, all this nonstop conference b.s. has really drained my passion for college hoops—including MU. I tuning it out more and just don't care as much.

I hear ya, but I can't blame MU for it. Still makes me nervous, unsettled and frankly, pissed off though.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 11:08:02 AM »
MU will beat UW this year.  End of story.  The Florida game was a turd.  Florida may be best team in country.  First real road game of the year.

I'm going bullish on Vander in this game...and Gardner (unless as has been pointed out UW gets flop calls going its way.)

Believe our length and athleticism will bother UW tremendously...

I'm also very curious to watch the PT distribution between Junior and Derrick Wilson.  The slower pace of UW actually helps Junior - get nervous with Junior against very athletic PG's and teams.  Wilson seems to handle that better.  Will also be watching if they keep calling the touch fouls on Derrick Wilson..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »
I hear ya, but I can't blame MU for it. Still makes me nervous, unsettled and frankly, pissed off though.

Totally understand it's not MU's fault. But unfortunately, that's the reality. It's hard to get excited when 95% of the discussions are about money and conference realignment. Sucks the fun right out of college sports.

DSEEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:59 AM »
Not sure what part of Lockett's game leads any of you to believe he is a good mid range player who will fill it up against Wisconsin. Was it the 2-7 performance against Florida. Or the 3-10 against UMBC. Has gotten most of his points this year on bail out fouls where he is taking bad shots.

Could be a glue guy later in the season, but has been a serious disappointment.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 11:33:58 AM »
The Florida blowout was a blessing in disguise. Buzz will have worked these guys to the bone by Saturday and they will be ready to go. Vander gets very very excited about this one I remember 2 years ago he was going wild before tip off. He didn't play so hot in that one but this year Vander has been good. It's Vander's time to show Madison what they missed out on.

Key to the game is simple. Will we finally have a game where both Jamil and Vander make shots...We have had both play well in games as individuals but they have yet to play well on the same day. If they both show up we will win, and I don't think it will be that close.

X factor: Will Jake Thomas shoot the goddamn ball when he is wide open and not pass up shots he can make. So far he's 44% from 3. Gotta take more of those.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »
Not sure what part of Lockett's game leads any of you to believe he is a good mid range player who will fill it up against Wisconsin. Was it the 2-7 performance against Florida. Or the 3-10 against UMBC. Has gotten most of his points this year on bail out fouls where he is taking bad shots.

Well, there were those 87 games played at Arizona State ....
But yeah, seven early season games at a new school probably matter more in evaluating him.

DSEEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »
I think a lot of people forget that most of what we have seen from Jake is against low major teams. You have a lot more time to get shots off against these teams. While Jake may "look" open, I don't think his release is quick  enough to get many good looks off.

ANyways, Van needs to keep being a STUD and Jamil needs to start being athletic and we will be fine.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »
The Florida blowout was a blessing in disguise. Buzz will have worked these guys to the bone by Saturday and they will be ready to go. Vander gets very very excited about this one I remember 2 years ago he was going wild before tip off. He didn't play so hot in that one but this year Vander has been good. It's Vander's time to show Madison what they missed out on.

Vander showed that in Madison last year.

I think a lot of people forget that most of what we have seen from Jake is against low major teams. You have a lot more time to get shots off against these teams. While Jake may "look" open, I don't think his release is quick  enough to get many good looks off.

Exactly what I have been saying.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 11:54:02 AM »

I sat 10 feet from the court in the three games in Maui and he was able to hit mid-range shots.  Saw a few games for ASU where he hit mid-range shots.  He can hit them.

Driving all the way to the hoop against Wisconsin often gets you a crowd or a charge.  Especially since I think they will sag on us.  Lockett's and Wilson's mid-range games will be at a premium in this one.

DSEEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 12:06:50 PM »
I sat 10 feet from the court in the three games in Maui and he was able to hit mid-range shots.  Saw a few games for ASU where he hit mid-range shots.  He can hit them.

Driving all the way to the hoop against Wisconsin often gets you a crowd or a charge.  Especially since I think they will sag on us.  Lockett's and Wilson's mid-range games will be at a premium in this one.

Fair enough. A bit of an overreaction on my part. I know they both have the capability to knock down shots I just wish they had some sort of consistency. I haven't seen much at all.

Don't know if anyone else mentioned this but another concern I have going forward is spacing on the floor. It seems Davante has struggled because he has been catching the ball way too far off the block. I'm sure this will be addressed this week.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »
Well, there were those 87 games played at Arizona State ....
But yeah, seven early season games at a new school probably matter more in evaluating him.

