'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's Radio Show Comments  (Read 15483 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Buzz's Radio Show Comments
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2013, 10:42:17 AM »
Great point!  Any coach who gets paid more than 99% of the population should have no obligation to give his team the best chance to win at this extremely lofty salary where a nation of fans also count on him as well.

Tomorrow I'm telling my boss I'm canceling UPS and FedEx for a delivery service that costs twice as much and is twice as slow because I think they have a superior attitude and spirit.

It doesn't matter if the FedEx performed like Junior, Vander and DJO. It also doesn't matter that FedEx now has Mayo, JJJ, Dawson like replacements. I'm still switching to Jake, Derrick & Juan service because I'm confident that the NCAA committee will overlook the fact that we have no quality wins and will instead focus on our values and our record from 2011 and 2012 when we were in the AP top 15 going into the tournament.

You do an awesome job living up to your moniker.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2013, 10:43:59 AM »
At some point I would think recruits would take notice of Buzz's playing rotations. If im a highly regarded recruit, would I want to come to a place where someone who was gonna be a walk on and clearly not as talented, get the lions share of the minutes because they practice better but dont show up in games? Derrick and Thomas are not game changers and havent proven to be more than marginal at best. I get Derrick starting (reluctantly) due to Duane's injury but Jake starting over Mayo and JJJ is just ridiculous!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2013, 10:58:02 AM »
At some point I would think recruits would take notice of Buzz's playing rotations. If im a highly regarded recruit, would I want to come to a place where someone who was gonna be a walk on and clearly not as talented, get the lions share of the minutes because they practice better but dont show up in games? Derrick and Thomas are not game changers and havent proven to be more than marginal at best. I get Derrick starting (reluctantly) due to Duane's injury but Jake starting over Mayo and JJJ is just ridiculous!

If a recruit is opposed to having to earn his minutes and do what's expected of him off the court, I don't think Buzz would want him anyway. There's more to the story than just Jake being a better practice player than Mayo.

Watch JJJ on defense. You'll see why he's not getting more minutes. PT will come though.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 11:08:32 AM by MerrittsMustache »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2013, 11:10:41 AM »
MU just played two cupcakes letting the freshman get more involved, more minutes, lets see Saturday how Derrick, Jake and Juan play against equal competition.  Lets see who can score
on the road.  This will be a telling game for all 3?  If they do not pick there game up, then JJJ, Burton and Mayo should deserve more time.  Jake can barely get a shot up against a good
defensive team.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2013, 11:11:55 AM »
I'm a little confused by some of Buzz's comments. He says that Jamil isn't "hardcore" all the time. To me this is indicating a lack of intensity. But he also preaches that the 5 toughest start. Yet Jamil still starts while the other 4 in the list of most talented players come off the bench despite showing more intensity. Just seems odd.

But I agree with MU82. Starting means jack. It's all about playing time

Everyone knows, who played competitive sports, that if you're good enough then you don't have to work as hard. It's a cute story to tell, but if you are the best player you're playing regardless. Again, within reason.

And it's the same in all walks of life, so best to get used to it early.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2013, 11:31:06 AM »
Everyone knows, who played competitive sports, that if you're good enough then you don't have to work as hard. It's a cute story to tell, but if you are the best player you're playing regardless. Again, within reason.

And it's the same in all walks of life, so best to get used to it early.

He's trying to get the more talented players to work harder.  When that happens, hopefully we'll be a better team overall, and it will make those players better players and help them reach their full potential.  Buzz is sacrificing early season success with the hopes of better late season success.  It may or  may not be the right way, and it can be frustrating to watch for us fans, but its clearly what Buzz has done his entire career here, and we shouldn't expect to see anything different, whether we agree or not.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
If a recruit is opposed to having to earn his minutes and do what's expected of him off the court, I don't think Buzz would want him anyway. There's more to the story than just Jake being a better practice player than Mayo.

Watch JJJ on defense. You'll see why he's not getting more minutes. PT will come though.

