[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Thank you Decider  (Read 22121 times)

mviale

• All American
Thank you Decider
« on: July 03, 2007, 05:24:54 PM »
Militant Islam - isnt just for the poor anymore. However, the BBC is known to be far left.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6267194.stm
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

tower912

• All American
Re: Thank you Decider
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 07:44:50 PM »
Militant islam existed before GWB, it will exist after.   W may be the worst president in history, IMO, but militant Islam was not created by him.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 10:09:01 PM »
True, but he has definitely encouraged it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 11:22:16 PM »

He has "encouraged" militant Islam....good grief.  This is a new low.

As for W being the worst President, I love the hyperbole.  What exactly is being used as a comparison?

Let's just compare Jimmy Carter to Bush.

Unemployment.  Bush 5%   Carter 8.9%

Interest Rates   Bush 6.5%  Carter 21.5%  (the highest in US HISTORY...EVER)

Inflation over 12% when Carter left in 1980....12PERCENT!!!

GDP not even close

Gas lines...those were a blast.

Islamic extremists take American hostages for 444 days and nothing done about it.  Throws Shah of Iran out and puts Khomeni in power...talk about "encouraging Islamic Extremists"...is there another event in the last 100 years in the Middle East that did not encourage and empower Islamic extremism then the way Carter handled the Shah and the American hostages. Iran was a STAUNCH ALLY with the Shah....what a disaster when Carter F'd that up.

Gave away...let me repeat...GAVE AWAY the Panama Canal

US Olympic Boycott in Moscow

It's not even close....I don't know how any rational person can compare the Bush and Carter presidencies and conclude anything differently unless you weren't around to live through that time.  Depressing doesn't even begin to cut it.

Using Carter's OWN MISERY Index it's Carter at 16.27 and Bush at 7.96....less than half what a miserable joke Carter's ONE TERM was.

You guys must be 20 years old for you to forget how low this country got with Carter at the helm...it was the lowest of the lows...the lowest in the 20th century on ALL FRONTS.  There's a reason why an old, California Republican came in and beat him by almost 10 percentage points and an electoral win of 489 to 49...an absolute thrashing.

Carter will hold that mantle for years to come.  He was horrible at home and even worse in foreign relations with ONE exception...Israel and Egypt.  Our status took an enormous hit, our military readiness was a disaster, the policies at home a complete joke.

PS  And who can forget in 1979 when Carter was attacked by a bunny rabbit.  You cannot make this up.

http://www.narsil.org/politics/carter/killer_rabbit.html
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 12:02:22 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
interesting piece...Americans have it very good
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 11:44:08 PM »
Again, I can only assume some of you are in your teens or early 20's....you've never had it so good.  An interesting piece by Craig Smith. He calls Americans what they are....ungrateful BRATS!  He's dead on right.

------------------------

"The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right?

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the president. In essence 2/3s of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, ''What we are so unhappy about?''

Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter? Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job? Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state? Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings.

Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes , an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90 percent of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world? Maybe that is what has 67 percent of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have , and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the President who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The President who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same President who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The President that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks?

The commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me? Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad?

Think about it.....are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the "Media" told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day.

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go

They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an ''other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans? Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells , and when criticized, try to defend their actions by "justifying" them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it this way......Insane!

Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

We are among the most blessed people on Earth and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative."

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 11:47:16 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 08:07:23 AM »
"Bush the worst president"-----great economy, no domestic terrorism since the wake up call of 9/11, Medicare D, which cut drug costs in at least half, and shaping the Supreme Court to the right for probably a generation------an outstanding legacy, which will grow as the historians analyze these achievements and others years from now!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 09:27:51 AM »

you must have been the guy that I was standing next to at Sendiks on Downer watching 9/11 unfold that said "this never would have happened if Al Gore was elected."   ::)

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 09:46:01 AM »
I go to Sendiks, but not on Downer.

Al Gore is delusional----sticks to his global warming theory as man made (emissions) even though scientists say that the surface of Mars is warming as well (lots of cars and smokestacks up there I guess)!

The history of this country has been that the right man comes along at the right time as president-----it was divine providence that Gore lost to Bush!

Pakuni

• All American
Re: interesting piece...Americans have it very good
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 01:11:11 PM »
Again, I can only assume some of you are in your teens or early 20's....you've never had it so good.  An interesting piece by Craig Smith. He calls Americans what they are....ungrateful BRATS!  He's dead on right.

