[Today at 10:36:59 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Chicago St thoughts  (Read 5687 times)

tower912

• All American
Chicago St thoughts
« on: December 21, 2015, 08:27:57 PM »
1.  MU played like a young team after a 9 day layoff.   Lots of energy, sloppy.
2.  Defensive intensity was lacking.
3.  Nice to see 3 pt shots go in. 
4.  Lots of guys in double figures.
5. Glad to see Wally, JJ, Heldt, Sacar, get run.
6.  Freshmen look good, freshmen look like freshmen.   
7.  Some cringeworthy moments.
8.  I think that seeing Luke roll the ankle inspired Wojo to clear the bench.   Hopefully, he is ok.
9.  I admired how Chicago St attacked and shot the ball tonight.   
10.  Merry Christmas to all.   
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:38:07 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
Re: Chicago St thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 08:35:43 PM »
I really don't have any thoughts. Sloppy offense, but we put up 91 points because we got to the line. Our defense was good but they just made a lot of contested or deep jump shots.

It was an irritating game to watch, but we won and if Luke's injury is nothing then it was successful. One more game until conference season.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:47:38 PM by MuEagle1090 »

brandx

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »
We played so-so.

Chicago St. played their best game of the season.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »
Defense was terrible...CS had wide open looks all night.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 08:48:14 PM »
Close and sloppy enough for Wojo to keep their attention.

Take the W and run.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 08:50:03 PM »
We played so-so.

And last year that would have resulted in an Omaha or at best NJIT sort of game.  Instead it was a comfortable if not dominating win.  It's nice to be able to watch again without throwing up every game.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 08:51:57 PM »
Love to see the talent and depth on this team.  Much, much better than last year.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 08:52:28 PM »
Chicago State made a lot of contested shots......and some bombs by Simms. They played like they had nothing to lose and it worked for them. MU missed a bunch of no footers.

Teams that press are going to give us problems.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 08:55:15 PM »
Chicago State made a lot of contested shots......and some bombs by Simms. They played like they had nothing to lose and it worked for them. MU missed a bunch of no footers.

Teams that press are going to give us problems.

Great point about the press.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 08:59:58 PM »
JJJ is probably our best ball handler and a crafty passer.

He can't play PG obviously but I'd have him be more active against pressure rather than the other 3.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

mug644

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 09:02:40 PM »
I only heard it on the radio, but was definitely wondering and worried about breaking the press. Mac or Homer asked when Henry might come back to help on the press. What were they trying to do to break it? Seems like Henry would be great placed between the midcourt circle and the three point line to receive a pass and either distribute or get it across himself.

Is this another area for Traci to work on?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 09:05:40 PM »
It is particularly noticeable when Traci is out of the game.   The combo of Haanif and Duane struggle.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 09:07:58 PM »
We played so-so.

And we still won by 17 and it was never close.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 09:12:30 PM »
I can't tell you how disappointed I was on Duane's lazy, soft passes against that press. And this was after I saw the old DWill jawing with other players showing the swagger he plays best with. Good Duane, bad Duane. Waiting for it all to come together.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 09:12:57 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 09:15:14 PM »
I question #2. We forced 21 turnovers with 14 steals. That's plenty of defensive intensity. They were just hitting shots like nobody's business. I saw hands in faces, they just went in anyway.

Obviously their were things to work on but if Chi state has a normal shooting game, we would have been praising our d.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 09:39:13 PM »
I question #2. We forced 21 turnovers with 14 steals. That's plenty of defensive intensity. They were just hitting shots like nobody's business. I saw hands in faces, they just went in anyway.

Obviously their were things to work on but if Chi state has a normal shooting game, we would have been praising our d.

Agreed... They shot 32% from three going into tonight. Bombed away and made a bunch of em.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 09:40:20 PM »
The game made me worried about how we are going to play defense against Villanova? Villanova likes to shoot a lot of threes.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 09:42:20 PM »
I don't get how people are criticizing MU'S 3 point defense. There were some open looks but my god, a lot of those 3s were with hands in faces and from NBA range.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 09:45:54 PM »
The game made me worried about how we are going to play defense against Villanova? Villanova likes to shoot a lot of threes.

Hope that they go 4-31 like against Oklahoma?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 10:05:10 PM »
Hard to tell much from games like these, weak opponent, coupled with the layoff and upcoming Christmas break.  Didn't like how we handled the press, how we came out in either half, and early shooting and finishing.

OTOH, we didn't play that well, and we coasted with about 10 dominating minutes in the first half.  Good enough, I suppose.  Once we got going we started making 3s which was nice.  I'm starting to think good things when Sandy takes a 3.

I can't wait until we get to the Big East.  These games aren't much of a barometer.  I'm starting to think we are pretty good, but it is hard to tell.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 10:13:38 PM »
It is particularly noticeable when Traci is out of the game.   The combo of Haanif and Duane struggle.

Tower, I almost always agree with your assessment, but Traci was bad against the press today.  He had 3 TOs  and Wojo was playing Duane in his place because of some lazy passes that led to TOs.

Duane was far from perfect, but he did better against the press tonight than Traci.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 10:31:41 PM »
Chicago State made a lot of contested shots......and some bombs by Simms. They played like they had nothing to lose and it worked for them.

My wife said, "Holy crap, do they always shoot like this?"

I went and looked it up. They came in shooting 41% from the floor and 33% from 3. They were throwing it in with some crazy, contested shots.

Sims came in shooting 37% from the floor and 34% from 3. Tonight he was 10-16 from the floor, including 6-9 from 3. And the funny thing is most of his misses were when he was open. It was the hand-in-face, 25-footers he was draining.

I don't think we played stellar defense, but Sims especially was out of his mind tonight. It happens.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 11:24:51 PM »

Sims came in shooting 37% from the floor and 34% from 3. Tonight he was 10-16 from the floor, including 6-9 from 3. And the funny thing is most of his misses were when he was open. It was the hand-in-face, 25-footers he was draining.

I noticed that, too. Reminded me of the Big O. Very average on wide open shots, but put a hand in his face and he was money.

brandx

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2015, 11:26:30 PM »
Tower, I almost always agree with your assessment, but Traci was bad against the press today.  He had 3 TOs  and Wojo was playing Duane in his place because of some lazy passes that led to TOs.

Duane was far from perfect, but he did better against the press tonight than Traci.

I think I agree with Tower, here. I thought Traci had a rough game - but weren't all of his turnovers in the front court? I know at least two of them were.

feedback