[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wayne Blackshear to UL  (Read 12203 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Wayne Blackshear to UL
« on: December 25, 2009, 10:15:39 PM »
Pitino "bags another one."

Louisville coach Rick Pitino received a major Christmas present Friday, as Morgan Park junior Wayne Blackshear gave the Cardinals an oral commitment.

“Coach Pitino’s reputation and Louisville’s style of play is what really did it for me,” Blackshear said. “I took two visits there and really felt comfortable.”

“There really wasn’t any special reason that I decided on Christmas. I just sat down and talked with my family and we decided Louisville was the best fit for us.”

Blackshear, the top-ranked player in the state's 2011 class and one of the top 15 players in the country, chose Louisville over a host of high-major programs, including DePaul, Illinois, Marquette, Tennessee, North Carolina, Southern Illinois, Nevada-Las Vegas, Kentucky, USC, Indiana and Michigan State.

Pitino was in attendance at Morgan Park’s game against Harlan  earlier this month.

"The perception for several months has been he is leaning towards Louisville," recruiting analyst Joe Henricksen said. "It's kind of an ideal fit for him as a player, because of what they allow their players to do. He's very comparable to Terrence Williams. He's a big 6-6 wing with great body and athleticism, they will really utilitize that."

Blackshear and club teammate Mike Shaw, a junior at De La Salle, said over the summer that they would be a "package deal" when it came to their recruitment.

“I’m not sure about that anymore,” Blackshear said. “Maybe. It’s still possible.”

Blackshear's tremendous start has the Mustangs off to a 10-1 record. His numbers have been impressive all season, including 39 points and 21 rebounds against Uplift, 26 points and 11 rebounds against Vocational, 42 points and 18 rebounds against East Aurora and 34 points and 10 rebounds against St. Rita.

"Wayne has made tremendous strides," Henricksen said. "He was lacking consistency before this season. He really took off this summer in Las Vegas. From that point on he has become such a highly-productive player. He's had a number of dominant performances in the season so far. He's improved his jumper and already had a college-ready body. He's put the whole package together."

http://yourseason.suntimes.com/1958967,122509-blackshear-louisville.article
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 10:50:05 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

warthog-driver

• All American
Re: Wayne Blackshear to UL
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 11:15:40 PM »

What, he had Christmas dinner at Porcini?

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 01:09:59 AM »
North Carolina did not offer...wishful thinking on his part...

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 08:39:59 AM »
That sucks.

Cannot stand Loserville and Slick Rick.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 08:54:39 AM »
Kid looks to be a strong prospect. Sucks to lose him. Sucks even more to lose him to Louisville.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 09:02:11 AM »
Coach Pitino’s reputation and Louisville’s style of play is what really did it for me,” Blackshear said.
http://yourseason.suntimes.com/1958967,122509-blackshear-louisville.article

Pitino may be a good coach but he's a sleaze bag in my book.  His reputation is about as stellar as the Tennessee hostesses.  I wouldn't allow my kid to play for him.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 10:18:33 AM »
Blackshear is a really good player, but he comes with a ton of baggage and a lot of handlers. Would have been a real good get for Marquette, but not without its risks. We are, after all, talking about a kid who transferred high schools mid-season at the behest of an AAU program.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 11:02:03 AM »
Blackshear is a really good player, but he comes with a ton of baggage and a lot of handlers. Would have been a real good get for Marquette, but not without its risks. We are, after all, talking about a kid who transferred high schools mid-season at the behest of an AAU program.

You write this as if our recruiting has been risk-averse the last two years. We're recruiting arguably a riskier prospect in Justin Coleman so it's not like Wayne Blackshear's baggage would scare us off.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 11:53:11 AM »
You write this as if our recruiting has been risk-averse the last two years. We're recruiting arguably a riskier prospect in Justin Coleman so it's not like Wayne Blackshear's baggage would scare us off.

I'd say few things seem to be scaring anyone off with our recruiting....let's just hope it works out 

10...9....8....7....THIS IS PROOF YOU HATE BUZZ...BLAH...BLAH...BLAH

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 12:02:47 PM »

Ummm ... no, I don't write it as if our receuiting has been risk-averse. I'm simply stating the situation w/Blackshear. Sorry that seems to bother you.
And obviously MU's recruiting didn't take risks before Buzz. Never mind James Matthews and Trevor Mbakwe and Carlton Christian and Niv Berkowitz and that Wade character and Alton Mason and ...

