'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] Buzz Williams on the rigors of coaching  (Read 15536 times)

MJS_Says

[MJS Blog] Buzz Williams on the rigors of coaching
« on: February 17, 2013, 11:00:04 AM »
Buzz Williams on the rigors of coaching

Sure, a lot of stress and pressure comes with the job, but that is the case with most jobs. And many coaches are hired to be fired, like there is security in any profssion these days. So no one really feels sorry for coaches, who are paid millions for the trouble.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/191590761.html

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: [MJS Blog] Buzz Williams on the rigors of coaching
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »
It comes with wearin' Ferragamos. No one pays you for nothin'.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 11:22:03 AM »
Pretty sure Buzz is a Gucci guy.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 11:35:47 AM »
Which is why I strongly believe Buzz' wife would discourage him from taking some mythical 'dream job'.  He's building a great thing right here in an environment where a guy named Brent Williams from Van Alstyne, TX might avoid the fatal heart attack at 50 that causes him to miss his kid's graduations and weddings.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 12:07:58 PM »
Which is why I strongly believe Buzz' wife would discourage him from taking some mythical 'dream job'.  He's building a great thing right here in an environment where a guy named Brent Williams from Van Alstyne, TX might avoid the fatal heart attack at 50 that causes him to miss his kid's graduations and weddings.

That's one way to look at it.  Others might say it's easier to get to the top of the mountain elsewhere, with less stress, especially on the recruiting front at one of the big major programs.  I know Texas fans are really upset with Barnes and want him out.  Another drubbing yesterday.  They are now 3-9 in the Big 12 and 11-14 overall.  Dodds rewards loyalty and I don't think he will kick Barnes to the curb after this season, but Barnes will need to get it in gear soon.

Warriors 79

• Scholarship Player
  • The only hotter lady is my wife....
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 12:53:21 PM »
There will always be college basketball coaching openings everywhere, every year, including in the state of Texas. Either Buzz is interested in moving back to Texas to some mythical "dream job," or he is not.

Marquette is more Butler with Brad Stephens than we are Kentucky or Duke.  We just are. So either Coach Buzz is gonna be Mark Few/ Bo Cryin/ Jamie Dixon/Jay Wright  and stay where is loved and successful OR he is TC/ Calipari, etc. and will move on.

He knows in his heart what he is and we can't change that.  We need to just enjoy the ride for as long as Buzz will stay, just like we did with Coach Al.
"I went into a restaurant one night and ordered lobster, and the waiter brought me one with a claw missing. He told me that in the back there's a tank they keep the lobsters in and while they're in there, they fight and sometimes one loses a claw. I told him to bring me a winner."  Al McGuire

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 01:00:11 PM »
Wow an intro sentence and then one giant buzz quote ; way to add value hunt; why don't they just have your article be a link to recordings of buzz; much more insightful and it appears you agree; can't believe he gets paid for this work.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 01:53:19 PM »
There will always be college basketball coaching openings everywhere, every year, including in the state of Texas. Either Buzz is interested in moving back to Texas to some mythical "dream job," or he is not.

Marquette is more Butler with Brad Stephens than we are Kentucky or Duke.  We just are. So either Coach Buzz is gonna be Mark Few/ Bo Cryin/ Jamie Dixon/Jay Wright  and stay where is loved and successful OR he is TC/ Calipari, etc. and will move on.

He knows in his heart what he is and we can't change that.  We need to just enjoy the ride for as long as Buzz will stay, just like we did with Coach Al.

No way...I'm stocking up on pitchforks and Molotov cocktails so I can
get super outraged, foaming-at-the-mouth, irrationally enraged, and
blame Larry Williams.  IT'S ALL HIS FAULT! 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 02:16:40 PM »

I don't understand this line of thinking.   What was Notre Dame, a small college in the middle of Indiana, before a string of good football coaches?   It takes keeping a couple elite head coaches.  You need to give them latitude and make them feel wanted and in charge of their program/destiny.

With the class we have coming in the program might be going up a notch from S 16's.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 02:46:46 PM »
I don't understand this line of thinking.   What was Notre Dame, a small college in the middle of Indiana, before a string of good football coaches?   It takes keeping a couple elite head coaches.  You need to give them latitude and make them feel wanted and in charge of their program/destiny.

