[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129162 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #11225 on: September 02, 2021, 10:39:33 PM »
VERY INFORMATIVE POST ON ANTIBODIES AND ASSORTED CORONAVIRUSES

Thank you, that was awesome and very interesting.

Related question to the above story, is there any recourse for create hospital triage to move unvaccinated COVID patients to the back of the line?  Or some denial of care to them to not preclude others with serious conditions, who are vaccinated, from getting care?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #11226 on: September 02, 2021, 10:59:56 PM »

Related question to the above story, is there any recourse for create hospital triage to move unvaccinated COVID patients to the back of the line?  Or some denial of care to them to not preclude others with serious conditions, who are vaccinated, from getting care?

Thanks.

And regarding triage, this is just a guess, but I'd say no.

My personal opinion is that opens an ethical can of worms that I don't think people are ready to explore the consequences of that at this point.

Instead I think we will see more mandates or defacto-mandates in the near term. And at least amongst some of the young college age kids. We are now seeing that students who originally were anti-vax, change their tune when they see a friend either hospitalized, or out of school for a month because they got COVID at a party.

As you see more employers become less tolerant of employees missing work for extended periods, because they would't get vaccinated, we might see the same in other age demographics.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11227 on: September 03, 2021, 05:48:55 AM »

once again, i don't think we should be neglecting those who have had covid.  they've walked the walk, regardless of vaccination status
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11228 on: September 03, 2021, 05:56:42 AM »
once again, i don't think we should be neglecting those who have had covid.  they've walked the walk, regardless of vaccination status

Their health insurance rates should be far far higher for starters.

Or maybe we can send the unvaccinated covid patients to the dentists offices of America, so that the rest of the responsible population can get back to living a normal life... instead of the 'new normal' the unvaccinated have pushed upon the rest of us.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11229 on: September 03, 2021, 07:02:17 AM »

I had it pretty bad.   What are you proposing to do for me?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11230 on: September 03, 2021, 08:21:10 AM »
Idaho hospitals nearly buckling in relentless COVID surge

https://apnews.com/article/business-health-coronavirus-pandemic-idaho-09941b507483a5c7b0183dcbf03a8254?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Sep03_MorningWire&utm_term=Morning%20Wire%20Subscribers

With a critical shortage of hospital beds and staff and one of the nation’s lowest vaccination rates, Idaho health providers are growing desperate and preparing to follow crisis standards of care, which call for giving scarce resources to patients most likely to survive.

St. Luke’s Boise Medical Center invited The Associated Press into its restricted ICUs this week in hopes that sharing the dire reality would prompt people to change their behavior.

“There is so much loss here, and so much of it is preventable. I’m not just talking about loss of life. Ultimately, it’s like loss of hope,” said Dr. Jim Souza, chief medical officer. “When the vaccines came out in December, those of us in health care were like, ’Oh, my God, it’s like the cavalry coming over the hill. ... To see now what’s playing out? It’s all so needless.”

Inside the ICUs, Kristen Connelly and fellow nurses frequently gather to turn over each patient, careful to avoid disconnecting the tangle of tubes and wires keeping them alive. With breathing tubes, feeding tubes and half a dozen hanging bags of medications intended to halt a cascade of organ damage, turning a patient is a dangerous but necessary endeavor that happens twice a day.

When Idaho’s hospitals were nearly overwhelmed with coronavirus patients last winter, Connelly wasn’t fazed, believing she could make a difference. Now, instead of focusing on one patient at a time, she cares for multiple. Many colleagues have quit, burned out by the relentless demands of the pandemic.

“At this point, I’m overwhelmed. I don’t have much left,” the 26-year ICU nursing veteran said Tuesday.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11231 on: September 03, 2021, 08:30:05 AM »

I’ll entertain.  Vaccinations are a consistent dosage so they have an expected result and half-life. Antibodies from COVID infection are more varied and so someone saying “well I had COVID 3-4 months ago” means different things for different people.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11232 on: September 03, 2021, 09:59:06 AM »

Or maybe they could just get vaccinated like the CDC recommends.  There is nothing preventing them from doing so.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11233 on: September 03, 2021, 12:12:47 PM »

Or maybe they could just get vaccinated like the CDC recommends.  There is nothing preventing them from doing so.

yes of course, but "nothing" preventing them from doing so?  you don't know this

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11234 on: September 03, 2021, 12:19:23 PM »
I had it pretty bad.   What are you proposing to do for me?

thoughts and prayers ;)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11235 on: September 03, 2021, 12:27:23 PM »
Their health insurance rates should be far far higher for starters.

Or maybe we can send the unvaccinated covid patients to the dentists offices of America, so that the rest of the responsible population can get back to living a normal life... instead of the 'new normal' the unvaccinated have pushed upon the rest of us.

so if one had covid, they should pay higher insurance rates and be sent to dental offices? 

judging from your reactions and responses, i'm not so sure you will ever have a "normal life"  take care of yourself, get vaccinated if you want(which i'm sure you already have) and wear a mask.  wear a shield and 2 masks...whatever.  if that doesn't protect you, sorry, there is not much more. 

should one be denied medical care, tests etc due to their political or religious beliefs?  how about sexual orientation? 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11236 on: September 03, 2021, 12:35:49 PM »
Rough times for MU.

