[Today at 04:38:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

With the talk about getting a Big East team over to the Big Ten, would you ...

have MU move to the Big Ten and have a football team
7 (21.2%)
flip the bird to the Big Ten and stay in the elite basketball conference
26 (78.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: June 04, 2009, 06:39:04 PM

Author Topic: MU Football  (Read 2191 times)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
MU Football
« on: May 28, 2009, 06:39:04 PM »
It's a thought I just had.  I would love to have a college football team to bleed for.  I hate the Big Ten but I would make the sacrifice for the football program.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Buzz4Prez

• Scholarship Player
Re: MU Football
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 06:49:49 PM »
Problem is that starting a football team is uber expensive, and we wouldn't be able to jump right to division I. It would take quite a few years before we could even imagine fielding a good D1 team.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 07:01:32 PM »
Its a hypothetical.  I know its impossible.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 07:57:55 PM »
Problem is that starting a football team is uber expensive, and we wouldn't be able to jump right to division I. It would take quite a few years before we could even imagine fielding a good D1 team.

The B10 is made up of large state universities spending tons of taxpayer money.  MU could never compete with that.  Northwestern cannot compete with that.

If we were the 12th B10 school (which will never ever happen) we would be cursed like NU to mediocrity.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 09:36:05 PM »
can we change it to: MU develop a D1 football team that plays in the big east (and will inevitably bring home Orange Bowl trophies year after year)

sorry I may be in the minority here for boat loads of reasons (money, land, space, practice facility space, enrollment increases, title IX -total bullsh*t, a crappy D2, D1A -whatever-, D1 Independent and BE Football team for 10+ years...) but if It came down to I'd walk into Bob Wild's office tomorrow and cut off my left nut on his desk if that meant MU could have a football team

augoman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 10:21:11 PM »
The B10 is made up of large state universities spending tons of taxpayer money.  MU could never compete with that.  Northwestern cannot compete with that.

If we were the 12th B10 school (which will never ever happen) we would be cursed like NU to mediocrity.

???????  Northwestern is anything but mediocre- won the big ten 2 of the 3 years my daughter was an undergrad, beat UW-Madison about 1/2 of the time, been to something like 6 bowl games since the Rose bowl in '96, and-save for an untimely heartattack (Randy Walker) had a hell of a program building.  Now, rebuilding again under coach Fitz, things look very bright again.  In fact, they are the bright spot for the big ten in the NCAA's- women's lacrosse has won 5 straight national championships, women's tennis has been ranked #1 nationally for two straight years, working towards a record-setting 11 straight big ten titles, women's softball team is nationally ranked, and the men's golf and baseball teams always do well.  Now men's basketball is starting to progress with some great talent returning.  All this while perennially having the best graduation rate in the big ten conference-ranking in the top 5 nationally, and setting a school record in 2008 with 156 athletes named to the Academic All-Big Ten team.  Hard to believe the success of this small, private school competing in 19 varsity intercollegiate sports.