With the class we have coming in the program might be going up a notch from S 16's.

I agree completely. One game, the forward pass and an unprepared Army team put UND on the map.

What was Duke before K? Sure, they were competitive under Foster but not a "Blue Blood." What was Arizona before Lute? There are several schools that are one coach into a "dynasty." Marquette is a great program with a proud tradition and I cannot understand why so many people accept the Tommy Crean "I can't win here" bullcrap. Buzz is still building on a solid foundation and will take us well beyond KO's and Crean's limited horizons.  

In the meantime, people should recognize Marquette has nothing to apologize for - it is one of the very best basketball schools in Div I. Superb facilities, exceptional financial support, great fan turnouts, and a current and future home in one of the very best basketball conferences. Marquette will continue on the ascendancy under Buzz and I don't see him leaving because UT, TAMU, TCU, TTU, BU, SMU, Trinity College, etc... have nothing of Marquette's basketball heritage.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:59:31 PM by keefe »

Death on call

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 03:11:58 PM »
I agree completely. One game, the forward pass and an unprepared Army team put UND on the map.

What was Duke before K? Sure, they were competitive under Foster but not a "Blue Blood." What was Arizona before Lute? There are several schools that are one coach into a "dynasty." Marquette is a great program with a proud tradition and I cannot understand why so many people accept the Tommy Crean "I can't win here" bullcrap. Buzz is still building on a solid foundation and will take us well beyond KO's and Crean's limited horizons. 

In the meantime, people should recognize Marquette has nothing to apologize for - it is one of the very best basketball schools in Div I. Superb facilities, exceptional financial support, great fan turnouts, and a current and future home in one of the very best basketball conferences. Marquette will continue on the ascendancy under Buzz and I don't see him leaving because UT, TAMU, TCU, TTU, BU, SMU, Trinity College, etc... have nothing of Marquette's basketball heritage.

Remember, though, we should have been totally wetting ourselves,
and should have been VERY AFRAID, AND TERRIFIED, of Buzz taking
the SMU job this summer.  IT WAS MORE THAN A RUMOR! Oh,
that, and thank GOD for that email campaign. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 03:17:33 PM »

Why do you say Crean said he couldn't win here...he didn't, plus he did win here.  He stayed here 9 years and won a lot here.  He just went somewhere that it is EASIER to win with, more in home talent, more stable conference.  That's a big difference. 

Kevin O'Neill, who is hardly pilloried on Scoop...said he couldn't win here.  Mike Deane said to shoot for NIT and hope for NCAA.  Those were guys that said we couldn't win here.  Go back and read what the players at MU have said time after time about the previous administration and what the goal was...to win the national title.  I'm sorry, I don't agree with your perception...other MU coaches have stated that. 

If Buzz leaves, he leaves, I think we'll be fine for the reasons you stated, but if he does leave for more money, better fertile grounds, etc, that wouldn't shock me either.

One of the things that MU has going against it the way we pay for coaches.  We have some boosters that feel they need to be the basketball coach because they "own" a bit of his salary.  I heard this from KO, heard it from Deane, have heard in other circles at it was a problem elsewhere as well.  When hoops is all we have there is no other buttress.  No football, or hockey, or something else to take some of the bright lights off.  You get some boosters that become an albatross and drag.  Yes, I know that happens at other schools, but when you hear it from a number of coaches at MU it becomes a pattern.  I choose to view hoops at MU as a positive and I think those coaches did, too, especially in recruiting.  But in the day to day life outside of hoops and the politics associated with that position, it can be a big drag.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »
I didn't necessarily want to turn this into the next 'Buzz stays or goes thread'.  I guess I'll believe 79's line of thinking appreciating that only Buzz knows if he wants to be a perpetual hill climber.  But I just have a sense that settling down factors in there somewhat.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »
Why do you say Crean said he couldn't win here...he didn't, plus he did win here.  He stayed here 9 years and won a lot here.  He just went somewhere that it is EASIER to win with, more in home talent, more stable conference.  That's a big difference. 

Kevin O'Neill, who is hardly pilloried on Scoop...said he couldn't win here.  Mike Deane said to shoot for NIT and hope for NCAA.  Those were guys that said we couldn't win here.  Go back and read what the players at MU have said time after time about the previous administration and what the goal was...to win the national title.  I'm sorry, I don't agree with your perception...other MU coaches have stated that. 

