[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What will it take to get the NIT  (Read 26322 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: What will it take to get the NIT
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2015, 08:58:27 PM »
You are entitled to you opinion. You will also be very frustrated if you apply that same logic to your goals. Only one can win it all so in essence, other than being that one person or team, you will ultimately be disappointed. With that disappointment  the ability/desire to strive for being number one after moderate successes or, in your opinion failures (I.e. NIT), will doom you to ultimate failure. Winners get there one step at a time, enjoying small successes along the way while striving for the ultimate golden ring.  Failure is the prelude to success and to be more determined after failure is the measure of a potential winner.

7-0 - NCAA Bubble (dreamin')
5-2 - NIT Bubble (still kinda dreamin')

I would love to watch MU in the NIT this year, and probably would watch the CBI but would be far from excited about it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2015, 09:05:57 PM »
The team that played in the Arena was the '94-95 team coached by Mike Deane.  It was a transition year (not unlike 2014-15) after KO and three big seniors left.  That NIT run set the table for some nice NCAA teams the next several seasons.  Obviously, everyone in the program is going to work as hard as they can to win every game, but if there is any light at the end of the tunnel for a post-season tournament, it would be a great reward for the players, and certainly help build momentum into 2015-16.

Thanks for the correction.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2015, 09:09:51 PM »
Time and situation matter.

If we think the NIT is lame, then take down the NIT banners.....

When we were runner up in 1967 and champions in 1970 the NIT was anything but lame. Since 64, 66 or 68 teams started getting in the real tournament it is. Any NIT banners since then (especially non championship ones) are a joke and should come down.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2015, 09:18:35 PM »

I would love to watch MU in the NIT this year, and probably would watch the CBI but would be far from excited about it.

Understood but it gives a team or an individual sufficient hope that there is progress and, therefore, the incentive to work harder. With incremental goals being met they get the energy to move to the next level of sacrifice to obtain the next goal.

As a fan, well, we are just passengers on the observation ballon. We sacrifice very little to watch someone's struggle for success. We also do not fully understand their feeling of success after years of struggle. What you saw when Al cried after the national championship may give you and idea. All I can say is the struggle are memories over many years while the win is just a beautiful, precious moment. In a way both memories are fulfilling.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Class71

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2015, 09:35:12 PM »

When we were runner up in 1967 and champions in 1970 the NIT was anything but lame. Since 64, 66 or 68 teams started getting in the real tournament it is. Any NIT banners since then (especially non championship ones) are a joke and should come down.

Sure, the bar of the NIT is lower than in the past but using that same logic obtaining an NCAA bid with more than 32 teams is lower than in the past but we still want one. The bar is lower for both goals but both help a team along the path to the ultimate prize. We all need intermediate goals to obtain that ultimate prize. Try to reach success without them, it doesn't work.

⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2015, 09:36:57 PM »
Understood but it gives a team or an individual sufficient hope that there is progress and, therefore, the incentive to work harder. With incremental goals being met they get the energy to move to the next level of sacrifice to obtain the next goal.

As a fan, well, we are just passengers on the observation ballon. We sacrifice very little to watch someone's struggle for success. We also do not fully understand their feeling of success after years of struggle. What you saw when Al cried after the national championship may give you and idea. All I can say is the struggle are memories over many years while the win is just a beautiful, precious moment. In a way both memories are fulfilling.

Sorry, wasn't disagreeing with you and actually didn't mean to quote your post.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2015, 09:45:44 PM »
Sorry, wasn't disagreeing with you and actually didn't mean to quote your post.

No worries, I can only talk about my own experiences and try to generalize to other situations. All I can say are sometimes small successes and failures early on and how we respond to them have a major impact on obtaining those longer term objectives. One thing is clear, however, great successes demand great sacrifices.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2015, 10:36:29 PM »

I'd watch the boyz if they make the NIT, but I'm never going to say in a casual conversation with a fellow hoops fan that my team is "on the NIT bubble."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2015, 11:01:29 PM »
I would be very pleased to see the team qualify for the NIT. There are always very good teams in the field, and even more so this year. Winning the tournament or getting to the  final requires a very strong effort. It is also a nice springboard into the next season. It would really help our younger players to play in the tournament. Yes we always strive for the NCAA but this year the NIT is a very worthwhile and laudable goal.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2015, 11:30:32 PM »
Hoping for the CBI at this point. Would be valuable post season experience for the younger guys
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2015, 12:09:39 AM »
Hoping for the CBI at this point. Would be valuable post season experience for the younger guys
Agreed and If we got in and won it there is some merit. Would add 5 wins to record. More important 5 more games of coaching experience for the coach.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2015, 09:51:30 AM »
Thanks for the correction.

Crean had the 2004 run to the Quarterfinals where we lost to Iowa State, maybe that popped in as being the deep run under TC?

