'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: First team all-Big East? Dominic James?  (Read 2925 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
First team all-Big East? Dominic James?
« on: March 06, 2007, 01:21:49 PM »
Dominic James has not had the season to warrant his being named first team all-Big East. Of anyone who plays for Marquette, Jerel McNeal comes closest to deserving the recognition.

Yes, James has had moments where his play has been noteworthy and exciting. But he has had many more moments where his play has been woeful and his on-court judgment and decisions have left much to be desired.

If anything, I could see McNeal as first team all-Big East and James as second team. I certainly cannot agree with Coach Crean that James has “earned” first team honors. James’ play has been too unreliable and inconsistent.

It makes no sense that Crean said of James, “I think anytime you get honored in this league, there's no question you earned it. …”

It is nice to see Marquette players listed among the best in the Big East, which places them among the best in the nation. But we all know that James’ play this season would hardly qualify him as that.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
Re: First team all-Big East? Dominic James?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 01:27:48 PM »
I would agree about James and McNeal swapping places on 1st and 2nd team, but what is Crean suppossed to say?  I think his comments were fine.  He's not going to criticize his player, saying he didn't deserve it, which in turn is actually criticizing the voters.  Maybe next year they'll say, Crean doesn't want my vote, I won't give it to him.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 01:29:22 PM »
Dominic James has not had the season to warrant his being named first team all-Big East. Of anyone who plays for Marquette, Jerel McNeal comes closest to deserving the recognition.

Yes, James has had moments where his play has been noteworthy and exciting. But he has had many more moments where his play has been woeful and his on-court judgment and decisions have left much to be desired.

If anything, I could see McNeal as first team all-Big East and James as second team. I certainly cannot agree with Coach Crean that James has “earned” first team honors. James’ play has been too unreliable and inconsistent.

It makes no sense that Crean said of James, “I think anytime you get honored in this league, there's no question you earned it. …”

It is nice to see Marquette players listed among the best in the Big East, which places them among the best in the nation. But we all know that James’ play this season would hardly qualify him as that.

Fair enough but it should be noted that the coaches vote for the teams. So that means James must have done something right for 15 coaches to vote him 1st team.

marquetteff03

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 01:35:32 PM »
There is a lot more to a player than points.

McNeal plays out of control and has more turnovers than steals  ::)

James on the other hand makes everyone around him better, there are a lot of players on our team who cannot create their own shot and without James stretching the D they would have a tough time (Fitz & Ousmane)

Now obviously if James could shoot at all he would be a top 10 pick, but that doesn't mean he isn't the best pg in the BE

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Of course James did some things ‘right’
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 01:41:29 PM »
But not to the extent that Big East coaches should have bestowed on James the highest recognition within their control.

It can be argued that James’ play was key to many of Marquette’s losses, especially late-season losses, this season. His play and judgment in some games were outrageous.

James' sophomore season did not provide the stuff of first team honors -- no matter how the coaches voted. If anything, their having voted for James trivializes the recognition.

Gomarq1

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 02:02:43 PM »
To some extent James was a victim of last years sucess. Expectations of many were overly high. He is a very very good pointguard even with the shortcomings he has. I would still take James over any other PG in the league - and if you can say that, then he belongs on the 1st team list.

If you say he does not belong, then you are saying no PG from a 16 team BE conference should make it - sorry, but I dont buy that. Alot of people will throw Reynolds name out there, and he certainly had a really good year and played very well at the end, but when looking at the entire year, overall James still gets the nod.

You need to keep in mind that the coaches vote for this, these are the same guys that specifically game plan to stop, or at least slow down one guy on MU and that is James. He still stuffs the stat sheet even if he does not shoot the ball consistently.

You can not bring up games you feel were lost due to James without also stating the obvious which is we would have lost a hell of lot more without him on the floor. Bottom line he belongs on the list!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 02:05:37 PM by Gomarq1 »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 02:36:24 PM »
Ok Ave, question.  You're picking the first team all-big east.  The first team MUST have a point guard.  Who do you chose?

McNeal may have meant more to Marquette, but when comparing him to the rest of the good shooting guards in the big east, hard to put him on the first team.

Remember, the selections aren't based on who was more important to MU, but rather how well they played verses their counterparts in the big east.  Hard not to say DJ is the best PG in the big east right now.  I think every team would consider benching their current PG if they had James.

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
Why does everyone on this blog feel the need to rip Dominic to pieces..if only they realized this team would be nothing without him. Sweet post..I love people that choose to not support our players.
Tradition Never Graduates..

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 04:02:06 PM »
I think James is underappreciated on this board b/c his shot selection in some games were so poor that they left many of us frustrated with him.  But letting that frustration cloud the fact of the value he brings to the team, even in losses, is not fair to him at all.  And to make a bigger stink about him being on the first team instead of Wes not even getting honorable mention is downright wrong.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 05:31:13 PM »
"Ok Ave, question.  You're picking the first team all-big east.  The first team MUST have a point guard.  Who do you chose?"

If Scottie Reynolds is considered a point guard then I pick him. If he's considered an off guard I pick DJ

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 06:06:33 PM »
Congrats to DJ.  Well deserved IMO.  He is definitely either #1 or #2 point guards in the Big East depending on one qualifies some of the other guards in the league.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 07:00:03 PM »
Hoop Dreams is right

We have to stop bashing the reason we are where we are

Dominic has bad shot selection because half the time there is no offense to Crean and he is stuck trying to create something on his own

Dominic deserves 1st team big east - period

feedback