Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: McSteal averaging 7 turnovers over the past 3 games  (Read 2763 times)

Wade for President

• All American
McSteal averaging 7 turnovers over the past 3 games
« on: January 14, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
Wow....ridiculously alarming number (incrementally growing each game: 6, 7, 8).  I will be the first one to say you take the good with the bad when dealing with McNeal...but this has to get corrected.

Sure, 8 turnovers in a near 20 point blowout don't appear to be that detrimental, but will we feel the same in close games down the stretch?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 08:01:58 AM by Wade for President »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: McSteal averaging 7 turnovers over the past 3 games
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 10:39:43 AM »
Seconded.  It's just gotten out of hand. 

Was watching the TC Show and they had a McNeal highlight where he burst down the court with the ball, drove to the hoop for the bucket.

The odd part was that on his way down court, he lost the dribble.  No guy tapped it away from him, he wasn't doing anything tricky, he just plain lost the dribble, then got it back.  Had an opposing players been near, it would have been another TO.  wtf?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 10:47:51 AM »
withou mcneal yesterday - the game is closer or even a loss.  he frustrates defense and is fearless.  We lose to Providence College types when our warrior is absent.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 11:05:47 AM »
True mviale.  The balance of his games more than makes up for his turnovers.  That doesn't excuse the turnovers, though and doesn't mean he shouldn't seriously concentrate on improving in that area.  He does seem to have trouble just handling the ball from time to time.  Price to pay for unreal adrenaline in the kid, I guess.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 01:36:28 PM »
Though his turnover total if frightening and at times he seems to have no idea what he is doing offensively, as a guard he is the best defender I have ever seen at the college level. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 02:25:21 PM by ecompt »

thekahoona

• Starter
i wonder...
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 01:51:01 PM »
i wonder if coach is trying to get him to drive with his head up...  if you remember,  crean had mason working on the same specific aspect of his game and his turnovers jumped. 

hopefully, as jerel gets a better feel for keeping his head up, the turnovers will come down accordingly.

then again, i could be mis-remembering.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 07:57:41 PM »
yea McNeal is a very good talent, however he lacks some of the basics that makes a good basketball player.  Anyone else notice when he dribbles/drives, he puts his head down, a big no no in the basketball world, and that causes lots of TO's
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

MU71

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 07:39:55 AM »
I'll take McNeal on my team anyday.  The turnovers have to be worked but even with them he is invaluable as to what he brings to the team.  Remember what we looked like at Providence?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 08:45:16 AM »
The guy is a circus act to be sure, but I have a hard time getting upset with the turnovers. This team goes as he goes. He plays 100 mph from the opening tip on, and if you want all the good things he does - the defense, the rebounding, the fearless drives to the hoop, you are going to have to not just live with, but expect some of the shortcomings as well. It is his style of play that is responsible for all of those things. Sure he may be able to tighten it up a little bit, but I think you are better off just making sure that your other guards take care of the ball, and everything will work out just fine.

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 11:35:32 AM »
On Saturday he was better against the zone than Matthews. 

Matthews put his head down and dribbled into traps several times.  McNeal consistently cut into the middle of the zone and passed or shot.  Some of his passes turned into TOs, but he was attacking the zone the right way.

Can't say the same for Wesley.  Sort of weird to watch him dribble into trouble.