[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire Gard  (Read 15515 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Fire Gard
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2018, 10:30:07 AM »
It's very possible that Deonte's decision was primarily because of his mother's passing. But that only explains one of Wojo's 4 mid-season transfers, and that's the bigger concern to me. Maybe Deonte leaves due to a very legitimate non-basketball reason and then that plants a seed in the head of others, creating an ugly domino effect. Could be. I won't rule that out.

But then again, you know the old saying "where there's smoke, there's fire?" Could also very well be true here.

I've never really thought about the motivations of the other four because I don't think they were cut out for basketball at this level.  They all transferred down.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2018, 10:30:34 AM »
I've assumed this the whole time. I'm not sure this is necessarily proof of why he left, but it does make sense. Obviously there is a ton of PR at this level of basketball, and it's rare to hear the full story of why a kid or a coach leaves a program.

We know guys transfer in today's college game, but mid-season transfers are much more rare. If Wojo had lost 1 guy mid-season, I may buy the PR fluff that comes out when the decision is made. But he's lost 3 or 4 guys now, right? Maybe there have been several very unique events that led to a mid-season decision. But what seems more likely is that something was off about the way Wojo was dealing with these guys.

Despite the elitist Scoop Intelligencia trying to shout you down for voicing opposition to Boy Wonder, keep posting.  You make many good points here.  The Scoop Intelligencia wants you to believe:

1) Wojo is good coach who "just needs some time to grow into the role."
2) Wojo carries no responsibility for players leaving the program.
3) To #respecttheprocess
4) Wojo is handcuffed because he "doesn't have all his guys."
5) Wait until Wojo has "all his guys," then the magic Power Point results will manifest (even though we took a step back in Year 4 with all his guys.)

Deonte's Mom passed early October.  He had a full month to decide to leave MU before the season started and subjecting himself to burning potential eligibility, by playing in games at MU 1st semester.  Instead, he stuck around, only to find out Wojo didn't like him as a player and as a result burned a year of eligibility.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2018, 10:31:44 AM »
It's very possible that Deonte's decision was primarily because of his mother's passing. But that only explains one of Wojo's 4 mid-season transfers, and that's the bigger concern to me. Maybe Deonte leaves due to a very legitimate non-basketball reason and then that plants a seed in the head of others, creating an ugly domino effect. Could be. I won't rule that out.

But then again, you know the old saying "where there's smoke, there's fire?" Could also very well be true here.

Very easy to figure out the others.

Haanif (decent player, family issues, transferred closer to home, was granted waiver to play right away at FGCU)

Sandy (Not good enough to play at the BE level)

Dawson (Not good enough to play at the BE level)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2018, 10:33:11 AM »
Despite the elitist Scoop Intelligencia trying to shout you down for voicing opposition to Boy Wonder, keep posting.  You make many good points here.  The Scoop Intelligencia wants you to believe:

1) Wojo is good coach who "just needs some time to grow into the role."
2) Wojo carries no responsibility for players leaving the program.
3) To #respecttheprocess
4) Wojo is handcuffed because he "doesn't have all his guys."
5) Wait until Wojo has "all his guys," then the magic Power Point results will manifest (even though we took a step back in Year 4 with all his guys.)

Deonte's Mom passed early October.  He had a full month to decide to leave MU before the season started and subjecting himself to burning potential eligibility, by playing in games at MU 1st semester.  Instead, he stuck around, only to find out Wojo didn't like him as a player and as a result burned a year of eligibility.

The pen pal friends you made at MUScoop told you that, hey?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »

I've never really thought about the motivations of the other four because I don't think they were cut out for basketball at this level.  They all transferred down.

That does make it easier to understand, but I still get hung up on the fact that so many guys bailed during the season. The transfer by itself makes sense, but leaving 5 games in seems like a bigger statement. I could be reading too much into it, but it seems like a guy would leave between seasons if it was only about the level of play being too much to handle.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2018, 10:44:18 AM »
That does make it easier to understand, but I still get hung up on the fact that so many guys bailed during the season. The transfer by itself makes sense, but leaving 5 games in seems like a bigger statement. I could be reading too much into it, but it seems like a guy would leave between seasons if it was only about the level of play being too much to handle.

