[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sport organizations you admire  (Read 13400 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Sport organizations you admire
« on: March 08, 2016, 11:11:10 PM »
I am a fan of "my teams" but I admit I like, and often grudgingly admire various other sports organizations...for various reasons.

Examples:

Packers: ownership by the people is so cool ( I am a shareholder), they make consistent quality moves and have a great fan friendly environment; sustained winning

Steelers: I can remember when they were bad...but since the 70s wow...only 3 coaches (loyalty is cool), very consistent winners, and family run

Twins/A's: Small market teams who have generally overachieved with cobbled lineups thereby usually turning out better teams than their fans/relative money position would expect.

Spurs: Every year for a few decades they were supposed to get old and be forced to strip it down and rebuild...somehow Pop, management and Robinson/Duncan (classy players) have them right there every year.

Cardinals: There has hardly been a year in my life when they were really bad. A few ups and downs with management and managers, but a truly loyal multi generational fan base.

Duke: Hard for me here, but I have to concede huge consistent success, generally good "quality" people/players, good academics, and fervent fans

Barcelona: run by season ticket holder voting (I like teams owned/run by other than rich guys) an amazing internal academy farm system in Espanyol, and esp during Pep's years, a beautiful style of play.

I am sure there are many more for me and you...but this is a sample

Especially among teams that aren't your home or personal rooting interest favorites, whose organization/program do you admire or give props to (even grudgingly- lol)....oh yeah...and why?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

HouWarrior

• All American
Re: Sport organizations you admire
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 11:25:08 PM »
MODS: my mistake ....this should have been started in superbar

...could you please move it there before we get 20 posts reminding of what fool I was, here..My wife already has that job well in hand
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 11:27:40 PM »
Spurs. Packers. That's about it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 11:31:07 PM »
I have the utmost respect for the Pack, but the "shareholders" do not own the Packers. Anyone who ever bought a "share" is donating money to the Packers without the tax benefit. Quite honestly it's one of the greatest marketing moves in sports history.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 11:40:09 PM »
I have the utmost respect for the Pack, but the "shareholders" do not own the Packers. Anyone who ever bought a "share" is donating money to the Packers without the tax benefit. Quite honestly it's one of the greatest marketing moves in sports history.

I'm one of the biggest Packer fans I know of but one of the lamest things in sports is seeing a grown adult wearing "owner" on a shirt or god forbid cheesehead.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:59:48 PM »
Denver Broncos: They have done a remarkable job sustaining success, often quietly so. While they've had QBs like Elway and Manning, they've also won with guys like Plummer, Cutler, and Orton.

St. Louis Cardinals: I hate the Cards, but they just win, year after year, and do so without a Yankee budget. Ever since winning the 1982 Series I've admired that team. Really amazing how consistently good they are.

San Antonio Spurs: Much of their success came from the "good fortune" of David Robinson's injury that led directly to Duncan, but they have found unexpected stars like Ginobli, Parker, and Leonard to sustain their success. Pop is probably the best basketball coach on the planet. Seems like a good franchise that does it the right way.

Chicago Blackhawks: Okay...this is a team I cheer for, but when I was younger, I really hated the way the team I loved was managed. From the abysmal television situation to the empty stadium to constantly shipping out their best players, it was really tough to be a 'Hawks fan. The past few years have been amazing. Not just the winning, but building a franchise that can sustain success while retaining their core of Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, and Hjalmarsson. In the modern day NHL, that's near unheard of.

Stoke City: Since earning promotion in 2007-08, Stoke has grown into a reliable, mid-table team without the budget of teams like the Manchesters, Liverpool, Arsenal, or Chelsea. They've had some success in Europe, turned the Brittannia into a fortress, and really become a formidable team in the EPL. For a team everyone expected to be relegated a decade ago, they've done rather well for themselves.

Villanova: I know, they haven't had as much March success as we'd like, but Jay Wright has sustained a great program. What I really admire is that after landing some top tier classes and watching results suffer a bit despite that, Wright has put a focus on getting guys that fit his system. He runs that 4-out/1-in and seems to have a stream of developing players. A classy school that seems to do it right, and repeatedly.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 12:03:14 AM »

+1

Amazing how much value Packer fans place on that meaningless piece of paper. It's basically a $250 price tag to be a member of the Packers Fan Club. Hilarious how well that scam worked.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 12:35:37 AM »
I have to throw Golden State in there. That team is filled with classy athletes who aren't out talking trash about other great teams (96 Bulls) but just love competing and want to make their mark on history. 

