[Today at 01:18:15 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:56:05 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UW-Shorewood East to build an on-campus arena  (Read 12774 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
Re: UW-Shorewood East to build an on-campus arena
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »
How full is the crotch-ski when they play?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 04:07:31 PM »
"Also, if done correctly, the men’s basketball program could become a huge revenue producer and the face of the university like such schools as Gonzaga, UCLA, Xavier, and Michigan State. The term “mid-major” could become obsolete when referring to the Milwaukee Athletics program."

I find this funny.  I really hope they're right because I'd like for UW@Milwaukee to eclipse UW@Madison, but unless this stadium gets them out of the Horizon League they'll be stuck with the Mid Major label.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 04:14:21 PM »
How full is the crotch-ski when they play?

They moved to the MECCA full time a few years ago....so I'm guessing the Klostche Center is pretty empty when they're playing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 04:19:40 PM »
"Also, if done correctly, the men’s basketball program could become a huge revenue producer and the face of the university like such schools as Gonzaga, UCLA, Xavier, and Michigan State. The term “mid-major” could become obsolete when referring to the Milwaukee Athletics program."

Pet peeve time...  This is a typical example of why student journalism is a problem - I see this working on a college campus all of the time.  That statement above is full of opinion.  I mean, it would be a great quote for the author to attribute to someone like the athletic director or the head of the student government, but that shouldn't be part of the author's story.  (This isn't a commentary piece either.)

Some more examples:  

"Most likely the arena would seat 6,000-8,000 fans and come with amenities that would draw a nice chunk of the university’s 100,000 plus alumni to the campus..."  (How does the author know they "would?"  You could say "that officials believe would..."  That's reporting.  He's inserting his opinion.  And what's up with the phrase "chunk?")

"The arena is moving forward pending a show of support from students. It is expected that the vote will pass with flying colors, as a move on campus would cut the astronomical cost of leasing the U.S. Cellular Arena for men’s basketball and commencement."  (Again, full of opinion.  "Astronomical" relative to what?  And the phrase "flying colors?")

I think Jimmy needs a little work on his reporting skills.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 04:26:06 PM »
I find this funny.  I really hope they're right because I'd like for UW@Milwaukee to eclipse UW@Madison, but unless this stadium gets them out of the Horizon League they'll be stuck with the Mid Major label.

Well, that will never happen.  But why would you want UWM to eclipse Madison?  I like that both Madison and MU are good at the same time.  It makes the rivalry better.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 04:26:30 PM »

Pet peeve time...  This is a typical example of why student journalism is a problem - I see this working on a college campus all of the time.  That statement above is full of opinion.  I mean, it would be a great quote for the author to attribute to someone like the athletic director or the head of the student government, but that shouldn't be part of the author's story.  (This isn't a commentary piece either.)

Some more examples:  

"Most likely the arena would seat 6,000-8,000 fans and come with amenities that would draw a nice chunk of the university’s 100,000 plus alumni to the campus..."  (How does the author know they "would?"  You could say "that officials believe would..."  That's reporting.  He's inserting his opinion.  And what's up with the phrase "chunk?")

"The arena is moving forward pending a show of support from students. It is expected that the vote will pass with flying colors, as a move on campus would cut the astronomical cost of leasing the U.S. Cellular Arena for men’s basketball and commencement."  (Again, full of opinion.  "Astronomical" relative to what?  And the phrase "flying colors?")

I think Jimmy needs a little work on his reporting skills.

I agree, sounded like a PR piece.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 04:26:38 PM »
Article from Jsonline, not a student writer:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/business/84408692.html

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 04:28:37 PM »

Well, that will never happen.  But why would you want UWM to eclipse Madison?  I like that both Madison and MU are good at the same time.  It makes the rivalry better.

This is such a backwards way of thinking. Its like when people talk about MU/DePaul.

