[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka to MU (Done deal v. 2.0)  (Read 48518 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Shaka to MU (Done deal v. 2.0)
« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2021, 06:42:06 PM »
Seen a few tweets like this. It seems he was very well liked by those who worked with him and that he’s a really good guy.

https://twitter.com/slaternfl/status/1375994845311823876?s=21

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2021, 06:45:48 PM »
1. You disliked Too Tanned Tommy.
2. You hated the Buzzard.
3. You really hated Wojo.
4. You like Shaka.....as long as he stays in his lane. You know he won’t stay in his lane....so you announce you will not like him when he weaves outside of the lane you desire.
Great job.

C'mon man, I know Rocky elevated me to rock star status, but don't put words in my mouth. Allow me to correct the record.
1. Was a fan and supported T-Cubed until he got exposed on college basketball's biggest stage as a fraud and a phony. After that I couldn't wait for this self-promoting con man to leave. Will continue to celebrate FFC every April 1. Crean sucks.

2. Completely wrong. Was not in favor of his hiring, but he quickly won me over with his style of play and winning ways. Buzz is sly like a fox, but it was time to move on from him.

3. Never did and still don't hate Woj. In a way, I feel sorry for him, if that's possible to feel for someone who made $millions, being as incompetent as he is. Was completely over his head in this job from day 1 and never got better. I called him out in year 2 for not having the chops or intellect to coach on this level. My opinion has not changed.

4. Love the Shaka hire. He's the right man at the right time to lead this storied program out of Woj hell and back to national prominence. I don't give a chit whether he "stays in his lane" or not. Pay attention now. I want to be clear in stating that that I am not interested at all in celebrity statements of any sort, including social justice or injustice. In my opinion that distracts from the task at hand and should be reserved for those more qualified and in a position to institute policy. My concern is your effectiveness on the court, field, or movie screen. I am on record in total support of the phrase, Black Lives Matter. What rational, compassionate person, who cherishes the goodness of human life would not be? What I vehemently oppose and despise is BLM, Inc. which is a Marxist, anti-Semitic, hate group that has a agenda of overthrowing democracy and has ridden on the coattails of Black Lives Matter and the uninformed, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2021, 06:54:24 PM »

C'mon man, I know Rocky elevated me to rock star status, but don't put words in my mouth. Allow me to correct the record.
1. Was a fan and supported T-Cubed until he got exposed on college basketball's biggest stage as a fraud and a phony. After that I couldn't wait for this self-promoting con man to leave. Will continue to celebrate FFC every April 1. Crean sucks.

2. Completely wrong. Was not in favor of his hiring, but he quickly won me over with his style of play and winning ways. Buzz is sly like a fox, but it was time to move on from him.

3. Never did and still don't hate Woj. In a way, I feel sorry for him, if that's possible to feel for someone who made $millions, being as incompetent as he is. Was completely over his head in this job from day 1 and never got better. I called him out in year 2 for not having the chops or intellect to coach on this level. My opinion has not changed.

4. Love the Shaka hire. He's the right man at the right time to lead this storied program out of Woj hell and back to national prominence. I don't give a chit whether he "stays in his lane" or not. Pay attention now. I want to be clear in stating that that I am not interested at all in celebrity statements of any sort, including social justice or injustice. In my opinion that distracts from the task at hand and should be reserved for those more qualified and in a position to institute policy. My concern is your effectiveness on the court, field, or movie screen. I am on record in total support of the phrase, Black Lives Matter. What rational, compassionate person, who cherishes the goodness of human life would not be? What I vehemently oppose and despise is BLM, Inc. which is a Marxist, anti-Semitic, hate group that has a agenda of overthrowing democracy and has ridden on the coattails of Black Lives Matter and the uninformed, hey?
Wow, well said and in my opinion 1000% correct on all points.  April 1 a big day only surpassed by may  1.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 07:07:54 PM by hairy worthen »

cj111

• Starter
« Reply #228 on: March 28, 2021, 07:45:09 PM »

What I vehemently oppose and despise is BLM, Inc. which is a Marxist, anti-Semitic, hate group that has a agenda of overthrowing democracy and has ridden on the coattails of Black Lives Matter and the uninformed, hey?

::)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 07:55:48 PM by cj111 »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #229 on: March 28, 2021, 07:47:55 PM »

100 percent!!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2021, 07:53:00 PM »
Seen a few tweets like this. It seems he was very well liked by those who worked with him and that he’s a really good guy.

https://twitter.com/slaternfl/status/1375994845311823876?s=21

Seems like a pretty legitimately decent guy. In one of the tweets announcing he was coming to MU, I also saw a lot of Texas and VCU people wishing him well and talking about how much he meant to their programs. Doesn’t sound like he burns bridges on the way out of town.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2021, 08:10:25 PM »
Tbf I wish Wojo well, and he was a good guy (if Magoo) and took care of the young men in this program. Doesn't mean he doesn't suck as a coach!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2021, 08:18:31 PM »

I mostly agree with you.  I respect your clarification and your opinion.  Thanks, doc.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #233 on: March 28, 2021, 08:20:42 PM »

Well stated.