Beyond that I'd agree with the Spurs.

I love the modern Blackhawks and think it's really impressive that they've kept the core of a team with 3 Cups and 2 more Western Finals appearances together. But man I really hate Kane off the ice, and didn't really like Sharp either so I don't want to include them on my list. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 01:05:03 AM »
Are we talking present day or historically? Historically what the Celtics accomplished was simply amazing. Red Auerbach was something else.

But what the Patriots have done since the turn of the century is absolutely amazing. It is waaaay harder to win consistently in the NFL than in other sport. Brady and Belichick have had quite the run.

I don't understand how I'm the 1st person to mention these 2 teams on this thread tho.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 01:31:43 AM »
Are we talking present day or historically? Historically what the Celtics accomplished was simply amazing. Red Auerbach was something else.

But what the Patriots have done since the turn of the century is absolutely amazing. It is waaaay harder to win consistently in the NFL than in other sport. Brady and Belichick have had quite the run.

I don't understand how I'm the 1st person to mention these 2 teams on this thread tho.

You'll notice most of the teams in here are ones that are respected, not that are necessarily successful.

The Patriots will never make most peoples list because of their long history of cheating.

For me the teams I respect (in no particular order).

The Packers, Spurs, Duke, Gonzaga, and I'll agree with you on the old school Celtics (Also really liking them under Brad Stevens).

Oh and who can forget the Jamaican Bobsled team.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 01:40:36 AM »
I guess I missed the part about listing teams that I don't chear for.

Yankees: hate them but they have 27 rings. They have quite the list of legends too. fortunately tho since 2004 the Sox have had more success....and boy was 2004 sweet. The old Yankees stadium was great and the fans were always rowdy but unfortunately they have been priced out by a disinterested corporate crowd. Anyone who watched last year's 1 game playoff against Houston knows what I'm talking about. The fans showed up in the 3rd and left by the 6th and didn't make any noise. There are plenty of legit fans, it's just a shame they have been displaced.

Lakers: similar to the Yankees. 16 rings is impressive, and the Celtics/Lakers rivalry is awesome. I'm so glad that Pierce and Kobe brought it back.

Kansas: 12 big 12 titles in a row I believe.... That's just absurd. I've never been but Allen field house is arguably the best place to watch a college game. Great fanbase. And I love the history dating all the way back to Jim Naismith and Phog Allen. A history of great basketball minds that continued with Roy Williams and Bill self.

I also agree with what people said about the Steelers, cardinals, Spurs and the Dukies. Have to mention UNC as well.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 01:51:40 AM »
You'll notice most of the teams in here are ones that are respected, not that are necessarily successful.

The Patriots will never make most peoples list because of their long history of cheating.

For me the teams I respect (in no particular order).

The Packers, Spurs, Duke, Gonzaga, and I'll agree with you on the old school Celtics (Also really liking them under Brad Stevens).

Oh and who can forget the Jamaican Bobsled team.

It's just such a shame that the media has ruined the Patriots reputation so much. They are a 1st class organization all the way. I don't know how anyone could warrant more respect than Tom Brady. We've had a great group of guys over the years who worked their tails off. Most of those guys were overlooked by every other team in the NFL. I'm not going to get in any debates on here about the patriots "cheating". It's better that way for all of us. But Tedy Bruschi said it best: don't believe what everyone says, just believe the greatness that you have seen on the field for the past 15 years. Cuz that's real

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 02:11:25 AM »
+1

Amazing how much value Packer fans place on that meaningless piece of paper. It's basically a $250 price tag to be a member of the Packers Fan Club. Hilarious how well that scam worked.
I did not intend to trigger cynicism with my parenthetical reference to Packer Shareholder. I know my place. Heck I am first a Texans fan (very painful, too...lol)

What I reference by people owned is....and Unless something has changed .....those real original shareholders with shares subject to VFW rights ...those are just regular folks- yes? Its to  this "people ownership" that I reference...I just like that there isnt any single megawealthy jerk owner, and that the Pack remains in the smallest major league town in the USA..kind of neat.

I have/intended No personal  pretense as to my "fun" certificate I gave them $250 for. In my defense...its framed here..its a fun conversation piece (and in light of my respect for the other "real" owners)...I was happy to kick over the money knowing I get nothing of real value...actually in lieu of her annual Xmas $, I told my mom I would enjoy "blowing" her cash on this, instead.

