collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1126725 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #7425 on: July 20, 2020, 01:44:24 PM »
I think the worst that can be said about Brix is that she is more of a poltical novice who is having troubles balancing what she knows to be good science with a President who oftentimes doesn't follow that path.  Fauci has been around longer and may have more experience managing those competing pressures.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7426 on: July 20, 2020, 01:51:18 PM »
To whom? The American public? Sure. But it’s not like Fauci was a household name.  She was a Director at the CDC and headed up their AIDS/HIV work and was tasked by Obama with ending the AIDS/HIV epidemic, a position that required Senate confirmation and vote. She’s not some random physician plucked from obscurity to be a pawn in the Trump game.  I don’t know why suddenly everyone is rushing to tear down her bonafides and make her out to be some under qualified bumbling Pollyanna

To the general public.

If you really read my entire post instead of just the part you bolded, you would also see the words "she probably had a good pedigree to get to her current position." That was a clear acknowledgement that, while I am unfamiliar with her background, I was assuming that she deserved her position. And it is dramatically different from calling her "some random physician plucked from obscurity" or "some under qualified bumbling Pollyanna."

Please read, pause and think before posting....

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7427 on: July 20, 2020, 01:55:15 PM »
To the general public.

If you really read my entire post instead of just the part you bolded, you would also see the words "she probably had a good pedigree to get to her current position." That was a clear acknowledgement that, while I am unfamiliar with her background, I was assuming that she deserved her position. And it is dramatically different from calling her "some random physician plucked from obscurity" or "some under qualified bumbling Pollyanna."

Please read, pause and think before posting....

Really dude? Come on man.  Read the rest of the thread. Read the reactions to the “behind the scenes article”. I never highlighted you for calling her that.  I clearly have read cause I knew her background. But thanks for calmly patronizing me.

I think the worst that can be said about Brix is that she is more of a poltical novice who is having troubles balancing what she knows to be good science with a President who oftentimes doesn't follow that path.  Fauci has been around longer and may have more experience managing those competing pressures.

And I’m completely fine with that assessment.   

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7428 on: July 20, 2020, 01:55:28 PM »

I'd also suggest that Fauci, at nearly 80 years old and with his legacy well-established, can afford to have a bit more of a IDGAF attitude when it comes to the White House. He clearly can wield a great deal of influence, regardless of whether he stands at the White House podium or has Trump's support.
Brix, on the other hand, needs to stay in Trumo's good graces if she's to have any influence over national policy. As a result, I suspect she's probably been more willing to tell the president what he wants to hear, along with what he doesn't. Kind of a "Spoonful of Sugar" situation.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7429 on: July 20, 2020, 02:11:06 PM »

Really dude? Come on man.  Read the rest of the thread. Read the reactions to the “behind the scenes article”. I never highlighted you for calling her that.  I clearly have read cause I knew her background. But thanks for calmly patronizing me.

You specifically replied to my post, and you said 'everyone' was calling her an under qualified Pollyanna.

As I said, please read, pause and think before posting...dude.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7430 on: July 20, 2020, 02:16:06 PM »
She was a Director at the CDC and headed up their AIDS/HIV work and was tasked by Obama with ending the AIDS/HIV epidemic, a position that required Senate confirmation and vote. She’s not some random physician plucked from obscurity to be a pawn in the Trump game.  I don’t know why suddenly everyone is rushing to tear down her bonafides and make her out to be some under qualified bumbling Pollyanna

Just to be clear, I did not tear down her bonafides, or suggest at all she is under qualified. I'm well aware of her impressive credentials, and abilities.

I simply stated, that she seems to be operating more in terms of being a politician, then scientist/doctor. I say this, because her bonafides clearly indicate that she knows better in regards to some of the decisions/statements/inactions she has been part of.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7431 on: July 20, 2020, 02:29:09 PM »
Just to be clear, I did not tear down her bonafides, or suggest at all she is under qualified. I'm well aware of her impressive credentials, and abilities.

I simply stated, that she seems to be operating more in terms of being a politician, then scientist/doctor. I say this, because her bonafides clearly indicate that she knows better in regards to some of the decisions/statements/inactions she has been part of.

I can agree with this. I think like Fluffy and Pakuni have said, there unfortunately is a heavy political game to this, that’s challenging for even the best and most experienced operators, and unfortunately her angle and tactics haven’t played with the mess at the top.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7432 on: July 20, 2020, 02:31:37 PM »
I don’t know why suddenly everyone is rushing to tear down her bonafides and make her out to be some under qualified bumbling Pollyanna

Simple logic from some simple people (I’m excluding Forgetful, Fluffy and others):

A - Anyone who agrees with anything Trump has ever said or done is stupid, unqualified and vile

+B - Dr Birx agreed with Trump about opening the economy

= C - Therefore Dr Birx is stupid, unqualified and vile.

Wags, the only thing shocking about this is that you’re surprised. As soon as I saw the article I knew this was coming.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7433 on: July 20, 2020, 03:02:37 PM »
Four months ago, crickets. And follow the science, including Dr Birx.