Quit using facts and sample size.

Start REACTING!!!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »
Don't know if anyone else mentioned this but another concern I have going forward is spacing on the floor. It seems Davante has struggled because he has been catching the ball way too far off the block. I'm sure this will be addressed this week.

That's partially by design. It gives him space to work, and frees up some room for cutters.

LON

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, 12:09:39 PM »
Fair enough. A bit of an overreaction on my part. I know they both have the capability to knock down shots I just wish they had some sort of consistency. I haven't seen much at all.

I recall him struggling against Florida, but UW doesn't have a Patric Young that can push him that far from the hoop.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 12:12:04 PM »
I think a lot of people forget that most of what we have seen from Jake is against low major teams. You have a lot more time to get shots off against these teams. While Jake may "look" open, I don't think his release is quick  enough to get many good looks off.

His release might not be quick enough to create shots, but certainly it's good enough to take an open shot. Does Vander have a quick release? How about Jamil? Probably not. If you shoot when you are wide open, you don't have to be quick.

Now, how can Jake get open? Well, there's the rub. He's has to depend on other teammates drawing defenders and kicking it to him. Not impossible, but MU needs to do a better job with spacing and understanding how to make the correct pass/extra pass.

Also, when he gets a look, he has to fire. I assume the coaches are encouraging him to shoot... but I guess we'll see.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 12:33:20 PM »

UW by 7.
So it'll be 17-10?

I'll be legitimately shocked if the Badgers break 50 points in this game. God, they are so boring to watch.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »
So it'll be 17-10?

I'll be legitimately shocked if the Badgers break 50 points in this game. God, they are so boring to watch.

UW will score more than 50.  They got 54 against one of the top team defenses in the country.  (Virginia.)  Marquette gives up points.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 01:07:06 PM »
Using the transitive property, we are in trouble.

They beat SE Louisiana by 40 points, we beat them by 11

They lost to Florida by 18 points, we lost to the Gators by 33

Of course the transitive property in college hoops is not a good idea.  How will our home court be this year...will Badger fans invade?  In the ratings, we're considerably behind them in Ken Pom, Sagarin, and RPI.

I don't know what to think, but I suspect a tight game. 

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 01:36:04 PM »
Not making any predictions, but I did read the Bucky thread over on their board (sorry, no link).  I still find it interesting that they are forcing the MU fans into believing this is our Superbowl.  As proof, one poster even went so afr to ask, why else would we take he last two weeks off to prepare?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »
Not our Super Bowl, but it will be our first win against a top-50 team this year.  And it will shut up all the UW-hyphen-MU-Bashers for another few months.  And it will be a really fun atmosphere at the BC on a Saturday evening.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 02:00:45 PM »

UW will score more than 50.  They got 54 against one of the top team defenses in the country.  (Virginia.)  Marquette gives up points.
Was that the same game where it was something like 39-36 with less than 8 to go in the second half?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 02:05:27 PM »
Was that the same game where it was something like 39-36 with less than 8 to go in the second half?

Nope.  It was 46-40 at the 8:00 minute mark. 

And the 54 point mark was their lowest of the year.  The second lowest was 74 to a ranked Creighton team.   This team scores more than previous UW teams did.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2012, 02:45:48 PM »
Nope.  It was 46-40 at the 8:00 minute mark. 

And the 54 point mark was their lowest of the year.  The second lowest was 74 to a ranked Creighton team.   This team scores more than previous UW teams did.

Exactly why they give up more this year as well.  Not slowing it down quite as much...

Im guessing that might change against MU though.  If not, MU should win.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »

I'll patiently wait until next year for Dawson, McKay, Burton, Wilson, and Johnson.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2012, 10:58:15 PM »
I think we put a spanking on Bucky. Early season but a game we should win and need to win.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2012, 08:11:36 AM »
I think we come back strong in this one. I think the Florida game just sort of snuck up on our guys in the middle of the week three days after the previous game and a long distance away; don't think they were mentally prepared.

This game is different. They've had a week to refocus and prep for UW-Madison and I'm sure that loss still stings. I'd hope Buzz has been all over Jamil in practice and I think he responds in this one. Vander is finally the type of player who will be able to really stick it to Becky's slow traditionals. Gardner will get his and put their bigs in foul trouble. If Junior doesn't turn the ball over and Lockett plays within himself, we win.

MU 68; Becky 55
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

feedback