[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OT: A few DirecTV Extra Innings questions for Chicos  (Read 8919 times)

Eye

• All American
OT: A few DirecTV Extra Innings questions for Chicos
« on: April 08, 2009, 01:33:14 PM »
Chicos:

Unless there's some reason it's no longer available as I switched this winter from a regular receiver to an HD receiver, I see I'm no longer able to access the interactive features on the Extra Innings package this year. That was particularly nice to see a box score and keep up with games when jumping around, especially in National League games, to see who's still available off the bench, in relief, that type of thing. Should I still be getting that this year? Has that been dropped this year? If it's been dropped, any shot it could return? The standings also were useful from time-to-time, as the daily paper in my hometown is awful.

Also, just checking to see that three other things have remained the same. First, are local markets still protected? As a Cubs fan, this becomes an issue for me when they play the Brewers, and the Brewers don't carry the game, and the Cubs have the game on Comcast instead of GN. I can't watch the game in those spots. Wouldn't MLB want me to be able to watch the Cubs game in some form rather than taking a pass on BB in general for that three-hour period?

Second, is that 12 to 6 window on Saturday's still blacked out other than local teams? That drives me absolutely freaking nuts to be honest with you. See explanation above. Any shot that they'd ever be able to get the Fox games to the point the CBS college basketball games are on Saturday's, where folks who subscrible to EI can see all the regional games instead of just the one that's been selected for the local market?

Lastly, are replays still protected? Once again, see explanation above. That becomes an issue for me when I'm coaching and can't watch all of a game live (I can't afford an upgrade to TIVO right now, got laid off 2 1/2 months ago).

I know you've told me before that the MLB TV contract is a cluster froikus, but hoping perhaps they've seen the relative light on some things. The MLB Network seems like a big-time step in the right direction.

Thanks.
GO WARRIORS!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: OT: A few DirecTV Extra Innings questions for Chicos
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 02:53:29 PM »
Chicos:

Unless there's some reason it's no longer available as I switched this winter from a regular receiver to an HD receiver, I see I'm no longer able to access the interactive features on the Extra Innings package this year. That was particularly nice to see a box score and keep up with games when jumping around, especially in National League games, to see who's still available off the bench, in relief, that type of thing. Should I still be getting that this year? Has that been dropped this year? If it's been dropped, any shot it could return? The standings also were useful from time-to-time, as the daily paper in my hometown is awful.

Also, just checking to see that three other things have remained the same. First, are local markets still protected? As a Cubs fan, this becomes an issue for me when they play the Brewers, and the Brewers don't carry the game, and the Cubs have the game on Comcast instead of GN. I can't watch the game in those spots. Wouldn't MLB want me to be able to watch the Cubs game in some form rather than taking a pass on BB in general for that three-hour period?

Second, is that 12 to 6 window on Saturday's still blacked out other than local teams? That drives me absolutely freaking nuts to be honest with you. See explanation above. Any shot that they'd ever be able to get the Fox games to the point the CBS college basketball games are on Saturday's, where folks who subscrible to EI can see all the regional games instead of just the one that's been selected for the local market?

Lastly, are replays still protected? Once again, see explanation above. That becomes an issue for me when I'm coaching and can't watch all of a game live (I can't afford an upgrade to TIVO right now, got laid off 2 1/2 months ago).

I know you've told me before that the MLB TV contract is a cluster froikus, but hoping perhaps they've seen the relative light on some things. The MLB Network seems like a big-time step in the right direction.

Thanks.

Interactive features are gone.  MLBAM  (which is the interactive rights holder for MLB) basically made us pull that out this year.

Not all the markets that were protected last year are protected this year, the zip codes have changed depending where you live and what teams have claims to that territory.  PM me your zip if you want me to check directly for you or on a certain team.

Yes, the 12 to 6 window is still blacked out as Fox owns the broadcasting rights on Saturday afternoons.  They own the rights and prevent any other games from being broadcast nationally, including online through the MLBAM product MLBtv.com

Yes, replays are still protected in local markets also.  This is why even on ESPN Classic games from 20 years ago will often be blacked out in certain markets per MLB rules.

MLB Network is great....we're a huge owner in the channel and have worked hard with them to get it going, but yes there are still many aspects of blackouts, etc that are a bit archaic.  Selig has said he would like to take a second look at these with the hopes of changing the current process.  He made that statement last year....hopefully that will happen.

J

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 03:37:20 PM »
Interactive features are gone.  MLBAM  (which is the interactive rights holder for MLB) basically made us pull that out this year.

