[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8550870 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #20475 on: September 17, 2019, 10:20:12 PM »
2....I will take the 14% chance, because to me it's simple...as I said earlier about it's like an investment..If i take the 14% Garcia, and the 0% Osa, I will be betting on, the bigger prize coming my way...and even if I'm wrong, well, I am also betting on being able to recoup what I lost on the sure thing(Osa) by being able to find an investment just as good or better at some point down the line. And...let's for argument's sake say that as of now the 14% you list are the ACTUAL odds you have of getting Garcia(and that is just based on math by narrowing it to 7), but what if that's how he is actually handicapping it that way.."Mu has about a 14% chance of landing me now". What if those odds were 90%+ BEFORE the Osa commit, then what??

Disagree.  You have a high quality kid that definitely wants to come and be here for multiple years, or a slightly higher quality kid that still hasn’t made a decision and perhaps only here 2 or 3 years....bird in hand.  Maybe we get both.  Cannot wait forever.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20476 on: September 17, 2019, 10:21:41 PM »
Do you live alone?  Just curious.

This is absolutely the best/worst analogy ever.  It also demonstrates exactly why you're wrong.

Pakuni and others say HOLD MY BEER.....there were some worse ones done yesterday involving the ncaa, Walmart, Catholic Church.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20477 on: September 17, 2019, 10:22:16 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, I present Exhibit A.

Yes, exhibit A...every time you look in the mirror every day, you see someone who's wrong..are you this arrogant in real life?? How does your wife tolerate that?? I feel bad for her if you're like that.

It's okay to admit I'm right Brew...because I am. You can spin it any way you want, but my analogies have been DEAD on, and I answered your question, so now respect the process and answer mine, even though I know you will answer opposite of what I think because well..Brew is never wrong. and that would be admitting I'm right. But...humor me.  :)
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #20478 on: September 17, 2019, 10:26:53 PM »

Oh I 100% get it it's everyone else that doesn't. What would happen if sometime later on it came out that Garcia didn't come to MU because of the other bigs that they brought in. Not because he felt like he wasn't better then them but because MU told him he was their priority and by HIS thinking, taking other commits from bigs(even though different types of players), he didn't feel like a priority anymore. I promise you if this scenario played out, MANY would all of a sudden reverse course and agree that maybe MU should have waited. Funny how that works, huh??

Visual approximation of Guru trying dig himself out of this inane argument:

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20479 on: September 17, 2019, 10:30:57 PM »
Disagree.  You have a high quality kid that definitely wants to come and be here for multiple years, or a slightly higher quality kid that still hasn’t made a decision and perhaps only here 2 or 3 years....bird in hand.  Maybe we get both.  Cannot wait forever.

You have $5000 to invest...Now you can put it in some stocks that are sure things that will get you a return of say 5% in a year...that's guaranteed. However, if you put it in some higher risk stocks, you have a chance of double, or tripling or more that same investment if you wait a little longer. Now the risk is, you could also lose your initial $5000 investment if you wait to long. However, if you're a smart investor, you also know that over time, you will make up that $5000 again. I don't know about you, but I'm investing in the higher risk stocks at a chance to make much more money. Seems ot be the logical choice. Scared money don't make money.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20480 on: September 17, 2019, 10:31:21 PM »
Yes, exhibit A...every time you look in the mirror every day, you see someone who's wrong..are you this arrogant in real life?? How does your wife tolerate that?? I feel bad for her if you're like that.

It's okay to admit I'm right Brew...because I am. You can spin it any way you want, but my analogies have been DEAD on, and I answered your question, so now respect the process and answer mine, even though I know you will answer opposite of what I think because well..Brew is never wrong. and that would be admitting I'm right. But...humor me.  :)

You are literally saying you would rather have an 85.7% chance of neither Ighodaro nor Dawson than a guarantee of getting one and possibly both. You get an A for irony and F for self-awareness.

And my wife tolerates me fine because she isn't an obstinate moron who tries to defend indefensible positions.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20481 on: September 17, 2019, 10:32:46 PM »

Visual approximation of Guru trying dig himself out of this inane argument:

The only holes there are to dig out of are the one's everyone else has dug themselves trying to prove themselves right...take you for example, this is the only response you have, that says a lot..Sucks being wrong, I know, but it's part of life. We all are sometimes. vander.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20482 on: September 17, 2019, 10:35:32 PM »
The only holes there are to dig out of are the one's everyone else has dug themselves trying to prove themselves right...take you for example, this is the only response you have, that says a lot..Sucks being wrong, I know, but it's part of life. We all are sometimes. vander.