Now? She not really a scientist, doncha’ know? Me and the wife had her pegged from the jump.

Sure.

I believe in science.

I DO NOT believe in science filtered through trump’s White House. 

The reason I mentioned my wife calling her a poser is because my like likes everyone. When she said that after seeing her on TV for maybe 60 seconds, I was quite surprised. Two days later, Trump talked about injecting bleach and Birx’ answer verified her critique. She was simply one more person bowing before him. She couldn’t muster the courage to say “No, don’t ever do that!”.

• All American
« Reply #7434 on: July 20, 2020, 03:09:52 PM »
I believe in science.

I DO NOT believe in science filtered through trump’s White House. 

The reason I mentioned my wife calling her a poser is because my like likes everyone. When she said that after seeing her on TV for maybe 60 seconds, I was quite surprised. Two days later, Trump talked about injecting bleach and Birx’ answer verified her critique. She was simply one more person bowing before him. She couldn’t muster the courage to say “No, don’t ever do that!”.

It's always easy to call others out for their lack of courage.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #7435 on: July 20, 2020, 04:22:42 PM »
She has been clearly in favor of masks. This is from a month and change ago.

“What we have said to people is there is clear scientific evidence now, by all the droplet experiments that happened, and that others have done, to show that a mask does prevent droplets from reaching others," Birx said on "Fox News Sunday" when asked what she would tell people who say they have a right not to wear a mask in public.
"Out of respect for each other, as Americans that care for each other, we need to be wearing masks in public when we cannot social distance," she said.

“ And this is unusual in the case of respiratory diseases in many cases. So, you don't know who's infected. And so we really want to be clear all the time that social distancing is absolutely critical. And if you can't social distance and you're outside, you must wear a mask. These are items that really critical to protect individuals," she said.”

She also just praised the CDC guidelines for school reopening earlier this month and stressed the challenge on applying them to varied localities that experience COVID differently at the moment.

Have you noticed her presence in media has fallen off a cliff? She used to be on TV daily, now she has a handful of public statements since May.  Hell, she gave an interview with a magazine a month ago where she mentioned to the writer that schools need to remain closed while we gather more information and plan and the next day Trump fired off his all caps SCHOOLS MUST OPEN tweet.  She’s only as vocal and available as the White House lets her be.  Not everyone thinks it’s best to be fired if they still feel they can do any good within.

Like TSmith said, she made some overly positive assumptions and miscalculated just how hard it is to manage and/or navigate Trump, she’s not perfect. But your households smug assumption that shes some silly patsy and not “bright” is insulting and demeaning, but whatever. Just more if the tribal partisan BS.  Thank god Obama didn’t view her with such dim regard like you do.

I appreciate the response, Wags.

I realize your points have some validity, but when you are the lead scientist (as she now is since Fauci has been put in the doghouse), it is your duty to country that comes first. Saying something and then going silent on any of these issues -schools, masks, etc., - isn’t helping the country. She needs to speak out on these things over and over to be effective. Worrying about upsetting trump just makes my point.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7436 on: July 20, 2020, 05:43:15 PM »
Simple logic from some simple people (I’m excluding Forgetful, Fluffy and others):

A - Anyone who agrees with anything Trump has ever said or done is stupid, unqualified and vile

Wags, the only thing shocking about this is that you’re surprised. As soon as I saw the article I knew this was coming.

nailed it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7437 on: July 20, 2020, 05:57:12 PM »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #7438 on: July 20, 2020, 06:07:29 PM »
nailed it.

Plus we now live in a world where being wrong once somehow invalidates your opinions on all matters forever.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7439 on: July 20, 2020, 09:20:57 PM »
I can agree with this. I think like Fluffy and Pakuni have said, there unfortunately is a heavy political game to this, that’s challenging for even the best and most experienced operators, and unfortunately her angle and tactics haven’t played with the mess at the top.

Agreed. I don't envy those having to play the game, and honestly, not sure how I would handle some of the situations they were forced into.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #7440 on: July 20, 2020, 11:51:29 PM »

No one here has said Birx isn’t a good scientist or is unqualified (you know this). The complaint, by me at least, is that she needs to speak truth to power. If she is afraid of offending trump, she loses her value.

• All American
« Reply #7441 on: July 21, 2020, 07:26:09 AM »
No one here has said Birx isn’t a good scientist or is unqualified (you know this).

You said she was a "poser."  Your initial statement was silly.  Your attempts to backtrack, yet still claim you were "right," are truly amazing to witness.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7442 on: July 21, 2020, 11:06:07 AM »
https://onemileatatime.com/istanbul-airport-coronavirus-testing/

In all seriousness .. how does an airport in Turkey have a $16 test that returns results in two hours, 2,000 tests per hour??

