'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] The 10 most incredible Marquette stats  (Read 8891 times)

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
[Paint Touches] The 10 most incredible Marquette stats
« on: April 21, 2013, 02:13:12 PM »
Shameful plug, but I didn't see it pop up on the RSS feed this morning.

Some of these stats really are wild. 1, 7 and 9 really made my jaw drop when I looked them up.

Enjoy.

http://painttouches.com/2013/04/21/the-10-most-incredible-marquette-statistics/

Markusquette

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] The 10 most incredible Marquette stats
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 03:55:40 PM »
Number 1 has me absolutely stumped.  How is that possible?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:14:51 PM »

He also only took one charge according to Buzz. 

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:52:47 AM »

His steals stat must be off the chart because his individual defense was quit amazing this year. I also thought his consecutive 3 point streak would have been longer.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 10:07:18 AM »

Buzz went nutso over that.  He talked about it a lot during the post-game.  The more amazing thing, is it wasn't just this season, but for his career.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 10:20:05 AM »
Some of these stats really are wild. 1, 7 and 9 really made my jaw drop when I looked them up.

Number 7 regarding Derrick Wilson. 
I haven't seen Duane Wilson play a single minute.  Because Derrick makes so few mistakes (2 TO/40 minutes for the season, 5 assists per/40), his solid defense, and has the confidence of Buzz (he would have started him if it weren't his loyalty to Junior), I don't seen Duane supplanting the role.  Duane will have to be pretty spectacular and up to speed to supplant Derrick.  (I know he's hard at work trying to - which is awesome). 
But I didn't find it that surprising - he had one game with more than 2 turnovers - 4 in a 20 pt win over Savannah State.

Fun stats, thanks for putting it together. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 10:21:49 AM »
#7 is the reason Derrick should be the starter to begin next year. I know he's not a playmaker or prolific scorer, but there's no reason he can't play 25 mpg and get 6 ppg and 3 apg. People may expect the offense to stagnate, but if he's on the floor with four other guys that can score, he'll likely find ways to succeed, especially with Buzz's confidence in his corner.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 12:12:22 PM »
#7 is the reason Derrick should be the starter to begin next year. I know he's not a playmaker or prolific scorer, but there's no reason he can't play 25 mpg and get 6 ppg and 3 apg. People may expect the offense to stagnate, but if he's on the floor with four other guys that can score, he'll likely find ways to succeed, especially with Buzz's confidence in his corner.

He is a good defender and effective in not giving away a possession, but to say he is not a prolific scorer is quite an understatement.  Although the sample size is small, he is statistically one of the worst shooters in college basketball at 27% FG, 14% 3P, 45% FT.  Unless he makes a dramatic improvement, opponents will beg him to shoot it.  When you are playing 4 against 5 on offense, it makes it a lot more difficult for the other 4 guys to score.  This could be a significant weakness next year.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »
Derrick probably has a ceiling based on number of minutes he can play due to his offensive ability. And I'm not saying that because he doesn't score. He simply doesn't create much on the floor offensively. Sure, he rarely turns in over...but that's because he's really not doing much of anything in regards to "creating" shots for other guys.

(I think of it very similar to the way QBs get labelled "Game manager")

Not bashing the guy by any means - but I think he will be a career "back up" PG. Reliable. Can get stops. Doesn't turn it over.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 12:32:34 PM »

Sure, Derrick Wilson doesn't turn the ball over, but he also doesn't threaten to score, and he doesn't get assists.  It's easy not to turn the ball over when your touches consist of dribbling around 25-30 feet from the basket and then passing back to someone who is even further from the basket.  His value up until now is that he has been a good defender (though a bit foul-prone) and that he doesn't get his pocket picked much.  

If he is going to be our PG next year, he had better turn the ball over more often, because he has to initiate offense, which means getting into the teeth of the defense (or at least probing it) and trying to find good shots for guys.  Up until now, he hasn't done that.  As a starting PG getting 25 mpg, that will be job 1.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »
But when did Wilson ever get a chance to shoot? He only took more than 3 shots in a game two times all of last year, and in both of those he shot 50% or better from the field. He simply wasn't asked to score. And criticizing his 3P% just doesn't make sense. He took 7 threes all last year! Of course you won't find any rhythm when on average you go 5 games between attempts. And despite that, his 3P% was comparable to both Blue as a freshman and Junior as a sophomore.

I think it's silly to try to judge Derrick's offensive game on what he's been able to show so far. I think it's pretty clear he's had at best a yellow light when it came to shooting. And his A:T ratio was better than 3:1. It's funny that back in November so many people were clamoring for DW to start yet now the perception is we're better off with a freshman who's never played a minute of D1 ball. I hope for the best from Duane, but he didn't show me anything for Marquette last year to indicate he should be starting. And yes, I realize that was impossible. But unless you're a top-10 recruit, I'll put my trust in the junior who's played in 68 D1 games.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »
But when did Wilson ever get a chance to shoot? He only took more than 3 shots in a game two times all of last year, and in both of those he shot 50% or better from the field. He simply wasn't asked to score. And criticizing his 3P% just doesn't make sense. He took 7 threes all last year! Of course you won't find any rhythm when on average you go 5 games between attempts. And despite that, his 3P% was comparable to both Blue as a freshman and Junior as a sophomore.