To compare ...the NYTimes online shop will charge you well over this amount for a certificate of long cancelled shares of famous companies..or of defunct companies, like Vanderbilt Railroad, Inc. A corporate lawyer friend actually decorated his office with those. But like my Pack certificate he likes the decoration of it and says also its a good conversation piece

Skitch, Dish, Brew..I feel Properly chastised... I am not a Packer shareholder, but rather a fool who simply enjoyed blowing the $250 for the fun its brought. OK?

PS...BTW...sorry to you all for  my above thin skinned digression. Personal posts like this are real thread killers. My apologies.

Please return to the regularly scheduled thread topic. These teams you're adding to the growing list are great. Other "historicals" could include Wooden UCLA, Dean Smith's UNC and Walsh/Seifert 49ers...although these are not all that "admirable" today.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:55:03 AM by houwarrior »

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 10:01:55 AM »
Those who can't remember the St. Louis Cardinals being consistently bad must not have been watching much baseball in the 1990's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 10:05:22 AM »
+1

By definition, it isn't a scam.  It wasn't dishonest.  It wasn't fraud.  Legally they are owners but their shares have no real marketable value.  Everyone knew that when they bought one. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 10:07:40 AM »

I have/intended No personal  pretense as to my "fun" certificate I gave them $250 for. In my defense...its framed here..its a fun conversation piece (and in light of my respect for the other "real" owners)...I was happy to kick over the money knowing I get nothing of real value...actually in lieu of her annual Xmas $, I told my mom I would enjoy "blowing" her cash on this, instead.

I have one too.  I have never viewed it more than a piece of memorabilia.  No different than a jersey, helmet, etc.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 10:08:30 AM »
I've had to deal with just about every team in the nation over the last 17 years, every league, every major college conference.   Many have quality people, smart leadership, some do not.  None are perfect, nor should they be.  Different missions, different complexities that many fans don't understand in my opinion.

There are also those organizations that are amazing at doing one thing, and inept at others.  The Cowboys fit this bill.  One of the smartest organizations I've ever dealt with on the business side.  These guys can turn so much to gold it is incredible....but their football product is anything but spectacular...l would call the football side a failure the last 15 years from a W's and L's, but an amazing force in other areas.

My point being it depends on what the criteria is, what resources they have to bear, the market they are in, so on and so forth.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 10:23:42 AM »
I've had to deal with just about every team in the nation over the last 17 years, every league, every major college conference.   Many have quality people, smart leadership, some do not.  None are perfect, nor should they be.  Different missions, different complexities that many fans don't understand in my opinion.

There are also those organizations that are amazing at doing one thing, and inept at others.  The Cowboys fit this bill.  One of the smartest organizations I've ever dealt with on the business side.  These guys can turn so much to gold it is incredible....but their football product is anything but spectacular...l would call the football side a failure the last 15 years from a W's and L's, but an amazing force in other areas.

My point being it depends on what the criteria is, what resources they have to bear, the market they are in, so on and so forth.

That's why the topic is sports teams you admire.  Whether they should be admired or not is a different story.  This is a matter of opinion.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 10:25:37 AM »

I dare you to send a $100 check to Halas Hall and then write it off with the IRS.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 10:48:24 AM »
Any college sports team or program that is non-scholarship.

brandx

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 11:23:56 AM »
FIFA

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 11:28:30 AM »
The Ricketts' Family Chicago Cubs.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 01:56:06 PM »
Those who can't remember the St. Louis Cardinals being consistently bad must not have been watching much baseball in the 1990's.

I can respect the Cardinals sustained success in the 21st century, but HouWarrior mentioning their fanbase in his original post is where he lost me.  The absolute worst.

Stoke City: Since earning promotion in 2007-08, Stoke has grown into a reliable, mid-table team without the budget of teams like the Manchesters, Liverpool, Arsenal, or Chelsea. They've had some success in Europe, turned the Brittannia into a fortress, and really become a formidable team in the EPL. For a team everyone expected to be relegated a decade ago, they've done rather well for themselves.

Mid-table is generous when they were consistently in the 12-14 range.  Tony Pulis' team also played a reckless, borderline dirty style of soccer.  I was far from a fan.  HOWEVER, the current iteration helmed by Mark Hughes is much different, much more enjoyable to watch and acquiring Shaquiri was a massive coup.  I think Stoke and Palace are the 2 "non-traditional" squads of the last 10 years that have a bright future.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 03:21:24 PM »
I dare you to send a $100 check to Halas Hall and then write it off with the IRS.