Take a break from your gravedigging duties to make sure they spelled the name on your headstone correctly.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #20483 on: September 17, 2019, 10:43:14 PM »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20484 on: September 17, 2019, 10:44:50 PM »
You are literally saying you would rather have an 85.7% chance of neither Ighodaro nor Dawson than a guarantee of getting one and possibly both. You get an A for irony and F for self-awareness.

And my wife tolerates me fine because she isn't an obstinate moron who tries to defend indefensible positions.

She's definitely a saint, as this sentence completely  points out your complete and total arrogance.  You aren't reading what I said(which is typical, because the message is right)...what I said was...IF not taking Ighadaro means my chances improve of getting Garcia, I'm doing that every single time because I will take my chances on losing Ighadaro knowing I can likely land someone as equal to or better then he may turn out to be. So now, I have Garcia in fold AND another yet to be determined recruit/transfer that will prove to be just as good or better than Ighadaro may be. Tell me exactly what I lost out on?? I will help you...absolutely NOTHING. Other then the small chance I can't replace Ighadaro with someone better. Garcia I almost certainly wouldn't be able to.

That's not a slight at all on him. I have stated many times, I like the get, and i like him. Obviously, If Garcia comes too, that's the cherry on top of everything. It's still possible, no question about it, but IF taking Ighadaro in any way lessens my chances with Garcia, I'm not taking Ighadaro. Because again, I'm betting on being able to land another Ighadaro somewhere down the road. I think that's more then reasonable to expect. Obviously none of us know for sure, but if anyone thinks that right now Ighadaro is a better player than Garcia, well they just haven't been paying attention. I hope no one thinks that.

It's a different approach for everyone. You(and many others) would rather take the sure thing even if it means chasing Garcia away(which we don;t know that it will). Fair enough. I personally, would rather not risk that. I don't see why that's a horrible approach either.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20485 on: September 17, 2019, 10:47:43 PM »
Take a break from your gravedigging duties to make sure they spelled the name on your headstone correctly.

Okay Brew, keep showing your pompousness and arrogance, it suits you. If you don't think you are...you would be wrong. Everything you post is typically with a hint of arrogance in it. Brew is NEVER wrong. I sometimes wonder if you and Sultan are the same guy, you certainly bot hhave the same arrogance about you, and neither admits when they are wrong.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20486 on: September 17, 2019, 10:49:02 PM »
My last 10 minutes:

1. See the recruiting thread has gained 5 new pages since I was on earlier today
2. Get excited hoping for news
3. Click "New"
4. First new post is Guru complaining that Osa might chase Garcia away
5. Skip to the end cause I know where this train is heading

So, any recruiting news? Dawson's top 7, that's cool.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #20487 on: September 17, 2019, 10:52:31 PM »
My God people.  Learn to suffer fools.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #20488 on: September 17, 2019, 10:52:41 PM »

GIFs that capture your inane ramblings here are the only response you deserve at this point.

You might want to see a mental health professional. Or take a logic class.

Get some rest!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20489 on: September 17, 2019, 11:01:01 PM »
Why people are acknowledging a silly non-MU guy/girl on here is beyond me. Worry about what matters.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20490 on: September 17, 2019, 11:02:11 PM »
GIFs that capture your inane ramblings here are the only response you deserve at this point.

You might want to see a mental health professional. Or take a logic class.

Get some rest!

Thanks for the sage advice Vander! My mental health is just fine though(as is my logic), but I appreciate your concern about my well being!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20491 on: September 17, 2019, 11:07:16 PM »
My last 10 minutes:

1. See the recruiting thread has gained 5 new pages since I was on earlier today
2. Get excited hoping for news
3. Click "New"
4. First new post is Guru complaining that Osa might chase Garcia away
5. Skip to the end cause I know where this train is heading

So, any recruiting news? Dawson's top 7, that's cool.

So where do you really see the problem as being TAMU? Me posting a thought/opinion on a recruiting matter or people feeling the need to immediately attack that thought/opinion? Had they just read my post and not responded to it..or..responded to it in a rational, reasonable way, without attacking me..would this threads last number of pages been unreadable? Absolutely not..but..here we are unfortunately.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20492 on: September 17, 2019, 11:39:37 PM »
So where do you really see the problem as being TAMU? Me posting a thought/opinion on a recruiting matter or people feeling the need to immediately attack that thought/opinion? Had they just read my post and not responded to it..or..responded to it in a rational, reasonable way, without attacking me..would this threads last number of pages been unreadable? Absolutely not..but..here we are unfortunately.
Guru:
I enjoy all your posts , even when I disagree with the content of your posts.  Disregard the haters and keep up the good work and volume.

