[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul Coaching Search  (Read 110322 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: DePaul Coaching Search
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2015, 02:11:34 PM »
I just read they've talked to Dave Leiteo. Can that be accurate? If they are considering him, Ponsetto should be removed from the process.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2015, 02:13:58 PM »
5 years from owning racehorses and not being a coach, to BE HC.  Not a bad ascension.

Well, not that he paid for all those horses.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2015, 02:14:18 PM »
5 years from owning racehorses and not being a coach, to BE HC.  Not a bad ascension.

How much longer before Dan is taking over for Willard at SHU?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2015, 02:27:12 PM »
The Hurley brothers matching up twice a year would be a cool marketing chip for the league.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2015, 02:28:08 PM »
I just read they've talked to Dave Leiteo. Can that be accurate? If they are considering him, Ponsetto should be removed from the process.

The same guy that left DePaul for Virginia in 2005? If that's true, even for DePaul, that's pretty hilarious.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »
The Hurley brothers matching up twice a year would be a cool marketing chip for the league.

If I was Bobby Hurley, I would stay far away from the DePaul job.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2015, 02:34:06 PM »
Sorry to come back to this but thus could not be more wrong (note, I literally live about 150 yards from their campus).  It is important to note because the immense wealth around Depaul kills the feeling of a campus.  Marquette has much more of a campus presence than DePaul will ever have.

A few of many examples within a few block walk of Depaul.

The owner of the LA Dodgers, Mark Walters (CEO of Guggenheim), lives in Lincoln Park a few blocks from Depaul.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Date=20140520&Category=CRED06&ArtNo=520009998&Ref=PH#1

Just up the street from him is former Indy 500 Bobby Rahal.  He listed his house for $3.95 million

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2014/10/14/former-indy-500-champ-bobby-rahal-lists-lincoln-park-home.php

Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzer lives a five minute walk from campus and here house also valued north of $20 million.

http://www.chicagonow.com/getting-real/2013/02/penny-pritzkers-house-1875-n-orchard/

Aeon Founder Richard Parillo built an Italian villa that has a staff of 10 and it 3 blocks from Depaul.

A standard city lot in Chicago is 25 feet wide and 125 feet long.  The lots (tear-downs) are going for $1.3 to $1.5 million.  Again this is just the lot (plus $40k to $50k to tear-down the existing home).

Somebody wrote that Depaul is not a good place from 18 to 23 year olds.  This is correct ... they cannot afford it.

I live on the same block as the Parillo house in the picture, one of my elderly neighbors put there 2, 75 year old houses (next to each other) on the market for 5.75 million as a Tear down with a big for sale sign out front (by owner) there lot is 66 x 131 or approx 2.75 standard lots or 2 million per lot.  

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2015, 02:54:19 PM »
Chit, I'm on the wrong site. Between you and 82 the rest of us paupers don't stand a chance, ai na?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:55:50 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2015, 09:11:58 PM »
Bobby Hurley is DePaul front-runner
Updated: March 24, 2015, 9:48 PM ET
By Jeff Goodman | ESPN.com

Buffalo coach Bobby Hurley has emerged as the front-runner for the DePaul job, multiple sources told ESPN.

Hurley, 43, is a former Duke star and NBA point guard who took the Bulls to the NCAA tournament this year, just his second heading up the program. Hurley previously was an assistant under his brother, Danny, at Wagner and Rhode Island.

One source told ESPN that Hurley, whose team lost to West Virginia in the round of 64, is expected to interview this weekend at DePaul. He would replace Oliver Purnell, who was 54-105 in five seasons.

Parker Executive Search is helping DePaul with the process. It's the same company that was hired for the Buffalo men's basketball opening a couple of years ago.

Sources told ESPN that Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew and former DePaul star and NBA coach Tyrone Corbin also are in the mix.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2015, 09:29:28 PM »
I may be proven wrong about this, but I'd prefer they hire Hurley instead of Bryce Drew.

chr31ter

• Walk-On
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2015, 09:38:28 PM »
I may be proven wrong about this, but I'd prefer they hire Hurley instead of Bryce Drew.
Maybe they'll hire them both:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/03/24/sources-bryce-drew-is-depauls-top-target/

Now 10 days after the position opened, Valparaiso’s Bryce Drew is DePaul’s top target for its basketball coaching vacancy, sources said.

After a 54-105 mark in five seasons, Oliver Purnell was forced out by DePaul athletic director Jean Lenti Ponsetto — with resignation politely used by the university — and Drew, 40, became the logical replacement.

