[Today at 01:18:15 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:56:05 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Notre Dame near the top 25  (Read 3336 times)

Windyplayer

• All American
Notre Dame near the top 25
« on: February 15, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »
I shamefully scan the polls when they come out every Monday just before noon CST, and was appalled to see Notre Dame receiving nine votes in the ESPN/USA Today poll. Last week they received six votes. They earned those three extra votes by losing to Seton Hall, and to St. Johns (at home!). It may have something to do with ND being on ESPN 2 for their next two games. Just a hunch. I realize that this frustration may stem from the fact that Marquette is not even receiving votes in that poll, but nonetheless it's worth noting.

Maybe this is a sign to back off the polls considering the complete lack of logic in this instance.     

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
Re: Notre Dame near the top 25
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 01:06:40 PM »
looks like we would have to lose to gain any votes...In that case we won't be receiving any soon

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:07:28 PM »

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 01:08:29 PM »
Thank goodness the selection committee makes such a public point of ignoring the polls.  I don't see how ND is still getting votes after their upcoming schedule, but if they do after that point they will have earned it.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 01:18:35 PM »
Xavier also is destroying MU in bracketology with a 7 seed.  They have a better RPI and SOS, but come on... we beat them by 10!

The only thing left to do is pound the daylights out of ND in the last game.  I dont think they can keep up with MU.  I am actually more confident about beating ND than Pitt, Louisville, Cincy, or SHU. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 01:36:05 PM »
The Coaches Poll is A JOKE.

First off, most of these ballots are being filled out by graduate assistants.  Do you think a head coach has time for piddly crap like this?

Second, if a coach is filling out the ballot, do you think he has time to watch the 10-20 games (other than his own) per week and hours of highlights needed to determine which 25 teams are most deserving?

Third, if a coach is putting in the necessary "research" to fill out his ballot, then he obviously doesn't have his priorities straight and shouldn't be trusted.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jtsanto

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 01:38:37 PM »
There was an article on ESPN about how the committee actually does look at the rankings which I thought was weird. They also said they look at a third one that has 31 coaches ranking teams in their region. I would love to see that because we would have to be in the top 15 of that poll.

While I am nervous for this game on Thursday I am a little more confident knowing Buzz in on the bench. If it were someone else then that would not be the case. I think that Buzz does an amazing job of getting the boys ready for every game. With all of this talk about the tournament I say bring it on!!! Buzz will have them ready because he is tireless in the film room which leads to better play on the court. We might be overmatched in a game but I doubt that we will ever be under prepared for a game. Four days to get ready for this game seems like bad news for Pitt!!!

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 07:27:40 PM »
Xavier also is destroying MU in bracketology with a 7 seed.  They have a better RPI and SOS, but come on... we beat them by 10!

The only thing left to do is pound the daylights out of ND in the last game.  I dont think they can keep up with MU.  I am actually more confident about beating ND than Pitt, Louisville, Cincy, or SHU. 

And we lost to DePaul. X has a better RPI and SOS, end of story.

scowwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 07:32:49 PM »
The Coaches Poll is A JOKE.

First off, most of these ballots are being filled out by graduate assistants.  Do you think a head coach has time for piddly crap like this?

Second, if a coach is filling out the ballot, do you think he has time to watch the 10-20 games (other than his own) per week and hours of highlights needed to determine which 25 teams are most deserving?

Third, if a coach is putting in the necessary "research" to fill out his ballot, then he obviously doesn't have his priorities straight and shouldn't be trusted.

Buzz has admitted he watches almost every Big East game and every other game in D1 that is close with under 4 minutes to play.  I would say that he, as head coach, has both his priorities straight and enough knowledge to fill out a ballot.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 08:09:38 PM »
It's the same reason ND is ranked in football every year and then drops, and drops, and drops.  It's one of those schools either you love or you hate and, unfortunately, they have fans all across the country.  Sadly, I think there are some politics involved here.  Either way, it is complete bullcrap...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 08:14:06 PM »
Looking forward to putting a beating on the in March.