I think it's more of players knowing that their minutes would go down, but not realizing by how much.  With the seniors on the team in 16-17, I don't think Sandy was expecting to continue to get 20 mpg, but when you only get 11 in a 30 point blow out, and see that you will likely spend the rest of your career behind both Sam and Haani, it's easier to understand.  Similar situation with Traci dropping from 20 mpg to 15, and seeing that he'd be behind Markus the rest of his career.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2018, 10:56:34 AM »
The pen pal friends you made at MUScoop told you that, hey?

No.  Just you and the handful of other misguided MUScoop posters who have taken a bow at the altar Wojo.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2018, 11:44:54 AM »

So you believe that if he would have started those eight games everything would have been good? 

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2018, 11:51:56 AM »

So you believe that if he would have started those eight games everything would have been good?

I have no doubt Deonte would have stayed at MU if he started those 8 games and played major minutes. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2018, 11:53:40 AM »
I have no doubt Deonte would have stayed at MU if he started those 8 games and played major minutes.

The 2 MPG more he got in his first season at ISU made all the difference.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2018, 11:56:27 AM »

I think that's ridiculous. 

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2018, 11:57:08 AM »

Well there is the problem, you have a belief that is not true and are unwilling to change no matter what.  You sir, are a major part of what is going on in our society today.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2018, 11:59:27 AM »

I have no doubt you gotta chill out

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2018, 12:07:18 PM »

And that's why you can't be objective. "No doubt" about a complete hypothetical that has been disputed publicly by the player in question? That's just silly.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2018, 12:13:34 PM »

Did you ever stop to think that Deonte's Mom dying right before the season:

1. Made him depressed
2. Which led to him not performing up to his ability in practice
3. Which lead to Wojo not playing him more
4. Which, at the time, Deonte identified the lack of playing time as his motivation for leaving
5. So that is what he told friends at the time
6. But after a fresh start, the passage of time,  and some self reflection,  Deonte can identify and talk about how his Mother's death was a huge challenge that set off a chain reaction of events,  including his transfer.

After my son passed away, I felt numb to the world.  It took me a long time to get back to normal.  Maybe try showing some compassion and empathy for Deonte's journey rather than using his tragedy to constantly push your anti-Wojo agenda.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2018, 12:17:38 PM »

1. Made him depressed
4. Which, at the time, Deonte identified the lack of playing time as his motivation for leaving
6. But after a fresh start, the passage of time,  and some self reflection,  Deonte can identify and talk about how his Mother's death was a huge challenge that set off a chain reaction of events,  including his transfer.

After my son passed away, I felt numb to the world.  It took me a long time to get back to normal.  Maybe try showing some compassion and empathy for Deonte's journey rather than using his tragedy to constantly push your anti-Wojo agenda.

Yeah when he uses "he had a full month to decide to leave MU before the season started" as an excuse for why his mom's death wasn't a factor, it shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the human condition. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2018, 12:58:47 PM »
And that's why you can't be objective. "No doubt" about a complete hypothetical that has been disputed publicly by the player in question? That's just silly.
You're talking about the guy that literally didn't know the difference between a fact and an opinion.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2018, 01:16:19 PM »

1. Made him depressed

Sorry to hear about your son.

Yes.  The argument you lay out above is plausible.  It doesn't change the fact as to what the primary catalyst at the time of the transfer was:  Playing time and role.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2018, 01:22:40 PM »
You're talking about the guy that literally didn't know the difference between a fact and an opinion.

Says the guy who feels compelled to needlessly insert the word "literally" into his posts. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2018, 01:24:14 PM »
Something must be rotten in Madison too since they keep having mid-season transfers. Or just maybe some players learn after a few weeks of games that they are no longer going to get the minutes they crave.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:28:12 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2018, 01:36:37 PM »
It doesn't change the fact as to what the primary catalyst at the time of the transfer was:  Playing time and role.

Not really a fact. Also, he transferred four years ago.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2018, 03:07:23 PM »
Says the guy who feels compelled to needlessly insert the word "literally" into his posts.
You fail to understand my use of the word literally here.  One can say "he doesn't understand the difference between a fact and an opinion" to mean he thinks his opinions are like facts...you on the other hand, literally didn't know the difference between a fact and an opinion.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2018, 03:37:13 PM »
You know who else played in the G league? Derrick Wilson.
Derrick was cut from the G League. He played in Denmark .
https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Derrick-Wilson/Summary/30443
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2018, 06:19:17 PM »

1. Made him depressed

Don't bother he might as well be a piece of 2x4 that is the extent of his sensibility as a human being. He will just keep it up no matter what. He is not capable of understanding....
Goal is National Championship

feedback