[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Epic Collapse Signifies Poor Coaching - Wojo Embraces Inconsistency Again  (Read 13961 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Epic Collapse Signifies Poor Coaching - Wojo Embraces Inconsistency Again
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 07:00:31 PM »
You have nothing interesting or poignant to say backed with an intelligent defense, so it really doesn't matter.  Continue being Brand Boring.  There will always be a a loaf of store brand white bread on the shelf.

White bread is gross.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 07:02:36 PM »
Hey Mike...the NIT is progress don't you know?? We should be proud of that in Wojo's third year..after what he was left with!  ::) I'll have brew come along and explain it to you...he's the leader of the NIT is progress band.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 07:04:40 PM »
Really a pretty bad OP.  The defense was not that bad tonite.  They lost this game for two very very simple reasons.

1. They missed prolly 10 wide open looks in the last 5 minutes.  Should wojo shoot an uncontested 6 footer for Sam? Etc.

2. Personnel, this team has no true 4.  Even when we have a 5 in the game we have no 4.  So during the final stretch we had no 4 or 5 on the court and we could not finish defensive possessions. 

Blame Wojo if you would like for no 4, but help is on the way in that area and kids have to make shots.  To wojos creditwe ran clock, moved the ball, and simply missed wide open shot after wide open shot. 

We only gave up 73 on the day and thats pretty good for this group.
I agree, I've been hard on Wojo but this one's not on him. The opportunities were there, kids didn't finish today and it wasn't for lack of effort. Disappointing but actually don't feel too bad about it. I think we have a shot to get the last 2, Xavier and Creighton aren't playing well right now.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:09:20 PM by Anti-Dentite »
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2017, 07:11:08 PM »
I actually kind of agree.  I wanted to fire wojo after Georgetown, and I'm not happy about today, but I actually think we are going to be ok, with Wojo.

Strangest dam thing, I actually am starting to believe despite today's loss.

Of course, if Wojo has any success (the only Duke assistant to do anything), he's gone . . .

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2017, 07:13:29 PM »
Really a pretty bad OP.  The defense was not that bad tonite.  They lost this game for two very very simple reasons.

1. They missed prolly 10 wide open looks in the last 5 minutes.  Should wojo shoot an uncontested 6 footer for Sam? Etc.

2. Personnel, this team has no true 4.  Even when we have a 5 in the game we have no 4.  So during the final stretch we had no 4 or 5 on the court and we could not finish defensive possessions. 

Blame Wojo if you would like for no 4, but help is on the way in that area and kids have to make shots.  To wojos creditwe ran clock, moved the ball, and simply missed wide open shot after wide open shot. 

Personnel issue is on Wojo.  We won plenty of games by not having any true 4's or 5's when Buzz was here because he could coach defense well.  We shot 55% from 3 point range. That's more than enough to win any game.  Providence shot 58% from the free throw line which is a disaster.  MU blew this game.  15 turnovers is inexcusable.  There are just too many glaring weaknesses on the coaching level here. The team lacks discipline  concerning fundamentals of defense, protecting the ball, boxing out, etc.  Not sure why you like Wojo so much.  All of the warning signs are in plain view.

We only gave up 73 on the day and thats pretty good for this group.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2017, 07:18:58 PM »
Hey Mike...the NIT is progress don't you know?? We should be proud of that in Wojo's third year..after what he was left with!  ::) I'll have brew come along and explain it to you...he's the leader of the NIT is progress band.

Hey fairweather whiner, is the NIT better than the tournament we played in last year?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2017, 07:20:57 PM »
Hey fairweather whiner, is the NIT better than the tournament we played in last year?

No.  This program is above the NIT and you should be as well.  Seems as if there's a lot of people who hold the bar low here.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2017, 07:25:01 PM »
No.  This program is above the NIT and you should be as well.  Seems as if there's a lot of people who hold the bar low here.

You can't be Mike Deane. He built his career on the NIT.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2017, 07:34:21 PM »

Ding Ding Ding!!! Mike gets it...not many of us do here, but some of us do. Brew likes him some NIT, doesn't hold the MU program to very high standards, and calls out anyone that says anything even remotely negative about where this program is currently, and has concerns about where they are headed. He's one of those "there's always next year" type of guys. Oh well. Can't fix passionless. You either have it or you don't.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2017, 07:37:25 PM »

For you it is...you enjoy mediocrity. For those of us that aspire for MU to be great..we have higher standards for the program we are passionate about. NIT=Not in tournament(NCAA). No tournament or NIT same thing..no one knows or cares who is in the NIT. NIT is for losers, a consolation tournament for programs that aren't good enough to be in the dance.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2017, 07:38:29 PM »
Can't fix passionless. You either have it or you don't.

