[May 19, 2024, 06:23:47 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Schedule Talk with Mike Broeker by Shooter McGavin
[May 19, 2024, 01:06:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer You Were Most Sad To See Leave  (Read 24450 times)

Nevada233

• All American
Re: Transfer You Were Most Sad To See Leave
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 11:48:21 AM »

More than Jamil?  (Cause that was the choice.)

Jamil averaged 4 frosh, 7 soph, 9 junior and 11 senior points a game in his career.

I'll take DJ, plus Jamil was not a leader at all....

Last year I couldn't tell who was the Freshmen Him, JuJuan, Deonte, John or Duane...

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 11:51:57 AM »
One of the most recent ones bums me out the most because it would impact this year's team. I've posted this a few times, but just wait until Jameel McKay comes on the scene at Iowa State later this year. He could have really helped us this year and last. He is a great "running" big man who is an athletic freak. I was talking to a former MU big man who knows him well and his response, "he's a pro,  no doubt about it." I agree and think he definitely has a shot at the NBA, but definitely high level international. He reminds me of a taller, lankier, higher-motor Jamil.  I don't have any inside info on the topic, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Dawson transfer at some point. Apparently Wally is really making an impression with motor, attitude and team-first approach. I wasn't high on him based on my limited viewing of his game, so this is nice to hear.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 11:52:06 AM »
Jamil averaged 4 frosh, 7 soph, 9 junior and 11 senior points a game in his career.

I'll take DJ, plus Jamil was not a leader at all....

POINTS!!!!

DJ's not getting the shots or minutes at MU that he's gotten at So Miss and PSU.

How do you know Jamil was not a leader? How do you know Newbill IS a leader?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 11:57:29 AM »
Yeah Newbill seems like a volume shooter on a team without a great deal of talent.

Their EFG% is about the same.  Jamil is better at rebounds and assists - DJ has a A/T ratio below 1 too.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 11:59:04 AM »
Carlton Christian

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 12:00:31 PM »
POINTS!!!!

DJ's not getting the shots or minutes at MU that he's gotten at So Miss and PSU.

How do you know Jamil was not a leader? How do you know Newbill IS a leader?

Hey dont shoot the Messenger.....

"Two seasons ago Crowder, a similar player in style to Wilson, laid and built Marquette’s foundation on being the heart and soul of the team — Williams’ words, not mine. And if Williams truly wants to get back to where his team was built, that’s the best place to start.

Wilson doesn’t need to be Jae Crowder. Marquette will be successful even if Wilson isn’t the conference’s best player who receives All-American votes and is drafted the following June. He needs to be Marquette’s heart and soul and make the players around him better. Jamil Wilson is very good. He needs to be great.
It’s within his skill set, maturity and the trust Williams and his teammates have in him.

Jamil Wilson isn’t Marquette’s problem, but he’s the one player who can fix them."

Did this happen? No.....

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 12:03:42 PM »

"Two seasons ago Crowder, a similar player in style to Wilson, laid and built Marquette’s foundation on being the heart and soul of the team — Williams’ words, not mine. And if Williams truly wants to get back to where his team was built, that’s the best place to start.

Wilson doesn’t need to be Jae Crowder. Marquette will be successful even if Wilson isn’t the conference’s best player who receives All-American votes and is drafted the following June. He needs to be Marquette’s heart and soul and make the players around him better. Jamil Wilson is very good. He needs to be great.
It’s within his skill set, maturity and the trust Williams and his teammates have in him.

Jamil Wilson isn’t Marquette’s problem, but he’s the one player who can fix them."

Did this happen? No.....

But Newbill would have fixed MU's problems?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »

Did this happen? No.....

So because Jamil didn't live up to expectations, he is less valuable?  You should judge the players versus one another and the options in front of them.  Not versus our expectations.

Furthermore, Newbill would have been a back up to Blue most of his career at MU.  Starting only last year.  There was not a replacement for Jamil.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 12:08:36 PM »
This is going to end well.

Cue Ners and talking DWill in 3, 2, 1...

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »
Mbakwe.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 12:14:18 PM »

So because Jamil didn't live up to expectations, he is less valuable?  You should judge the players versus one another and the options in front of them.  Not versus our expectations.

Furthermore, Newbill would have been a back up to Blue most of his career at MU.  Starting only last year.  There was not a replacement for Jamil.