The McCaskey's would ask for $50 on top of the sawbuck.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 03:32:29 PM »
I can respect the Cardinals sustained success in the 21st century, but HouWarrior mentioning their fanbase in his original post is where he lost me.  The absolute worst.

When our Astros were still in NL central I saw traveling Cards fans, and they seemed to handle themselves very well...but for sure...I have never been to a Cardinals Game in St Louis...so this may well be my bad...from afar. I had the impression, (admittedly partially created by announcers) that the fans are knowledgeable,  known to clap for an opposing pitcher if he had a great game, etc...they seem intensely loyal.

What makes them the worst actually (or are you simply a rival cubs fan-- lol) ?

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 03:46:54 PM »

Regardless of your greater vast exposure to all these teams...dont overthink this. Pick your own criteria. What one person admires another may not. These are just gut feel opinions...an interesting topic.

Personally, I like smaller market teams, people ownership, loyalty/class, sustained success,  and over achievement viz avail $$

Others note for example the Yankees a big market, big money, rich owner team with undeniable success..Thats great ....who couldnt admire the success/results of the Yanks.

Your reference to Cowboys is interesting too. Who wouldnt note how they can turn a dime at every angle....great businessmen. If you admire them say so. I dont agree on them because J Jones(owner.GM--what a joke) cowboys have won less than even our Texans during the same period...big press and annual hype... but onfield results have lacked since days of Landry and Jimmy J.

So please...on any criteria you want post the teams, outside of your personal favs (ie the "other guys") that you admire and why.

The Ducks/Kings are a pretty admirable organizations--yes? Well run, great fan experience, pretty decent success
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 04:48:31 PM by houwarrior »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2016, 03:56:07 PM »
When our Astros were still in NL central I saw traveling Cards fans, and they seemed to handle themselves very well...but for sure...I have never been to a Cardinals Game in St Louis...so this may well be my bad...from afar. I had the impression, (admittedly partially created by announcers) that the fans are knowledgeable,  known to clap for an opposing pitcher if he had a great game, etc...they seem intensely loyal.

Cardinals fans are the worst because they vocally and continuously refer to themselves as the best fans in baseball.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2016, 04:00:04 PM »
Regardless of your greater vast exposure to all these teams...dont overthink this. Pick your own criteria. What one person admires another may not. These are just gut feel opinions...an interesting topic.

Personally, I like smaller market teams, people ownership and over achievement viz avail $$

Others note for example the Yankees a big market, big money, rich owner team with undeniable success..Thats great ....who couldnt admire the success/results of the Yanks.

Your reference to Cowboys is interesting too. Who wouldnt note how they can turn a dime at every angle....great businessmen. If you admire them say so. I dont agree on them because J Jones(owner.GM--what a joke) cowboys have won less than even our Texans during the same period...big press and annual hype... but onfield results have lacked since days of Landry and Jimmy J.

So please...on any criteria you want post the teams, outside of your personal favs (ie the "other guys") that you admire and why.

The Ducks/Kings are a pretty admirable organizations--yes? Well run, great fan experience, pretty decent success

Seriously... you can't start a topic on "sports organizations you admire" and expect Chicos to keep his mouth shut (and/or tell us all about the time he had dinner with every major sports team owner and GM in the ESPN private dining room while LeBron, Peyton and Clayton put on a variety show for everyone's entertainment.)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2016, 04:19:18 PM »
Cardinals fans are the worst because they vocally and continuously refer to themselves as the best fans in baseball.

In all fairness, Packer fans do this too (not best fans in baseball but sports in general).

Also HouWarrior I apologize if you thought I was chastising you. That definitely wasn't my intent. I have plenty of friends and family that bought the stock and think it's an awesome souvenir.  My comment was more about the people that think their purchase makes them mini Mark Cuban.  I actually know a guy who owns this and wears it semi regularly

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2016, 04:45:22 PM »
Seriously... you can't start a topic on "sports organizations you admire" and expect Chicos to keep his mouth shut (and/or tell us all about the time he had dinner with every major sports team owner and GM in the ESPN private dining room while LeBron, Peyton and Clayton put on a variety show for everyone's entertainment.)
Lol lol

brandx

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2016, 04:47:16 PM »

Knock it off, Benny. That's my job. ?-(

THIS IS YOUR FINAL WARNING!!

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 04:58:28 PM »
In all fairness, Packer fans do this too (not best fans in baseball but sports in general).

