[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sobelman's taking over Angelo's spot  (Read 11345 times)

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
Sobelman's taking over Angelo's spot
« on: May 05, 2011, 10:50:45 AM »
Per MU career services twitter account:

http://twitter.com/MUCSCJobs/status/66139537050566656

ITS OFFICAL! Angelos is being taken over by SOBLEMANS!!! AND they are looking for MU Alums to manage the property!!! Check it out on MUCM!!

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: Sobelman's taking over Angelo's spot
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 11:36:30 AM »
Is there any more information regarding when this will happen?  I've heard rumors about this on campus for a couple months now.  Supposedly part of the deal is that there will be a bar but they won't serve all the way up until 2:00 AM.

g0warriors1

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »
of course it wont be open until 2 am....just dumb.....any manager of that place is going to want to fight to stay open as late as possible at that location. Any complying manager would just be dumb, you have any idea how much money and sales would be had keeping the bar open until 2? Cmonnnn, you dont have to be Donald Trump to figure out that business angle....

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »
of course it wont be open until 2 am....just dumb.....any manager of that place is going to want to fight to stay open as late as possible at that location. Any complying manager would just be dumb, you have any idea how much money and sales would be had keeping the bar open until 2? Cmonnnn, you dont have to be Donald Trump to figure out that business angle....

whoa easy tiger.  I think all he was saying was as part of the deal (I assume through the university?) was that they would not stay open til 2am.  I would bet Sobleman's would love to stay open til 2. 

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 12:29:23 PM »
whoa easy tiger.  I think all he was saying was as part of the deal (I assume through the university?) was that they would not stay open til 2am.  I would bet Sobleman's would love to stay open til 2. 

Right.  Again, it's just part of the rumor I've been hearing from other students for the past few months.  But now that it's confirmed that Sobelman's truly will be on campus it'll be interesting to see how much of their soul they had to sell to MU to get that right.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »
Does anyone know if they are closing the one on St. Paul and moving or just opening another one...either way this great news. I origanally heard that Marquette was going to open up a pizza place similar to the way they run the annex and I was skeptical, but this is way better
Bring back FFP!!!

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 12:46:51 PM »
What a great addition to campus.  Best of luck to Dave Sobelman and his organization.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 12:51:40 PM »
here's the twitter tease: http://twitter.com/#!/TeamSobelman/status/66173268029227008

Would love to see this place open until 2 (or later). They wouldn't have to serve until then, just keep the grill open. Hell Dave should probably just drive a food truck/wagon and peddle his delicious burgers across the city.

Sobelmans was never known as a drinking place, I'm interested to see if it becomes a place you close (if it stays open til 2) or its a pregame/first place of the night stop

UpNorthEagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 01:44:22 PM »
I heard this last semester from some people who are working for Marquette and apparently the university asked Sobleman's to move in there.
Not the other way around.  Hopefully that means that they will be able to stay open till two.  Also, the plan is supposed to be for Sobelman's
to move into Angelo's spot and Broken Yolk to move into the vacant spot next to Murphy's.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 03:23:17 PM »
Per the MU Newsbrief:

5. Sobelmans Pub N Grill coming to campus
Marquette students and staff will have a new food option soon when Sobelmans Pub N Grill opens a second location at the southwest corner of 16th and Wells.

Located in the space vacated by Angelo’s Pizza, Sobelmans will feature its signature burgers and specialty pizza options. 

Watch for hours and the official opening date in an upcoming edition of News Briefs!

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 03:34:33 PM »
I think they'll clean up. What other options are there anymore? Chipotle is overpriced and overrated. Broken Yolk is pretty good... but it's breakfast. Real Chili is a good option. Jimmy Johns is awful. The hot dog place is decent. This will be the only real restaurant on campus.

I think most places have a hard go of it during the summer, now that MU almost completely empties itself by summer. Hopefully Sobelman's North can make it work.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 03:58:38 PM »
I think they'll clean up. What other options are there anymore? Chipotle is overpriced and overrated. Broken Yolk is pretty good... but it's breakfast. Real Chili is a good option. Jimmy Johns is awful. The hot dog place is decent. This will be the only real restaurant on campus.