You dont want DePaul/UW to be good "for the sake of the rivalry."  The better these teams are, the more you have to battle in recruiting and the more you have to battle for exposure.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 04:28:51 PM »
Should the plans go through, UWM will be planning to build on the current Kenwood campus and not around other university facilities. The two most prominent places also have varying costs. The current Klotsche Center footprint could be the home of the men’s basketball team. In that scenario, the Klotsche Center would be expanded west to accommodate concessions, concourses, visiting locker rooms and bathrooms that are needed to pass fire codes, not just seating.

The other footprint is a special one. The university’s plans to purchase the Colombia Hospital could include demolition of some of the west side of the hospital facilities to accommodate a basketball arena. That arena would be built from the ground up and cost a lot more money than a simple renovation for the Klotsche Center. The advantages to building a new arena on the Colombia grounds are exponential. With plans for 1,200 beds, the new dorms would probably connect to the arena, giving students an easy path into a large student section. Also, if done correctly, the men’s basketball program could become a huge revenue producer and the face of the university like such schools as Gonzaga, UCLA, Xavier, and Michigan State. The term “mid-major” could become obsolete when referring to the Milwaukee Athletics program.

I wonder what is meant by that. Do they mean literally connect or just that it is across the street. How awesome would it be to have a hall lead from a dorm to a student section. That would be absolutely crazy and a little genuis.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 04:37:08 PM »
I actually went to a UWM game at the US Cellular this year.  Large portions of the seats are covered, one of the end zones is used as an in-game lounge.  There were about 12-15 students there.  On a Friday night, there was about 2,000 people there overall. It was a depressing sight.   Quite honestly, the Klotsche was a perfectly fine venue for UWM to play in.  They were at about 70% capacity for big games and it was a nice, comfortable facility.  Adding a few seats and going back to the Klotsche would make the most sense.  I just don't see why they would want to play in an old, empty arena miles from campus.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 04:42:07 PM »
How long does MU's contract go with UWM? Any chance an away game would be played there?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 04:51:05 PM »
Well, that will never happen.  But why would you want UWM to eclipse Madison?  I like that both Madison and MU are good at the same time.  It makes the rivalry better.

It's my own little pipe dream that MU & UW@Milwaukee become similar to Duke & UNC-Chapel HIll.  I suppose that UW@Madison could be NC State, but they're a little too far away... so in my pipe dream they're UNC-Greensboro :)

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 04:54:26 PM »
Considering how much stink has arisen from the East Side NIMBYs every time UWM has attempted some sort of campus expansion, I can't imagine them being too thrilled about the possibility of having a 6-8K arena somewhere in the neighborhood.  And I really can't see them knocking down the old Columbia St. Mary's hospital to do it either.

They're about as land locked as DePaul is; however, I'd put my money on DePaul getting a campus arena done before UWM ever does.
The General has taken on a new command.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 04:58:03 PM »
Odd idea.
Arenas (not Gilbert) generally are awash in red ink because they're hard to fill on non-sports dates. What would UWM do with a 6,000-seat arena on the 345+ nights a year the basketball team isn't playing? Would they be able to sell revenue-producing sponsorships and luxury boxes for UWM events? Would concerts, trade shows, conventions, etc. go out to the east side rather than downtown?
I'm not an expert on Milwaukee venues, but is there really a need for another mid-size facility?

The whole idea seems like a good way to lose a lot of money. Then again, as a taxpayer-funded entity, maybe they don't care if their arena loses hundreds of thousands, if not more, annually.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 05:00:57 PM »
Considering how much stink has arisen from the East Side NIMBYs every time UWM has attempted some sort of campus expansion, I can't imagine them being too thrilled about the possibility of having a 6-8K arena somewhere in the neighborhood.  And I really can't see them knocking down the old Columbia St. Mary's hospital to do it either.

They're about as land locked as DePaul is; however, I'd put my money on DePaul getting a campus arena done before UWM ever does.

Ding. No way is this going to happen. The people who live around there are already pissed about how the school is transitioning from a large commuter school to one with on campus kids. This would be a parking nightmare. Not going to happen.
But I like to throw handfuls...

