* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 05:23:28 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Recapping Vander Blue's successful day in Chicago  (Read 7921 times)

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
Sorry if this is cluttering up the top of the board, so mods feel free to move it if that's the case:

http://painttouches.com/2013/05/17/recapping-vander-blues-successful-day-in-chicago/

JD

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Recapping Vander Blue's successful day in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »
Thanks for the info Mark.

So Blue is fast, and cannot shoot that great.  Nothing new from the past 3 years.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:51:42 PM »
Thanks for the info Mark.

So Blue is fast, and cannot shoot that great.  Nothing new from the past 3 years.
6' 5 1/2" is a huge surprise to me...

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 10:57:35 PM »
First Round. Book it. Too big and fast plus a great tournament and from a program that delivers "undervalued assets." Someone takes a flyer late in the first.
We Are Marquette

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 11:03:11 PM »
First Round. Book it. Too big and fast plus a great tournament and from a program that delivers "undervalued assets." Someone takes a flyer late in the first.

Watch Tom Duncan tomorrow. He's a 7' power forward/center who's well, well past his prime and close to retirement. He routinely hits bank shots from further out than Vander can make 25% of his shots from. Just about every starting big in the NBA shoots the ball better than Vander does. There's not a ton of room in the NBA for shooting guards who can't shoot from college 3 point range. If someone takes him in the first round they better be prepared to pay a salary for a guy to spend 2-3 years entirely remaking his jump shot in the D League.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:04:49 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 11:43:54 PM »

I hope you are right Commons. I really do think he has a lot of upside but I am no expert in this.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 06:43:19 AM »
Watch Tom Duncan tomorrow. He's a 7' power forward/center who's well, well past his prime and close to retirement. He routinely hits bank shots from further out than Vander can make 25% of his shots from. Just about every starting big in the NBA shoots the ball better than Vander does. There's not a ton of room in the NBA for shooting guards who can't shoot from college 3 point range. If someone takes him in the first round they better be prepared to pay a salary for a guy to spend 2-3 years entirely remaking his jump shot in the D League.

Yes.  You are right.  Vander Blue will not be as good as Tim Duncan.

And I have pointed this out before, Vander's stats aren't all that much different than the top five SGs taken last year.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=austin-rivers&i=1&p1=vander-blue&p2=bradley-beal&p3=dion-walters&p4=terrence-ross&p5=jeremy-lamb

I still don't think he is first round, but IMO he's getting drafted.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 09:37:46 AM »

Yes.  You are right.  Vander Blue will not be as good as Tim Duncan.

And I have pointed this out before, Vander's stats aren't all that much different than the top five SGs taken last year.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=austin-rivers&i=1&p1=vander-blue&p2=bradley-beal&p3=dion-walters&p4=terrence-ross&p5=jeremy-lamb

I still don't think he is first round, but IMO he's getting drafted.

Agreed, I think he will get drafted mid-second round, I'm just saying I don't think someone is going to spend a 1st round pick (guaranteed contract) on a shooting guard who can't shoot.  Someone will, however, see his size and athleticism and take a chance that over 2 or 3 years he'll find some sort of respectable outside shot and turn into a valuable player to have.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 01:22:14 PM »
Agreed, I think he will get drafted mid-second round, I'm just saying I don't think someone is going to spend a 1st round pick (guaranteed contract) on a shooting guard who can't shoot.  Someone will, however, see his size and athleticism and take a chance that over 2 or 3 years he'll find some sort of respectable outside shot and turn into a valuable player to have.

If Jimmy and Lazar went in the first, so will Vander.

His raw assets and MU pedigree will elevate his stock. Jimmy and Wes and Jae did a lot of heavy lifting for Blue.
We Are Marquette

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »

His raw assets and MU pedigree will elevate his stock. Jimmy and Wes and Jae did a lot of heavy lifting for Blue.

+1000

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »

Solid Second.

Why waste 1st round money on a non-front court defender with an iffy but improving shot?
Might as well use it on a Euro you can stash away.

Second round is the home of the "flyers".
SS Marquette

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 02:31:50 PM »

Last year tony wroten went 25th over all after hitting on 16% of his threes.  It could happen.
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/washington/tony-wroten

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 03:09:15 PM »
Wroten is listed at 6'5" and I thought that might be overstated, so I wanted to see how he measured at the NBA Combine last year.

NBA Combine Results
                      w/o shoes  /  w/ shoes  /  wt  /  wingspan  /  reach  /  body fat  /  hand length  /  handwidth
Tony Wroten:     6'4.75"  /  6'6"  /  203.2  /  6'9"  /  8'5"  /  5.2  /  8.00  /  9.00
Vander Blue:      6'3.5''  /   6' 5.25''  /  197.4  /  6' 6''  /  8' 4.5''  /  4.6  /  8.5  /  9.5
Wroten is taller and has a larger wingspan. But Vander's hands are bigger and his reach is just as impressive for almost being 2" smaller.

