'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Musketeer, have no fear.  (Read 5504 times)

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
Re: Musketeer, have no fear.
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2024, 02:41:37 PM »
Wolfgang please check PM
didn’t know this place had PMs. I think I responded

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2024, 02:56:26 PM »
Of course BG is going to be a drop-off from Oso defensively but so would nearly every center considering Oso's ability to switch and guard perimeter players.  He's a unicorn. 

BG has shown considerable improvement defensively as he's gotten healthy and gotten more minutes. 

Considering his skillset, people should be really excited about what he can become with another summer of development and getting stronger. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2024, 02:57:27 PM »
I support every scoopers right to mourn victory in any matter they so choose.

He looked sick and listless to me.   I celebrate your right to disagree.

I agree he didn’t look fully right.  But he had his midrange game going. Made a couple in the second half that were needed. I’ve said it before, he’s the only player that Shaka should allow that from.  He’s can’t get all the way to the hoop most times and has the height and skill to make those shots fading away.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2024, 03:02:00 PM »
Of course BG is going to be a drop-off from Oso defensively but so would nearly every center considering Oso's ability to switch and guard perimeter players.  He's a unicorn. 

BG has shown considerable improvement defensively as he's gotten healthy and gotten more minutes. 

Considering his skillset, people should be really excited about what he can become with another summer of development and getting stronger.

Yep.  He is going to be very good.  Will be fun to watch develop and take his skill to another level next year. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2024, 03:04:49 PM »
Of course there's going to be a dropoff from a two time All-BE 2nd teamer and NBA draft pick.

Just like there's going to be a dropoff in PG play next year, too.  Stay tuned for more of my keen insights.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2024, 03:09:25 PM »
MU is doomed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2024, 03:11:09 PM »
Of course there's going to be a dropoff from a two time All-BE 2nd teamer and NBA draft pick.

Just like there's going to be a dropoff in PG play next year, too.  Stay tuned for more of my keen insights.
Except we have a proven commodity to backfill Kolek as we saw yesterday.

All I’m saying is you guys think BGs better/will be better than the common non biased fans. Why can’t we bring in competition?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 03:15:58 PM by WolfganghisKhan »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2024, 03:28:29 PM »
Reasons to not hit the transfer portal for a big. (Assuming no additional departures.)
1.  Gold is good enough to start at center.
2.  Hamilton, Parham, Amadou.
3.  Culture and consistency.  Will this be the time Shaka goes back on his word and brings in a transfer and craps on continuity and development?
4. $$$  A center better than Ben is going to cost his weight in Gold.

So, in my opinion, MU does not go to the portal UNLESS A. Kam goes pro or B. Wholesale departures.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 03:37:48 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2024, 03:32:34 PM »
Disagree with 2/4 and not 100% sold on 1 but can get behind it. 3 is a whole different discussion.

Now if we’re all fine with next year being a “rebuilding” year then I understand rolling with what we have because I don’t think they’re good/will be good enough to be a top 25ish/non bubble team.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2024, 03:35:43 PM »
Except we have a proven commodity to backfill Kolek as we saw yesterday.

All I’m saying is you guys think BGs better/will be better than the common non biased fans. Why can’t we bring in competition?

What input do you have on BG from “common non-biased fans”?

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2024, 03:37:36 PM »
What input do you have on BG from “common non-biased fans”?
other college basketball fans who have watched Marquette? They think he’s a normal rotation big. If I brought up the NBA they’d laugh and think I was joking

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2024, 03:38:51 PM »
Reasons to not hit the transfer portal for a big. (Assuming no additional departures.)
1.  Gold is good enough to start at center.
2.  Hamilton, Parham, Amadou.
3.  Culture and consistency.  Will this be the time Shaka goes back on his word and brings in a transfer and craps on continuity and development?
4. $$$  A center better than Ben is going to coat.his weight in Gold.

So, in my opinion, MU does not go to the portal UNLESS A. Kam goes pro or B. Wholesale departures.