I think most places have a hard go of it during the summer, now that MU almost completely empties itself by summer. Hopefully Sobelman's North can make it work.

If it weren't so astronomically priced I'd agree with the bold. A damn chili is the price of another pitcher nowadays. Thats an easy choice to make.

Oh, and it's Qdoba on campus, not Chipotle, not that there is any difference really. Pretty good, but I agree it's overpriced (although not as expensive as Real Chili)

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 04:07:13 PM »
If it weren't so astronomically priced I'd agree with the bold. A damn chili is the price of another pitcher nowadays. Thats an easy choice to make.

Oh, and it's Qdoba on campus, not Chipotle, not that there is any difference really. Pretty good, but I agree it's overpriced (although not as expensive as Real Chili)

A) Has Real chili become that over priced? I've heard a few mentions of that. Admittedly I haven't been there in ages, but it was always competitive with Gyros and w/e else was around there.

B) Qdoba/Chipotle its all the same. no matter what you get it tastes the same too. The only pro for Qdoba is if you order right you can get something pretty healthy.

C) I like the dog house. Its hard to screw up hot dogs and sausages though. more often than not its the fault of the person ordering. but it was never good enough to make me loyal

D) Sobels north will be the only thing on Wells that could compete with MU Gyros Chicken Bacon Swiss and by compete I mean trounce.

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 04:44:13 PM »
B) Qdoba/Chipotle its all the same. no matter what you get it tastes the same too. The only pro for Qdoba is if you order right you can get something pretty healthy.

This is as dumb as saying Coke and Pepsi are the same. Qdoba doesn't belong in the same sentence as Chipotle.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 04:56:16 PM »
This is as dumb as saying Coke and Pepsi are the same. Qdoba doesn't belong in the same sentence as Chipotle.

This is as dumb as saying miller is great and bud sucks... or vice versa. Fact is, there really is no noticeable difference in the mass produced, sup-par products (burrito or beer). For the record, I like both.

A) Has Real chili become that over priced? I've heard a few mentions of that. Admittedly I haven't been there in ages, but it was always competitive with Gyros and w/e else was around there.

Very overpriced. Getting a small chili can run you $7. Get a medium with cheese and whatnot, you're looking at $10.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:59:10 PM by JimmyB! »

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »

Yea because Chipotle doesn't have queso, or near the menu options of Qdoba.

Qdoba kicks Chipotle's butt

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »
Yea because Chipotle doesn't have queso, or near the menu options of Qdoba.

Qdoba kicks Chipotle's butt

Never had Qdoba but good to hear that there is something out there better than the awful Chipotle.  I am going to visit a Qdoba this weekend on your advice....thanks.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 05:21:38 PM »
make sure to get legendary queso sauce (which of course, chipotle doesn't have) on whatever you get, their guac is really good too if your a fan.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 05:27:40 PM »
Never had Qdoba but good to hear that there is something out there better than the awful Chipotle.  I am going to visit a Qdoba this weekend on your advice....thanks.

If you hate chipotle then you may not like qdoba either. They are very similar.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »

Thanks for the advice....I am going to try it and hopefully it cannot be that awful.  I also do not like spending my money at places that blatantly break the law.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 06:13:21 PM »
This is as dumb as saying miller is great and bud sucks... or vice versa. Fact is, there really is no noticeable difference in the mass produced, sup-par products (burrito or beer). For the record, I like both.

Very overpriced. Getting a small chili can run you $7. Get a medium with cheese and whatnot, you're looking at $10.

Wow, that's crazy. I have only been there once since graduating. Chipotle Qdoba was insanely expensive when that first moved in. Like $9 for a meal.

It's amazing how $10 has become the new $5 for fast food. I hate to do this, but "when I first got to college" (2003) $5 got you a meal pretty much everywhere for fast food. Have we really had 100% food inflation the last 8 years? (I actually wouldn't doubt it.)