Also HouWarrior I apologize if you thought I was chastising you. That definitely wasn't my intent. I have plenty of friends and family that bought the stock and think it's an awesome souvenir.  My comment was more about the people that think their purchase makes them mini Mark Cuban.  I actually know a guy who owns this and wears it semi regularly

Absolutely no apology needed. It was I who personalized and foolishly thinskinned the response.

BTW, one fun thing  I get is two tickets every year in the mail to the shareholders meeting at Lambeau. I have never been. If anyone in WI wants them just message me here. (they dont have my name on them, just a UPC bar--- so you probably can just fake you are me...heck I'll even send along my proxy). Who knows it may be a fun time. Let me know...you can sit with Sultan

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 05:03:34 PM »
FIFA
lol As John Oliver says ..."FIFA is a vast criminal organization that occasionally conducts soccer matches"...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2016, 05:11:19 PM »

I have had exposure to Chicos on Scoop ... and now I admire everyone else!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2016, 05:20:09 PM »
lol As John Oliver says ..."FIFA is a vast criminal organization that occasionally conducts soccer matches"...

Back to the original question though, I admire organizations that come up with a workable plan and stick to it.

Two that come to mind immediately are the SA Spurs and San Francisco Giants.

They can both be compared to teams from their same states to illustrate what I am saying.

Compare the Giants to the Dodgers. The Giants have a plan on how they want to win and have been very successful at it. I am unable to make any headway out of what the Dodgers are attempting. Their past moves show that their only strategy is more money, more money. Yey, when Greinke's contract is up, that whole philosophy is thrown out the window. Their modus operandi seems to be spend money, except some days when they don't feel like it.

Similarly, you could compare the Spurs to the Dallas Mavericks. The Spurs have a certain type of on-floor player to fit their system. The Mavs just grab random pieces of the puzzle as they become available.

The Packers are the most obvious example in football. Ted has a plan for what he thinks will work to build and maintain a winning team. And, often to the frustration of GB fans, he sticks to it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2016, 06:33:55 PM »
Hey, everyone remembers that the Cardinals are under investigation by the FBI, right?

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2016, 07:15:16 PM »
Hey, everyone remembers that the Cardinals are under investigation by the FBI, right?
Point well taken

Our Astros hired a former Card exec Jeff Luhnow as our GM.
The Cards computer guy claimed he was hacking our computers to see if Luhnow's success in rebuilding the 'stros was based on using Metrics programs that Luhnow may have taken with him from the Cards. Finding no evidence of Luhnow thievery he still stayed in the hack and grabbed our internal players assesments/metric analysis. A Federal computer crime.

This one guy working for the Cards has already pled guilty to federal computer hacking charges....awaiting final sentencing now.

In this incident I loathe and do not admire the Cards in the least...and I'll officially downgrade my admiration of them downward a few notches. In their defense, to a degree,  the FBI found that this guy pretty much lone wolfed his hacking...he was not asked/told to do so by higher ups. But no doubt it was a sneaky stunt only Bill Belichek could love. lol

Even though its my home team ...and Therefore not eligible under this thread's  parameters... The Astros are currently a very well run organization, converting a five year cellar hell to smart signings, very deep farm system, disciplined use of $$...fun team to watch, good stadium experience. My gut tells me Carlos Correa has Derek Jeter type HOF potential...he is special
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:18:58 PM by houwarrior »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2016, 07:29:06 PM »
John McDonough is the best executive in sports.  Roller Derby is the best league.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 12:43:37 AM »

I have been blessed to have a different role than 99.9% of the people on this board.  You can always put me on ignore.  I have an insight that most don't because of past history.

Don't know LeBron or Clayton. Peyton...different story. 

I can't answer Houston's question by ignoring the life experiences I've had.   Let me give you an example, my first few meetings with the Denver Broncos were when they were building the replacement for Mile High Stadium...at the time it was to be called Invesco Field.  My interactions with their executive team was tinged by one guy that was hitting on my colleague so much, than he later told her he would cut us a better deal if she slept with him.  So my opinion of the Broncos organization has that bias with it.  Those types of things, the vast vast vast majority of people here don't get to experience first hand because they aren't involved in it day to day.

Again, don't like the responses...easy solution.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2016, 01:29:14 AM »
I have been blessed to have a different role than 99.9% of the people on this board. 

Chiquito:

At long last..... your darkest secrets are revealed. I suspected this.

ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL SCOOPERS:

....Chicos is a point 1 percenter !!!!!!, ....

he secretly lives the life of an elite of the elites....ie he is at the top of those " one percenters"  that are so reviled by the liberal media (this also explains why you hate the damn liberal media--lol).