Interesting timing on this post.

No doubt roughly 231 years ago there were intelligent, well-to-do, privileged men who stood before a legislative body in Philadelphia and argued that the people of America were ungrateful BRATS. That they just didn't understand how good they had it as part of the world's dominant empire. That they possessed freedoms and riches most of the world could only imagine.

Mr. Smith, it seems, is a Loyalist.

Fortunately, the other side of that debate won out. The other side was full of men who were not content to say, "We've got it good enough: After all 20 percent of white men in this country own a buggy. Thirty percent own a home. Ten percent own at least one slave. Ain't life swell?"
They saw a pretty decent circumstance and decided they wanted something better.

I think the best way to honor those men and those followed them is to strive for what they strived for: a more perfect union. This means always seeking ways to make America more perfect, not resting on our laurels.

If you and Mr. Smith are satisfied with the status quo, so be it. Far be it for me to tell you how to believe. Me, though, I'll be more like our Founding Fathers and believe we can always do better.

Happy Independence Day to all.
Except perhaps Mr. Smith, who may prefer St. George's Day.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 01:13:04 PM by Pakuni »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 01:52:53 PM »
I'm in my 40's, and I do remember Carter.   Carter was incompetent.  Bush combines that with the dishonesty of Nixon.   The fact that you can only defend Bush by saying, 'Oh, yeah, what about Carter' speaks volumes.
I would agree that Americans are brats, but for different reasons.   They want clean air, good roads, good schools, police and fire protection, but they don't want to pay for it.  Taxes are not evil, they are the price we pay to participate in society. They want honest politicians, but they won't support them at the grassroots.   They vote against their self interests because demagogues scare them into thinking two men in love is a threat to them.    They want jobs kept in America, but they won't buy American.    They want the biggest cars and the cheapest gas, not realizing the two aren't always compatible.    They want wholesome entertainment, but don't watch wholesome shows or go to family movies.    They want pills to help them get through what is commonly thought of as life.   People in third world nations don't worry about lactose intolerance or whether their chicken is free range.   They want safe boob jobs, a pill to make their penis larger, and to be able to have sex in their 80's.    They want a house in the foothills around L.A, away from everybody else, but they get mad because no one protected their house from a forest/brush fire.    They are absent parents because they are still as narcissistic as teenagers themselves, while complaining about the behavior of other people's kids and naively thinking that their own are perfect despite the fact they are substituting an XBox 360 for actual parenting.    Simultaneously, they are overprotecting their children on sports fields while letting them surf the internet unsupervised.
Yes, Americans are spoiled brats.     Thinking Bush is a lousy president is not what makes them so.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 02:55:07 PM »
Tower----Who is defending GWB by saying "what about Carter"-----I would agree that is a lousy defense.

GWB's record vs terrorism with no attacks here since the 9/11 wake up call (6 years ago)----has decapitated Al Quida and forced them into an internet army/organization unable to train & plan centrally as before---- one of the all time best economies ever(remember the 2003 tax cut?)--------lowered the drug bills of seniors by 50% and put a cap of around $2,500 on out of pocket-----and set a conservative path to the supreme court that will probably last a generation-----all of these are extraordinary achievements!

That's why the liberal media doesn't like him and harps on Iraq-----because he's been so effective in other areas----but the last story of Iraq has yet to be told!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 03:55:25 PM »
Balanced budget and surplus under Clinton, genius.    Overturning Brown v. Board of Education and Roe v. Wade as the highlight legacies of his presidency are hardly reasons to celebrate.   Paying for a war with tax cuts, thereby passing the costs on to our children and grandchildren, also not something to gloat about.   Lying about the costs of his medicare/medicaid bill and bringing it in at 40% above the original costs, smashing!    Attacking a country that had nothing to do with the attacks on us and bogging down our military while simultaneously providing a training ground for generations of terrorists....You are absolutely right as always, Murf.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
Debt isn't bad as long as it's "manageable debt"----and 3% of GDP (under Bush) is very manageable. IBM borrows money, AT&T borrows money, and so does every other company listed on the NYSE and whats more they hold as much as 50% of their capital structures in long term debt----so why can't the federal government borrow "as needed"! The fact that long term rates are at only 5% in the face of all these corporate leveraged buyouts should tell you that federal borrowing hasn't been excessive!

