Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oregon newspaper says UO has interest in Buzz  (Read 15473 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Oregon newspaper says UO has interest in Buzz
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2010, 03:49:30 PM »
Opinion? Sure.

Repeat some tired coach cliches as if they are the holy grail and 100% truth:

"I'll be at MU as long as the will have me..."

That's silly and we all know better.

After 10 years of Buzz saying that stuff, we can make some educated guesses. Right now, people are just throwing crap against the wall.

From previous discussions we know that you think it takes 5 years to determine whether someone can coach basketball or recruit basketball players. Now you're saying it takes 10 years before one can even make a somewhat informed guess regarding another's character or integrity. The world may pass you by, but no one can ever accuse you of jumping to conclusions.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2010, 04:44:26 PM »
From previous discussions we know that you think it takes 5 years to determine whether someone can coach basketball or recruit basketball players. Now you're saying it takes 10 years before one can even make a somewhat informed guess regarding another's character or integrity. The world may pass you by, but no one can ever accuse you of jumping to conclusions.

Well, 10 years was a bit of hyperbole.

I'm just saying that people who fall in love with coaches quickly are probably the same people who hate with a passion them for years after they leave.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2010, 05:29:44 PM »
I trust Buzz a lot more than I ever did Crean, and I like the “I’ll be here as long as they’ll have me.” quote. It was only a matter of time before someone like this came sniffing. But like 4ever said, Crean proved that giving the guy raises year after year wasn't the answer.

My honest hope is that Buzz comes out and says he's not interested, and I don't want to see him get a raise until that statement has been made. We made Crean one of the highest paid guys in college basketball, and yet he used his success here every single offseason to try to weasel his way into any job that came available.

If we do give Buzz a huge raise, I would wonder if it would be possible to put a no-compete clause in the contract unless he is fired. Make it so he can't coach at any other Division 1 school for two years, not even as an assistant. I would say the NBA would be fine, but as much as I trust Buzz and have faith in what he says, I also don't know what all was behind the New Orleans situation. It's sad to say, but in this business, it's hard to know whom to trust.

Let me make it easy for you, trust Buzz.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2010, 05:37:58 PM »
There is no reason for him to go to Oregon. But if he does, it would be disasterous for MU.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2010, 05:46:24 PM »
Yeah, and that worked out real well with the other jerk.

So, who was/is the first jerk?
I'm sure that this was just a typo, but do you realize that you're implying that Buzz is a jerk?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2010, 05:48:46 PM »
I just reread the article, and determined that we all can relax.  As it says
"Williams was of interest to DePaul"

Hey, if he turned down 3 million from DePaul, I'm sure He'll be around for awhile.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 07:23:16 PM by LittleMurs »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2010, 07:08:54 PM »
The Oregon scout board has in its "Buzz won't come' thread a mention, without attribution, that Buzz has told Crowder that he is staying at MU.   Must be a facebook/tweet thing.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=128&f=2404&t=5882026
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DawsonCreekFillanderer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2010, 07:16:12 PM »
Yeah, and that worked out real well with THE other jerk.

DawsonCreekFillanderer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2010, 07:20:17 PM »
+1. Is he going to let his players find out via ESPN? Is he going to call his recruits and tell them to come to Oregon before his players even know that their coach is gone? Is he going to make up statistics about fan attendance before his arrival? Is he going to invent anecdotes about how players couldn't find practice shoes before his arrival?

What else does he have to do sitting in a hai karate outfit in the back of his stretch limo?

DawsonCreekFillanderer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2010, 07:27:43 PM »
--Oregon Cheerleaders...
http://cheer.uoregon.edu/multimedia/images/2006altonbaker/index.html

Luscious. Luscious and delectabale.

Is there a link to the MU cheerleaders?

DawsonCreekFillanderer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2010, 07:29:28 PM »
The hell he has.  Tweets, MU big heads like Wade and Rivers in Assembly Hall, Cords and Strong behind the IU bench...sure that absolute Facecake has moved on.

Why the f is Bill Cords sitting behind the IU bench?

Why do IU students have Dwyane Wade big heads at Assembly Hall?

This is very weird.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2010, 07:34:02 PM »
Why the f is Bill Cords sitting behind the IU bench?

Why do IU students have Dwyane Wade big heads at Assembly Hall?

This is very weird.

Ah, the creative rewriting of history.  Unfortunately, for Tommy, he may soon discover that history is ultimately written by the winners.

DawsonCreekFillanderer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2010, 07:36:49 PM »

Don't know what map you're reading, but Oregon is pretty close to California, where some recruits may hang out.
If Buzz can lure kids from Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, etc. to the tundra known as Milwaukee, rest assured he could bring them to Nike infested Eugene.

I think Seattle has generated a lot of great talent, too over the past decade

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2010, 07:44:27 PM »
The Oregon scout board has in its "Buzz won't come' thread a mention, without attribution, that Buzz has told Crowder that he is staying at MU.   Must be a facebook/tweet thing.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=128&f=2404&t=5882026

I appreciate some people from Oregon's fanbase knowing Al and the history at MU. 

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2010, 01:52:21 PM »
fox reports creighton coach to agree to take oregon job---please exhale

"OREGON ON VERGE OF GETTING CREIGHTON'S ALTMAN
Saturday, April 24, 2010, 12:21 PM EST [General]

Oregon is on the verge of finally getting its guy.

According to multiple sources close to both sides, Creighton coach Dana Altman is close agreeing to a deal that will have him headed to Eugene.

Sources have told FOXSports.com that Altman has been offered the job and the deal could be officially done as early as tonight, but more likely tomorrow.

``Pat (Kilkenny) continues to speak with multiple coaches about the Oregon job," Oregon senior associate athletic director Joe Giansante told FOXSports.com on Saturday. ``But every step of the way, Dana Altman's name has come up in the coaching fraternity. He's talked to a lot of people and without question, he's considered one of the best coaches in the country."

The Ducks have struck out with big names such as Gonzaga’s Mark Few, Pittsburgh’s Jamie Dixon, Butler’s Brad Stevens and Missouri’s Mike Anderson since parting ways with Ernie Kent last month.

Discussions began with Altman and former Oregon athletic director Pat Kilkenny, who is leading the search, on Monday.

The search is now 37 days old.

Altman is considered one of the top X’s and O’s guys in the country and built Creighton into a mid-major power, going to seven NCAA tournaments in the span of nine years before falling off a bit over the past three seasons and failing to reach the Big Dance.

Altman is 327-176 overall in 16 seasons at Creighton and has taken the program to seven NCAA tournaments. He led the Bluejays to 11 consecutive 20-win seasons before going 18-16 this past year.

Altman, 51, also spent four seasons at Kansas State from 1990-94 in which he was 68-54. He also spent one year as the head coach at Marshall.

Altman verbally agreed to take the Arkansas job three years after, but decided to return to Creighton shortly after arriving in Fayetteville.

Altman takes over for Ernie Kent – who was 235-173 in 13 years at the helm at Oregon, but just 24-39 over the past two seasons.

The Ducks were 16-16 this past season "
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2010, 01:54:39 PM »
He's likely to get cold feet again.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2010, 02:10:38 PM »
Got to hope Altman stays. They have just been so consistent for so long, and Ive got to wish the best for another Jesuit school. If Marquette has to join an all basketball conference I want Creighton to be a part of it. I'd be nice to not be the farthest west school in a conference and to strengthen ties/recruiting to the western side of the midwest more (Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri).

Not to mention that their program deserves it..... a lot more so than St. Louis and many other names people throw around for that dream basketball-only conference (not Catholic only).
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

feedback