Number 1 is as incorrect at they come. We have lacked size for years and when we lose it’s always because we are out rebounded. Gold is not bette than Oso and oso gets out rebounded often. I think it would be a huge mistake to not and land a big man

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2024, 03:43:33 PM »
other college basketball fans who have watched Marquette? They think he’s a normal rotation big. If I brought up the NBA they’d laugh and think I was joking

And have they watched every minute of every Marquette game this year? 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2024, 03:45:40 PM »
Wolfgang

Not that I really care, but do you remember what was being said about Omax and Oso on this site over the past two years? Both of those guys were bashed often and one was a first round draft pick and the other one likely will be one.

I still laugh that countless folks on here that it was laughable that scouts were watching Omax last season. There is zero doubt in my mind that guys that get paid to know basketball have Gold on their radar screen.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2024, 03:54:43 PM »
Wolfgang

Not that I really care, but do you remember what was being said about Omax and Oso on this site over the past two years? Both of those guys were bashed often and one was a first round draft pick and the other one likely will be one.

I still laugh that countless folks on here that it was laughable that scouts were watching Omax last season. There is zero doubt in my mind that guys that get paid to know basketball have Gold on their radar screen.
Ill have you know my group chat with fellow Marquette alum called Omax “LottoMax” because at times he looked like a lottery pick. This was before last year.

Ellenson couldn’t hang in the league and he’s miles better than Gold. It’s tough to hang with NBA pros when you’re 30% 3pt shooter and below average athleticism.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 03:57:00 PM by WolfganghisKhan »

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2024, 03:57:07 PM »
Wolfgang

Strange, not a vibe I got. I must admit OMax surprised me a bit in the draft. But my sense is most people saw him NBA worthy. Tall, Aggressive,, Athletic, Smart, with a decent outside shot.

I also must admit I haven't tracked him this year. Hope he's ok

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2024, 04:02:58 PM »
BET should be fun. Have an odd feeling we will play DePaul.
That IS an odd feeling.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2024, 04:08:55 PM »
Tower

Gold is far ahead of Oso after year two. He has more tools and it is up to him and the coaching staff to push him to get better.

I gotta say, I loved the dichotomy between the Kam/Oso PnR & the Kam/Brick pick n pop.

I think Ben will be 'fine' next year. He's not Oso and I don't expect him to be. But he'll stress the defense differently.

I also think Parham is going to be a key cog sooner than later - a much closer Oso proxy than BG

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2024, 07:27:05 PM »
You’re joking of course, right? Those players just want their season over. Plus, the talent level is so far below Big East level, it really isn’t conceivable even if they found motivation. No way it isn’t Providence on Thursday.

There's a better chance of it being DePaul than Providence.  But, my money's on Villanova.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2024, 10:17:10 PM »

Ben Gold could be the best center in the Big East next season. I think he has a very good chance to at least be a top 5 starting center in the Big East next season. Check out who's leaving this season:

Out of Eligibility/Announced Not Using COVID Year:
Oso Ighodaro
Jaden Bediako
Joel Soriano
Josh Oduro
Jalen Thomas

May or May Not Use COVID Year:
Ryan Kalkbrenner
Eric Dixon
Lance Ware
Andre Screen
Abou Ousmane
Supreme Cook
Desean Nelson

Expected to Go Pro:
Donovan Clingan

If all the COVID year guys go, that leaves the projected starting Centers as:
Butler: Connor Turnbull (4.1 ppg/2.2 rpg)
Creighton: Isaac Traudt (3.2/1.4)
DePaul: Churchill Abass (3.9/3.3)
Georgetown: Thomas Sorber (#43 ranked FR)
Marquette: Ben Gold (5.0/3.3)
Providence: Rafael Castro (2.9/2.5)
Seton Hall: Elijah Hutchins-Everett (3.3/2.7)
St. John's: Zuby Ejiofor (4.2/3.3)
UConn: Samson Johnston (5.3/ 3.1)
Villanova: Matthew Hodge (#67 ranked FR)
Xavier: Sasa Ciani (2.8/3.3)

I would rather have Gold than anyone in that group. Now, some of the COVID year guys will come back, though I would take Gold over any of them except Kalkbrenner and Dixon. And I'm sure some schools will pick up better from the transfer portal. But it shows you how much competition there will be for starting quality bigs and how rare it is to have a guy put up big numbers when backing up a stud like Oso.