While I generally agree with this, I don't feel JJJ's defense is really lacking. He seems to be hustling and seems to have a penchant for making things happen. I don't think that Thomas is clearly better at D, but concede he might be in better position more frequently...However I think JJJ's defensive athleticism and offensive fluidity more than makes up for it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2013, 01:02:54 PM »
JJJ will see more and more minutes as season moves on.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2013, 01:07:09 PM »
This.  JJJ keeps looking better.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2013, 01:36:30 PM »
I'm a little confused by some of Buzz's comments. He says that Jamil isn't "hardcore" all the time. To me this is indicating a lack of intensity. But he also preaches that the 5 toughest start. Yet Jamil still starts while the other 4 in the list of most talented players come off the bench despite showing more intensity. Just seems odd.

But I agree with MU82. Starting means jack. It's all about playing time

Good comment.

If Jamil could consistently put together 2 halves of a game at the level he is capable of, this team is top15, top 10 caliber.  He is that good.

Jamil is the most talented athlete on the floor in almost all of our games on this year's schedule.  I hope that he demonstrates that.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2013, 01:40:01 PM »
Good comment.

If Jamil could consistently put together 2 halves of a game at the level he is capable of, this team is top15, top 10 caliber.  He is that good.

Jamil is the most talented athlete on the floor in almost all of our games on this year's schedule.  I hope that he demonstrates that.
agree.  that alley-oop dunk against ball state was nasty

Goose

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2013, 01:44:14 PM »
A great Jamil makes this team a very good one. He really is a gifted athlete and player. When he is on his game he is one of my all time favorite players to watch. He is a throw back player in many ways IMO.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »
Good comment.

You'll notice Jamil plays a lot better when he is paired with other offensively capable players, instead of the current starters...which is why you rarely see 2 great halves from Jamil.  I'd love to see Jamil run the point, and have Derrick's minutes reduced to 10-15 if it means more time for Jamil on the floor.

You are an opposing coach - MU trots out a lineup of Derrick, Jake, Juan, Otule and Jamil - who are you game planning to take away?  And what threat/fear do the other MU players put in you??
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2013, 02:33:21 PM »
You'll notice Jamil plays a lot better when he is paired with other offensively capable players, instead of the current starters...which is why you rarely see 2 great halves from Jamil.  I'd love to see Jamil run the point, and have Derrick's minutes reduced to 10-15 if it means more time for Jamil on the floor.

You are an opposing coach - MU trots out a lineup of Derrick, Jake, Juan, Otule and Jamil - who are you game planning to take away?  And what threat/fear do the other MU players put in you??

Do you have any stats that show Jamil's performances with different line-ups, or is this just something you see?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2013, 02:41:47 PM »
Do you have any stats that show Jamil's performances with different line-ups, or is this just something you see?

Well not sure what good stats would do for you, as you continue to champion Derrick when the stats clearly reflect he's a huge liability offensively for this team.

Watch the game, and watch Jamil's production when he's on the floor with our non-starting lineup.  He's a much better passer from the point than Derrick too btw.  Jamil can play better with Derrick at the point - so long as he's not in with the other starters - need other threats on the floor to help reduce the pressure on Jamil - that he faces when paired with other starters.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brandx

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »

+1 - it's the natural progression. As Buzz said, last game was the 1st time he has seen JJJ play with confidence this year. That and working on defense will get him a lot of Jake's minutes.

Right now JJJ and Deonte are working very hard on the defensive end. They just don't understand the system totally yet and get out of position fairly easily. But they have gotten better and the minutes are increasing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2013, 02:44:36 PM »
You'll notice Jamil plays a lot better when he is paired with other offensively capable players, instead of the current starters...which is why you rarely see 2 great halves from Jamil.

I don't think that's true at all.  In his two biggest games (Fullerton and UW) he has played a ton with the current starters.

For instance here is the +/- against Fullerton:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2013/11/28/marquette-86-cal-state-fullerton-66/plus_minus

He played with Thomas and Wilson for pretty much the entire first half when he had 20 points.

Here is the same v. UW:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2013/12/07/marquette-64-wisconsin-70/plus_minus

When Jamil score a bunch when MU made their run on the second half, it was done with pretty much all of the starters on the floor.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »
I would actually be interested to see how many turnovers Jamil causes while running the point vs. the other positions he plays. Granted he only averages 1.5 TOs a game, but it seems to me that he's rock solid when bringing the ball up.