If Buzz leaves, he leaves, I think we'll be fine for the reasons you stated, but if he does leave for more money, better fertile grounds, etc, that wouldn't shock me either.

One of the things that MU has going against it the way we pay for coaches.  We have some boosters that feel they need to be the basketball coach because they "own" a bit of his salary.  I heard this from KO, heard it from Deane, have heard in other circles at it was a problem elsewhere as well.  When hoops is all we have there is no other buttress.  No football, or hockey, or something else to take some of the bright lights off.  You get some boosters that become an albatross and drag.  Yes, I know that happens at other schools, but when you hear it from a number of coaches at MU it becomes a pattern.  I choose to view hoops at MU as a positive and I think those coaches did, too, especially in recruiting.  But in the day to day life outside of hoops and the politics associated with that position, it can be a big drag.

Two words: Iman Shumpert. I think losing Shumpert put Crean off Marquette. But if you look at the particulars Shumpert wanted playing time right away as he saw himself as a one and done. We had DJ, McNeil, and Wes blocking that. So it wasn't that GIT was a better basketball school - it still isn't. It was a better basketball school for Iman Shumpert's one year stop en route the NBA. Tom Crean never told me that Shumpert was the final straw. For all I know I heard that hear. But it all makes sense. Perhaps I should not have said that he felt he couldn't win here. It is more correct to say it would be easier to win at IU.

And you are right that both KO and Mike Deane said they couldn't win at MU. KO was pressing for the necessary upgrades to make us competitive. And he was 100% correct. Without investment Marquette would not be competitive. That happens in business all the time. If you aren't prepared to invest to remain competitive then you better have an actionable exit strategy. I'm not sure what Deane's problem was. Granted, he had the same infrastructure challenges that KO had but, unlike KO, he didn't put in the sweat equity to address the talent quotient. I have heard he was lazy in that regard but hell, you were there so would know first hand.

But the question is why does Crean get crucified while KO and Deane get a pass? Isn't that a matter of character, personality? KO is a genuinely funny man. He is direct and abrasive but he is extremely likeable. I used to spend a lot of time at Davis Monthan AFB and ran into KO at the Dubliner. I went up and said, "Hey, Coach buy you a drink?" I was in a flight suit so he bought the 8 of us a round. I surprised the sh1t out of him when I told him I was from Marquette. We spoke for about 10 minutes then he went back to his group. What I found interesting is that rather than talking about himself he wanted to know about us - what we did, how we did it, why we did it, and how were the wars going. He actually spent more time speaking with the young Captains than with me and a Major. At the end of the evening we asked for our tab and were told it was taken care of. I didn't have to ask.

I have heard the same about Deane. How many other MU coaches went out drinking with his peers after the game. Crean is not "one of the guys" and he never will be. From my personal observation, first hand insights from people whom I know and trust, and from anecdotes here everything adds up to Crean being an arrogant, self-centered prick who didn't give a damn but for himself. The others were openly critical of Marquette's lack of investment but they were right in saying that. Sure, KO was an a$$ for walking around campus in an orange sweat suit the day after the news broke but I hope Fr DiUlio saw that and understood it was his own damn fault. KO was making a statement but it wasn't the obvious; the real message is that every other coach will leave until you get serious about being in the Div I Basketball industry. So people criticize Crean, they mock him, and they scorn him because they do not like anything about him. He did some good at Marquette but that is not at the heart of the antipathy. The derision stems from how he badly mistreated people. Patton was reprimanded publicly for mistreating a subordinate. Gary Wendt was fired as head of GE Capital by Jack Welch for having had an adulterous affair with a subordinate. People must be held accountable for their actions. Tom Crean has yet to be held accountable and until then people will treat him with disdain.

Death on call

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »
Every job has its rigors.  Buzz is a young man who is relatively new in his coaching career.  I think he will grow as a coach and teacher and enjoy much success.