For the record, I believe the Osa commitment actually helps our chances  to land Garcia.  My sources say the two young men actually have a good relationship and the concept of them being future teammates is a positive.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20493 on: September 18, 2019, 12:00:54 AM »
You have $5000 to invest...Now you can put it in some stocks that are sure things that will get you a return of say 5% in a year...that's guaranteed. However, if you put it in some higher risk stocks, you have a chance of double, or tripling or more that same investment if you wait a little longer. Now the risk is, you could also lose your initial $5000 investment if you wait to long. However, if you're a smart investor, you also know that over time, you will make up that $5000 again. I don't know about you, but I'm investing in the higher risk stocks at a chance to make much more money. Seems ot be the logical choice. Scared money don't make money.

I don’t see any resemblance to your analogy and the topic at hand.

A lot of that going around the last 24 hours.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20494 on: September 18, 2019, 12:31:12 AM »
So where do you really see the problem as being TAMU?.

I think the problem is here

or..responded to it in a rational, reasonable way, without attacking me..

The first 6 or 7 posts responding to you were all very reasonable in my opinion. Maybe 82 saying your point was silly was a bit of an attack, but it was an attack on your argument, not you. You seemed to be the one to escalate by telling everyone that they don't know how recruiting works and you do. From there the argument escalated into the pissing match that it did.

The problem is, if someone disagrees with you, it's not an attack on you....but you seem to take it as one. So when people disagree with you, take your advice, respond in a rational reasonable way, without attacking them.

Feel free to have the last word. I'm ducking out and back to recruiting news.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #20495 on: September 18, 2019, 12:44:11 AM »
2....I will take the 14% chance, because to me it's simple...as I said earlier about it's like an investment..If i take the 14% Garcia, and the 0% Osa, I will be betting on, the bigger prize coming my way...and even if I'm wrong, well, I am also betting on being able to recoup what I lost on the sure thing(Osa) by being able to find an investment just as good or better at some point down the line. And...let's for argument's sake say that as of now the 14% you list are the ACTUAL odds you have of getting Garcia(and that is just based on math by narrowing it to 7), but what if that's how he is actually handicapping it that way.."Mu has about a 14% chance of landing me now". What if those odds were 90%+ BEFORE the Osa commit, then what??

Guru, I have to say I agree with everyone else on this one.  You keep throwing out really irrelevant analogies and wild "what if scenarios" that have no basis.  I don't mind your differing opinions but I very much disagree with this one.  Nothing personal, just disagreeing.

By any rationale logic, when you have 4 open scholarships and a top 75 player wants to commit, you take that commit 100% of the time.  We don't need to explore scenarios where what if we only had 1 open.  We didn't.  We had 4.  End of story.  Full stop.

There is zero reason this should impact Garcia's decision negatively (in fact it could improve chances).  I agree with TAMU that I was excited when I saw 5 new pages of recruiting updates but alas it's just this topic beaten to death.  Can we move on?  I have appreciated this thread being back on track lately for the most part.

Looking forward to the next Hoggard, Davis, Garcia, Key, JFB, etc. updates.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #20496 on: September 18, 2019, 12:45:10 AM »
Hahaha, Herman coming to Guru's rescue! I've seen it all. Excuse me while I go bang my head against a wall...  #2peasINaDUMBASSpod

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #20497 on: September 18, 2019, 02:54:27 AM »
Now that everyone is sleeping off whatever the hell the last 3 to 4 pages of this post was about we can get back to ACTUAL recruiting.

Anyone hear any details on how the Hoggard visit went/is going?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #20498 on: September 18, 2019, 03:18:57 AM »

“You have $5000 to invest...Now you can put it in some stocks that are sure things that will get you a return of say 5% in a year...that's guaranteed. “
You really are nuts
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20499 on: September 18, 2019, 05:31:14 AM »
Now that everyone is sleeping off whatever the hell the last 3 to 4 pages of this post was about we can get back to ACTUAL recruiting.

Anyone hear any details on how the Hoggard visit went/is going?

I will say this...when it comes to recruiting, visits etc. Wojo and staff are incredibly tight lipped. We almost never get any info on how visits went, unless it's something from the national guys. With Buzz and Crean, it wasn't like you could get every last detail of recruiting news but 99.9% of the time SOMEONE knew something pretty much every step of the way..Not so with Wojo. That's not a bad thing, but as fans that follow recruiting it can get a bit frustrating I'd say.