[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: So long, fall back and spring ahead?  (Read 3526 times)

Pakuni

• All American
So long, fall back and spring ahead?
« on: March 15, 2022, 03:57:55 PM »
Senate votes to make Daylight Saving Time permanent

WASHINGTON — The Senate approved legislation Tuesday that would make Daylight Saving Time permanent in the U.S. starting in 2023.

The bill, called The Sunshine Protection Act, was passed by unanimous consent, meaning no senators opposed it. If enacted, the measure would mean Americans no longer need to change their clocks twice a year.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/senate-passes-bill-making-daylight-193310141.html

lawdog77

• All American
Re: So long, fall back and spring ahead?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 04:00:44 PM »
Senate votes to make Daylight Saving Time permanent

WASHINGTON — The Senate approved legislation Tuesday that would make Daylight Saving Time permanent in the U.S. starting in 2023.

The bill, called The Sunshine Protection Act, was passed by unanimous consent, meaning no senators opposed it. If enacted, the measure would mean Americans no longer need to change their clocks twice a year.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/senate-passes-bill-making-daylight-193310141.html
Nice, bit what a dumb name for the bill.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 04:12:37 PM »
Thank you, Jonah Ryan.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 04:52:47 PM »
Thank you, Jonah Ryan.

I don’t understand why people care about this.

Learn me, someone.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 04:54:48 PM »
The freakonomics medical podcast just did an interesting episode about this.

There are actually improved health metrics if we maintained standard time year round vs daylight savings time.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 05:49:13 PM »

There are actually improved health metrics if we maintained standard time year round vs daylight savings time.

Yup.  Good stuff.  I will maintain reservations about the sun not rising until 830am in the winter though... good news is that sunset wouldn't be at 430pm.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 05:51:09 PM »
Yup.  Good stuff.  I will maintain reservations about the sun not rising until 830am in the winter though... good news is that sunset wouldn't be at 430pm.

Yea I think its definitely a net positive.  Walking out of an office at 530 and having it be dark as night as well as bitter cold is just extremely depressing.  Its not as bad in a warm weather state, but I think there is definitely something to be said for not feeling like all your daylight hours are spent in work

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 05:59:19 PM »
Yea I think its definitely a net positive.  Walking out of an office at 530 and having it be dark as night as well as bitter cold is just extremely depressing.  Its not as bad in a warm weather state, but I think there is definitely something to be said for not feeling like all your daylight hours are spent in work

Oh, and I'm 100% biased since I'm typically at work before 6am.  Being at work for 2.5 hours before the sun comes up... its so awful.  I cannot express in words how much I loathe it.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 06:01:56 PM »
This means were going to stay later in the evening correct? Because I would hate the other way.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 06:29:37 PM »
Does it make it safer for young kids walking to school in the dark?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2022, 08:24:03 PM »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 08:47:23 PM »

Haven't seen that, but pretty much every scientific expert on this has made it clear that changing the clocks twice a year is bad all around, especially for our health.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 09:06:56 PM »
Haven't seen that, but pretty much every scientific expert on this has made it clear that changing the clocks twice a year is bad all around, especially for our health.

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/is-daylight-saving-time-hazardous-to-your-health/

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 09:12:01 PM »
Don't know why we don't just split the difference and go with a half hour change permanently.   Time is all relative anyway, aina?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2022, 09:39:50 PM »

Why? We’ve been doing this twice a year for our whole lives. Are we that weak as a species?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2022, 10:14:01 PM »
Why? We’ve been doing this twice a year for our whole lives. Are we that weak as a species?

It is related to our circadian clocks. We have evolved to function on a specific schedule dictated by our bodies being able to predict when the sun will come up each day. Our sleep cycles are tightly coupled to this.

It is well known that disruptions to these patterns by our bodies not being properly aligned with the daily light/dark cycle leads to adverse health effects, including cancer, diabetes, mood disorders, etc.

Daylight savings time shifts our bodies into an un-natural regime. Constant standard time is most aligned with our natural clock.

Horacio de la Iglesia (at the University of Washington) is one of the most vocal and knowledgeable people in this arena.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2022, 10:22:48 PM »
It is related to our circadian clocks. We have evolved to function on a specific schedule dictated by our bodies being able to predict when the sun will come up each day. Our sleep cycles are tightly coupled to this.

It is well known that disruptions to these patterns by our bodies not being properly aligned with the daily light/dark cycle leads to adverse health effects, including cancer, diabetes, mood disorders, etc.

Daylight savings time shifts our bodies into an un-natural regime. Constant standard time is most aligned with our natural clock.

Horacio de la Iglesia (at the University of Washington) is one of the most vocal and knowledgeable people in this arena.

Okay.  So people who travel a lot for work are sacrificing themselves heavily... right?  8-)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2022, 10:46:40 PM »

2nd/3rd shift workers are gonna have a TON of work comp to claim, if true.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2022, 11:36:35 PM »
Okay.  So people who travel a lot for work are sacrificing themselves heavily... right?  8-)

Right.  Or on that vacation where you traveled several time zones - a few times a year. Or a dog barking that woke you up at night.  Or you drank too much and had to wake up in the middle of the night to pee.  Or you boss that schedules meetings at 8am (and you usually show up later).  Or that girlfriend that kept you up too late.

All those things have probably ruined my life, I just don't know it yet.  I'll have to wait for a scholar to tell me I should have stuck to strict sleep/wake times if I *really* wanted to be healthy person.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2022, 08:04:19 AM »
Right.  Or on that vacation where you traveled several time zones - a few times a year. Or a dog barking that woke you up at night.  Or you drank too much and had to wake up in the middle of the night to pee.  Or you boss that schedules meetings at 8am (and you usually show up later).  Or that girlfriend that kept you up too late.

All those things have probably ruined my life, I just don't know it yet.  I'll have to wait for a scholar to tell me I should have stuck to strict sleep/wake times if I *really* wanted to be healthy person.

Or 9PM Big East start games.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2022, 08:53:25 AM »

All I know is that Horacio de la Iglesia is one of the coolest names ever.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2022, 08:59:45 AM »
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I really hate it when it's dark at 4:30 p.m. here in the middle of the winter. On the other hand, I hate waking up when it's dark out and, based on the maps in that Vox article 'Topper linked, that will be a nearly constant situation here on the Western edge to the Eastern time zone. If this happens, it will be much better to be on the Eastern edge of your respective time zone.

Edited to add: Based on the map, I think I'd much prefer DST be abolished than made permanent.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 09:02:39 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2022, 01:54:16 PM »
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I really hate it when it's dark at 4:30 p.m. here in the middle of the winter. On the other hand, I hate waking up when it's dark out and, based on the maps in that Vox article 'Topper linked, that will be a nearly constant situation here on the Western edge to the Eastern time zone. If this happens, it will be much better to be on the Eastern edge of your respective time zone.

Edited to add: Based on the map, I think I'd much prefer DST be abolished than made permanent.

The map is not correct. This morning twilight started about 6:30 am and sunrise was not until 7:10 am this morning here in New Jersey (eastern part of the time zone). From Mid November to Mid February Sunrise would be between 7:35 and 8:15 in the mourning on DST. School age children would be waiting for their school buses in the dark. I remember when Nixon ordered DST during the winter of '74 to "conserve energy". It was very unpopular then as it will be now with parents complaining about sending their kids off to school in the dark. I can't imagine waking up at 4am with the sun shining through my bedroom windows if we were on standard time all year long either. I know we don't like the time change, but it is better than keeping standard time or daylight time all year long.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2022, 04:00:40 PM »
Hot take: The US should get rid of at least one time zone (probably two).

feedback