Marquette has had one of the best basketball programs in the country for a long time.  The university has emphasized basketball when other universities emphasized football or hockey instead.  Sure Mu has had a few lousy coaches during this time, but, the really good coaches like Ed Hickey, Al McGuire, Hank Raymonds, Tom Crean and now Buzz Williams have continued the program at an elite level.   I see Marquette continuing to be one of the finest basketball schools in the country for many years to come.  Enjoy the ride, Buzz, we alumni and fans are.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 05:49:24 PM »

Two words: Iman Shumpert. I think losing Shumpert put Crean off Marquette. But if you look at the particulars Shumpert wanted playing time right away as he saw himself as a one and done. We had DJ, McNeil, and Wes blocking that. So it wasn't that GIT was a better basketball school - it still isn't. It was a better basketball school for Iman Shumpert's one year stop en route the NBA. Tom Crean never told me that Shumpert was the final straw. For all I know I heard that hear. But it all makes sense. Perhaps I should not have said that he felt he couldn't win here. It is more correct to say it would be easier to win at IU.

And you are right that both KO and Mike Deane said they couldn't win at MU. KO was pressing for the necessary upgrades to make us competitive. And he was 100% correct. Without investment Marquette would not be competitive. That happens in business all the time. If you aren't prepared to invest to remain competitive then you better have an actionable exit strategy. I'm not sure what Deane's problem was. Granted, he had the same infrastructure challenges that KO had but, unlike KO, he didn't put in the sweat equity to address the talent quotient. I have heard he was lazy in that regard but hell, you were there so would know first hand.

But the question is why does Crean get crucified while KO and Deane get a pass? Isn't that a matter of character, personality? KO is a genuinely funny man. He is direct and abrasive but he is extremely likeable. I used to spend a lot of time at Davis Monthan AFB and ran into KO at the Dubliner. I went up and said, "Hey, Coach buy you a drink?" I was in a flight suit so he bought the 8 of us a round. I surprised the sh1t out of him when I told him I was from Marquette. We spoke for about 10 minutes then he went back to his group. What I found interesting is that rather than talking about himself he wanted to know about us - what we did, how we did it, why we did it, and how were the wars going. He actually spent more time speaking with the young Captains than with me and a Major. At the end of the evening we asked for our tab and were told it was taken care of. I didn't have to ask.

I have heard the same about Deane. How many other MU coaches went out drinking with his peers after the game. Crean is not "one of the guys" and he never will be. From my personal observation, first hand insights from people whom I know and trust, and from anecdotes here everything adds up to Crean being an arrogant, self-centered prick who didn't give a damn but for himself. The others were openly critical of Marquette's lack of investment but they were right in saying that. Sure, KO was an a$$ for walking around campus in an orange sweat suit the day after the news broke but I hope Fr DiUlio saw that and understood it was his own damn fault. KO was making a statement but it wasn't the obvious; the real message is that every other coach will leave until you get serious about being in the Div I Basketball industry. So people criticize Crean, they mock him, and they scorn him because they do not like anything about him. He did some good at Marquette but that is not at the heart of the antipathy. The derision stems from how he badly mistreated people. Patton was reprimanded publicly for mistreating a subordinate. Gary Wendt was fired as head of GE Capital by Jack Welch for having had an adulterous affair with a subordinate. People must be held accountable for their actions. Tom Crean has yet to be held accountable and until then people will treat him with disdain.

It's high comedy that an average NBA player, and somewhat above
average college NCAA basketball player would be such a deal breaker.

But then, I guess, so was Krunti Hester.  Yawn. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 05:50:51 PM »
That's one way to look at it.  Others might say it's easier to get to the top of the mountain elsewhere, with less stress, especially on the recruiting front at one of the big major programs.  I know Texas fans are really upset with Barnes and want him out.  Another drubbing yesterday.  They are now 3-9 in the Big 12 and 11-14 overall.  Dodds rewards loyalty and I don't think he will kick Barnes to the curb after this season, but Barnes will need to get it in gear soon.

I would say Barnes is on the hot seat. Dismal year. Utter embarrassing loss at Kansas last night. They have struggles the last few seasons. I think his days are numbered.

connie

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 05:57:50 PM »
Given the (very) brief time I have spent with Buzz, I don't see location as being a factor in the pressure he puts on himself.  If it is "easier" to win somewhere else, I think he will have no problem finding work to fill that time.  All I can say is regardless of how it came about, we have come out of it smelling like a rose.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 06:18:55 PM »
I would say Barnes is on the hot seat. Dismal year. Utter embarrassing loss at Kansas last night. They have struggles the last few seasons. I think his days are numbered.