Time for a nice fresh restart on the MU program.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #234 on: March 28, 2021, 09:21:17 PM »

Thanks for clearly expressing your thoughts, Doc. We all hope we have a lot of great seasons under Coach Smart.

At some point, perhaps at many points, Shaka and/or his players will take stances on important social issues. Lots of folks claim to not care about the stances of athletes, actors and other famous people ... but many of those folks end up caring very much -- as evidenced by the sometimes vicious, hateful reaction to those who quietly, peacefully protest during the anthem.

My only disagreement with you is that justice and equality in American society are more important than basketball, and I am proud when my alma mater's leaders and most visible people make strong statements.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #235 on: March 29, 2021, 08:12:22 AM »
I hope Shaka knocks out of the park on the court and in the community as well. Only follow up thought, he is paid for on court success and the rest is a bonus. I sincerely hope that both occur under the Shaka led program.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #236 on: March 29, 2021, 10:07:01 AM »
I hope Shaka knocks out of the park on the court and in the community as well. Only follow up thought, he is paid for on court success and the rest is a bonus. I sincerely hope that both occur under the Shaka led program.

Feels like we got a good one that can do both. Great personality and great fit for our program. Excited to see what he does (and I expect a lot of that to be on the court success).
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #237 on: March 29, 2021, 10:15:55 AM »
His wife Mayra looks to be very impressive. She is writing a book and has a passion for promoting literacy in children. She seemed to be very involved in that regard at Texas.

I think both will be great representatives of MU and lucky they will be at Marquette.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #238 on: March 29, 2021, 03:00:23 PM »
His wife Mayra looks to be very impressive. She is writing a book and has a passion for promoting literacy in children. She seemed to be very involved in that regard at Texas.

I think both will be great representatives of MU and lucky they will be at Marquette.

Dennis Gates' wife is impressive too..... Associate AD at Boston College.  There's some power couples out there for sure in college basketball. 

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #239 on: March 29, 2021, 04:05:57 PM »

Regarding literacy in children, that's a great fit. My wife graduated from the College of Education and that was a big goal for them too through the Hartman Center. https://www.marquette.edu/education/centers-and-clinics/hartman-literacy-center.php

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #240 on: March 29, 2021, 04:07:37 PM »
nm - wrong thread
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 04:15:53 PM by Skatastrophy »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #241 on: March 29, 2021, 04:13:46 PM »

I am going to disagree strongly on points one and two, but am with you 100% on three and especially four. I felt the season changed directions after the home game against UConn. No more of that - let's play ball.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2021, 04:17:50 PM »
I'm catching up on the presser between meetings.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm excited about getting back to a deflection-oriented defense.
32 a game is what? Every other possession? That struck me as a VERY high goal. Anything close to that would reflect an extremely active D

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2021, 04:18:58 PM »
I felt the season changed directions after the home game against UConn. No more of that - let's play ball.

Because they got boatraced over the last 15 minutes after being up 18?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #244 on: March 29, 2021, 04:29:08 PM »
32 a game is what? Every other possession? That struck me as a VERY high goal. Anything close to that would reflect an extremely active D

Buzz had our team's D getting over 16 TOs per game. 32 deflections a game sounds like it would get us there.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #245 on: March 29, 2021, 04:29:31 PM »
::)

It's 100% true.  They've got an official political party platform

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #246 on: March 29, 2021, 04:34:25 PM »
It's 100% true.  They've got an official political party platform

BLM, LLC does. 

That's not wholly representative of the BLM movement.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #247 on: March 29, 2021, 04:48:09 PM »
Buzz had our team's D getting over 16 TOs per game. 32 deflections a game sounds like it would get us there.
That would be awesome.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #248 on: March 29, 2021, 05:39:30 PM »
That would be awesome.

2020-2021 season Opponent Turnovers per Game (out of 347 total teams)

Marquette was ranked 343 - 10.9 opponent turnovers per game
Texas was 215 - 12.6
Abeline Christian was #1 - 18.8

Texas hasn't ranked in the top 100 in opponent turnovers per game in the past few years, so we may be getting our hopes a tad high.
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/opponent-turnovers-per-game

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2021, 10:08:59 PM »
2020-2021 season Opponent Turnovers per Game (out of 347 total teams)

Marquette was ranked 343 - 10.9 opponent turnovers per game
Texas was 215 - 12.6
Abeline Christian was #1 - 18.8

Texas hasn't ranked in the top 100 in opponent turnovers per game in the past few years, so we may be getting our hopes a tad high.
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/opponent-turnovers-per-game
This is what we call a Stat Tease!

- I am surprised by a metric the new coach mentions
- You rationalize that metric as something that has happened in our program in the past
- I get excited that the metric is within the realm of possibility
- You then provide proof that my enthusiasm is unfounded

I hope you're happy.

feedback