You borrow in recessions to stimulate the economy (2002-03 tax cuts)-----and pay it back during the good times 2004-2007 & beyond as tax receipts increase.

Taking out Saddam was an essential part of the war on terror (for reasons I've cited here many times)----in time this will in all probability have to be extended to Iran ----unless the Iranians kick out the mullahs!

The only way this is a plus for Al Quida in Iraq is if we allow them to win like you and the Dems want them too----how's that's being patriotic? (referencing your Cal Thomas/Greenberg post)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 08:26:17 AM by Murffieus »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 08:08:35 PM »
Balanced budget and surplus under Clinton, genius.    Overturning Brown v. Board of Education and Roe v. Wade as the highlight legacies of his presidency are hardly reasons to celebrate.   Paying for a war with tax cuts, thereby passing the costs on to our children and grandchildren, also not something to gloat about.   Lying about the costs of his medicare/medicaid bill and bringing it in at 40% above the original costs, smashing!    Attacking a country that had nothing to do with the attacks on us and bogging down our military while simultaneously providing a training ground for generations of terrorists....You are absolutely right as always, Murf.

Brown and Roe were overturned?
Ummm ... when?
If anything, ther latest ruling regarding school segregation stregthens Brown, not weakens it. Afetr all, the intent of Brown was to prevent assigning students to schools on the basis of their race. The new ruling says the same.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 02:44:28 PM »
The carter distraction is a common defense for regressives.  Regressives are fond of the diversion method when their party breaks the law or will not admit fault.

Bush has been bad for our country and we will need to fix his ill policies without the regressives as they cant see beyond flag waving and party.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 03:12:22 PM »
"Bush bad for the country"

Presently one of the very best economic expansions of all time-----five year onging now and counting-----remember the Bush tax cut? Supply side economics!

No terrorist attacks here since the wakeup call of 9/11 (taking the offense in Iraq, afghanistan and Homeland security directly responsible for that----remember the patriot act?)

Medicare D has cut the cost of medical drugs in half for seniors----while capping the cost at $2,500 worst case/year

Bush has set the tone for a conservative supreme court for a generation-----bye, bye, abortion!

"bad for the country", Mvail?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 03:23:32 PM »

Brown and Roe were overturned?
Ummm ... when?
If anything, ther latest ruling regarding school segregation stregthens Brown, not weakens it. Afetr all, the intent of Brown was to prevent assigning students to schools on the basis of their race. The new ruling says the same.

In a moment that hasn't happened in a long time, Pakuni and I are on the same page.  When was Roe overturned or Brown?

Good Lord Tower...please get a hold of yourself. 

mviale

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 03:27:05 PM »
bad for the country as a whole, not the blind 20% that will follow him thru thick and thin.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 03:34:32 PM »

No Tower, I just picked one president very quickly just in the last 2+ decades to put your ridiculous "worst president' BDS moment on ice.  I could compare Bush to others, but what's the point...you've made up your mind.

As for the lying stuff....I've asked time and time and time again...when did Bush lie.  Please provide examples.  You guys keep coming up with Iraq and WMD yet just about every expert in the world said the same thing as did the administration preceding him...were they "all in on the lie".  And if he lied, then why didn't he plant WMD there to continue the lie?  Again, just give me the examples...that's all I'm asking for.

For your other comments, we were in a Recession at the end of Clinton's term...the "surplus" never existed under real accounting practices...only in the US government can you use Social Security trust funds to cover up the actual deficit which is what every President has done of late....there is no surplus and never was one and there have been plenty of articles by people much smarter than you or I combined that have proven this.

And the Lying about the costs of his medicaid...my goodness...wow if I had a nickle for everytime.  Can you name a Republican or Democrat social program in the last 100 years that wasn't about 5X what they projected it to be?  Why in the hell do you think so many conservatives are scared $hitless about your single payer user healthcare system?  Because we all know it's going to be so far over what you guys say it will cost it won't be funny.

Finally....it's really hard for me to get outraged like you apparently are over Iraq without seeing your outrage when we attacked Panama, Grenada, Kosovo, why we were in Mogadishu, why we attacked Korea, and on and on where there have been no attacks on us yet we had no trouble being there.  