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 12:36:43 PM »
Ummm ... no, I don't write it as if our receuiting has been risk-averse. I'm simply stating the situation w/Blackshear. Sorry that seems to bother you.
And obviously MU's recruiting didn't take risks before Buzz. Never mind James Matthews and Trevor Mbakwe and Carlton Christian and Niv Berkowitz and that Wade character and Alton Mason and ...

I don't think you write as if our recruiting has been risk averse. 

However, it does sound like a sour-grapes response.

It is suspiciously like our friends to the west who always find some justification for every missed recruit ("Bo cooled on him" | not physical enough for the Big 10 | won't cut it academically at UW | etc.),

Let's face it, Blackshear is a guy we wanted and lost out on to a rival. Few here cited his "baggage" beforehand, and there is no need to sugarcoat it after the fact.  We lost/UL won.  Let's get the next one.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 12:45:50 PM »
I don't think you write as if our recruiting has been risk averse.  

However, it does sound like a sour-grapes response.

It is suspiciously like our friends to the west who always find some justification for every missed recruit ("Bo cooled on him" | not physical enough for the Big 10 | won't cut it academically at UW | etc.),

Let's face it, Blackshear is a guy we wanted and lost out on to a rival. Few here cited his "baggage" beforehand, and there is no need to sugarcoat it after the fact.  We lost/UL won.  Let's get the next one.

Actually, I wrote of the baggage every time his name came up here.
As for sour grapes, I'm pretty sure I said he "would have been a real good get." It least that's what it reads above. I didn't say anything about his parents. Or say he couldn't hack it at the "Harvard of Southeast Wisconsin." Or say Buzz cooled on him. Or say he wasn't a good fit for Buzz's offense. I said he would have been a real good get.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 12:48:53 PM by Pakuni »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 01:35:27 PM »
As for sour grapes, I'm pretty sure I said he "would have been a real good get." It least that's what it reads above. I didn't say anything about his parents. Or say he couldn't hack it at the "Harvard of Southeast Wisconsin." Or say Buzz cooled on him. Or say he wasn't a good fit for Buzz's offense. I said he would have been a real good get.

Strange attacks on Pakuni for a completely innocuous post.  Not sure if there is history here (prior to this thread) but his first post seems in the thread sums it up... Would have nice to get him, but he did have his risks (yes, just like some other players we have recruited and continue to recruit).

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 01:45:57 PM »

Didn't see you posting about his baggage here:
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=15508.0

Or here:
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=15422.0

To be fair, you did mention his baggage here:
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=15387.0

But you didn't say anything when he was brought up in this thread:
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=16126.0

And in this thread, you even mentioned Blackshear yourself without citing his baggage
Some fairly big-time recruits there:

Jelan Kendrick (#30 overall 2010 per Scout)
Dwight Powell (#39 overall 2010)
Wayne Blackshear (#8 overall 2011)
Mike Shaw (#10 overall 2011)
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=14890.0

Two more discussions including Blackshear where you didn't mention his baggage:
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=16857.0
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=15990.0

Can we agree that your claim to have brought up Blackshear's baggage ever time he was mentioned is at least a slight exaggeration?

Finally, I think bringing up a player's "baggage" the day a recruit signs with another program sounds like sour grapes, even if you did temper it by including that he's a good player.

Strange attacks on Pakuni for a completely innocuous post.  Not sure if there is history here (prior to this thread) but his first post seems in the thread sums it up... Would have nice to get him, but he did have his risks (yes, just like some other players we have recruited and continue to recruit).

I don't think its strange at all given the context of how UW fans talk about our recruits after they sign.

Bringing up his baggage now sounds like sour grapes, just like UW fans who bring up Blue's academics. 

Blackshear is a player we would have loved to have signed--baggage or not.  No need to pile on with the "He's a great player, but . . . "

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 02:17:18 PM »
First off MU84...Blackshear committed to UL, he didnt sign.