Struggled the last few seasons? They won 28 games and finished the season 8th in the AP poll two years ago, then won 24 games last year even after losing their top four players from the previous season.
Texas has been hurt badly the past two seasons by two things that were largely out of Barnes' control:
- too many good players entering the NBA draft too early. Tristan Thompson, one could fairly argue, left at the right time given his draft position, but Cory Joseph, Jordan Hamilton and J'Covan Brown had no business leaving early. But they did, and it gutted Barnes' roster. If you're John Calipari, you can get away with that - sometimes (but not so much this year, eh?) - but 99 percent of the coaches out there can't.
- The NCAA's jerking around of Myck Kabongo. Basically took away Texas' best player for most of the season, and did it when Texas didn't have any time to prepare for his absence.

There may be a very hot seat in Texas, but if Mack Brown hasn't been fired after three bad seasons, Barnes shouldn't be after one.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 06:20:39 PM »

Matter of character to me is judged more by whether you can buy a drink.  Cheating on his wife with everything that moved and doing it openly in very public bars, etc, etc.  Telling a lot of people that your employer gave you a contract not worth wiping your nose with isn't showing high character, in my opinion.  Lots of ways to look at character if we want to go down that path.

As for Shumpert, yeah it's harder to recruit at MU.  That's a big difference than saying you can't win here.  He knew it would be EASIER to win at another place like a blue blood, but that's just common sense.  That doesn't mean you can't win here, it's just a lot harder.  Buzz is seeing that as well.  Buzz has won more consistently, but hasn't won at a higher level yet.  Part of that is the lack of elite players.  Hopefully next year's crew will be the foundation to get there.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »

Deloss Dodds is a strange cat, but he is loyal to his people.  I think he sticks with him one more year.  Fourteen straight NCAA bids is going to buy you some love and loyalty and Dodds is all about that.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 06:43:08 PM »
Struggled the last few seasons? They won 28 games and finished the season 8th in the AP poll two years ago, then won 24 games last year even after losing their top four players from the previous season.
Texas has been hurt badly the past two seasons by two things that were largely out of Barnes' control:
- too many good players entering the NBA draft too early. Tristan Thompson, one could fairly argue, left at the right time given his draft position, but Cory Joseph, Jordan Hamilton and J'Covan Brown had no business leaving early. But they did, and it gutted Barnes' roster. If you're John Calipari, you can get away with that - sometimes (but not so much this year, eh?) - but 99 percent of the coaches out there can't.
- The NCAA's jerking around of Myck Kabongo. Basically took away Texas' best player for most of the season, and did it when Texas didn't have any time to prepare for his absence.

There may be a very hot seat in Texas, but if Mack Brown hasn't been fired after three bad seasons, Barnes shouldn't be after one.

In football rabid TX, this is quite a statement.  Honestly, Mack Brown
might be one of the dumber, more inept football coaches alive.  How
that slack-jawed rube hasn't won at least 4-5 national championships
there is dumbfounding. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 07:59:41 PM »
  All I can say is regardless of how it came about, we have come out of it smelling like a rose.

Agreed.  I couldn't be happier.  Buzz doing a great job.  Crean rebuilds my other alma mater into a national powerhouse again.  Win win for me. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »
Pretty sure Buzz is a Gucci guy.

The trained eye of the Goose is correct. I never understood why guys bought those things. Even in my suit wearin' days I avoided them. Now, I see them as a ridiculous indulgence. Just bought a pair of Patagonia boots this afternoon off the clearance rack at REI's flagship store. They'll last at least two years in Nepal's extreme mountain conditions. $75.83 for rugged, durable transportation. I used to spend more on a bottle of wine.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 08:34:07 PM »
The trained eye of the Goose is correct. I never understood why guys bought those things. Even in my suit wearin' days I avoided them. Now, I see them as a ridiculous indulgence. Just bought a pair of Patagonia boots this afternoon off the clearance rack at REI's flagship store. They'll last at least two years in Nepal's extreme mountain conditions. $75.83 for rugged, durable transportation. I used to spend more on a bottle of wine.

You need a good pair of Red Wings. American made.  Just down the road...

feedback