Not all the markets that were protected last year are protected this year, the zip codes have changed depending where you live and what teams have claims to that territory.  PM me your zip if you want me to check directly for you or on a certain team.

Yes, the 12 to 6 window is still blacked out as Fox owns the broadcasting rights on Saturday afternoons.  They own the rights and prevent any other games from being broadcast nationally, including online through the MLBAM product MLBtv.com

Yes, replays are still protected in local markets also.  This is why even on ESPN Classic games from 20 years ago will often be blacked out in certain markets per MLB rules.

MLB Network is great....we're a huge owner in the channel and have worked hard with them to get it going, but yes there are still many aspects of blackouts, etc that are a bit archaic. 

Any chance that AT&T is going to pick up MLB Network soon?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 03:43:20 PM »
Any chance that AT&T is going to pick up MLB Network soon?

That's their call, I don't know what their intentions are for their U-Verse product.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:10:12 PM »
Thanks Chicos. Informative and helpful as always. Sent my ZIP in a PM.
GO WARRIORS!

mustever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 01:00:30 PM »
Chicos,
 I have another question.I like to watch the Padres and have noticed that only the visitors feed is picked up.I know in the past 4SD had their feed on.Has this changed?Also why doesn't FS Prime Ticket or FS West pick up Padres games?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 01:05:16 PM »
Chicos,
 I have another question.I like to watch the Padres and have noticed that only the visitors feed is picked up.I know in the past 4SD had their feed on.Has this changed?Also why doesn't FS Prime Ticket or FS West pick up Padres games?

That is correct.  COX owns the rights to the Padres...the same thing applies to the Phillies where Comcast owns the rights and in Toronto, Rogers owns the rights to the Jays.

Last year MLB let us carry those feeds on MLB Extra Innings despite us not carrying those RSNs.  This year, that's not happening.  So we only carry the visiting feeds for the Padres, Jays and Phillies.

Prime Ticket and FS West have rights to the Dodgers and Halos

Eye

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 08:35:04 PM »
Checking on a couple of other things while I'm at ...

Without the interactive features this year, is the Game Mix going to be offered for the entire season with a standard subscription or will it cost extra?

If it costs extra, how much more is it (couldn't find the answer on your website)?

As I've never had it before, I'm guessing it's not available during that Saturday 12 to 6 window, which would be my primary reason for getting it (7 Cubs games that aren't against the Brewers or on GN start at 12:05/12:10 on Saturday's, plus three Fox games will be trumped by the Twins, plus the Sept. 14 Cubs - Brewers game will be same situation as tonight, not on GN, not on FSN Wisconsin, so even though it's on Comcast Chicago and I pay $179 for EI, I can't watch, makes ZERO sense, thanks Bud, at least I can follow the Cubs TV audio on the Game Mix tonight, Manny's going to look 10 feet tall in about 35 minutes)?

I understand I'm shooting the messenger here, but if you'd like, you're more than welcome to have someone with MLB contact me if they'd like some feedback on this. Never thought 5 or 10 years ago it would be easier to watch as many MU games as possible over the Cubs, but that's the way it is now.

Thanks ...
GO WARRIORS!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 09:57:28 PM »
Checking on a couple of other things while I'm at ...

Without the interactive features this year, is the Game Mix going to be offered for the entire season with a standard subscription or will it cost extra?

If it costs extra, how much more is it (couldn't find the answer on your website)?

As I've never had it before, I'm guessing it's not available during that Saturday 12 to 6 window, which would be my primary reason for getting it (7 Cubs games that aren't against the Brewers or on GN start at 12:05/12:10 on Saturday's, plus three Fox games will be trumped by the Twins, plus the Sept. 14 Cubs - Brewers game will be same situation as tonight, not on GN, not on FSN Wisconsin, so even though it's on Comcast Chicago and I pay $179 for EI, I can't watch, makes ZERO sense, thanks Bud, at least I can follow the Cubs TV audio on the Game Mix tonight, Manny's going to look 10 feet tall in about 35 minutes)?

I understand I'm shooting the messenger here, but if you'd like, you're more than welcome to have someone with MLB contact me if they'd like some feedback on this. Never thought 5 or 10 years ago it would be easier to watch as many MU games as possible over the Cubs, but that's the way it is now.

Thanks ...

If you get MLB Extra Innings, you should be able to get almost all the Cubs games based on the fact they are your out of market team.   

Game mix will remain part of the MLB EI package, no extra cost.  Games in HD as well and we typically broadcast dual feeds (the only major provider to do so...home and away for most games, but not all).