BTW, Chiquito, I am different from many as ...I instead prefer to see you as a "job creator"....because...I am like many here ....we all see it as our "job" (as created by you)  ...to occasionally give you some good natured kidding....

Which...BTW... is what I am doing here, and what Benny was doing with his post....so

laugh a little at yourself...Geez ...no wonder the liberal media is out to get you...you one percenters take yourselves way too seriously.

lol.lol
lol
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:52:33 AM by houwarrior »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2016, 02:12:46 AM »

A later poster hit it with the "Best Fans in Baseball" comment.  Me being a Cubs fan only factors into the fact that I have many interactions with them.  When I was in college, I had a begrudging respect for them.  I met multiple girls from STL that weren't just Cards fans, they could talk rosters, strategy, etc...  Very knowledgeable.  It wasn't until I moved to Chicago, went to multiple games at Wrigley, had more interactions, that the smug, haughty side came out. "Doing it the right way", "classiest organization", etc...  Any time anything happened, they were quick with the "it would never happen to a top class organization like ours".  Or telling Cubs fans that it was pathetic at how excited they were about winning the series this past fall.  Frankly, it reminded me a lot of UW fans.  Needless to say, the hacking scandal was delicious.  As was them losing their minds and reacting with racist fervor when Hayward chose to leave their hallowed grounds for Wrigley.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2016, 08:39:10 AM »
Chiquito:

At long last..... your darkest secrets are revealed. I suspected this.

ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL SCOOPERS:

....Chicos is a point 1 percenter !!!!!!, ....

Definitely not, at least not in the income department.    In the world of sports, I've been lucky, and yes...part of an elite and small fraternity.  Is what it is.

Just as I value opinions of the military here more from MUeng and Keefe, than I do others....because they have experience to bear and personal insights.  No different.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2016, 09:06:26 AM »
It's just such a shame that the media has ruined the Patriots reputation so much. They are a 1st class organization all the way. I don't know how anyone could warrant more respect than Tom Brady. We've had a great group of guys over the years who worked their tails off. Most of those guys were overlooked by every other team in the NFL. I'm not going to get in any debates on here about the patriots "cheating". It's better that way for all of us. But Tedy Bruschi said it best: don't believe what everyone says, just believe the greatness that you have seen on the field for the past 15 years. Cuz that's real

Yes, if only the media had completely ignored the continuous, repeated cheating by the Patriots, the franchise would be revered!

The Patriots are like Barry Bonds. What they accomplished on the field is highly impressive but anyone who thinks they reached those peaks "organically" is kidding themselves.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2016, 09:11:44 AM »

Yep, they're Packer fans of MLB.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2016, 09:29:10 AM »
Just as I value opinions of the military here more from MUeng and Keefe, than I do others....because they have experience to bear and personal insights.  No different.

I think people would respect your experience in conjunction with your opinion -- I however missed where the opinion was given in your posts.

I think time & place things come together for a lot of teams but it is hard to keep it going long-term.

A few of my favorites.
Braves & Twins in the late 80's/90's
Spurs
Blackhawks since the elder Wirtz died
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:47:55 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2016, 02:21:05 PM »
I have a mild defense of Packers shareholders (I am a Packer fan but have never bought stock, FWIW)...

It might not give that individual shareholder any real power or voting rights, with one HUGE exception:

The Packers ownership structure guarantees with absolute certainty the Packers will never leave Wisconsin. No other professional sports franchise can say that to their fans. No other sports team knows who will own them in 50 years. The Packers will never have a single owner or a small ownership group that wants to move them to a different market.

To me, as a fan, this is invaluable. That justifies the $250 cost.

That said, I do think it is foolish when people parade around their "owner" status. I would like to thank them for putting down the cash to keep the Packers in Wisconsin, so I don't have to.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 02:23:36 PM by Coleman »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2016, 03:57:56 PM »
Yes, if only the media had completely ignored the continuous, repeated cheating by the Patriots, the franchise would be revered!

The Patriots are like Barry Bonds. What they accomplished on the field is highly impressive but anyone who thinks they reached those peaks "organically" is kidding themselves.

What teams in the NFL don't bend the rules?

What baseball players don't cheat?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2016, 04:04:08 PM »
Many people said the Spurs and that is the first thing that came into my head when I read the question.

I admired what the Tampa Bay Rays did in the late aughts and early teens.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brandx

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 04:40:09 PM »
Yep, they're Packer fans of MLB.

Pot, meet kettle

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2016, 04:53:02 PM »
What teams in the NFL don't bend the rules?