In the end, economics - not the combine results - will rule this draft.  Players entered knowing that it was a weak draft, and the NBA teams know it as well.  With looming FAs in the horizon and a better draft class next year, I predict more Euros will be drafted in the first round and possibly the second round to save them money.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:12:12 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »
Second rounder, still.

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »
Wroten is listed at 6'5" and I thought that might be overstated, so I wanted to see how he measured at the NBA Combine last year.

NBA Combine Results
                      w/o shoes  /  w/ shoes  /  wt  /  wingspan  /  reach  /  body fat  /  hand length  /  handwidth
Tony Wroten:     6'4.75"  /  6'6"  /  203.2  /  6'9"  /  8'5"  /  5.2  /  8.00  /  9.00
Vander Blue:      6'3.5''  /   6' 5.25''  /  197.4  /  6' 6''  /  8' 4.5''  /  4.6  /  8.5  /  9.5
Wroten is taller and has a larger wingspan. But Vander's hands are bigger and his reach is just as impressive for almost being 2" smaller.

In the end, economics - not the combine results - will rule this draft.  Players entered knowing that it was a weak draft, and the NBA teams know it as well.  With looming FAs in the horizon and a better draft class next year, I predict more Euros will be drafted in the first round and possibly the second round to save them money.

You're rounding 1.25 up to 2?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 10:47:25 PM »
Solid Second.

Why waste 1st round money on a non-front court defender with an iffy but improving shot?
Might as well use it on a Euro you can stash away.

Second round is the home of the "flyers".

Look at some of these mocks. If you we're an NBA GM, would you risk your career on Vander or a 5'10" Shane Larkin? Vander by far.

Show me one guy Larkin's size in the league. Nate Robinson is only 5'8", but he's all muscle and as wide as he is short and tough as nails.
We Are Marquette

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 11:05:35 PM »
Look at some of these mocks. If you we're an NBA GM, would you risk your career on Vander or a 5'10" Shane Larkin? Vander by far.

Give me Larkin, even at 5-10, any day of the week. He's just as athletic, and a far, far better player than Vander.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 01:49:51 AM »
I predict more Euros will be drafted in the first round and possibly the second round to save them money.

Highest number of international players in the draft since 2005, the year Bogut went #1 overall.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 03:50:33 AM »
Give me Larkin, even at 5-10, any day of the week. He's just as athletic, and a far, far better player than Vander.

Wow

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 06:08:58 AM »
Are you kidding me!? You risk it on a true PG ALWAYS especially one the pedigree andname of Larkin all d ay long.
MU has developed its basketball profile to the point after DWade where it is forgiveable and plausible to take a gamble on one of their players in a hit and miss situation but usually on cats who stayed 4 years.
But as much as I am a fan of Vander you take Shane Larkin all day long and night...He is a safer gamble.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 06:16:03 AM »

His raw assets and MU pedigree will elevate his stock. Jimmy and Wes and Jae did a lot of heavy lifting for Blue. E
Totally different players....both 4 year guys with complete games

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 07:01:22 AM »

Even with his "medical condition"? That is a big "if" when considering giving a kid guaranteed millions, especially an undersized "if".

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 03:25:58 PM »
Sorry if this is cluttering up the top of the board, so mods feel free to move it if that's the case:

http://painttouches.com/2013/05/17/recapping-vander-blues-successful-day-in-chicago/

Never a problem, we're just having technical difficulties with pulling in feeds.  In the meantime, I have added a panel on the left side that shows recent Paint Touches articles.  Feel free to keep posting them here though, if usually drives good conversation.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 04:46:01 PM »

Not so sure Jay was BEAST player of the year and he went in the second round.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 04:46:22 PM »

Show me one guy Larkin's size in the league. Nate Robinson is only 5'8", but he's all muscle and as wide as he is short and tough as nails.

Ty Lawson.  More muscular than Larkin but pretty comparable in size.  

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 04:59:49 PM »
Maybe we have been looking at this wrong.

What appreciable skill(s) would Vander have to display to be a 1st rounder?

Better shooting? OK
Better distribution? OK.

Everything else, he's already pretty good at, and he's arguably ok at the 2 things listed above.

I guess if a GM thinks Vander can improve his shooting, he's worth at least a second round pick. He should be able to defend both guard positions, and provide nice role-player minutes. If he develops a decent 3pter, he'll be a rotational player. If he doesn't, he'll be in the d-league.

I guess he should def. be a second rounder.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 06:42:55 PM »
Maybe we have been looking at this wrong.

What appreciable skill(s) would Vander have to display to be a 1st rounder?

Better shooting? OK
Better distribution? OK.

Everything else, he's already pretty good at, and he's arguably ok at the 2 things listed above.

