Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Welcome Jack Anderson! by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:05:25 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 08:59:26 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 07:24:03 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What does Shaka need to get done in Year 2 for you to remain a Ya-ka?

Serious BE or NCAA success - Top 3, BET title or S16 or better
13 (6.3%)
Just win a f'in NCAA game
62 (29.8%)
Make the Dance
68 (32.7%)
.500 BE Season, NIT
36 (17.3%)
Don't lose to any of the cupcakes.
3 (1.4%)
Results don't matter. Trust the Process.
17 (8.2%)
Arby's
9 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 208

Author Topic: Shaka Year 2  (Read 10300 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: Shaka Year 2
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2022, 03:07:55 PM »
I am not saying Justin made a bad decision in any way. There are still a lot of factors for him.

But its ludicrous to imply he tears his acl if he stays.

I'm not saying he would have. But this outcome is better for him had he come back and done something similar.
VIOLENCE!

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2022, 03:23:10 PM »
Wojo's Stan Johnson'srecruiting wasn't the issue.  He pulled in higher ranked talent than what Shaka is pulling in.  So the boring press conferences didn't seem to give much indication as to how Wojo would be in a recruit's living room.

Sean Miller seems boring.  He find$ way$ to lure in recruit$ anyway$.  Rick Barnes pretty boring.  Greg Gard pretty boring.  Tony Bennett.  Dana Altman.  Mark Few.
 Bob Huggins.  Bill Self.  They're all over the place.  You don't have to win the press conference to win recruiting battles.

Fixed.   8-)  But, you are correct in that coaching was Wojo's biggest weakness.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2022, 03:23:43 PM »
I'm not saying he would have. But this outcome is better for him had he come back and done something similar.
Is it though? He could’ve taken a medical redshirt, came back and proven himself again on the college stage. Now he’s unemployed, rehabbing from an ACL injury on his own dime and time.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2022, 03:35:40 PM »
Is it though? He could’ve taken a medical redshirt, came back and proven himself again on the college stage. Now he’s unemployed, rehabbing from an ACL injury on his own dime and time.

He may be unemployed but I sincerely doubt he’s doing any rehab on his own dime. He’s still around the Bulls if not officially under contract.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2022, 03:46:38 PM »
Fixed.   8-)  But, you are correct in that coaching was Wojo's biggest weakness.

Ah got it.  Yeah, top recruits usually pick what assistant coaches they want to play for.

So then when Wojo landed 3 starters on this year's deep, talented roster, plus one of the top transfers in the country, while Stan was off to LMU it was thanks to...Killings, I guess.

Again, looking to who wins the press conference and deciding that guy can recruit because he's can walk into a living room and sell a recruit makes no sense.  Wojo was landing the higher ranked recruits despite losing the press conferences.  Tons of boring coaches out there absolutely kill it in recruiting.  It's a lazy argument.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2022, 04:23:15 PM »
He is rehabbing on Bulls coin unless they lied in their tweeter feed. Which leads to believe they're interested in him.
Goal is National Championship

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2022, 05:40:02 PM »
He probably does not tear his ACL if he stayed at MU.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2022, 08:06:14 PM »
He probably does not tear his ACL if he stayed at MU.
Why? He was training on his own not Bulls related. Probably would have been doing same off season while at MU. You understand these guys while at MU do that, right?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2022, 08:11:00 PM »
Why? He was training on his own not Bulls related. Probably would have been doing same off season while at MU. You understand these guys while at MU do that, right?

So he would have been on the exact same court and the exact same time if he was at MU?

You realize most ACL injuries are a complete fluke due to the moment right?

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2022, 09:35:28 PM »
Maybe he would have ruptured his Achilles instead.

It’s a dopey argument.

I blame Wojo for the injury, anyway.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2022, 10:01:46 PM »
So he would have been on the exact same court and the exact same time if he was at MU?

You realize most ACL injuries are a complete fluke due to the moment right?
Yes and your point is? Could happen whenever and he is getting Bulls best care.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2022, 10:07:15 PM »
Yes and your point is? Could happen whenever and he is getting Bulls best care.

My point was blatant you appear to daft to see it.

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

1SE

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2022, 03:18:03 AM »
The late season fade last year was disheartening, but in the end Shaka did take something and produce more than the sum of its parts.

If he can do that again this year (i.e. make the tourney - win a game there) I would feel really good about the trajectory - especially if there's no backsliding into March. Success begets success and if Shaka can bring in just a bit better talent (while continuing to make the talent more than the sum of its parts) we're back where we want to be - a program that is consistently thinking about late March runs.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2022, 06:19:02 AM »
Anyway you cut it, he had body language
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2022, 07:29:03 AM »
Anyway you cut it, he had body language
Yeah it was better for the team that he left.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2022, 09:08:17 AM »
After listening to Shaka's post-game interview this AM and reading the comments on that thread, I think getting this up today is timely.

When Shaka was hired, I thought that being the BE #3 in year 3 would be an attainable goal. Since then, Jay left Nova and Matta and Miller have been added to the BE mix along with Holloway. Gonzaga may join, so the coaches (and possibly a team) have been/will be added to the BE scenario. Yet with the possible exception of Gonzaga joining the BE, "3 in 3" is still my take.

Getting back to the thread title, Shaka Year 2, this year I expect exactly what Shaka said in his Purdue post-game interview- "our goal is to grow".  I am not expecting a season significantly better or worse than last year, although I do think we will finish stronger at the end for a change.   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2023, 04:06:35 AM »
Clearly I set the bar on these options too low, but amazing that 50%+ would have been happy with just making the tourney this year (or less).

I'd say this season is turning out better than anyone's wildest dreams. We were apparently all COLE - even Goose.

I am going with my prediction from last year, safely in NCAA by end of February January. Top five one in BE and one NCAA win title.

Now to get that sweet sweet tourney success.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 04:11:21 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2023, 06:13:06 AM »
If you don't think this team will dance, it's because you don't realize how F*ck'n good Tyler Kolek is. 

Buckle up. 

Playing on Friday at MSG
Playing for a trip to the S16

Let’s Dance
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2023, 06:25:22 AM »
Year 2 so far:

tower912

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2023, 06:44:10 AM »
Safe to say that we have proof of concept.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2023, 07:29:59 AM »
It has been an unreal season and the team/program has way exceeded my high expectations. IMO, the team chemistry has been one of the biggest reasons behind the success this season. It really is a special team bond, and it shows what working for a common goal can accomplish. To keep a group of young guys on the same page for entire season is no easy task.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2023, 07:48:15 AM »
It has been an unreal season and the team/program has way exceeded my high expectations. IMO, the team chemistry has been one of the biggest reasons behind the success this season. It really is a special team bond, and it shows what working for a common goal can accomplish. To keep a group of young guys on the same page for entire season is no easy task.

We got this season what I'd thought we'd get next. We got last season, what I expected this season. Clearly Shaka is way ahead of plan and shows the value of getting "your guys" on the roster from the get go even if you didn't originally sign them.

I think there is no other sign how good Shaka is in fitting the pieces into the whole than Kam and Stevie (and even Justin).  No way would Shaka have ever recruited them, yet he has made them all into key pieces. And they bought in fully which says a lot about them but even more about Shaka.

As a fan, nothing says it more than the Vesties actually getting out of their seats. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2023, 07:59:09 AM »
Dr. B

I fall into the vestie age group, but this old guy gets out of his seat, even if at home watching on TV. But, I agree that it sure looks like all MU fans have bought into the Shaka era. I had two guys, my age, come up to me after Mass yesterday to talk MU basketball. I frickin love it!!!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2023, 08:02:04 AM »
We got this season what I'd thought we'd get next. We got last season, what I expected this season. Clearly Shaka is way ahead of plan and shows the value of getting "your guys" on the roster from the get go even if you didn't originally sign them.

I think there is no other sign how good Shaka is in fitting the pieces into the whole than Kam and Stevie (and even Justin).  No way would Shaka have ever recruited them, yet he has made them all into key pieces. And they bought in fully which says a lot about them but even more about Shaka.

As a fan, nothing says it more than the Vesties actually getting out of their seats.

I could see Shaka trying to recruit Stevie out of HS, but yeah, not Kam.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2023, 08:22:11 AM »
Dr. B

I fall into the vestie age group, but this old guy gets out of his seat, even if at home watching on TV. But, I agree that it sure looks like all MU fans have bought into the Shaka era. I had two guys, my age, come up to me after Mass yesterday to talk MU basketball. I frickin love it!!!

Vestie isn't an age, it's a mentality.  For years I sat right behind Father Wild and Bill in the Vestie Section of the BC and we were the most animated and basketball savvy of the bunch. Rick Smith wears a sweater vest but he ain't no Vestie.

feedback