What baseball players don't cheat?
None.  So to get repeatedly caught means something special, even more so in the NFL.  I can't think of a single franchise i'd say i 'admire' in the NFL.

I too have a soft spot in my heart for small market baseball teams that stick with a plan (growing up in MN will do that to a man).  To that end, I really like what the Royals have done over the last 6 years and will be interested to see if it is sustainable, if so they should be in the 'admire' column.

Nova, Duke and Gonzaga are great examples of programs to admire in college bball.  for all of them i hope it's the organization and not the current specific coach.

From the 'HE stay/go' thread in the Al i was really expecting to see the Timberwolves over here

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 05:09:18 PM »

oh-oh, here we go-actually, i've heard from a few sources, the oakland raiders fans are not only the worst, but the most confrontational.  a kansas city chief fan/friend of mine said, not only do they not even think about traveling with the team(chiefs) on a road game to oakland, but they don't even go to the home games in kansas city when they are playing he raiders unless you've got a black belt in some form of martial arts with ya 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 11:07:48 AM »

NFL teams get caught for cheating all the time, you usually just don't hear much of it because the media doesn't  make a huge deal out of minor things. For example just this week the Chiefs got busted for breaking rules in regards to acquiring Jeremy maclin. Also this season the Falcons got punished for illegally pumping crowd noise into the Georgia dome. The media didn't really cover these stories, nor should they have extensively.

But do you think the media would've just ignored these if it was the Pattiots? They would've been HUGE stories. Deflategate wasn't even a real thing and no rules were broken and it became arguably the biggest news story of my lifetime.

People say that the patriots get treated differently because of their "long history of cheating". What looooong history of cheating are people talking about? And before anyone mentions "spygate" please educate yourself on the issue. But what else? 

brandx

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 12:43:23 PM »

Deflategate wasn't even a real thing and no rules were broken and it became arguably the biggest news story of my lifetime.

You really said that??? I'm assuming you are at least 15 years old - so Deflategate was a bigger news story than 9/11?

That is an all-timer here on Scoop.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2016, 12:45:42 PM »
NFL teams get caught for cheating all the time, you usually just don't hear much of it because the media doesn't  make a huge deal out of minor things. For example just this week the Chiefs got busted for breaking rules in regards to acquiring Jeremy maclin. Also this season the Falcons got punished for illegally pumping crowd noise into the Georgia dome. The media didn't really cover these stories, nor should they have extensively.

But do you think the media would've just ignored these if it was the Pattiots? They would've been HUGE stories. Deflategate wasn't even a real thing and no rules were broken and it became arguably the biggest news story of my lifetime.

People say that the patriots get treated differently because of their "long history of cheating". What looooong history of cheating are people talking about? And before anyone mentions "spygate" please educate yourself on the issue. But what else?

"Belichick issued a statement "to apologize to everyone who has been affected," and also stated that he spoke with Goodell about Belichick's "interpretation of the rule." Belichick stated that he believed that if footage so collected was not used during the game, its collection was legal, as the NFL Constitution and Bylaws stipulate that "...any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, shall be prohibited...including without limitation...any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game."[15] In a September 2006 memorandum sent out by NFL Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson, though, all teams were told that "videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game.""

Yes Deflategate was an absurd circus, but it is contended it is in regards to the lack of response to Spygate.

Do not use Bill Simmons to "Educate yourself".

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2016, 01:40:09 PM »
You really said that??? I'm assuming you are at least 15 years old - so Deflategate was a bigger news story than 9/11?

That is an all-timer here on Scoop.

I knew this comment would get some laughs. Was 9/11 a bigger deal than "deflategate"? OBVIOUSLY. 9/11 was the biggest EVENT of my lifetime. But for how many days were the terrorist attacks the lead story in the national media? I'm not sure, maybe 2 weeks? Deflategate was a lead story for about 100 days, it was incredible. And it literally should never have been a story to begin with. You know what I'm sayin?

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »
"Belichick issued a statement "to apologize to everyone who has been affected," and also stated that he spoke with Goodell about Belichick's "interpretation of the rule." Belichick stated that he believed that if footage so collected was not used during the game, its collection was legal, as the NFL Constitution and Bylaws stipulate that "...any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, shall be prohibited...including without limitation...any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game."[15] In a September 2006 memorandum sent out by NFL Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson, though, all teams were told that "videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game.""

Yes Deflategate was an absurd circus, but it is contended it is in regards to the lack of response to Spygate.

Do not use Bill Simmons to "Educate yourself".