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 05:02:37 PM »
Odd idea.
Arenas (not Gilbert) generally are awash in red ink because they're hard to fill on non-sports dates. What would UWM do with a 6,000-seat arena on the 345+ nights a year the basketball team isn't playing? Would they be able to sell revenue-producing sponsorships and luxury boxes for UWM events? Would concerts, trade shows, conventions, etc. go out to the east side rather than downtown?
The article stated concerts. One problem with the AL is I heard Crean would never allow concerts in it. No idea if Buzz has the same feeling. It would be great for student life if they had Rave quality band perform there.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 05:14:17 PM »
The article stated concerts. One problem with the AL is I heard Crean would never allow concerts in it. No idea if Buzz has the same feeling. It would be great for student life if they had Rave quality band perform there.

Partly true.  A lot of the issues with the lack of concerts there, though, has to do with more to do with the lack of student gov't budget for significant acts and the poor acoustics in the building than anything else.  When you're trying to book against the Rave, Pabst, Riverside, etc., it's not an easy building to sell.
The General has taken on a new command.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 05:40:11 PM »
Partly true.  A lot of the issues with the lack of concerts there, though, has to do with more to do with the lack of student gov't budget for significant acts and the poor acoustics in the building than anything else.  When you're trying to book against the Rave, Pabst, Riverside, etc., it's not an easy building to sell.
Yeah, I wasn't saying a ton of concerts, but once a semester when we have taleb Klahid (sp?) amd Jack's Mannequin playing there instead of sold-out varsity.

boyonthedock

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 05:54:11 PM »
Talib Kweli

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 06:48:41 PM »
The whole idea seems like a good way to lose a lot of money. Then again, as a taxpayer-funded entity, maybe they don't care if their arena loses hundreds of thousands, if not more, annually.

As proven by the taxpayers who recently bailed out private business to the tune of how much....

I'm not sure UWM isn't on to something here.  While it would benefit their sports teams, it would also create a venue in an area of Milwaukee that is difficult to find anything comparible.  If they can get it through, I think it's a great thing for their university.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 07:13:25 PM »
Odd idea.
I'm not an expert on Milwaukee venues, but is there really a need for another mid-size facility?

Agreed.  Also something those who were talking about us building an on-campus arena and the parking that it requires seem to overlook.  In its current state, UWM can't even fill this thing during the ~18 times it has a basketball game, unless they're playing us or Madison.  They've got a different location and a different population, but it's still going to take a ton of effort to get concerts over the Rave or Pabst, or size down the big acts the BC draws.  What other options do they have that bring in more money than it costs to keep the lights on, much less cover some of the costs of building the thing?

Also why I'm not so sure the Al would be able to host concerts...what kind of act will they be able to get that they can pay more money than the Rave while making enough money for the school to make it worthwhile?  We're talking about bringing in money, not MUSG giving the students something to see.  UWM's only advantages for their plan don't apply to us, as MU students can already walk to the Rave.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 07:42:27 PM »
It's my own little pipe dream that MU & UW@Milwaukee become similar to Duke & UNC-Chapel HIll.  I suppose that UW@Madison could be NC State, but they're a little too far away... so in my pipe dream they're UNC-Greensboro :)

Ya that's pretty much a crack pipe dream... for either of the schools to make it to that level.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 07:44:57 PM »
does bbfran get the building named after him?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 07:58:30 PM »
This is such a backwards way of thinking. Its like when people talk about MU/DePaul.

You dont want DePaul/UW to be good "for the sake of the rivalry."  The better these teams are, the more you have to battle in recruiting and the more you have to battle for exposure.

Actually, I think yours is the backwards way of thinking.  Neither Wisconsin nor MU is going to get anywhere with primarily Wisconsin prospects, and we rarely recruit head to head against them elsewhere.  I think having a good rivalry with UW is good for the fans.  It's fun.

And yes, I do want DePaul to be good too.

feedback