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 08:59:26 PM »
Most descriptive article

Opened by next fall, keeping the St. Paul place

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2011/05/05/sobelmans-leasing-former-angelos-space.html

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 12:01:35 AM »

This I'll agree with - the food and flavors are virtually identical, with the exception that Qdoba has queso and Chipotle refuses to serve queso because they can't find an all-natural way to keep cheese at a "queso" consistency without being all-natural.  Not that anyone cares, but that's the big difference between the two (breaking out my Boulder hippy hat...).  If you actually care about eating food that hasn't been fed more antibiotics than grain, then you should probably choose Chipotle.  They try to source as much local food as possible, and buy chicken/pork/beef that didn't need steroids to made it to adulthood (yes, I know, that's a *slight* exaggeration).    Meanwhile, Qdoba...well, they have queso.

Read about Chipotle's ingredients here: http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/fwi/fwi.aspx

(p.s. - despite the rant, I probably eat at Q & C about equally, it's just that I know C uses better "stuff")

On topic, Glad to hear Sobelman's may be coming to campus.  I've actually never had their stuff and would love for it to be around next time I'm in town and around campus.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 12:19:06 AM »

On topic, Glad to hear Sobelman's may be coming to campus.  I've actually never had their stuff and would love for it to be around next time I'm in town and around campus.

Wow...Yeah...you really need to get back to MKE if you've haven't been here since Sobelman's opened...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 01:17:39 AM »
Wow...Yeah...you really need to get back to MKE if you've haven't been here since Sobelman's opened...

Oh, I've been back since they opened, but only heard of them a couple years ago (after this here forum got started), and have only been on quick trips back since.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 07:32:11 AM »
I like antibiotics in my food. I get a good meal and stay safe from ear infections at the same time!

g0warriors1

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 09:34:12 AM »
This is as dumb as saying miller is great and bud sucks...

I must say I stroooongly disagree with you sir. I realize I am a homer being from Milwaukee but for me I cannot stand the taste of Bud, but I will drink Miller all day long...

And now that you said that, I am compelled to do a blind taste test with friends #nobrainer

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 09:38:07 AM »

Both are similar to an enema.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 09:57:11 AM »
I must say I stroooongly disagree with you sir. I realize I am a homer being from Milwaukee but for me I cannot stand the taste of Bud, but I will drink Miller all day long...

And now that you said that, I am compelled to do a blind taste test with friends #nobrainer

Chill some watered down pee and throw that in the mix too while you're at it. 

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »

Blind taste test Bud, miller, coors, pbr, etc... all the usual suspects. I guarantee you will have trouble telling which is which. If I'm at a cheap bar I'll always order miller because of my milwaukee biased, but in terms of taste there is no difference, it's the power of marketing.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2011, 10:18:33 AM »
Blind taste test Bud, miller, coors, pbr, etc... all the usual suspects. I guarantee you will have trouble telling which is which. If I'm at a cheap bar I'll always order miller because of my milwaukee biased, but in terms of taste there is no difference, it's the power of marketing.

Done it. Bud, Miller, Coors are easy. Schlitz, PBR, Blatz not so easy.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 10:19:03 AM »
Chipotle blows away Qdoba. Yes, Qdoba has more options, but Chipotle's got higher quality food. Even more importantly, they don't nickel and dime you for every little thing at Chipotle. I like to get beans and fajita veggies, multiple salsas, cheese, lettuce, and sour cream on my burrito at Chipotle, and it doesn't cost me extra. At Qdoba, it costs an extra $27 (estimated.)

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 10:54:55 AM »
The only think Qdoba charges more for is guac.

My burrito everytime is a chicken queso burrito with black beans, hot salsa, cheese sour cream and guac....only the guac is extra (1.50)

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 11:06:57 AM »
The only think Qdoba charges more for is guac.

My burrito everytime is a chicken queso burrito with black beans, hot salsa, cheese sour cream and guac....only the guac is extra (1.50)

Depends which burrito you get, and what you want on it. I've been charged extra to have 1/2 beans 1/2 fajita veggies, to get 2 different salsas, to get shredded cheese, even to get lettuce. The first 2 don't even require them to include any additional amount of food, just a different combination. And it's not like they're breaking the bank for some scraps of shredded cheese or lettuce.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
Depends which burrito you get, and what you want on it. I've been charged extra to have 1/2 beans 1/2 fajita veggies, to get 2 different salsas, to get shredded cheese, even to get lettuce. The first 2 don't even require them to include any additional amount of food, just a different combination. And it's not like they're breaking the bank for some scraps of shredded cheese or lettuce.

