'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] A week off for MU, and now Longwood  (Read 3800 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] A week off for MU, and now Longwood
« on: December 03, 2010, 10:30:03 AM »
A week off for MU, and now Longwood

Rehabilitation and rebounding.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/111264499.html

willie warrior

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] A week off for MU, and now Longwood
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 11:05:15 AM »
Sounds like Cadougan is not starting. Probably be Blue and Bucyks.

Crowder and Cadougan should be the starters, but Buzz has a huge man crush on Bucyks.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 12:01:34 PM »
I'm sure Buycks is a nice guy, for sure a hard worker, but just doesn't have it....not a great shooter, ball handler, defender, slasher, etc. He doesn't do anything outstanding, he's an above average passer but based on what I've seen of him that's about it.

College basketball is a jump shooting league and MU has 1 of those. 3-5% of CBB teams have a legitimate inside game. You just cannot have buycks and blue on the floor together IMO, and DJO should play 35 minutes a game. Crowder and Butler can spread the floor to help offset but there are no driving lanes for a largely slashing team. This is why MU will struggle this year against top defenses like duke, gonzaga, g'town, etc. Lazar, Cubes or Acker aren't available to hit 3s as the shot clock expires.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 03:33:29 PM »
You cannot have Cadougan and Blue on the floor together, because neither of them are offensive threats. Buyckes makes some mistakes, but he has more upside than Cadougan. Look at Cadougan's stats against UWM, he is not the answer.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 03:42:20 PM »
I'm sure Buycks is a nice guy, for sure a hard worker, but just doesn't have it....not a great shooter, ball handler, defender, slasher, etc. He doesn't do anything outstanding, he's an above average passer but based on what I've seen of him that's about it.

By the same token, he's not particularly bad at any of those things, either. He's a much better shooter than he was last year, I'd say this year he's been at least above average. He's done okay handling the ball, been a decent defender, and can get to the rack. It's entirely possible that Buzz would prefer the proven average commodity than the constant risk/reward that comes from the young guys.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mu92

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 03:48:08 PM »
Can Vander Blue slash/drive to the hoop and score and/or dish to an open man?  He seems to be very passive on offense or only settling for jump shots.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 04:56:21 PM »
Can Vander Blue slash/drive to the hoop and score and/or dish to an open man?  He seems to be very passive on offense or only settling for jump shots.

You haven't seen him slash/drive to the hoop at all? He's been a fantastic driver this year when he's taken the opportunity, oftentimes getting to the hoop untouched. He's clearly still working into the offense, but once he commits to attacking, he's got great instincts for getting into the lane and scoring. He's had quite a few layups this year doing just that.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 09:42:48 PM »
We Are Marquette----But let's play some competition. Who in the hell is Longwood. Next we'll be playing the Retired Notre Dame Nuns University. You can't build a program on cup cakes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 09:51:45 PM »
Sounds like Cadougan is not starting. Probably be Blue and Bucyks.

Crowder and Cadougan should be the starters, but Buzz has a huge man crush on Bucyks.

First of all...it's Buycks.

Second, read what he says:  "I think Junior is the best on our team at creating for others. I think he's the worst perimeter player on our team at playing extended minutes at both ends of the floor as effectively as we need him to play."

In other words, Buzz certainly realizes that Junior is the best pure point on the team, but he doesn't have the conditioning and/or focus to play extended minutes.

And finally, stop worrying about who starts.  Again from Buzz:

"And instead of thinking about who's starting or who's finishing or getting caught up in all of that, I need to do a better job relative to our team of, 'It's a 40-minute game, and what's the best rotation and our best combination of players that gives us our best chance over 40 minutes?'"

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 09:55:32 PM »
You cannot have Cadougan and Blue on the floor together, because neither of them are offensive threats. Buyckes makes some mistakes, but he has more upside than Cadougan. Look at Cadougan's stats against UWM, he is not the answer.

Buycks is a senior and Cadougan is an inexperienced sophomore, coming back from a serious injury. I'd say Cadougan has more upside, especially given his great court vision.

Now, I do think that Buycks has more potential to explode in a game, getting hot and being more dominant than Cadougan might be. But that's focusing more on scoring as THE contribution. Cadougan getting "hot" means he's got the offense running very well, he's making smart and impressive passes. I think that is as likely as Buycks scoring a bunch, it's just a bit less obvious.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 10:16:20 PM »
I have to admit, I'm really looking forward to this game, more so than any other cupcake of the past couple years. Longwood plays at a very fast pace, and this should be an offensive showcase. Really hoping Marquette can put up triple digits, with our defense, they may need it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 07:27:51 AM »
We Are Marquette----But let's play some competition. Who in the hell is Longwood. Next we'll be playing the Retired Notre Dame Nuns University. You can't build a program on cup cakes.
Yeah, the Duke's, Gonzaga's, Vandy's and Wiscy's of the world suck!    This is a young team that needs some cupcakes.    We have them every year.   Many reasons, including needing X number of home games to be profitable as an athletic program and a limited number of schools willing to take the buy games.    Are UWM and GB cupcakes?    Apparently, we need to schedule them to build up good will in the state.    Do you really want to have an OOC schedule like Sparty's and then go into the BEast?    With this year's team, that is a recipe for the NIT. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 10:01:28 AM »
Yeah, the Duke's, Gonzaga's, Vandy's and Wiscy's of the world suck!    This is a young team that needs some cupcakes.    We have them every year.   Many reasons, including needing X number of home games to be profitable as an athletic program and a limited number of schools willing to take the buy games.    Are UWM and GB cupcakes?    Apparently, we need to schedule them to build up good will in the state.    Do you really want to have an OOC schedule like Sparty's and then go into the BEast?    With this year's team, that is a recipe for the NIT. 

I do believe that tough non conference schedules prepare you for conference and the Big Dance. Look what Duke and MSU do virtually every year. Would rather take that road than padding your record with cupcakes, which does nothing but hurt your RPI.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 10:09:33 AM »
I live in VA and have a neighbor whose daughter goes to Longwood. It is a very small, conservative Christian college  whose bb style is anything but. They run and shoot with abandon. Yet MU can go inside all day. Praise the lord and step to the foul line Jimmy and Jay.         

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 10:16:55 AM »
Wish the game were televised.  We will have to listen to it on the radio.  Darn.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 11:51:52 AM »
I live in VA and have a neighbor whose daughter goes to Longwood. It is a very small, conservative Christian college 

No it isn't.  It's a public university.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 12:09:08 PM »

St. Thomas
Western Michigan
Centenary
St. Leo
Drake
St. Joe's (Indiana)
Northern Michigan
St. John's (Minn)
Portland
North Texas State
UW-Milwaukee
Army