I guess if a GM thinks Vander can improve his shooting, he's worth at least a second round pick. He should be able to defend both guard positions, and provide nice role-player minutes. If he develops a decent 3pter, he'll be a rotational player. If he doesn't, he'll be in the d-league.

I guess he should def. be a second rounder.

What evidence do we have of Vander being a good distributor.  His 1.8 assists per game (2.3 turnovers) last year is not really indicative of being even arguably ok given that he intends on playing point.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »
Ty Lawson.  More muscular than Larkin but pretty comparable in size.  

Lawson is listed as 5'11" and 195 lbs. Larkin is 170 lbs. Larkin apparently had freakish numbers at the combine, though. Still think he'll get beat up in league.
We Are Marquette

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 08:07:07 PM »
What evidence do we have of Vander being a good distributor.  His 1.8 assists per game (2.3 turnovers) last year is not really indicative of being even arguably ok given that he intends on playing point.

Vander's assist/turnover #s don't mean anything from a year he was relied upon to be a primary scorer. He didn't play pg and he was counted on having a high offensive usage, that = low assists and might skew turnovers up in situations he's trying to force scoring when nobody else is.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 08:45:45 PM »
How successful could his day have been for him to drop out of all the mocks?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 09:26:14 PM »
Last year tony wroten went 25th over all after hitting on 16% of his threes.  It could happen.
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/washington/tony-wroten

Wroten is the real deal. Not only was he 1st Team Pac 12 & Pac 12 Freshman of the Year but his bloodlines are impeccable. His parents were stars at U Dub, with his father playing for the Bucs as a TE. Mother and aunt were both All Americans. His cousin is Nate Robinson. Wroten struggled from deep but he averaged 17/5/3 in his one season at U Dub.

Death on call

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 09:39:49 PM »
Vander's assist/turnover #s don't mean anything from a year he was relied upon to be a primary scorer. He didn't play pg and he was counted on having a high offensive usage, that = low assists and might skew turnovers up in situations he's trying to force scoring when nobody else is.

Understood, but that means we have 0 evidence of his being able to distribute at even a passable level, which was my point.

As others have noted Jerel McNeal put up 20 pts per game and 4 assists his senior year and people questioned his ability to distribute well enough to play point.  Vander's numbers in a similar offensive role were significantly worse. 

Again I wish the kid the best, and think he has the potential to be a good player in the league, but he really needs someone to bite on potential, the stats don't support a draft pick at this point.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 09:58:59 PM »
Vander will have to wow a team in workouts to demonstrate he can be even a passable point guard. At MU, he rarely if ever displayed PG skills and intangibles: penetrate and kick; distribute on break; make teammates better; organize the offense; beat pressure in the backcourt; court sense; great ballhandling; etc. That's not his fault because that's not how he was used, but it is a fact.

It would be a real leap of faith for a team at the highest level of basketball to look at Vander's body of work and say: "Of course he can be an NBA point guard."

Still, as many have said, all it takes is one team. One only needs to look at some of the horrible players drafted in the first round over the years to say, "Hey, Vander's better this year than they were in their years."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 11:16:32 PM »
One only needs to look at some of the horrible players drafted in the first round over the years

Robert Swift

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/03/nba-star-hoarder-foreclosed-robert-swift-downfall-caused-parents-greed-claims/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:20:06 PM by keefe »

Death on call

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 08:56:05 AM »

It's a fair point.

I don't really have a statistic to back up my claim that he is an "ok" distributor.

I'm really just using the eye test. The kid isn't Magic Johnson, but he's also not a black hole either. Also, I think if MU had a knock-down 3pt shooter on the wing, Vander's (and Junior's) assist numbers would look better. How many times did MU drive and kick the ball to a guy who either missed the jumpshot, or didn't even take the jumpshot?

I think he might be good enough to be a combo guard off of the bench. Still a longshot, but I'm coming around to the idea.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »
Bleacher Report has Vander going with the 53 pick in the draft (second round) to the Indianapolis Pacers.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 03:04:05 PM »
Where was I when the New Orleans Hornets became the Pelicans?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »
Where was I when the New Orleans Hornets became the Pelicans?

Officially?  A couple months ago.  Rumors came out late last year.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »
Seth Davis ‏@SethDavisHoops  3h 
Vander Blue playing some point but doesn't look natural. It's why he should have gone back to Marquette for one more year

Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress  3h 
Lots of everything from Vander Blue today. Made tough shots, also made some very poor decisions. Great athlete. All in all a solid showing.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 07:15:39 PM »
Wroten is the real deal. Not only was he 1st Team Pac 12 & Pac 12 Freshman of the Year but his bloodlines are impeccable. His parents were stars at U Dub, with his father playing for the Bucs as a TE. Mother and aunt were both All Americans. His cousin is Nate Robinson. Wroten struggled from deep but he averaged 17/5/3 in his one season at U Dub.

Wow.  Moomoo bashed me for mentioning high school rankings as a potential factor in a draft and you are going with extended family.

feedback