I think it's silly to try to judge Derrick's offensive game on what he's been able to show so far. I think it's pretty clear he's had at best a yellow light when it came to shooting. And his A:T ratio was better than 3:1. It's funny that back in November so many people were clamoring for DW to start yet now the perception is we're better off with a freshman who's never played a minute of D1 ball. I hope for the best from Duane, but he didn't show me anything for Marquette last year to indicate he should be starting. And yes, I realize that was impossible. But unless you're a top-10 recruit, I'll put my trust in the junior who's played in 68 D1 games.

Legitimate point. I guess I'm saying I don't ever see him having a "green" light.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 12:38:59 PM »
My hope is that Duane is good enough from the get-go to play at least 16 mpg in an offense/defense type rotation similar to Gardner & Otule.  I think we'd be more than fine with that setup, and if we go to more of a pressure type defense, it would actually be idea.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 12:42:18 PM »
Sure, Derrick Wilson doesn't turn the ball over, but he also doesn't threaten to score, and he doesn't get assists.  It's easy not to turn the ball over when your touches consist of dribbling around 25-30 feet from the basket and then passing back to someone who is even further from the basket.  His value up until now is that he has been a good defender (though a bit foul-prone) and that he doesn't get his pocket picked much.  

If he is going to be our PG next year, he had better turn the ball over more often, because he has to initiate offense, which means getting into the teeth of the defense (or at least probing it) and trying to find good shots for guys.  Up until now, he hasn't done that.  As a starting PG getting 25 mpg, that will be job 1.

Derrick averaged 1.6 assists in 13.1 minutes. That's 4.9 assists per 40. Junior averaged 5.4 assists per 40 (3.8 assists in 28.1 min).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 12:47:07 PM »
Two excellent points made by posters re Derrick:

1. He hasn't been a threat to either score or get assists. He was content to dribble for a bit and pass to teammates standing outside.

2. He wasn't asked to do enough offensively (or chose not to do more) to make a real judgment going forward.

That's why I believe only two words apply when talking about Derrick going forward:

We'll see.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 01:02:22 PM »
Unless he makes a dramatic improvement, opponents will beg him to shoot it.  When you are playing 4 against 5 on offense, it makes it a lot more difficult for the other 4 guys to score.  This could be a significant weakness next year.

It was a significant weakness this year. Junior can't shoot either.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 01:10:02 PM »
Derrick averaged 1.6 assists in 13.1 minutes. That's 4.9 assists per 40. Junior averaged 5.4 assists per 40 (3.8 assists in 28.1 min).

Good stat...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 01:12:05 PM »

I don't find it that incredible.  He doesn't leave his feet to defend the shot.  That isn't a bad trait for a guard to possess.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 01:31:10 PM »
That's why I believe only two words apply when talking about Derrick going forward:

We'll see.

Good point.  I'm not willing to write him off - I'll never write off another upperclassman under Buzz.  But until I see it with my own two eyes I won't believe he's a scorer/distributor.  Which, if we can get that out of Duane in split minutes while Derrick plays tenacious D on the opposition PG and protects the ball, we'll still be a high-level team.  Also, we've beaten some good teams in big games with Derrick getting heavy minutes.  @UW 2011, @Pitt 2012, and Butler vs. the tourney come to mind.  I think he's good enough for us to win games as is, any improvement on the offensive end will be all the better in my mind.

MU_LOL

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »
Fun stats, thanks for putting it together. 

Agreed!
I'm Ron Burgundy?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 03:57:23 PM »

We'll see.

I agree with this.  Maurice Acker faced a lot of the same issues when he was forced to fill in when D James went down.  He came back the next year a much more aggressive offensive player.  Hopefully De Wilson will be much more aggressive on offense when he is the number 1 PG. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 04:00:36 PM »
I agree with this.  Maurice Acker faced a lot of the same issues when he was forced to fill in when D James went down.  He came back the next year a much more aggressive offensive player.  Hopefully De Wilson will be much more aggressive on offense when he is the number 1 PG. 

The only thing Mo Acker and Der Wilson have in common is that they are undersized (short) and play PG.

Mo had a great shot (sometimes trouble getting it off) but got manhandled by bigger guards. Derrick holds his ground very well against bulkier guards.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »
Acker improved his PPP from .778 in 117 possession during the 2008-'09 season to .997 in 297 possessions his senior year.

For comparison, Wilson had a PPP of .476 this season, ranking in the bottom 8% of all players in D1, 2, and 3. I do think he can improve on it but even if he made an Acker-like leap offensively, that would still make him a below average offensive player.

Wilson has high value on the team, but don't expect him to become a scorer any time soon.

Finally, his low turnover finish to the season also coincided with his least aggressive period offensively. He only scored 5 points in the last 15 games to go along with those 4 turnovers. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 04:16:10 PM »
They won't need Derrick Wilson to score.  There will be a lot of offensive weapons on the floor.  Create offense...limit turnovers...play good defense, and he will be fine.  The issue is can he really "create offense."

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 04:30:11 PM »
Seems we've forgotten the Madison game last year....

That is what he is capable of.

Anyone remember why jr was in a time out for that game?

feedback