[Today at 01:57:59 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:56:05 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Barro  (Read 2218 times)

Big Papi

• All American
Barro
« on: February 09, 2008, 11:13:01 AM »
Why doesn't he get more playing time?

All you have to do is watch the first 4 minutes of the ND game. 

GuyIncognito

• Starter
Re: Barro
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 11:23:20 AM »
I especially enjoyed when he got the dish, went up for a big slam, didn't get enough height, and missed his layup attempt while coming back to the ground.  Man is he good...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 11:46:46 AM »
3 fouls and at least 4 missed layups.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 12:36:33 PM »
He can't be expected to score every time; he's not a premier big man.  But giving him opportunities is the right thing to do for our offense, just don't expect points every time.  His defense on Harangody was phenominal though.  Crean should have taken him out after the second foul late in the first half.

timinatorx3

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 12:51:13 PM »
I feel like when you have a layup, you should be expected to score almost every time. Of course that's not just on Ooze. If Marquette made half of the layups they've missed today this game would be much closer. I won't get into the whole dropping passes thing, or falling to the ground after getting a rebound, or the goal tending, or catching passes while standing out of bounds, etc. Sorry, but this game is maddeningly frustrating. And anotehr missed layup as I finish typing this....

bma725

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 12:52:17 PM »
No one expects scoring every time, but 1 for 9 from a big man is inexcusable.  If he's going to be that bad there's no point in passing him the ball.  Burke has touched the ball twice and made both of his attempts.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:08:23 PM »
He messed up in so many different ways.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 01:10:39 PM »
For the team as a whole, "missed layups" also depends on your definition of a layup.  Half are poor finishes.  Half consist of four players from our team under the basket with four players from the other team with a size advantage, forcing us to put up shots that are close but still not good shots.

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 01:12:54 PM »
What about the hand in the basket!!!!!!!!!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 01:16:20 PM »
Barro also kept Harrongody at bay most of the game.  Barro is what he is, but I thought he played damn hard to today, especially on the boards and on defense.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 01:20:55 PM »
I'll agree he did shutdown Harrongody for the most part and even out rebounded him 12-11.

Pardner

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 01:55:56 PM »
Ooze had a horrible offensive game granted--especially for a 60% shooter.  That said, I still maintain that we were a better team with him starting and in there.  For once, we we didn't dig a hole right out of the box.  If you noticed, ND grew their leads when he went to the bench and TC brought in the smaller line-ups.  His presence on defense and the boards is obvious.  That said, I would have liked to see Trend in there earlier as a change of pace.  He was disrupting Hagrid quite a bit...and loved his energy on the press.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »
Missing chip shots the last six games ahs killed us - and it's not just Barro.  You can just about name anyone but Hayward adn it would apply.  We have missed dozens of no-footers for smoe crazy reason - I really don't understand it.  You don't see that a lot from other teams - it really is a gimme after you do all the work to get the ball in and to the hoop - yo have to make 75% of those minimum.  We drop those, and we could have won another 3.  Ton of points lost there.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 05:38:15 PM »
Barro also kept Harrongody at bay most of the game.  Barro is what he is, but I thought he played damn hard to today, especially on the boards and on defense.

I agree with Chicos. Yes, he missed some makeable shots, but he grabbed some big boards and did a decent job on Harongody. Plus, just the fact that he's in there as a threat on offense helps out DJ and others when they drive to the lane.

One thing I didn't understand is why he was in there in the first half with 2 fouls. I thought Burke gave us some decent minutes and should have been inserted when Barro picked up his second foul. He might have been at the scorer's table, but I'm not sure.

I also think part of Harongody's ineffectiveness early in the game was a result of his very early first foul. I think he was afraid to pick up another before the half.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 10:49:10 AM »
By the way, unless I'm reading the Wiki incorrectly, Barro picked up his 500th career rebound yesterday.