[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Committing Early/Wilson's Decision  (Read 2003 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Committing Early/Wilson's Decision
« on: May 27, 2008, 05:12:02 PM »
Does the recruiting process seem to have shifted to early commits?  Something like 40 of the top 100 for 2009 have already committed.  Is this a record? 

This makes the late spring/early summer as important ans the November signing period.

Also, this makes Jamil Wilson's decision to wait until March 09 interesting.  Unless Wilson comes on with a McDonald's AA senior season (which is possible), he risks schools using up all their spots before he commits.  It is just too risky to have him pick another school and be "stuck" with an open scholarship - especially if you pass on another top 100 guy to hold the spot open for Wilson. 

So, given all the early signees, what does Wilson think he gains by waiting?  The only answer I can come up with is he wants to commit to MU but wants to see their new head coach Buzz perform.  Otherwise, if you really like MSU and they have offered, take it now!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Committing Early/Wilson's Decision
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 05:19:30 PM »
No way is he risking offers.

They'll just use the "Tom Crean method": dismiss a player and "POOF!" you have another scholly to offer!
SS Marquette

bma725

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 05:28:27 PM »
So, given all the early signees, what does Wilson think he gains by waiting?  The only answer I can come up with is he wants to commit to MU but wants to see their new head coach Buzz perform.  Otherwise, if you really like MSU and they have offered, take it now!

It's not a question of gaining anything.  It is a question of doing what he wants to and honoring his late mother's memory.  He's always planned on a late announcement, before he was saying that it would be at his senior banquet.  But in Feb/March of this year he changed that to honor his mother.  It has nothing to do with wanting to see how Buzz turns out, he was planning it before the coaching change.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 07:25:25 PM »
It's not a question of gaining anything.  It is a question of doing what he wants to and honoring his late mother's memory.  He's always planned on a late announcement, before he was saying that it would be at his senior banquet.  But in Feb/March of this year he changed that to honor his mother.  It has nothing to do with wanting to see how Buzz turns out, he was planning it before the coaching change.

I can understand honoring his late mother and if that's how he wants to do it, that's fine.  I was thinking their was a "strategery" in waiting and that does not appear to be the case.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 07:42:31 PM »
I think part of it may be wanting to see if the coach is going to stay, which was probalbly a concern about Crean. I do think by waiting he lessens his options. I do not think teams like UCLA, Kansas, etc. are going to hold scholarships open for him, since players like him are a dime a dozen to their programs. I do not think MU should hold a scholarship open for him either assuming they can get a quality player besides him to commit.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:36:24 PM »
I think part of it may be wanting to see if the coach is going to stay, which was probalbly a concern about Crean. I do think by waiting he lessens his options. I do not think teams like UCLA, Kansas, etc. are going to hold scholarships open for him, since players like him are a dime a dozen to their programs. I do not think MU should hold a scholarship open for him either assuming they can get a quality player besides him to commit.

If the coaching situation was a factor, March 9th is way too soon.  The coaching carousel doesn't begin until late March, and won't finish until early to mid-April.

And teams like UCLA, Kansas etc. won't have to hold a scholarship open--they'll have a hole created by an early NBA draft entry. 

feedback