Gold's defense has massively improved as the season went on. His three point shot is streaky. Get that to a consistent 35% and add a full healthy offseason of development, I'm very optimistic about Ben as a starter next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2024, 03:41:44 AM »
I was completely negative on Gold to start the year, but he has grown steadily this year to the point that I have no concerns with him starting. Way more concerned about who will back him up.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2024, 06:26:28 AM »
Ben Gold could be the best center in the Big East next season. I think he has a very good chance to at least be a top 5 starting center in the Big East next season. Check out who's leaving this season:

Out of Eligibility/Announced Not Using COVID Year:
Oso Ighodaro
Jaden Bediako
Joel Soriano
Josh Oduro
Jalen Thomas

May or May Not Use COVID Year:
Ryan Kalkbrenner
Eric Dixon
Lance Ware
Andre Screen
Abou Ousmane
Supreme Cook
Desean Nelson

Expected to Go Pro:
Donovan Clingan

If all the COVID year guys go, that leaves the projected starting Centers as:
Butler: Connor Turnbull (4.1 ppg/2.2 rpg)
Creighton: Isaac Traudt (3.2/1.4)
DePaul: Churchill Abass (3.9/3.3)
Georgetown: Thomas Sorber (#43 ranked FR)
Marquette: Ben Gold (5.0/3.3)
Providence: Rafael Castro (2.9/2.5)
Seton Hall: Elijah Hutchins-Everett (3.3/2.7)
St. John's: Zuby Ejiofor (4.2/3.3)
UConn: Samson Johnston (5.3/ 3.1)
Villanova: Matthew Hodge (#67 ranked FR)
Xavier: Sasa Ciani (2.8/3.3)

I would rather have Gold than anyone in that group. Now, some of the COVID year guys will come back, though I would take Gold over any of them except Kalkbrenner and Dixon. And I'm sure some schools will pick up better from the transfer portal. But it shows you how much competition there will be for starting quality bigs and how rare it is to have a guy put up big numbers when backing up a stud like Oso.

Gold's defense has massively improved as the season went on. His three point shot is streaky. Get that to a consistent 35% and add a full healthy offseason of development, I'm very optimistic about Ben as a starter next season.

Yep. If Gold were to hit the open market, he would get a very nice NIL deal to go elsewhere. Here's hoping he's happy at Marquette.

As I just posted in another thread, in addition to vastly improved defense that has been extremely valuable to the team, he is shooting .375 from 3 the last 13 games. And that includes the 1-8 vs Creighton; aside from that, he's at .425 during the stretch.

If Gold had done exactly that for (name a high-major team), entered the portal and transferred to Marquette, most of the same MU fans criticizing him would be giving Shaka huzzahs for adding him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2024, 07:08:10 AM »
I don't think I'd compare Gold to Oso as seniors because they are such different players. Oso was strictly a center who did all his work around the basket and was clearly the backup to Kur. He was a fine defensive reserve and excellent offensive big, but he didn't remotely handle the ball or pass like he does now.

Gold rotates in at two positions and can play in Oso's spot or alongside him. He handles more on the perimeter than Oso did at the same stage and stretches the floor better than Oso did (his floor stretching through passing didn't come until his junior year). I'm confident in Gold as a starter. He might not be as good defensively, but the consistent defensive growth we've seen gives me confidence he'll be there next year. His offensive game also suits the system well and while it's not one-for-one to Oso, I don't think we'll see a dramatic dropoff with him. As TAMU notes, barring portal additions he'll be one of the best bigs in the league next year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2024, 07:49:33 AM »
brew

I think Gold can do some of the things Oso has done offensively, plus has other tools. He has shown that he can be a nifty passer and I think he can develop into a very good ball handler for a big guy. That said, they are not the same players and Gold has to develop into the best version of himself, not try and be Oso.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2024, 07:59:12 AM »
Oso is a unicorn who can guard 5 positions.   Ben isn't.   Yet.   It struck me how small Ben looked against Clingan.   Ben lacks the explosiveness of Oso.  I want to see what he looks like after a healthy offseason.   I have seen Ben make moves that Oso did not or could not as a sophomore.   I have seen Ben beat his man off the dribble from the top of the key only to throw an alley oop to Amadou. I have seen him compete for 37 minutes against Kalkbrenner and not get embarrassed.

So, tell me.   What am I missing?  What is it about this sophomore that has convinced a subset of scoop that he cannot be the starting center as a junior.   Seriously.  Enlighten me.   

feedback