I mean, how does Turkey do that and (AFAIK) the US doesn't have anything like that anywhere?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7443 on: July 21, 2020, 11:38:30 AM »
https://onemileatatime.com/istanbul-airport-coronavirus-testing/

In all seriousness .. how does an airport in Turkey have a $16 test that returns results in two hours, 2,000 tests per hour??

I mean, how does Turkey do that and (AFAIK) the US doesn't have anything like that anywhere?

Related, I started reading OMAAT when I started traveling a lot for work, and the comment section has always been...interesting. But since the pandemic has begun, my goodness. For people that frequent a travel blog, there is a section of COVID panic hysterics in there that make the most cautious on this board seem like freewheeling cowboys. Saying they won’t get on planes till 2022 AT THE VERY EARLIEST and basically accusing anyone traveling, in any fashion, these days as selfish agents of murder and destruction. It’s something else

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7444 on: July 21, 2020, 11:21:25 PM »
From the NYT:

The United States on Tuesday recorded more than 1,000 coronavirus deaths in a single day for the first time in July, according to a New York Time database. Officials in Nevada, Oregon and Tennessee reported their highest single-day death figures yet.

Public health experts have warned for weeks that deaths would trail new cases by about a month and case counts have risen substantially since mid-June, when states began lifting stay-at-home orders and reopening businesses.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7445 on: July 21, 2020, 11:33:48 PM »
Officials in Nevada, Oregon and Tennessee reported their highest single-day death figures yet.

Factual, but in Oregon that number was 7.  Single digit 7.  They've hit that number 2 other times in the past 4 months.  There is a slight trend up in daily deaths but the state doesn't appear to be in bad shape yet (or any time past).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7446 on: July 21, 2020, 11:43:35 PM »
Factual, but in Oregon that number was 7.  Single digit 7.  They've hit that number 2 other times in the past 4 months.  There is a slight trend up in daily deaths but the state doesn't appear to be in bad shape yet (or any time past).

Glad to hear that. I like Oregon.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7447 on: July 22, 2020, 08:36:06 AM »
Earlier in the thread, there was discussion of the economic impact of COVID on hospitals. Now, another problem looms; an accelerated timeline to the insolvency of Medicare Part A (hospital payments).

Another problem on the health horizon: Medicare is running out of money

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/07/21/npr-another-problem-on-the-health-horizon-medicare-is-running-out-of-money

With record numbers of Americans out of work, fewer payroll taxes are rolling in to fund Medicare spending, the number of beneficiaries is rising, and Congress dipped into Medicare's reserves to help fund the COVID-19 relief efforts this spring.

In April, Medicare's trustees reported that the Part A trust fund, which pays for hospital and other inpatient care, would start to run out of money in 2026. That is the same as the projection in 2019. But the trustees cautioned at the time that their projections did not include the impact of COVID-19 on the trust fund.

"Given the uncertainty associated with these impacts, the Trustees believe that it is not possible to adjust the estimates accurately at this time," said the report.

So Shulkin, now a senior fellow at the Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics at the University of Pennsylvania, did his own projections in early July. Given even a conservative estimate of how many workers and businesses would not be contributing payroll taxes that finance Part A spending, he said, the trust fund could become insolvent as early as 2022 or 2023.

"I think this is something that needs more immediate attention," he said.

Others who make projections agree the insolvency date is getting closer, maybe not as close as 2022.

The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, a nonpartisan group of budget experts focused on fiscal policy, estimates that the pandemic will cause the Part A trust fund to be unable to pay all of its bills starting in late 2023 or early 2024. "But we're still very close," said Marc Goldwein, the group's senior vice president.

-----------------

I don't know what the long-term picture will look like, but it is clear that COVID will dramatically impact how healthcare is provided and paid for in the US.

My own opinion is that the country still isn't ready for an all-out switch to the single-payer system demanded by the far left. Instead, we will move back to a strengthened version of the ACA, with a guarantee of Medicare for anyone who falls through the cracks. And inevitably, we will need to improve the reimbursement methodologies used by Medicare (moving from fee for service to outcome-oriented payments). Too many details to even fathom at the moment, but COVID will inevitably accelerate the shakeup that has been brewing.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #7448 on: July 22, 2020, 04:09:50 PM »
Canda's approach vs. US approach to Covid in one picture:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/maid-of-the-mist-niagara-falls-hornblower-covid-1.5658620

The two boats tell very different stories.

Aboard Maid of the Mist VII, passengers in blue ponchos appear to fill the top deck and wrap around the lower level as it sails on the American side of Niagara Falls. The passing Canadian-run Hornblower is all but empty with just a handful of people wrapped in red, huddled in pairs near the railing.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7449 on: July 22, 2020, 04:14:28 PM »
At about 3pm today, in a coordinated move, 3 midwest governors announced mask mandates.

Indiana
Ohio
Minnesota

They joined the two other Midwest states with existing mask mandates

Michigan
Illinois

Nice move showing common sense and unity in the region, and that their state leadership is committed to following the science.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 04:17:08 PM by Skatastrophy »

feedback