Hah.  You need to drop it.  Brew is anything but passionless.  You don't get that many posts here by being passionless.  I'm certain he wants MU to make the NCAA this year, we all do. Except maybe you because you say we don't deserve it?

But he also understands we didn't make the NIT last year.  If we make it this year, that is the very definition of progress.  Not the progress any of us were hoping for, but progress nonetheless.

Everything else is you just spouting nonsense.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2017, 07:41:23 PM »
Teams in the NIT are still better than teams that are in neither the NCAA or NIT.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2017, 07:50:56 PM »
Hah.  You need to drop it.  Brew is anything but passionless.  You don't get that many posts here by being passionless.  I'm certain he wants MU to make the NCAA this year, we all do. Except maybe you because you say we don't deserve it?

But he also understands we didn't make the NIT last year.  If we make it this year, that is the very definition of progress.  Not the progress any of us were hoping for, but progress nonetheless.

Brew might have passion...fine. But what irritates me is his always positive view on everything. You HAVE to be able to criticize when warranted and commend when warranted, that's called being consistent. He doesn't seem to have it in him to ever criticize...anything. And no I don't mean calling out individual players(that's crossing the line). Further, I just don't get how anyone cannot have concerns where this program is headed..Unless your head has completely been in the sand for the last 3 years, there are DEFINITELY reasons to be concerned where the program is headed. That's pretty obvious. Yet very view every voice that. I don't know if it's "shtick" for some of you on message boards to be the "all is okay" type and privately you have concerns or what. But either way, if someone doesn't...I'd be concerned.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2017, 07:54:53 PM »

Progress in minute amounts for a program that is top 5 in spending on its basketball program is good for you? 

Shame!!!!!!!  Ring the Shame Bell !!!!!!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2017, 08:00:09 PM »
Progress in minute amounts for a program that is top 5 in spending on its basketball program is good for you? 

No shame in progress.  IF (still an if, so stop pretending it's true) we miss the NCAAs, MU is definitely a NIT team.  And I'd be happy to see the team in the postseason again.

reasons to be concerned where the program is headed.

I am concerned about MUs defense, and I'd be shocked if anyone isn't.  But there's potential for that getting better to.  Concerned where the program is headed?  They've been better each year of wojo's tenure, so that seems like a silly statement.  Improve the defense, and I'm optimistic.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2017, 08:11:40 PM »
Brew might have passion...fine. But what irritates me is his always positive view on everything. You HAVE to be able to criticize when warranted and commend when warranted, that's called being consistent. He doesn't seem to have it in him to ever criticize...anything. And no I don't mean calling out individual players(that's crossing the line). Further, I just don't get how anyone cannot have concerns where this program is headed..Unless your head has completely been in the sand for the last 3 years, there are DEFINITELY reasons to be concerned where the program is headed. That's pretty obvious. Yet very view every voice that. I don't know if it's "shtick" for some of you on message boards to be the "all is okay" type and privately you have concerns or what. But either way, if someone doesn't...I'd be concerned.

If you can't see the direction of the program and what Wojo is trying to do, then I guess you don't know as much about basketball as you like to claim. Certainly not more than I do. And I'm not claiming to be some basketball genius, but it's pretty clear.

Offense built on quality shooters. Playing low turnover, efficient possession, extra pass basketball. Spacing the floor and lots of guys that can shoot.

Defense primarily man, with the ability to adapt when necessary. Getting longer at every position. Rim protectors in the middle, long athletes on the wing.

I don't know if it will work, but the template is really obvious. At it's best, we see results like Vanderbilt, Georgia, Creighton, Villanova, and Xavier. But because the roster isn't there yet, because some of those pieces are 1-2 years away, we see the inconsistencies of Pittsburgh, Seton Hall (both), and Providence where we are in good shape and can't hold on.

Crying won't change those results and won't make it better. I support the team no matter the end result. And I'm patient enough to give Wojo a chance to implement his blueprint. If it doesn't work, it will eventually need to be addressed, but we're still years away from knowing conclusively.

SlowJoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2017, 08:12:38 PM »
Hate to say this, but Kentucky was in the NIT a few years ago, and they hold their team to a high standard like Marquette does.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2017, 09:27:05 PM »

Ding Ding Ding!!! Mike gets it...not many of us do here, but some of us do. Brew likes him some NIT, doesn't hold the MU program to very high standards, and calls out anyone that says anything even remotely negative about where this program is currently, and has concerns about where they are headed. He's one of those "there's always next year" type of guys. Oh well. Can't fix passionless. You either have it or you don't.

Brew and everyone here should like the NIT more than no tournament.  That is progress.  I'd rather be improving, which we have been under him than the other way around.  Have we arrived where you and all of us want to be?  That's a different question, but some of you have timelines that may not marry to the realities of where we are.

You, Mike, Fred, others.  Think for one second if Hauser's three pointer goes in, and we win? Or if Hauser gets the foul call at the end and we win?   One play, but a victory instead of a loss.   You and others wouldn't even be here right now, and we all would be talking about whether we have a shot for maybe an 8 or 9 seed.  One play.  Think about it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2017, 09:38:46 PM »
Brew and everyone here should like the NIT more than no tournament.  That is progress.  I'd rather be improving, which we have been under him than the other way around.  Have we arrived where you and all of us want to be?  That's a different question, but some of you have timelines that may not marry to the realities of where we are.

You, Mike, Fred, others.  Think for one second if Hauser's three pointer goes in, and we win? Or if Hauser gets the foul call at the end and we win?   One play, but a victory instead of a loss.   You and others wouldn't even be here right now, and we all would be talking about whether we have a shot for maybe an 8 or 9 seed.  One play.  Think about it.
Here was the press conferences of the two coaches. One guy was happy and the other not so much. Every possession a war in the Big East . Difference between success and failure is a fine line.

http://friarbasketball.com/2017/02/26/post-game-press-conferences-marquette/

Also worth noting that Cooley feels the Dunkin Donuts center is a big home court advantage.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:44:47 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2017, 09:49:29 PM »

That's the point though...good teams don't fold down the stretch like that. And it hasn't been just this game, it was the blown large second half lead against Pitt, the blown 18 pt lead at Butler, the failing to secure a rebound of a FT(twice) at Seton Hall that cost them the game, PC at home, Butler at home,  then today. I mean at some point during the year you want to see progress in that area..something that says "okay, they have learned how to win the tight games", but they haven't. In fact, if anything they have learned new ways to throw them away. So it isn't one play, it's been several, in the same situations(tight games), and they have lost them all. That should be very concerning to most everyone. And yes, one play a victory rather then a loss, but they weren't victories, that's the problem.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2017, 10:37:24 PM »
I hate to say it, but you're righ.t
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2017, 12:46:12 AM »
Kind of weird, I was all for firing Wojo after the embarrassment that was the Georgetown game.  Now, I am not so sure.

I actually saw some development in Heldt and Rowsey.  Howard is a talent, but I haven't seen the development in Hauser, and I am wondering about Johnson and Cheatham?

It's a NIT team, which is not where the Warriors should be in year 3 of Wojo's tenure.  However, I see some hope.

Sam disappeared today.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2017, 12:49:55 AM »
Scoop loooovee mediocrity. You'd think this was a George Mason or Memphis board if you didn't know any better.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2017, 01:47:33 AM »
I'm wondering where the narrative that we played defense today is coming from? This was one of our best eFG% defense games of the conference season.

We lost today because of, in order:

1. Offensive Rebounding
2. Free Throw Disparity
3. Turnovers
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2017, 05:31:09 AM »
I'm wondering where the narrative that we played defense today is coming from? This was one of our best eFG% defense games of the conference season.

We lost today because of, in order:

1. Offensive Rebounding
2. Free Throw Disparity
3. Turnovers

right on!      for this game-the difference between good/bad defense was the interpretation...by the referees.    good, aggressive hustle and a foul.  a lot of contact underneath, good position, blocking out and...a foul. 

how many of the turnovers were created by the players uncertainty of their footing?  not wanting to blow out a knee or tear a groiner...in the back of their minds. 

yes, many excuses, but this game came down to just a few plays...on the road.  we aren't that far off here.  there certainly has been progress...we need a solid "cement mixer" 4, but he probably would have fouled out today as well  :'(
don't...don't don't don't don't