The reason you're not getting the Cubs game tonight is because you should get it on the Brewers telecast.  What channel is the Brewers game on?  You should be able to find it there.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
Brewers weren't on last night in southwestern Wisconsin. The Bucks game was on FSN Wisconsin (Brewers were on over-the-air TV in Milwaukee). This has happened consistently the last couple of years when the Cubs aren't on GN, and the Brewers aren't on FSN Wisconsin for whatever reason (Bucks, Brewers on over-the-air TV, just simply not carrying the game). Looking ahead, this also will be the case on the Sept. 14 (Cubs on Comcast, Brewers on over-the-air TV in Milwaukee).

Good to hear on the Game Mix. Seems like a fair trade for the loss of the interactive features. Is the Game Mix available on Saturday's between 12 and 6 (guessing no, like I said, haven't gotten it before, so just checking)?

The HD doesn't mean much to me now, but could in the near future. The dual feeds are mucho appreciated. Listening to Brian Anderson know ZERO about the Cubs during those Cubs - Brewers games that aren't on GN is extremely frustrating.

FYI, the total for this year is 150 out of 162 games, which is what you've fairly advertised it as being. The lost games are 7 Saturday 12:05/12:10 games that aren't on GN, 3 Saturday Fox games in which the Twins will pre-empt the Cubs, and 2 spots like last night. Are those 80 or so additional games worth an additional $179, or about $2 a game, or for me about $1 a game when splitting the package with my roommate? Sure. If I'm paying $179, do I think I should be able to get those 12:05/12:10 games that aren't on GN, other Fox regional games and the ability to watch all the Cubs - Brewers games (my 2nd favorite team BTW)? Yep.

In summary, I guess there's two things I don't think the folks making the BB contracts understand properly. If I can't watch the Cubs from 12 to 6 on a Saturday, I've got a million other entertainment options. I'll watch golf, horse racing, hockey, the NBA if it's the Heat, go golfing, go to watch a local high school or college game, go for a walk, mow the yard, etc. I won't watch BB from 12 to 6 on a Saturday unless it's the Cubs. I spend too much time watching BB on TV as it is, so I'm not going to watch a game I don't have a rooting interest in in that timeframe.

Also have to get the Brewers games that aren't on FSN Wisconsin but are on over-the-air TV in Milwaukee to be available to those that have EI in Wisconsin but are outside of the Milwaukee market.

Like I said, I know I'm killing the messenger. Off to Milwaukee for tonight's game. Thanks ...
GO WARRIORS!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 12:48:32 PM »
Brewers weren't on last night in southwestern Wisconsin. The Bucks game was on FSN Wisconsin (Brewers were on over-the-air TV in Milwaukee). This has happened consistently the last couple of years when the Cubs aren't on GN, and the Brewers aren't on FSN Wisconsin for whatever reason (Bucks, Brewers on over-the-air TV, just simply not carrying the game). Looking ahead, this also will be the case on the Sept. 14 (Cubs on Comcast, Brewers on over-the-air TV in Milwaukee).

Good to hear on the Game Mix. Seems like a fair trade for the loss of the interactive features. Is the Game Mix available on Saturday's between 12 and 6 (guessing no, like I said, haven't gotten it before, so just checking)?

The HD doesn't mean much to me now, but could in the near future. The dual feeds are mucho appreciated. Listening to Brian Anderson know ZERO about the Cubs during those Cubs - Brewers games that aren't on GN is extremely frustrating.

FYI, the total for this year is 150 out of 162 games, which is what you've fairly advertised it as being. The lost games are 7 Saturday 12:05/12:10 games that aren't on GN, 3 Saturday Fox games in which the Twins will pre-empt the Cubs, and 2 spots like last night. Are those 80 or so additional games worth an additional $179, or about $2 a game, or for me about $1 a game when splitting the package with my roommate? Sure. If I'm paying $179, do I think I should be able to get those 12:05/12:10 games that aren't on GN, other Fox regional games and the ability to watch all the Cubs - Brewers games (my 2nd favorite team BTW)? Yep.

In summary, I guess there's two things I don't think the folks making the BB contracts understand properly. If I can't watch the Cubs from 12 to 6 on a Saturday, I've got a million other entertainment options. I'll watch golf, horse racing, hockey, the NBA if it's the Heat, go golfing, go to watch a local high school or college game, go for a walk, mow the yard, etc. I won't watch BB from 12 to 6 on a Saturday unless it's the Cubs. I spend too much time watching BB on TV as it is, so I'm not going to watch a game I don't have a rooting interest in in that timeframe.

Also have to get the Brewers games that aren't on FSN Wisconsin but are on over-the-air TV in Milwaukee to be available to those that have EI in Wisconsin but are outside of the Milwaukee market.

