[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka to MU (Done deal v. 2.0)  (Read 48490 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Shaka to MU (Done deal v. 2.0)
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2021, 08:58:27 AM »
The Department watched Shaka, the Board was leaning Moser.

Lovell backed the Department.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2021, 09:11:33 AM »
I'm guessing the Board won out and choose the best minority candidate for the job. I'll also speculate that Scholl preferred Moser, as he was the safe selection.

This guess is wrong, but the two sides did differ on their preferred targets.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #202 on: March 28, 2021, 09:14:47 AM »
Glad you brought it up so let's keep it real. It was fairly obvious, early in this coaching search, that MU's administration wanted to hire an African-American coach this time. In fact, I posted that almost immediately. It was also speculated that Scholl and the Board differed on their choice. I'm guessing the Board won out and choose the best minority candidate for the job. I'll also speculate that Scholl preferred Moser, as he was the safe selection.
For the record, I would have been enthused with either because I want, foremost, for MU to win on the court and I believe both are capable of delivering that. My preference is Shaka for style of play and the feeling that he will be better able to recruit athletes needed, both to win in the BE and compete for a championship. Woj couldn't do that and I can understand elite athletes wanting nothing to do with him or a program that he leads. Frankly, he's just vanilla, in so many ways.
As for athletes and their outspoken views on social justice, I'm not interested in hearing them. Its a distraction from their task at hand. It doesn't move me in one direction or another whether celebrities endorse social justice, Wheaties, the death penalty, or bitcoins. Now, that doesn't mean I have no interest in these topics, and maybe I even will agree with their points of view, but I feel, I'm capable of sorting out the information and forming my opinions how and when I feel it's appropriate to do so. To be clear, if Shaka encourages like behavior from his team, I'll tune it out as well, hey?

I look forward to you keeping it real by tuning it out instead of ripping or mocking them, oona?

We Are Marquette!

EDIT: Based on what others are saying, it also appears that your speculation is wrong.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 09:20:31 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2021, 09:16:10 AM »
I'm guessing the Board won out and choose the best minority candidate for the job. I'll also speculate that Scholl preferred Moser, as he was the safe selection.

Swing and a very big miss.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #204 on: March 28, 2021, 09:21:56 AM »

As was stated, "I'm guessing....", hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2021, 09:24:26 AM »

Speakin' of misses, last I heard, Craig Smith was named Utah's coach, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2021, 09:25:28 AM »

Salty.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #207 on: March 28, 2021, 09:32:54 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #208 on: March 28, 2021, 09:36:08 AM »

Wait ... why was Smith a miss?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2021, 09:41:55 AM »

Might be a miss on MU's part. I think Utah got a good one. Might end up having to put this one on the things I got wrong list in a couple of years.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2021, 09:42:19 AM »
TAMU wuz blowin' da Smith horn, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2021, 09:43:31 AM »

Yeah, he’s a really good coach that’s been successful everywhere he’s gone.  Think he’ll do great at Utah.  But like all hires, it’s a crapshoot
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2021, 09:43:38 AM »
Wood bea a pisser if Stan got da Utah St. gig over Woj, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2021, 09:44:18 AM »

He said Smith was his preference, but I don't recall him saying he thought Smith would get the Marquette job.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2021, 09:51:19 AM »
Right now, the positions on who was the best choice really do not matter as the decision was made. I preferred Moser, and in about 2 years we should know better who was the best choice. A number of candidates would have been good choices. So let's wait a while before we start arguing whose manhood is better. Shaka looks like a good choice, and time will tell
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2021, 10:00:16 AM »
Lost in the discussion of Shaka vs. Moser is that the decision may have been based on how quickly the chosen candidate could turn things around and get Marquette back into contention as a major force in the BE. I was a Moser fan but I know that putting his system in place might have taken 3 years while Shaka could do it much sooner, perhaps even next season if he firms up the big 3 plus brings a couple of prized UT recruits in.

After 7 years of Wojo, the decision may have been made partially upon the turn around time as Marquette fans would not be patient. The poster illustrating 2 vultures on a branch with one vulture saying "Patience my ass! I'm going to go out and kill something!" comes to mind. I would have been willing to wait because I still have some reservations regarding Shaka, especially regarding the possibility that he might be a short timer, but I get the decision to hire Shaka. I think that he would have been chosen even without race being a factor.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2021, 10:04:12 AM »
Lost in the discussion of Shaka vs. Moser is that the decision may have been based on how quickly the chosen candidate could turn things around and get Marquette back into contention as a major force in the BE. I was a Moser fan but I know that putting his system in place might have taken 3 years while Shaka could do it much sooner, perhaps even next season if he firms up the big 3 plus brings a couple of prized UT recruits in.

After 7 years of Wojo, the decision may have been made partially upon the turn around time as Marquette fans would not be patient. The poster illustrating 2 vultures on a branch with one vulture saying "Patience my ass! I'm going to go out and kill something!" comes to mind. I would have been willing to wait because I still have some reservations regarding Shaka, especially regarding the possibility that he might be a short timer, but I get the decision to hire Shaka. I think that he would have been chosen even without race being a factor.

I think you are correct.  I think we would have already seen decommits and transfers with Moser (outside of the seniors).  Obviously the other shoe can still drop, but I am very encouraged if he can keep this group together, bring in some of the freshmen, and add a couple of UT recruits, that this team won't be lacking for talent.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JakeBarnes

• All American
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Shaka to MU??? (Done deal v. 2.0)
« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2021, 10:58:40 AM »

MU didn't have to pay UT boopkis, hey?

Hmmm, seems like we would have offered another school a similar deal to take Wojo off our hands. Good or bad sign?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #219 on: March 28, 2021, 12:00:03 PM »

7 years was too long to wait.

Pakuni

• All American

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #221 on: March 28, 2021, 02:05:54 PM »
Billy Gillespie?

Well, Scoop was ready to hire Slick Rick.  Why not Billy the G for the Mormans?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #222 on: March 28, 2021, 02:11:24 PM »
I get the decision to hire Shaka. I think that he would have been chosen even without race being a factor.

Yes. But aggrieved old white men don't want to hear that. To them, all of the Black head basketball coaches in Marquette history were just given the position because of their race.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #223 on: March 28, 2021, 05:42:38 PM »

My interest is MU basketball. Don't give a chit what actors, athletes, or others who feel the public needs to know what X's position on a newsworthy story happens to be. Concentrate on making yourself the best athlete or actor you can be. You don't have as much influence as you may think and automatically piss off half your fanbase by speaking out. As for John, I hope his Marquette degree serves him well, hey?
1. You disliked Too Tanned Tommy.
2. You hated the Buzzard.
3. You really hated Wojo.
4. You like Shaka.....as long as he stays in his lane. You know he won’t stay in his lane....so you announce you will not like him when he weaves outside of the lane you desire.
Great job.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #224 on: March 28, 2021, 05:53:04 PM »
1. You disliked Too Tanned Tommy.
2. You hated the Buzzard.
3. You really hated Wojo.
4. You like Shaka.....as long as he stays in his lane. You know he won’t stay in his lane....so you announce you will not like him when he weaves outside of the lane you desire.
Great job.
Just out of curiosity, define  what you mean by "staying in the lane" for Mr. Shaka.