Second, anyone that knows anything about recruiting knows there was/is alot going on with WB's recruitment.  Nothing that Pakuni said in this thread is out of line.  You want to recruit at a high level, you have to be ready to deal with players and the garbage associated with it.  WB has his, as to many of the top players in the country.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 02:59:03 PM »

Didn't see you posting about his baggage here:
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=15508.0

Dude, you, like, totally busted me.
I'm pretty flattered that you would spend so much time digging through this site's archives to prove my exaggeration was an exaggeration.
Flattered ... and saddened.
For your own sake, perhaps there's something better to be done on a holiday weekend.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 03:03:50 PM »
Yeah, that was kind of weird.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 03:14:56 PM »
First off MU84...Blackshear committed to UL, he didnt sign.

Good catch--I stand corrected.

Second, anyone that knows anything about recruiting knows there was/is alot going on with WB's recruitment.  Nothing that Pakuni said in this thread is out of line.  You want to recruit at a high level, you have to be ready to deal with players and the garbage associated with it.  WB has his, as to many of the top players in the country.

Its not a matter of what he said, its a matter of when he said it.

I think it puts forth a sour-grapes attitude when you try to justify losing him because he had baggage.  As Pakuni himself pointed out, we've recruited plenty of players in the past that have had baggage--some have worked out well, some have not.  Everyone knows Blackshear had baggage, and everyone knows we were recruiting him.

So what's the point of bringing it up now, if not in an attempt to feel better about losing out on a great player?  

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 03:53:22 PM »
I'm pretty flattered that you would spend so much time digging through this site's archives to prove my exaggeration was an exaggeration.
For your own sake, perhaps there's something better to be done on a holiday weekend.

Dude--an exaggeration? Hardly!

An exaggeration would be if you had claimed you had never mentioned Blackshear's baggage, and I found the one time you did.

Let me help you out:

An exaggeration would be like saying that Tony Miller dished out an assist every time he passed the ball.  Of course he didn't have an assist every time he passed--but he DID have a lot of assists.

or how about this one:
Saying Al McGuire never lost as MU coach.  Well, the truth is that Al didn't win every game, but he did win a majority of them.

Put in that context, for you to say that you exaggerated on Blackshear a bit like saying Bob Dukiet won every game or Niv Berkowitz had an assist for every pass.  Misguided at best, a lie at worst.

You see, dude, an exaggeration needs to have some element of truth to it.

When you say you always mentioned Blackshear's baggage when in fact you almost never did, well, I call that a lie.

And the sad part is that I was actually trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.  If you truly did sound the alarm on Blackshear, I would offer you an apology for accusing you of a sour grapes post.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2009, 04:34:31 PM »
Sometimes the holiday spirit is overwhelming on Scoop

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2009, 05:16:31 PM »

LOL

And you've never gone to great lengths to try and prove someone wrong? 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2009, 07:37:30 PM »
Marquette84,

I think I speak for most on this board when I say:

Chill out

take the lump of coal out of your stocking and make a nice toasty fire with it

Cuddle up to something other than your computer

Have a nice new year!

GO MARQUETTE

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2009, 07:39:52 PM »

Chill out

Sometimes the holiday spirit is overwhelming on Scoop

Amen and amen. I'm starting to think no one on Scoop likes anyone else on Scoop!
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2009, 08:24:28 PM »
Marquette84,

Chill out

Have a nice new year!

GO MARQUETTE

I'm sorry--probably got a little too emotional on this one. 

This is a recruit I really wanted to see us land, and thought we had a good shot.  It just bugged me that a) a conference rival landed him and b) someone tried to wave it off with a reference to his "baggage" much like UW fans did with Blue and his "academics."

I'll try to let such comments go without response in the future.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 12:12:28 AM »
I'm sorry--probably got a little too emotional on this one. 

This is a recruit I really wanted to see us land, and thought we had a good shot.  It just bugged me that a) a conference rival landed him and b) someone tried to wave it off with a reference to his "baggage" much like UW fans did with Blue and his "academics."

I'll try to let such comments go without response in the future.

FWIW I completely agree man.

The signing was even on the "Bottom Line" on ESPN tonight.