[May 19, 2024, 06:23:47 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Schedule Talk with Mike Broeker by Shooter McGavin
[May 19, 2024, 01:06:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: All-Star Game  (Read 5575 times)

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
All-Star Game
« on: July 11, 2007, 09:18:39 AM »
Anyone watch the All-Star game last night?

I caught a few innings but my interest level was low since the Sox only had one player selected.

American League, ten years in a row now.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
Re: All-Star Game
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 09:44:41 AM »
I know they are staunch rivals and all, but did anyone else think it was classless for the Giants fans to boo the Dodger players during the announcing of the lineups?  I mean, it is an all-star game.  For some reason, I can't remember that happening in recent memory, but I could be completely wrong since I usually quickly lose interest in the ASG and especially the opening lineups.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:46:35 AM »
At the All-Star Game in 2003, every Cubs player was roundly booed by the White Sox fans in attendance at US Cellular Field.

I remember Kerry Wood being introduced, booed heartily, and he burst out laughing as he tipped his cap.  That was funny.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 10:15:24 AM »
Well then I was wrong.  I tried thinking back to that game because I am a Cubs fan, but I have a feeling I didn't even pay attention to that game.  Seems to be the case with the ASG as I am getting older.

And La Russa not pinch hitting Pujols with the bases loaded and the NL down a run in the bottom of the 9th... yea, so much for the whole "this time it counts" slogan that the MLB is trying to do with the ASG.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 10:18:33 AM »
I remember the 2003 all-star game vividly because as a White Sox fan, I was pumped about the game being played at The Cell, and also, because then-Sox pitcher Esteban Loaiza was the starting pitcher for the AL.

And, it was my 22nd birthday, so I was just starting the Irish car-bombs at the bar when the game introductions began.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 10:46:50 AM »
I know they are staunch rivals and all, but did anyone else think it was classless for the Giants fans to boo the Dodger players during the announcing of the lineups?  I mean, it is an all-star game.  For some reason, I can't remember that happening in recent memory, but I could be completely wrong since I usually quickly lose interest in the ASG and especially the opening lineups.

Extremely, they booed the Dodger players, a couple Padres and the lady that couldn't get her technical difficulties out of the way before a not so great rendition of "God Bless America" gotta love San Fran  :P

And either way, ChiSox fans aren't known for being the greatest in baseball either...no offense but seriously...and I am dating one so I feel I can make that claim w/o being overly biased (Go BREWERS!!)

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 10:57:21 AM »
As a die-hard White Sox fan, I would agree that Sox fans aren't exactly the, um, most welcoming bunch around.  We're so used to being dumped on by the Chicago media and all of the faux Cubs fans that we have a well-developed clannish nature and inherent bitterness towards outsiders, especially the Cubs and their followers.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 07:57:55 PM »
The booing was NOT classless; it's all in the name of rivalry.

It echoes of almost a century long disdain between the two clubs.

I would expect nothing less from the Giants Faithful.

SS Marquette

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 09:16:21 AM »
I would expect that for one day out of the year, they can look at someone as a great player, and decent person (except for a select few) and not as a rival player...I hate the Cubs but when D Lee makes the All-Star game, I'll support him and did. He's a good player and if you'll pick him for fantasy teams, I say support him for an All-Star game.  Those players will not always play for the Padres or the Dodgers...now in sports it's very rare to find someone like Craig Biggio, not only a great guy but loyal to one team his whole career. 

And while I absolutely despise the Yankees, I can't boo Jeter or Posada, I try to find things wrong w/ them or a reason to boo them but I can't. Maybe the fans of San Fran should have tried to put team differences aside for one day and then hate away for the other 364 days of the year.

feedback