Like I said, I know I'm killing the messenger. Off to Milwaukee for tonight's game. Thanks ...

So is that over the air feed not carried on DIRECTV?  Is it some low powered station or something?

And no, the Game Mix is not available on Saturdays.  MLB protects Fox's rights completely, including online and on game mix.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 09:28:55 PM »
Game mix will remain part of the MLB EI package, no extra cost.  Games in HD as well and we typically broadcast dual feeds (the only major provider to do so...home and away for most games, but not all).

I have Extra Innings on TW Cable.

This week, I spent a few days with family in the NY area, who have DTV. The difference is astounding...

My TWC Package: Just about every game, 1 or 2 dual feeds, if any, no HD (despite the fact that TWC advertises EI in HD on their website). Same price as DTV for MUCh less features.

DirecTV: We were able to get the home and away broadcast for almost every game, with a vast majority of them in HD. The game mix channel (and I got to take advantage of the Masters Mix as well on Thursday) was AMAZING.

Sadly, I live in a building that has a no-dish policy, and no southern exposure from any of my windows, so I think I'm stuck.

Chicos,I know you're getting peppered with questions, but here's one more. I know  from your website that the company has some kind of setup where a building can put up a single dish that would give anyone who lives there access to DTV. If I PM you my e-mail, you think you can shoot me a couple of "talking points" on this that I might be able to try and sway my landlords with! Thanks!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 12:38:17 AM »
I have Extra Innings on TW Cable.

This week, I spent a few days with family in the NY area, who have DTV. The difference is astounding...

My TWC Package: Just about every game, 1 or 2 dual feeds, if any, no HD (despite the fact that TWC advertises EI in HD on their website). Same price as DTV for MUCh less features.

DirecTV: We were able to get the home and away broadcast for almost every game, with a vast majority of them in HD. The game mix channel (and I got to take advantage of the Masters Mix as well on Thursday) was AMAZING.

Sadly, I live in a building that has a no-dish policy, and no southern exposure from any of my windows, so I think I'm stuck.

Chicos,I know you're getting peppered with questions, but here's one more. I know  from your website that the company has some kind of setup where a building can put up a single dish that would give anyone who lives there access to DTV. If I PM you my e-mail, you think you can shoot me a couple of "talking points" on this that I might be able to try and sway my landlords with! Thanks!

Sure, you can send it to me.   And thanks for the kind words....my team worked very hard on improving MLB Extra Innings for our customers by doing the dual feeds, etc.  Originally we thought we were going to have it exclusively until Senator Kerry got involved....grrrr.  So were trying to create the best baseball product out there.

As for the apartment building setup, it's not as easy as you would think because basically every unit has to be wired, etc.  There's some considerable capital expense but certainly many buildings have gone down that route.  A lot of it depends on what deal your current landlord has and whether he's willing to go away from that.

ringboy

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 07:53:32 PM »

Amen.... tonight is a perfect example.  Brewers on WMLW in Milwaukee..... so it's blacked out for me in La Crosse?  I am NOWHERE near that pea-shooter WMLW so I can't watch the Brewers?  Even though I just purchased Extra Innings?  Seems crazy,...  can't even get the Reds broadcast? 

Eye

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 09:09:21 PM »
So is that over the air feed not carried on DIRECTV?  Is it some low powered station or something?

And no, the Game Mix is not available on Saturdays.  MLB protects Fox's rights completely, including online and on game mix.

Thanks again for your help. Figured that was the case on Saturday's. Sounds like the best thing for baseball viewing on Saturday's would be for Fox to lose the BB contract.

Brewers were on WMLW Channel 41 I believe Saturday night (perhaps someone who knows Milwaukee TV better than me can confirm this). I'm fairly certain that's a low-powered station, a total-and-complete mom-and-pop-type independent, not even affiliated with something like the WB or UPN, so I'm guessing that station isn't a part of Milwaukee's locals on DirecTV? Just thinking out loud, but other than these Brewers games, there probably wouldn't be much reason at all for DirecTV to have it as part of the locals.

Not a huge deal for me personally, because it only costs me two Cubs games a year. But it's about 25 games a year that those outside of the Milwaukee area in the rest of the state can't watch.
GO WARRIORS!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 10:46:14 PM »
Amen.... tonight is a perfect example.  Brewers on WMLW in Milwaukee..... so it's blacked out for me in La Crosse?  I am NOWHERE near that pea-shooter WMLW so I can't watch the Brewers?  Even though I just purchased Extra Innings?  Seems crazy,...  can't even get the Reds broadcast? 