Our basketball program hasn't won an NCAA tourney game since 2013, and now the latest COVID-19 variant is named after us!

A coronavirus variant known as “mu” or “B.1.621” was designated by the World Health Organization as a “variant of interest” earlier this week and will be monitored by the global health body as cases continue to emerge across parts of the world. It is the fifth variant of interest currently being monitored by the WHO.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/09/03/mu-coronavirus-variant-explained/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F34928ed%2F613249af9d2fda9bb7af3001%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F27%2F74%2F613249af9d2fda9bb7af3001

FYI, the article has free access.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11237 on: September 03, 2021, 12:42:35 PM »
Rough times for MU.

Our basketball program hasn't won an NCAA tourney game since 2013, and now the latest COVID-19 variant is named after us!

A coronavirus variant known as “mu” or “B.1.621” was designated by the World Health Organization as a “variant of interest” earlier this week and will be monitored by the global health body as cases continue to emerge across parts of the world. It is the fifth variant of interest currently being monitored by the WHO.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/09/03/mu-coronavirus-variant-explained/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F34928ed%2F613249af9d2fda9bb7af3001%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F27%2F74%2F613249af9d2fda9bb7af3001

FYI, the article has free access.

Is it because this variant appears to be dangerous, but ends up being weaker than expected?
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11238 on: September 03, 2021, 01:00:03 PM »
so if one had covid, they should pay higher insurance rates and be sent to dental offices? 

judging from your reactions and responses, i'm not so sure you will ever have a "normal life"  take care of yourself, get vaccinated if you want(which i'm sure you already have) and wear a mask.  wear a shield and 2 masks...whatever.  if that doesn't protect you, sorry, there is not much more. 

should one be denied medical care, tests etc due to their political or religious beliefs?  how about sexual orientation?

But when does it end?  So they say "I shouldnt be vaccinated cause I had COVID and antibodies"...so they just wait to get COVID again and restart?  You may have a semblance of an argument in the near term, but if the vaccinated population is getting boosters or further vaccinations (like flu or any other repeated vaccination) whats the counter argument?  They dont want it "yet" but will have no issues when their antibodies run out?  Seems unlikely to me.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #11239 on: September 03, 2021, 01:09:14 PM »
Is it because this variant appears to be dangerous, but ends up being weaker than expected?
If this strain is not managed properly, similar DNA strands can leave the body and affect their new hosts with the same condition as their previous host.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #11240 on: September 03, 2021, 01:11:33 PM »
And ladies and gentlemen, today's winner of the internet! Congrats!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11241 on: September 03, 2021, 02:22:51 PM »

Do we have to worry about transfers?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11242 on: September 03, 2021, 02:59:28 PM »
"I have COVID-19."

"Oh yeah, which variant?"

"MU."

"Rah-Rah!"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11243 on: September 03, 2021, 03:00:44 PM »
"I have COVID-19."

"Oh yeah, which variant?"

"MU."

"Rah-Rah!"

Nice.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11244 on: September 03, 2021, 03:54:53 PM »
But when does it end?  So they say "I shouldnt be vaccinated cause I had COVID and antibodies"...so they just wait to get COVID again and restart?  You may have a semblance of an argument in the near term, but if the vaccinated population is getting boosters or further vaccinations (like flu or any other repeated vaccination) whats the counter argument?  They dont want it "yet" but will have no issues when their antibodies run out?  Seems unlikely to me.

there are some who cannot get vaccine due to underlying medical issues and concerns

some who are genuinely afraid

some "black helicopter" types,

some who just do not trust the "data"

forcing the vaccine on these does not alleviate their concerns and in some cases, makes it worse.  the numbers will eventually make these people irrelevant if the rest get vaccinated.  remember, the FDA does not have enough data for a booster(3rd) shot

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11245 on: September 03, 2021, 04:17:25 PM »
  there are some who cannot get vaccine due to underlying medical issues and concerns

some who are genuinely afraid

some "black helicopter" types,

some who just do not trust the "data"

forcing the vaccine on these does not alleviate their concerns and in some cases, makes it worse.  the numbers will eventually make these people irrelevant if the rest get vaccinated.  remember, the FDA does not have enough data for a booster(3rd) shot

The only ones I have genuine concern about are those with medical conditions. The rest just need to get it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11246 on: September 03, 2021, 06:32:35 PM »
Yes, underlying conditions is one thing.   Willful stupidity is a much bigger problem.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11247 on: September 03, 2021, 07:05:17 PM »
Amazing stat of the day:

Twice as many people died yesterday, September 2 than died last year on September 2 WHEN THERE WAS NO VACCINE!!

I have long been of the belief that Americans are the most willfully stupid people on Earth. Can anyone convince me otherwise? Evidence?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11248 on: September 03, 2021, 07:08:17 PM »
The only ones I have genuine concern about are those with medical conditions. The rest just need to get it.

if you think/expect essentially 100% get the vaccine, you are being totally unrealistic.  we don't get 100% of anything even if we were giving out cars or anything else of worthwhile value

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11249 on: September 03, 2021, 07:13:15 PM »
if you think/expect essentially 100% get the vaccine, you are being totally unrealistic.  we don't get 100% of anything even if we were giving out cars or anything else of worthwhile value

Well, the average rate for measles/mumps/rubella vaccine for the 2018-2019 school year was 94.7% ... so I'd accept that.

feedback