But you're being a real pain ordering your food that way.  I'd charge you more too in hopes you didn't come back.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 12:56:29 PM »
But you're being a real pain ordering your food that way.  I'd charge you more too in hopes you didn't come back.

Touche. I don't ask for all those things at the same time. That'd be annoying.
But if I'm working my way down the line and ask if I can get some lettuce on my burrito and get told either "no" or "it's 50 cents extra," well that strikes me as stupid. I've gotten both of those responses.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 02:43:55 PM »
Touche. I don't ask for all those things at the same time. That'd be annoying.
But if I'm working my way down the line and ask if I can get some lettuce on my burrito and get told either "no" or "it's 50 cents extra," well that strikes me as stupid. I've gotten both of those responses.

It's probably important to note that most of the people who work at the one on campus aren't necessarily the best and brightest around.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2011, 01:01:42 AM »
It's probably important to note that most of the people who work at the one on campus aren't necessarily the best and brightest around.

I think you give them too much credit.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2011, 07:43:56 AM »
I like antibiotics in my food. I get a good meal and stay safe from ear infections at the same time!

other people refer to those as "the boys"  you get a lot of infections do ya? lifestyle change... ;D

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 09:10:06 AM »
There was a sign on the door Friday night (was removed by Saturday afternoon) that said they would be opening today, contrary to what was said in the MU newsbriefs below.

Sobelmans Pub N Grill will open Sobelman's@Marquette Friday, Aug. 26. The restaurant will operate out of the space vacated by Angelo’s Pizza at the southwest corner of 16th and Wells, and will offer burgers, sandwiches and appetizers. Hours of operation will be from 11 a.m. to midnight Monday to Saturday and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday. Hours are expected to expand after the restaurant is granted a liquor license, which is anticipated in September, according to Dave Sobelman, owner of Sobelmans.

And a reminder that in November Marquette students and staff will have another new food option when the Broken Yolk opens a second location at 1617 W. Wells St.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2011, 10:29:52 AM »
There was a sign on the door Friday night (was removed by Saturday afternoon) that said they would be opening today, contrary to what was said in the MU newsbriefs below.

Huh. I figured they were opening on Friday to avoid the complete effing insanity that is Freshman move in day.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2011, 10:34:43 AM »
Huh. I figured they were opening on Friday to avoid the complete effing insanity that is Freshman move in day.

There was early dorm move-in yesterday (just moving crap into the room but they don't let the students stay there yet) and freshman/transfers will move in Wednesday and begin orientation.  By opening today it should give them a few days with lighter business to work out the kinks before the majority of the student body returns this weekend.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2011, 11:02:42 AM »
There was early dorm move-in yesterday (just moving crap into the room but they don't let the students stay there yet) and freshman/transfers will move in Wednesday and begin orientation.  By opening today it should give them a few days with lighter business to work out the kinks before the majority of the student body returns this weekend.

Early movein is also today and tomorrow, so they'll definitely be a good number of people w/ students and parents on campus. RA's and O-staff are also already on campus.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2011, 11:15:51 AM »
Someone told me that Dave Sobelman bought Angelo's pizza receipe and will be making pizza as well as their usual stuff. I have no idea if this is true, but thought one of you might...any one know?

Also if this is true then they need to work out an agreement for the lasagna stick receipe, those thing were amazing.
Bring back FFP!!!

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2011, 11:21:32 AM »
Someone told me that Dave Sobelman bought Angelo's pizza receipe and will be making pizza as well as their usual stuff. I have no idea if this is true, but thought one of you might...any one know?

Also if this is true then they need to work out an agreement for the lasagna stick receipe, those thing were amazing.

Dave gained access to the recipes when he signed the lease: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/123036503.html

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2011, 06:25:33 AM »

Right, I just figured dealing with all 2000 freshmen and their families on your 3rd day of operation isn't a great idea, that's all.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle