[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: should have started Ooze from day One  (Read 5560 times)

StillWarriors

• All American
Re: should have started Ooze from day One
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 12:35:21 PM »
I saw Crean speak at a pre-season luncheon in Chicago, and he clearly seemed to be implying some dissatisfaction with Ooze. Without coming right out and saying it, he seemed to be suggesting that they have a tough time motivating Ooze and that they weren't sure what they would get out of him.  I suspect the apparent early season doghouse may have been related to that.

Frankly, I think they have to ride Ooze. You simply can't compete in the BE or at tourney time with a frontline maxed out at 6'7". Burke and Mbakwe are fine with spot duty, but Ooze brings something they simply can't with his size, ability to block/alter shots and his underappreciated ability to run the floor and jump out on the high screens. Louisville abused us in the first game on the jump out, but that was because no one rotated down low like we did very well on Friday night.

However it happened, Ooze is now playing with confidence, scoring well from the short corners (shades of the WI game) and taking some pressure off the guards to carry us on the boards. Our ceiling is much higher with Ooze in there than without him.

SqueallyDRyan

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
I agree that OOze should be starting now.  But there is no question that earlier in the year Burke was playing much better.  That is all I am saying
It's not the size of your Diener; its how you use it

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 02:41:12 PM »

I think what this proves is no one is as smart as you are SJS.  Of course most should be forgiven for not picking up on TC's ways as you considering you are Tom Crean. 

Well, at least I know my limitations.  For example, I don't come on the board suggesting that I know so much more about a player's medical conditions than the doctors who actually examined him that I can state he needs seven more months of rehabilitation. :D

Seriously, though, I don't understand the reason for your personal insult.  We have people in this thread who posted messages that are based on the assumption that the better player on paper should automatically get playing time.  That would be completely alien to the way Crean has allocated time over the past nine seasons.

In my view, this is a simple matter:  Ooze wasn't playing well early before the the season and through the first half of the Big East season.   I think he's playing better the last few games because he now understands the consequences of his lack of execution.

If you agree, then skip the insults and say so.  If you disagree, then add something useful to the conversation rather than just the lame dig you posted. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 03:14:55 PM by Marquette84 »

mviale

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »
I understand the approach used by Crean and it worked for chapman, but it didnt work for a 10pt/10 reb guy in the BE.  Chapman was never in that class.  The reason why we flailed in rebounding was because Ooze was not starting.  He is a legit 10/10 guy and deserved to start the whole season.  This didnt motivate ooze, ooze is just picking up where he left off last year - he is proven.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 08:04:47 PM »
It doesn't matter if Barro starts or comes off the bench.  If he gets into foul trouble, we will struggle against teams with talented big men. 

Crean rewards players that work and play hard every day and IMO he should keep that philosophy.