Speaking of LIES....please let us now about that overturning of Brown v Board and Roe v Wade...I'm beginning to wonder who is actually doing the lying around here  ::)

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 03:34:58 PM »

Presently one of the very best economic expansions of all time-----five year onging now and counting-----remember the Bush tax cut? Supply side economics!

No terrorist attacks here since the wakeup call of 9/11 (taking the offense in Iraq, afghanistan and Homeland security directly responsible for that----remember the patriot act?)

Medicare D has cut the cost of medical drugs in half for seniors----while capping the cost at $2,500 worst case/year

Bush has set the tone for a conservative supreme court for a generation-----bye, bye, abortion!

Did you even take economics in college?  Bush's tax cuts are a great thing so long as they are offset by equal cuts in government spending... which obviously has not been the case!  The tax cuts are great in the short run, but in a long run, the deficit has to be taken care of at some point, which is going to result in someone (probably a Dem) increasing taxes.  Wonder why the dollar has been so weak?  The deficit is part of the reason.

The tax cut is going to be problematic in the long run.  Brad DeLong, an economist at UC-Berkeley seems to agree as well and so do several other well known economists, including members of our own Marquette faculty.

And setting a conservative bias on the Supreme Court is a good thing?  I thought it was supposed to focus on the interpretation of the law from an unbiased point of view?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 03:37:12 PM »

Did you even take economics in college?  Bush's tax cuts are a great thing so long as they are offset by equal cuts in government spending... which obviously has not been the case!  The tax cuts are great in the short run, but in a long run, the deficit has to be taken care of at some point, which is going to result in someone (probably a Dem) increasing taxes.  Wonder why the dollar has been so weak?  The deficit is part of the reason.

The tax cut is going to be problematic in the long run.  Brad DeLong, an economist at UC-Berkeley seems to agree as well and so do several other well known economists, including members of our own Marquette faculty.

And setting a conservative bias on the Supreme Court is a good thing?  I thought it was supposed to focus on the interpretation of the law from an unbiased point of view?

And there are plenty of economists from Stanford, Harvard, etc that disagree Eagle.   Tax cuts create growth and capital investment because people have liquidity.  I totally agree with you about the spending...which is again reason number 2342384237423947234 why Bush is no conservative.  How about we cut spending...something most Democrats abhor.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 03:44:25 PM »

And there are plenty of economists from Stanford, Harvard, etc that disagree Eagle.   Tax cuts create growth and capital investment because people have liquidity.  I totally agree with you about the spending...which is again reason number 2342384237423947234 why Bush is no conservative.  How about we cut spending...something most Democrats abhor.

At least we agree on something Chico's.  I read something earlier today (I believe it was actually in Brad DeLong's blog, but I'm not sure) that there are two parties in this country.  The Tax and Spend party and the No Tax and Spend party.  No politician is ever concerned about budgets.

But the tax cuts create liquidity which creates growth in the short run.  Eventually, something needs to be done to rid the deficit and that will be either taxation or inflation will take place (simply a subtle form of taxation).  His tax cuts were great to take away the mini recession that was brought about by 9/11, but many see trouble in the coming years.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:48:53 PM by eaglewarrior08 »

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 03:47:29 PM »
Bush has been bad for our country and we will need to fix his ill policies without the regressives as they cant see beyond flag waving and party.

BLIND HATRED.  bush has not been bad for this country...  some of you need to get a grip and be a little more open-minded instead of a parrot who repeats everything you hear from rosie o'donnells lips.

this country is in great shape.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:49:33 PM by jutaw22mu »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Bush economy ranks near the top
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 03:57:42 PM »
Ironically...or certainly coincidentally, two articles today about the Bush economy ranking near or at the top compared to other administrations past.

http://newsbusters.org/node/13925

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Bush economy ranks near the top
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 04:09:06 PM »
Ironically...or certainly coincidentally, two articles today about the Bush economy ranking near or at the top compared to other administrations past.

http://newsbusters.org/node/13925

I'm a little suspicious of an index that tells me Carter's economy was better than Reagan's.
That said, these indices don't exactly tell the whole story. Improving business conditions, while certainly an important measure of the economy, doesn't mean people are better off. If anything, most of the data out there indicates the opposite.
The housing market is in decline.
Real wages are in decline.
The CPI - fueled largely by gas prices (pun intended) - is way up.
So, for the average person, the value of their largest investment is declining, and their pay isn't keeping up with the cost of living. Hooray!

feedback