The Brewers claim your area as their territory, that's the reason why....though I would think in LaCrosse it would be very close to being a Twins territory.

We don't make the rules, MLB does...we just enforce the zip codes they send us.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »
Thanks again for your help. Figured that was the case on Saturday's. Sounds like the best thing for baseball viewing on Saturday's would be for Fox to lose the BB contract.

Brewers were on WMLW Channel 41 I believe Saturday night (perhaps someone who knows Milwaukee TV better than me can confirm this). I'm fairly certain that's a low-powered station, a total-and-complete mom-and-pop-type independent, not even affiliated with something like the WB or UPN, so I'm guessing that station isn't a part of Milwaukee's locals on DirecTV? Just thinking out loud, but other than these Brewers games, there probably wouldn't be much reason at all for DirecTV to have it as part of the locals.

Not a huge deal for me personally, because it only costs me two Cubs games a year. But it's about 25 games a year that those outside of the Milwaukee area in the rest of the state can't watch.

Correct, if it's a station that's running infomercials 95% of the time but has some local games content, we're very unlikely to sign them up for locals.  Uses precious bandwidth for something that customers don't want 95% of the time. 

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 02:23:25 PM »
I thought WMLW is a local on DirectTV?

Is the OP of his issue in Milwaukee, or outside of MKE but in the Brewers area? If that's the case, maybe they don't get WMLW as a local, and EI blacks it out since MKE is the local for games?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 06:02:57 PM »
I thought WMLW is a local on DirectTV?

Is the OP of his issue in Milwaukee, or outside of MKE but in the Brewers area? If that's the case, maybe they don't get WMLW as a local, and EI blacks it out since MKE is the local for games?

Yeah, it is...I just looked it up.  WMLW channel 41 is available on DIRECTV and the game would have been on there instead of MLB Extra Innings.  Or it should have been.

LOCAL CHANNELS DETAIL SCREEN

Primary Local Channels

Receiver: Any DIRECTV Receiver
Dish: Any Satellite Dish
Satellite Position: 101

Local
Channel
(multi-sat
receivers) Affiliate Network 3-Digit
Channel
(for older
receivers)
10 WMVS PBS  946
12 WISN ABC  947
18 WVTV CW  948
24 WCGV MNT  949
30 WVCY Ind  950
36 WMVT PBS  951
38 WBWT AZA  955
4 WTMJ NBC  944
41 WMLW Ind  954
49 WBME IND  953
55 ION ION  305
58 WDJT CBS  952
6 WITI FOX  945
60 WXFT TFT  971

Eye

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 08:19:58 AM »
Looks like the next time this comes up Chicos is the 28th against Pittsburgh. I'll try to remember to check and make sure the Brewers feed is available somewhere in La Crosse that evening ...
GO WARRIORS!

ringboy

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »
Well I could about guarantee that WMLW's feed won't be available in La Crosse.  Since they're an independent....is that possible?  If so, that would be SWEET,.. that would get me these 12 games I'm going to miss,...and even some Marquette games!  (I'm not holding my breath)

This sure is a flaw in the system though,... I mean I'm too far from Milwaukee to see this games,.... and not far enough away to see them with the MLB package I purchased.

Is there a way to get "waiver" or something from WMLW saying "yeah,...there's no way this guy can see our broadcast,... don't black him out."  Or don't black this zip?  (which btw is 54636) :)

Thanks!

-Brian

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 02:16:32 PM »
WMLW is owned by the local CBS affiliate in Milwaukee.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ringboy

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 06:45:24 AM »
Okay,...so I spoke with someone from WMLW....she "claims" the only reason the Brewers weren't on last week when there was a game on WMLW was because of the Bucks.  She "claims" that they'll be on FSN next Wed (4/28) so long as you're outside of WMLW coverage.  However,....the Brewers website only shows WMLW on the schedule.  *fingers crossed*  Anyone have a contact at FSN that could confirm?

Eye

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 09:18:03 PM »
Nice addition with the scoreguide while I'm thinking of it. That's nice not to have to change the channel to check other BB scores, along with NBA and NHL playoff scores (particularly nice with the Heat and Blackhawks in playoff games tonight).
GO WARRIORS!

ringboy

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 12:04:31 PM »
Alright,...I've got my fingers crossed for tonight,.... but here is another question about EI..... why isn't the Brewers game on EI tomorrow (4/29)?  The Brewers aren't carrying it on FSN or WMLW,..... but why wouldn't EI at least have the Pirates feed on?  They're going to carry it local in Pit?  Why not EI?

feedback