Maybe the paint touches guys can dive deeper into that.
Bring back FFP!!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2013, 02:45:50 PM »
Well not sure what good stats would do for you, as you continue to champion Derrick when the stats clearly reflect he's a huge liability offensively for this team.

Actually, the stats to this point say he is better than Junior was last year.

But keep saying it and someday it might be true.  If only you believe!!!

brandx

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2013, 02:48:38 PM »

I have said the same thing, but Jamil looked like he had a harder time initiating the offense against a couple of the quicker guards on Ball State who pressed him out past the 3 point line.

But I like the lineup with him at point and would like Derrick to stay around 20 minutes a game rather than 35 - I just don't know if it can be done too much when we get in conference play and opposing guards start forcing the action on 'D'. We may need Derrick for more minutes to protect the ball.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2013, 02:48:42 PM »

Watch the game, and watch Jamil's production when he's on the floor with our non-starting lineup.  He's a much better passer from the point than Derrick too btw.  Jamil can play better with Derrick at the point - so long as he's not in with the other starters - need other threats on the floor to help reduce the pressure on Jamil - that he faces when paired with other starters.

I'm not trying to champion Derrick in this instance (or really any instance for that matter). I'm just trying to see if we are dealing with facts, the "eye test" or just some sort of hyperbole/cliche.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »

Actually, the stats to this point say he is better than Junior was last year.

But keep saying it and someday it might be true.  If only you believe!!!

Comparing Wilson's stats YTD right now to Cadougan's full year last year is not a vaild comparision, given the competition level of the Big East and the mix of cupcakes relative to the scheduled played. 

Assuming that even the lowliest BE team provides more legit competition than a 200+ cupcake, Cadougan's stats last year were based on a mix of 7 cupcakes and 28 legit teams.  Wilson's stats are based on a ratio of 6 cupcakes and 5 legit teams to date.

One would hope that he's out-statting Cadougan's full year numbers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2013, 03:30:13 PM »
Comparing Wilson's stats YTD right now to Cadougan's full year last year is not a vaild comparision, given the competition level of the Big East and the mix of cupcakes relative to the scheduled played. 

Assuming that even the lowliest BE team provides more legit competition than a 200+ cupcake, Cadougan's stats last year were based on a mix of 7 cupcakes and 28 legit teams.  Wilson's stats are based on a ratio of 6 cupcakes and 5 legit teams to date.

One would hope that he's out-statting Cadougan's full year numbers.

Which I have repeatedly acknowledged.  But for the sake of consistency, here is a comparison of where they were 11 games in each of the respective seasons:

JC 12-13:   290 min, 35/82 = 42.6%, 98 pts, 53 asst, 29 TO, 1.1 A/T, 32 rebs.
DW 13-14:  325 min, 21/54 = 38.9%, 58 pts, 46 asst, 16 TO, 2.5 A/T, 44 rebs.

So Junior was better.  He scored more, at a higher percentage and had more assists.  Derrick has less turnovers, a better ratio, and more rebounds.

But that doesn't mean Derrick is bad.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2013, 03:41:04 PM »

Which I have repeatedly acknowledged.  But for the sake of consistency, here is a comparison of where they were 11 games in each of the respective seasons:

JC 12-13:   290 min, 35/82 = 42.6%, 98 pts, 53 asst, 29 TO, 1.1 A/T, 32 rebs.
DW 13-14:  325 min, 21/54 = 38.9%, 58 pts, 46 asst, 16 TO, 2.5 A/T, 44 rebs.

So Junior was better.  He scored more, at a higher percentage and had more assists.  Derrick has less turnovers, a better ratio, and more rebounds.

But that doesn't mean Derrick is bad.

what's the SOS of each? Is that even available?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2013, 03:53:20 PM »
what's the SOS of each? Is that even available?

Average RPI of first 11 games of this year based on current RPI: 162
Average RPI of first 11 games of last year based on final 2013 RPI: 147