Lets Digress..... Jamil did good, Newbill did good... The End

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 12:16:56 PM »
DJ NEWBILL When his scholarship got transferred to the shredder in Berts office.....

That kid has averaged 17.9 ppg for all 3 years in college and is still "The Goods."

We could sure use him this year as a Senior.

Pretty sure he would halve been a senior last year had he stayed at MU.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 12:20:05 PM »

I don't think Buzz felt that he compromised anything.
Sultan slurp/defending the phony one. The beat goes on.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 12:21:55 PM »

"Aye, there's the rub..."

Precisely the point with Bert. Having said which, college basketball is a business. Some enterprises choose to manage their people a la Bert. I am thankful that higher authority was resolute in their discomfort with many aspects of how Bert chose to run the daily operations. A case study in minimizing exposure by getting the problem to opt out.

Death on call

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2014, 12:30:22 PM »
Jamel McKay since we have no height this year, they could have used him right now, probably start as the center, right he did not want to play that position, that is why he left.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 12:33:09 PM »
"Aye, there's the rub..."

Precisely the point with Bert. Having said which, college basketball is a business. Some enterprises choose to manage their people a la Bert. I am thankful that higher authority was resolute in their discomfort with many aspects of how Bert chose to run the daily operations. A case study in minimizing exposure by getting the problem to opt out.
Keefe--how dare you imply that Buzz was stealthily shown the door. The Buzz lovers will not be happy with that analysis.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 12:37:44 PM »
DJ NEWBILL When his scholarship got transferred to the shredder in Berts office.....

That kid has averaged 17.9 ppg for all 3 years in college and is still "The Goods."

We could sure use him this year as a Senior.

Agree.  The Creaned equivalent, Damian Saunders, would be the next one on my list.  Averaged 13.6 ppg/8.9 rpg his sophomore-senior years while playing as an undersized five for Duquesne.

Well, that seems to fit...  :P

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2014, 12:38:21 PM »
Odartey Blankson.

I understand the concerns about whether we'd have made the Final Four in 2003 - a question to which we'll never know the answer.  Chemistry would have been different, but the overall talent level would have been higher.  And his minutes would have come primarily from Sanders, not Novak.  Steve would have been our designated 3-point bomber regardless of who started.  In any event, it's pretty safe to suspect that we would have been very successful that season.

And we almost certainly would have had a better season in 2003-04.  Instead, we had a 19-12 season that ended in the NIT.  

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2014, 12:41:18 PM »
Jamel McKay since we have no height this year, they could have used him right now, probably start as the center, right he did not want to play that position, that is why he left.

If theres one thing we learned so far with Wojo though, its that there are no real set positions. Heck, there was a lineup the other day with Carlino, Derrick and Duane.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2014, 12:44:21 PM »
Someone please help me out here, where did ODB transfer to and what was the reasoning?
Bring back FFP!!!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2014, 12:47:38 PM »
Someone please help me out here, where did ODB transfer to and what was the reasoning?

1. UNLV
2. He wanted to be the man.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2014, 12:50:40 PM »
And ODB averaged 17.6 and 10.2 as a junior; and 17.5 and 8.1 as a senior.  First team all-MWC both years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2014, 12:54:17 PM »
Sultan slurp/defending the phony one. The beat goes on.

Didn't defend him.  Merely said what I thought his mindset was.

Seriously, how do you function in life with so little reading comprehension ability?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2014, 12:55:48 PM »
Not ODB.  Loved him, but he would have changed the makeup of that Final 4 team in 2003.  Not a knock on him, but things would have been different.  As an earlier postyer noted, Novak might not have been in  position to do what he did in the NCAAs.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2014, 01:09:18 PM »
Odartey Blankson.

I understand the concerns about whether we'd have made the Final Four in 2003 - a question to which we'll never know the answer.  Chemistry would have been different, but the overall talent level would have been higher.  And his minutes would have come primarily from Sanders, not Novak.  Steve would have been our designated 3-point bomber regardless of who started.  In any event, it's pretty safe to suspect that we would have been very successful that season.

And we almost certainly would have had a better season in 2003-04.  Instead, we had a 19-12 season that ended in the NIT.  
ODB would've taken Townsend's minutes.

feedback