A source close to Drew believes that he will take the DePaul job, citing the allure of Chicago and its location still fairly close to Valparaiso, Ind., Drew’s hometown and where family members live. The source said Drew was one of the candidates pushing for the Northwestern opening two years ago, which eventually went to Chris Collins.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2015, 09:42:09 PM »
Sounds to me like Drew has already taken himself out of the mix.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2015, 10:06:38 PM »
Wojo, Hurley, Cooley, Holtman, Mack plus McD, JT3, Wright... Not a bad group of young/middle aged coaches. Compare that to big ten/acc where the majority of best teams are coached by very old guys, potentially soon to retire (boeheim, K, Roy, izzo, Bo).  Maybe that translates into long term competitiveness and success for the league?

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2015, 08:04:07 AM »
I swore any decent candidate would be scared off by the horrible facilities and athletic department. Pretty amazing hire if DePaul can pull it off.

Hurley - Collins - Wojo

I94 Duke

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2015, 08:16:49 AM »
This just got me thinking, the aren't any high profile openings out there this year. Hurley was expected to be the hot guy on the market, but in reality, as sad as it sounds, DePaul might be the highest profile job available.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2015, 08:23:33 AM »
This just got me thinking, the aren't any high profile openings out there this year. Hurley was expected to be the hot guy on the market, but in reality, as sad as it sounds, DePaul might be the highest profile job available.

You bring up a good point. And if Alabama misses out on G.Marshall I doubt Hurley fits in down south. Also; Buffalo is returning nearly everybody next year. Why leave a year early for a dumpster fire of a job like DePaul.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2015, 08:26:25 AM »

That's the kind of thinking that led Buzz to jump on Virginia Tech.  Who knows what opens up in a couple weeks.....Memphis would be a decent gig.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2015, 08:41:01 AM »

The one year hotshot coach always reminds me of Stan Heath.

He parlayed one great season with Kent State (Elite Eight) into the Arkansas gig. Cleaned up the mess after the Richardson debacle and promptly gets fired after making the NCAAs in his last two seasons. Then, he moves to South Florida which was mostly forgettable but did steal an NCAA bid that one year the Big East was a monster. Fired last April.

Heath's career is nondescript to most fans. However, he took one run in March and produced two HC gigs out of it for the next ten years and banked millions on the way whilst being a mediocre coach. With regard to Hurley, at least Heath had the decency to win some NCAA games.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2015, 08:52:04 AM »
Roy Schmidt at Bullseye said Bryce Drew was returning to Valpo 2 days ago, and now Hurley is getting a contract extension at Buffalo.
http://campuswatch.buffalonews.com/2015/03/25/ub-reaches-agreement-in-principle-on-new-contract-with-bobby-hurley/
Sounds like DePaul won't get either of them.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2015, 09:12:26 AM »

He parlayed one great season with Kent State (Elite Eight) into the Arkansas gig. Cleaned up the mess after the Richardson debacle and promptly gets fired after making the NCAAs in his last two seasons. Then, he moves to South Florida which was mostly forgettable but did steal an NCAA bid that one year the Big East was a monster. Fired last April.

Heath's career is nondescript to most fans. However, he took one run in March and produced two HC gigs out of it for the next ten years and banked millions on the way whilst being a mediocre coach. With regard to Hurley, at least Heath had the decency to win some NCAA games.

Richardson debacle? You aren't referring to his coaching prowess I'm assuming?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2015, 09:22:03 AM »
Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN
Bobby Hurley has not signed deal to stay at Buffalo, sources told ESPN. As of this moment, source said he intends to interview with DePaul.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2015, 09:24:01 AM »
Richardson debacle? You aren't referring to his coaching prowess I'm assuming?

Toward the end of his career at Arkansas, his teams fell into mediocrity barely getting into the tournament and making no noise when they got there.  He claimed that the people complaining about this were racist.  He eventually was fired and sued the University claiming that he was the victim of a negative racial environment.

A bunch of players transfers or decommitted.  Heath came in and did a real good job righting the ship, but then fired him for John Pelphrey - who was bad.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2015, 09:27:20 AM »

Also see Keno Davis ... Parlayed one good year into a big payday at Providence and is now at Central Michigan.

And how about John Groce?  I would argue he parlayed one upset win in the tourney to get Ohio in the S16 into a payday with Illinois.

Finally Andy Enfield .... Took Florida Gulf Coat to the S16 two years ago, upsetting Georgetown along the way, and parlayed that into USC.

Note to athletic directors, pick a coach based on his performance before the tourney.  Paying coaches for a lucky shot that got their low seed team into the second week is a bad investment.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:35:22 AM by Heisenberg »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2015, 09:39:52 AM »
Same can be said 'bout T-Cubed and Bumstead, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2015, 09:41:15 AM »
Same can be said 'bout T-Cubed and Bumstead, ai na?

No.