collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UCONN (Again)  (Read 3201 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
UCONN (Again)
« on: January 17, 2019, 01:44:18 PM »
I'm not here to start another should UCONN become a member of the Big East thread, but they are losing money hand over fist.

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-uconn-sports-athletic-department-finances-revenue-expenses-20190117-2wdp5gimnvhlliwykl6npcmy7u-story.html

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: UCONN (Again)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 02:24:20 PM »
If they wanna drop football, let's talk.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 02:42:26 PM »
UCONN is in big trouble.  They have been banking on being next up for P5 membership in conference realignment and their football team just had one of the worst seasons in division 1A history.  The Big Ten's experiment with Rutgers and Maryland has been a massive flop.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/sports/rutgers-big-ten.html

It is now painfully clear that schools like Houston and UCF; schools with real football success and actual fanbases that care about football will be the next called up, if expansion ever actually does happen. 

If you go to the UCONN message board (https://the-boneyard.com) you will see a fanbase that for some reason thinks they are a season away from a P5 invite, and a pretty snobbish view on the new big east.  The consensus seems to be that UCONN is too prestigious for the new big east, and if they did want to join, they could do so at the drop of a hat (this part is certainly true).

It is really not inconceivable that 10 years from now we will be getting a ESPN 30 for 30:  UCONN, Death of a Titan, where a once powerful national brand centered around basketball threw away everything to prop up a horrendous football team with foolish hopes of gaining access to a P5 conference.  It would showcase everything wrong with conference realignment.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 03:13:01 PM »
Rutgers hasn't met with much success since joining the B10.  However it certainly is better than the alternative of staying in the Big East / American conference right?

BTW, that UConn loss does not include this year's football debacle.  This is for the fiscal year that ended in 2018.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 03:14:27 PM »
UCONN is in big trouble.  They have been banking on being next up for P5 membership in conference realignment and their football team just had one of the worst seasons in division 1A history.  The Big Ten's experiment with Rutgers and Maryland has been a massive flop.

It is now painfully clear that schools like Houston and UCF; schools with real football success and actual fanbases that care about football will be the next called up, if expansion ever actually does happen. 

If you go to the UCONN message board (https://the-boneyard.com) you will see a fanbase that for some reason thinks they are a season away from a P5 invite, and a pretty snobbish view on the new big east.  The consensus seems to be that UCONN is too prestigious for the new big east, and if they did want to join, they could do so at the drop of a hat (this part is certainly true).

It is really not inconceivable that 10 years from now we will be getting a ESPN 30 for 30:  UCONN, Death of a Titan, where a once powerful national brand centered around basketball threw away everything to prop up a horrendous football team with foolish hopes of gaining access to a P5 conference.  It would showcase everything wrong with conference realignment.

Just went over there. There are some real arrogant sh!t heads saying that the BE will die a slow death, while others are much more reasonable saying maybe, but our athletic department won't exist in 5 years if this keeps up.

Real weird fanbase. They have significantly more topics on basketball than football, have literally always been a basketball school, but somehow have this arrogance that football will bring them to the promise land.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 03:39:19 PM »

Yup.
Also, Geno is 64 and won't be coaching forever.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 03:42:34 PM »
Rutgers hasn't met with much success since joining the B10.  However it certainly is better than the alternative of staying in the Big East / American conference right?

BTW, that UConn loss does not include this year's football debacle.  This is for the fiscal year that ended in 2018.

It's really a band-aid on a bullet wound.  Yes, the payout is much higher as a member of a P5 conference as opposed to not being in a P5.  However, the payout does not cover the incredible expense of operating a P5 football program. 

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Above is a simple chart, but a telling one.  Just look at the revenue vs. expenses at all the P5 schools.  Only a few are making money, and by a few I mean like 5.  The rest are running a loss.  A lot of those are allocating money from the university to boost their revenue and balance their books.  Look at Arizona state.  Their expenses and revenue are about even, in fact they show a 2 million dollar gain.  However, take a look at the allocation.  Their 101 million in revenue is actually 81 million, with a 20 million dollar subsidy from the Arizona taxpayers.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 03:46:57 PM »
It's really a band-aid on a bullet wound.  Yes, the payout is much higher as a member of a P5 conference as opposed to not being in a P5.  However, the payout does not cover the incredible expense of operating a P5 football program. 