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »
It feels like getting out of the first weekend of the tournament for 3 years in a row was a decade ago with how long these last two seasons have been, especially if we have no post season for a second straight year.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2015, 10:28:17 AM »
It feels like getting out of the first weekend of the tournament for 3 years in a row was a decade ago with how long these last two seasons have been, especially if we have no post season for a second straight year.
Thanks to the phony downhome hillbilly. Thanks Burt!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2015, 10:33:10 AM »
I'd be very surprised if they aren't favored by a point or two on Tuesday. Also would expect the same against Depaul and St. John's. Keep in mind, we we were very close to and likely should have beaten butler and gtown at home in addition to beating providence. That's 3 of the top 4 teams in the league. Vegas will have us a 1 or 2 point favorite even without carlino

It's possible, typically vegas doesn't move far from kenpom predictions. Depaul is the only game MU is predicted to win. Although the St John's game is only a 1 point loss at home, so may get benefit as a 1 point favorite. I doubt we're favored at Creighton, Kenpom has Creighton by 2, pick em at best. There is a reason they lose close games, they aren't deep and can't consistently score down the stretch.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2015, 10:33:20 AM »
Crean had the 2004 run to the Quarterfinals where we lost to Iowa State, maybe that popped in as being the deep run under TC?

I remember that too. I'm just recalling how much fun it was to play tournament games in a packed arena like back in my day.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2015, 10:36:47 AM »
It's possible, typically vegas doesn't move far from kenpom predictions. Depaul is the only game MU is predicted to win. Although the St John's game is only a 1 point loss at home, so may get benefit as a 1 point favorite. I doubt we're favored at Creighton, Kenpom has Creighton by 2, pick em at best. There is a reason they lose close games, they aren't deep and can't consistently score down the stretch.

I'll go check over at the Red Rock sports book and let you boys know.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2015, 11:08:18 AM »

I agree. Though honestly I think we should just have a single banner showing tournament years. I have one in my room that was from the AL (goes to 2008) that shows every NCAA and NIT year. I think that'd be a nice banner to have in the Bradley
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2015, 11:21:05 AM »
Let me see, for us to get to the NIT, we will have to be near-perfect in the rest of the regular season and win at least one of our BE tournament games.

That means we'll have to beat Villanova at home, Butler, Providence and Creighton on the road and make sure we do not slip against St. John's and Depaul at home.

How many of you people really think based on what we've seen this year, we can do this? I'd like to think we could, but this is a VERY, VERY tall order.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2015, 11:28:45 AM »
I agree. Though honestly I think we should just have a single banner showing tournament years. I have one in my room that was from the AL (goes to 2008) that shows every NCAA and NIT year. I think that'd be a nice banner to have in the Bradley

I thought we did have one at the Bradley Center or did it get taken down when they changed the banners a few years ago? Been a while since I have been to a game in Milwaukee. I agree that only NIT championship banners should go up, but I have no problem with a special Final Four banner since it is quite an accomplishment to make it that far let alone win it as was mentioned in another thread about the late Dean Smith, 11 trips, only 2 championships.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2015, 11:51:04 AM »
Let me see, for us to get to the NIT, we will have to be near-perfect in the rest of the regular season and win at least one of our BE tournament games.

That means we'll have to beat Villanova at home, Butler, Providence and Creighton on the road and make sure we do not slip against St. John's and Depaul at home.

How many of you people really think based on what we've seen this year, we can do this? I'd like to think we could, but this is a VERY, VERY tall order.

I mean, if we're going to win those 6 we might as well just win at home against Xavier and one in the BET to get in the NCAA tournament.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2015, 01:09:32 PM »
I thought we did have one at the Bradley Center or did it get taken down when they changed the banners a few years ago? Been a while since I have been to a game in Milwaukee. I agree that only NIT championship banners should go up, but I have no problem with a special Final Four banner since it is quite an accomplishment to make it that far let alone win it as was mentioned in another thread about the late Dean Smith, 11 trips, only 2 championships.

There is a banner at the Bradley Center that lists all NCAA and NIT appearances that includes the year. Im cool with championship and F4 banners.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2015, 02:40:18 PM »

It is a very tall order, but I wouldn't call it impossible specifically because of what we've seen this year. This team has fought all the way in every game. Nova was the only team that actually seemed to outclass us.

Was the Seton Hall win much different than the games at Xavier, St John's, or at home against Georgetown or Butler? The only difference was finally getting over that last 4 minute hump and winning.

I don't think we will go the 5-2 we need for the NIT or the 4-3 we probably need for the CBI, but I do believe we are capable of it. Hell, had we held on against DePaul, Xavier, St John's, Georgetown, and Butler we'd be discussing NCAA seeding. This team has been in position to win. It's unlikely they'll make postseason play, but based on what we've seen, there's no reason to doubt their capability.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2015, 02:51:42 PM »
Based on my math.

To go 5-2 or better, there is a 2.5% chance.
To go 4-3 or better, there is a 10% chance.

The most likely scenario (52%) is that MU wins two more games, finishing at 13-17.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:00:02 PM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2015, 03:07:49 PM »
Based on my math.

To go 5-2 or better, there is a 2.5% chance.
To go 4-3 or better, there is a 10% chance.

The most likely scenario (52%) is that MU wins two more games, finishing at 13-17.

13-17, huh? That coupled with last year's 17-15....Hmmm.....thank you Bert!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback