Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2015-16 Roster Analysis  (Read 5264 times)

jsglow

• All American
2015-16 Roster Analysis
« on: July 02, 2014, 06:39:58 PM »
I've watched some of these threads drift of into other areas of discussion.  TONS has happened these last few days and I've been away on business.  I know that Heldt and the elder Ellenson are now in the fold and I trust that more reinforcements are on the way.  I'd like to spend some time reading from those of you that truly follow the prep circuit to begin to analyze the 2015-16 class.

I guess I'll start.  Please fill in and improve.

C: Fischer backed up by Heldt,
PF: Senior Captain STJr backed up by ???  I could envision a young Henry E. exceeding Steve's court time.
SF: Deonte as he has a bust out year headed for a first round pick.  Is Gabe his backup?  Perhaps Wally?
SG: JJJ, with Cohen off the bench.  They both play, of course.
PG: Duane backed up by Dawson with Nick as an occasional Frosh contributor.

Analyze away.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:48:56 AM by jsglow »

bilsu

• All American
Re: 2015-16 Roster Analysis
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 07:46:39 PM »
Fischer at PF with Heldt backing up Taylor at center.
Burton will not turn pro unless he is crazy like Blue

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 08:42:59 PM »
I've watched some of these threads drift of into other areas of discussion. 

Yes.  I'd noticed that as well.   ;)

I'm hoping against hope that this thread stays on topic.  It's a good topic, after all.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 08:55:27 PM »
 Aren't you counting your chickens a little soon on Henry?  Would Wally really be happy as the third 3 if he is looking for PT?   If it is apparent he won't be getting PT, will that affect HE's decision?

5's:   Fischer, Heldt
3/4 switchables:  STjr, Deonte, Gabe, Wally
2/3 Switchables:  JJJ, Cohen
1/2 Switchables:  Duane, Dawson
1. Nick
CoWoJo targeting another big and a big shooting guard is a good call.   Although another pure point wouldn't suck. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 09:00:11 PM »
If we're able to reel in Henry he'll be starting alongside Fischer.  Burton, JJJ, and Duane would join them.  I'm interested to see what Cohen brings; hopefully he transitions to the college game more smoothly than Juan.  Dawson looks like he can be a strong option at either guard spot in a year. I wouldn't expect Nosk to see many minutes.  Hopefully Taylor can stay healthy.  Levin and Wally would give us some nice "switchables" to fill in the gaps.  I don't expect Heldt to contribute until his junior season, but hopefully I'm wrong.  I'm assuming Wojo will shift focus to 2 guard if Henry commits.

BTW, to someone who knows more about the wiki than I do, Duane should be recategorized to Cohen and Levin's class on the schollie table
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 09:19:53 PM »
It will be interesting to see how roster turnover compares to Buzz's years. Wondering about transfers has gone from "how many" to "if any."
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 01:54:15 AM »
As the roster currently stands:

1: D Wilson, Noskowiak
2: Johnson, Dawson, Ellenson
3: Burton, Cohen
4: Taylor, Levin
5: Fischer, Heldt

Assuming we get H Ellenson and Cheatham:

1: D Wilson, Dawson, Noskowiak
2: Johnson, W Ellenson, Cheatham
4: Taylor, Levin, Heldt
5: Fischer, H Ellenson

Lots of options for moving players around though...dare I call them switchables?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:02:35 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 07:38:49 AM »

4: Taylor, H Ellenson, Levin

Lots of options for moving players around though...dare I call them switchables?

FIFY

We don't know how any of the players will pan out but that looks like a solid crew.  I'm most interested in how JJJ turns out.  He's the big unknown for me.  If he isn't lights out we could have a major hole at guard or be forced to play Dawson/Duane out of position(though rumor has it Duane is gonna play the 2 this year).
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 07:57:56 AM »

Left off Henry in your second assumption list.  I understand him to be a #4.  I don't have a feel if Wojo would reward his then Team Captain with a starting role or start a new 5-star Frosh.  Of course much would depend on their relative skill sets.  Be a nice problem to have.  
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:59:37 AM by jsglow »

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 09:26:58 AM »
Wow. a thread that stays on topic at least through the first 6 replies.  This is great.

It will be interesting to see how stable the roster is.  There were so many moving parts with Brent that it was a waste of time to engage in this exercise with his roster as turnover was such a constant.  I hope that does not occur with Wojo and we can see many guys develop their skills without constant concern of transfers.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 09:31:40 AM »
A) this topic is incomplete without the Scholarship Table, which is fantastic and amazing. Seriously, every time we get a recruit I have to look at the Scholarship Table.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8

B) The Scholarship Table has not yet been updated to reflect the new commits. Sad trombone.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 09:46:25 AM »
Henry is closer to a #2 than a #5.
In HS, he often plays PG and SG, but will go low post as well.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 09:49:49 AM »
Henry is closer to a #2 than a #5.
In HS, he often plays PG and SG, but will go low post as well.

I was thinking that.  Seems like you could play Henry and STj together, very diff skill sets.  3/4 mix?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 09:51:25 AM »
Wow. a thread that stays on topic at least through the first 6 replies.  This is great.

It will be interesting to see how stable the roster is.  There were so many moving parts with Brent that it was a waste of time to engage in this exercise with his roster as turnover was such a constant.  I hope that does not occur with Wojo and we can see many guys develop their skills without constant concern of transfers.
[/quote

I do not see a lot of transfering in the near future.  Out of 13 kids you will have 3 transfers already out 13, leaves 10 and 5 will be juniors and seniors.  That leaves 5, mostly new recruits.  I
do not see it but you never know when you have 13 on a team.  4 kids will not see to much time how I see it.  It will surely be interesting to see how Wojo handles 13 kids, I think 12 is a better
team amount.  Even the 13th player which will be Heldt, Ellenson and Cohen will see some time.  Heldt for sure as Fishers back-up.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 10:03:24 AM »
I was thinking that.  Seems like you could play Henry and STj together, very diff skill sets.  3/4 mix?

Okay then.  Any thoughts on Henry vs. Luke assuming he comes?  I think we're expecting Luke to be a 'stretch #4'.  Poor Steve's tongue is going to be dragin' the first month of this season.  But then the reinforcements start to arrive when Luke becomes eligible.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 10:05:06 AM »
FIFY

We don't know how any of the players will pan out but that looks like a solid crew.  I'm most interested in how JJJ turns out.  He's the big unknown for me.  If he isn't lights out we could have a major hole at guard or be forced to play Dawson/Duane out of position(though rumor has it Duane is gonna play the 2 this year).

Thanks for the assist. I was clearly drunk. Damn you Dave Matthews.

I edited, but my version was slightly different. Heldt seems more like a stretch 4 to me and Henry has some legitimate post moves. I switched them around.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 10:41:23 AM »
I think it will be a big lineup with Henry Ellenson at the three.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 10:41:51 AM »
Thanks for the assist. I was clearly drunk. Damn you Dave Matthews.

I edited, but my version was slightly different. Heldt seems more like a stretch 4 to me and Henry has some legitimate post moves. I switched them around.

Based on what I've seen, I really think Henry is a 4 and while Heldt isn't a 5 yet...he will be especially if he keeps adding mass like he has talked about.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 10:42:36 AM »
All I know TAMU and bilsu is that looks like one hell of a team for jsglow jr.'s Senior year in college.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 11:15:20 AM »
I think it will be a big lineup with Henry Ellenson at the three.

Is that a bad thing?  Big and slow lineup? Or the grizzlies mashing it down your throat?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:50:33 AM by LAMUfan »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 11:32:40 AM »
There is nothing wrong with two stretch 4's up front with a couple of 2/3's and a PG.   Actually, if I had my choice, it is what I would choose. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 10:52:04 AM »
I once had a golf coach who asked me right in the middle of my downswing what I was thinking about... and I answered that I was thinking about the plane and path of my swing. His response:  "You should be thinking about hitting the effing ball!".

The point?

I'd like a team that's focused on putting the ball in the hoop rather than focused on paint touches and inside/outs and rotations and who can shoot the 3 and who shouldn't.  Just put the effing ball in the hoop.  Nothing else matters. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »
I once had a golf coach who asked me right in the middle of my downswing what I was thinking about... and I answered that I was thinking about the plane and path of my swing. His response:  "You should be thinking about hitting the effing ball!".

The point?

I'd like a team that's focused on putting the ball in the hoop rather than focused on paint touches and inside/outs and rotations and who can shoot the 3 and who shouldn't.  Just put the effing ball in the hoop.  Nothing else matters. 

Ahhh,  that's a cool story but I'd rather have guys thinking about getting high percentage shots, not just free lance jacking up shots.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 08:51:53 PM »

The point?

You were able to listen and respond to a question in the middle of your downswing? You must have the slowest downswing of anyone on the tour.  ;)

feedback