Yes spygate broke the rules. I'll acknowledge that. It was a infraction of the rules of similar proportions to the Chiefs and Falcons rules infractions. Not a huge deal, but we shouldn't have done it. Ok pay a fine and move on.

So where is this loooooong history of "repeated and continuous" cheating that you guys are talking about?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2016, 02:09:48 PM »
I knew this comment would get some laughs. Was 9/11 a bigger deal than "deflategate"? OBVIOUSLY. 9/11 was the biggest EVENT of my lifetime. But for how many days were the terrorist attacks the lead story in the national media? I'm not sure, maybe 2 weeks? Deflategate was a lead story for about 100 days, it was incredible. And it literally should never have been a story to begin with. You know what I'm sayin?

Oh Jesus....  Not only was it the lead story for much longer than that, it defined how we viewed our worldview to this very day. 

Deflategate was nowhere near the "lead story for about 100 days" unless the only thing you watch is SportsCenter. 

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2016, 02:21:43 PM »

Oh Jesus....  Not only was it the lead story for much longer than that, it defined how we viewed our worldview to this very day. 

Deflategate was nowhere near the "lead story for about 100 days" unless the only thing you watch is SportsCenter.

We're all getting away from the point. What I'm trying to say is that deflategate was a huge media story and a way bigger story than it should have been. Why is that?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2016, 02:46:22 PM »
We're all getting away from the point. What I'm trying to say is that deflategate was a huge media story and a way bigger story than it should have been. Why is that?

Easy.  Because Tom Brady is a schmoe and ragging on him = ratings (& advertising $$$).

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2016, 03:40:20 PM »

Quit while you're behind.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2016, 06:38:18 PM »
SF Giants right now. They're doing it the way the late 90s-early 00s Yankees did: with homegrown talent, good management, rarely if ever overreaching on players.
SS Marquette

reinko

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2016, 05:53:40 AM »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2016, 07:21:52 AM »
It's all about the leadership.  The 60's -80's Celtics were one of the best.  So were the Lakers of the 70's / 80's (as much as I hate them).   Now it's the Spurs.  Manchester United during the Sir Alex Ferguson years (but not now, how far they have fallen once the leadership left).  The Packers... who have transitioned nicely from Wolf to Ted Thompson - something that very rarely happens - and have recognized the importance of having an elite on the field leader and have done it well with Favre and then Rogers.  Again, hate to admit it, but Duke Basketball is also in this category. 

The longest dynasty with the most successful leadership transitions and the shortest "droughts" between titles?  New Zealand Rugby.   They are the sports organization I admire the most.  From their youth development programs to their 7's squad to their International 15 they consistently produce the best players and best organization in the world.   
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2016, 11:32:29 AM »
New York Yankees the gold standard of sports success: 27 World Championships, 40 Pennants, and 52 Playoff Appearances. Won 5 series in a row ( 1949- 1953) and came close to repeating wining 4 of 5 (1996-2000) which I think is more remarkable having to win division and league series as well. Since 1921 they have played in the post season more than half the time.

Perhaps the America's Cup sailing competition is comparable.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2016, 11:46:49 AM »

Whoa...I just read this for the first time.  Uhm, 9/11 was the biggest story for months if not years.  It is still a story talked about....please do not equate it to deflategate on any level.  First of all, deflategate was hardly that much of a mainstream story, it was mostly a sports story with some one off exceptions. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2016, 02:45:35 PM »
Frankly, I am disappointed no one has mentioned the Harlem Globetrotters. Their cumulative W-L record is for the ages.

Death on call

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2016, 04:22:18 PM »
Frankly, I am disappointed no one has mentioned the Harlem Globetrotters. Their cumulative W-L record is for the ages.

You must watch wresling.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2016, 09:08:38 AM »
Yes spygate broke the rules. I'll acknowledge that. It was a infraction of the rules of similar proportions to the Chiefs and Falcons rules infractions. Not a huge deal, but we shouldn't have done it. Ok pay a fine and move on.

So where is this loooooong history of "repeated and continuous" cheating that you guys are talking about?

I'm not sure if you've read the following espn report on Spygate:  http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart
Comparing that to piping in a bit more crowd noise and a rule infraction around acquiring a player (this last one happens or is alleged to have happened it seems like once an offseason) is a bit much.

As far as a long history of "repeated and continuous cheating", this article suggests Spygate was going on for 7 years.  The "Deflategate" (which btw, I hate how we just add "gate" to the end of a word every time there is a controversy) just adds on to this.