Above is a simple chart, but a telling one.  Just look at the revenue vs. expenses at all the P5 schools.  Only a few are making money, and by a few I mean like 5.  The rest are running a loss.  A lot of those are allocating money from the university to boost their revenue and balance their books.  Look at Arizona state.  Their expenses and revenue are about even, in fact they show a 2 million dollar gain.  However, take a look at the allocation.  Their 101 million in revenue is actually 81 million, with a 20 million dollar subsidy from the Arizona taxpayers.

Maybe I'm misreading it, but I count a lot more than five schools whose revenues exceed their expenses, even accounting for allocations.
You're overall point is correct, though.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 03:50:11 PM »
Maybe I'm misreading it, but I count a lot more than five schools whose revenues exceed their expenses, even accounting for allocations.
You're overall point is correct, though.

You're reading it right.  I was just being dramatic  ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 04:18:27 PM »

Small allocations aren't really a problem.  There are ancillary benefits to intercollegiate sports.  I have mentioned this before, but those expenses are probably best viewed as a marketing expense.  UConn's allocation is pretty extreme however.

I mean, I doubt there is a single D3 institution that has a positive operating budget for athletics without including institutional support.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 04:34:20 PM »

Small allocations aren't really a problem.  There are ancillary benefits to intercollegiate sports.  I have mentioned this before, but those expenses are probably best viewed as a marketing expense.  UConn's allocation is pretty extreme however.

I mean, I doubt there is a single D3 institution that has a positive operating budget for athletics without including institutional support.

UCONN's allocation is beyond pretty extreme.  A $40 million dollar loss over a decade would be extreme.  This would be $400 million over a decade.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 05:52:51 PM »
I've heard it's not the size of your allocation, it's how you accrue it.
Is that true? Asking for a friend university.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 05:54:31 PM »
I've heard it's not the size of your allocation, it's how you accrue it.
Is that true? Asking for a friend university.

Sirtainley true wit endowment, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 08:31:49 AM »

Correct. The Big Ten prints it's own money.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 09:18:31 AM »
Just went over there. There are some real arrogant sh!t heads saying that the BE will die a slow death, while others are much more reasonable saying maybe, but our athletic department won't exist in 5 years if this keeps up.

Real weird fanbase. They have significantly more topics on basketball than football, have literally always been a basketball school, but somehow have this arrogance that football will bring them to the promise land.

And there aren't arrogant crap heads here? It all depends on perspective. As an MU fan, you perceive the weird crap on Scoop through a different lens.

The flavor might be somewhat different here, but I don't agree with the viewpoint that since they got screwed in the realignment, they should all be sulking and licking their wounds. Uconn is a flagship institution and the people of the state are proud of the school's accomplishments - so much so that they are able to overlook a couple down years (shocking for some on here).

GGGG

• All American

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 07:47:56 PM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 07:52:36 PM »
Well this is new, didn't hear about this until just now. UCONN is a train wreck.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25796302/uconn-huskies-self-impose-penalties-violations-kevin-ollie

Team isn't going anywhere this year, so this feels like sacrificial offering to the NCAA in the hopes they go light. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 08:07:31 PM »
Team isn't going anywhere this year, so this feels like sacrificial offering to the NCAA in the hopes they go light.

And improving their position in a legal dispute...

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 08:54:44 AM »

Boy does this passage from the link about neatly summary the disaster that is Rutgers football!

[Coach Chris] Ash, who came from Ohio State in 2016, will have to work his way up from rock bottom if he is retained after the season. In three campaigns, he has compiled a 7-28 record, which includes a 78-0 loss against Michigan in 2016. Ten of his players have been arrested over the last 11 months.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

feedback